Comcast tests $30 fee that gets rid of internet data cap

jos

Here in Quebec it's 10$ per month to get unlimited. It's actually pretty cool because such option didn't even exist like 1-2 years ago. It was impossible to get a fast unlimited connection. 

Can't believe we'll finally catch up to US internet plans. It's just sad that it's not us doing better but you doing worst  :/

We get a 200GB cap. It's bullshit.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

500GB of reasonably stable (during the day-its shit at night) ADSL2+ @14.5Mbps down/1Mbps up for $60 month to month (aka no contract, a contract would only shave off $10 so not worth it). Oh and the customer support is better than Telstra's-which is odd since my ISP is a subsidiary of theirs.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

500GB of reasonably stable (during the day-its shit at night) ADSL2+ @14.5Mbps down/1Mbps up for $60 month to month (aka no contract, a contract would only shave off $10 so not worth it). Oh and the customer support is better than Telstra's-which is odd since my ISP is a subsidiary of theirs.

Last I cheked out plan was 70/20 for I don't remember how much

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I have comcast and whenever I go to their site it shows I've used 0gb/month. lol

Not that there is any other options here. Its either century link which is trash or satellite...

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max

Even Australia is beginning to do away with data caps. ADSL has pretty much no limit and Optus cable/NBN plans are unlimited.

Even Australia is beginning to do away with data caps. ADSL has pretty much no limit and Optus cable/NBN plans are unlimited.

Which is good for the areas that have it already or are getting it within the next couple of years. Everyone else however who's in an ADSL blackspot (my parents are a good example-my Mum has told Telstra repeatedly that she's not paying $150 for a service that gives less data then dialup and lower speeds) and almost in a wireless one while also not having the NBN planned in their area for the next 5+ years.......$150 a month for unreliable wireless is the best that they can get-and even then reception is poor and most of the time 3G-and even 2G when the network is under heavy load.

PMSL

So...do get something you should have gotten in the first place, you have to pay 30$ a month for it?

I'd rather just ditch the damn provider.

Oh my god, you poor soul. :(

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Which is good for the areas that have it already or are getting it within the next couple of years. Everyone else however who's in an ADSL blackspot (my parents are a good example-my Mum has told Telstra repeatedly that she's not paying $150 for a service that gives less data then dialup and lower speeds) and almost in a wireless one while also not having the NBN planned in their area for the next 5+ years.......$150 a month for unreliable wireless is the best that they can get-and even then reception is poor and most of the time 3G-and even 2G when the network is under heavy load.

Australia needs to stop bragging about its terrible Internet, if only labour were still in power, can't believe they went for the fibre to the node that stuff is only worth it in densely populated areas, and they limit the frequency too.

Australia needs to stop bragging about its terrible Internet, if only labour were still in power, can't believe they went for the fibre to the node that stuff is only worth it in densely populated areas, and they limit the frequency too.

Bragging? How the hell do you brag about shitty internet?

PMSL

Bragging? How the hell do you brag about shitty internet?

All I'll say is every time something is posted about 'look how bad the Internet is in America' someone from Australia shows them how bad things can really get.

Then there's the people from the rich tiny European countries going look at muh Fibre and then there's the Romanians with their GigaBit everywhere.

All I'll say is every time something is posted about 'look how bad the Internet is in America' someone from Australia shows them how bad things can really get.

Then there's the people from the rich tiny European countries going look at muh Fibre and then there's the Romanians with their GigaBit everywhere.

Its true though-that's the thing.

PMSL

haha 30 USD for unlimited. I can get 250mbps for 84$ a month CAD including no download cap.

Wish there was internet like that in Calgary.

I'm sure they'll follow this with "Now pay another 10 on top so your Netflix doesn't has an unfortunate case of congestion" This is just fucking mafia style rackets at this point.

-------

Current Rig

-------

this is such BS... yet i have no other highspeed internet option from another provider where i live... 

I too live in Oregon and am stuck with 12 down 1 up from frontier and that's the best I can get... GG

CPU: Intel i7 4770k w/Noctua NH-D15, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97 Ultra Durable, RAM: Patriot 8Gb 1600Mhz (2x4Gb), GPU: MSI R9 390x Gaming,

SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 1Tb, HDD: Caviar Black 1Tb, Seagate 4Tb Hybrid, Case: Fractal Design Define R4, PSU: Antec Earthwatts 750w 

Phone: LG G2 32Gb Black (Verizon) Laptop: Fujitsu Lifebook E754 w/ 1TB Samsung 840 Evo SSD Vehicle: 2012 Nissan Xterra named Rocky

This doesn't stop with consumer side with Comcast, Their idiocy stretches well into business too. It took 3 months to get cable installed at new location for us at a new location because they needed to ensure we are a business and would be around for at least 3 years... in order for them to tunnel under the street to connect services.. They finally said screw it and went over the street using lift trucks... The company I work for makes these trucks... \facepalm

On a similar note Time Warner wanted to charge me 25$ a month for an additional DVR... 300$ a year... I could buy a new DVR every year for that.."I proceeded to tell the rep to go F- himself." Service providers are the scum of the earth because we have no choices.. Thank goodness I am moving soon to a place where I do have a choice. 

There is an unlimited amount of data, thus supply and demand doesn't apply, there is however a limit of bandwidth, we pay for a certain amount of bandwidth not data, so data caps are literally retarded

Actually no, I would be just as tough on the government. I would enact/enforce a "fourth" branch of government. Consisting of a popular vote by the entire country. Nothing that the other three branches pass, would be law until it was finally approved by the fourth branch.

Not to mention imprisoning those currently occupying the 3 branches right now. I would also continue the NSA's prism program (mass spying) but only for the purpose of spying on politicians, and anyone who has any direct family or social relation to them. And all of that information would be immediately declassified as public information.

And that would be great kappa. And you gonna force laws ? Sure thing just let it get approved by Congress and etc.. I only have a basic understanding of American system but I know the president can't just enforce laws.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

And that would be great kappa. And you gonna force laws ? Sure thing just let it get approved by Congress and etc.. I only have a basic understanding of American system but I know the president can't just enforce laws.

Considering their approval rating, I think it's about time for a clean slate congress. Either by force, or a convention of states (which can actually overrule congress)

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Considering their approval rating, I think it's about time for a clean slate congress. Either by force, or a convention of states (which can actually overrule congress)

How likely is the possibility of that happening/succeeding ?

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

How likely is the possibility of that happening/succeeding ?

Dunno.

Would definitely start off by having the NSA collect everything they can on the corrupt bastards, then I'd release it all to the public and get the masses on my side. I would resign when it was all over and we had a completely new congress, new election system, and various laws to prevent us from ever getting to where we are now.

Dunno.

Would definitely start off by having the NSA collect everything they can on the corrupt bastards, then I'd release it all to the public and get the masses on my side. I would resign when it was all over and we had a completely new congress, new election system, and various laws to prevent us from ever getting to where we are now.

we need you as president

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

we need you as president

We've got dibs on him for Primeminister first.

PMSL

the US need him more

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

we need you as president

I could go on for a while about fixing things. One of the most important would making it illegal for the news to have advertisements, product placements, or ANY KIND OF MONETISEATION AT ALL during any hour containing informational broadcasts (local/state/federal news for the nation). That, and maybe try to do something about the obvious bias in the news (fox being righties, CNN and MSNBC being lefties etc).

Oh, and no more political campaigns as we currently know them. Instead, a series of tax funded debates, going from the county level up to the state level and federal depending on the position you run for. You have to get a certain number of signatures on a petition to get into the debate, anyone collecting signatures for you has to be a volunteer, no donations or advertising etc. Oh and the news companies will be required to give equal airtime to all candidates. Think about it, local news can cover the state level elections and below, and then the major networks can cover state debates for the federal  (congressional) elections as well as state debates for presidential candidates. No commercials.

This was, we can cut out the "donations" (see: bribery) without encountering the "only the rich can afford to run" issue. Also, a tiered vote system for the elections. Running for state legislator? Okay, you get to the debates in your county, if you win the popular vote for that county after the debate, you go on to the state debates and elections. Same for presidential.

Basically, flood the political spectrum with so many freaking people that the corporations outright can't afford to buy people off, while also preventing the media from influencing elections (we already know they do. Hell, 60% of the employees at fox news donated to Obama's campaign). Oh, and all political parties are now illegal, everyone runs as independent. Though they can call themselves whatever they want, but there can be no "behind the scenes" shenanigans.

And as I said, I would basically have arrested every single last member of congress at this point, to prevent them from putting a stop to it. No way they would EVER let any of this happen. Unless maybe 100 million people marched on DC and demanded all of it. And these new rules would be under a new "subset" of amendments that can only be altered with greater than 2/3rds vote by the entire nation. Any and all future congresses would not have ANY authority to change ANY of it. They could propose changes and call for popular votes, but that is IT.