Press Release | Project CARS On AMD GPUs - Clarification

source: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/pressreleases/243705/Project_CARS_On_AMD_GPUs__Clarification.php

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

London, May 18, 2015: For the past few days, erroneous information posted on Reddit and other websites has spread misinformation with regards to Project CARS’ performance on systems using AMD GPUs. 

To correct the wrongful assumptions regarding Project CARS’ performance on AMD GPUs, the MADNESS engine and the degree of involvement from our third-party technical partners, Slightly Mad Studios feel compelled to point out the following facts:
  • Project CARS is not a GameWorks product. We have a good working relationship with nVidia, as we do with AMD, but we have our own render technology which covers everything we need.
  • NVidia are not "sponsors" of the project. The company has not received, and would not expect, financial assistance from third party hardware companies.
  • The MADNESS engine runs PhysX at only 50Hz and not at 600Hz as mentioned in several articles
  • The MADNESS engine uses PhysX for collision detection and dynamic objects, which is a small part of the overall physics systems
  • The MADNESS engine does not use PhysX for the SETA tyre model or for the chassis constraint solver (our two most expensive physics sub-systems)
  • The MADNESS engine does not use PhysX for the AI systems or for raycasting, we use a bespoke optimised solution for those
  • The physics systems run completely independently of the rendering and main game threads and utilises 2 cores at 600Hz
  • The physics threading does not interact with the rendering, it is a push system sending updated positional information to the render bridge at 600Hz
  • Any performance difference with PhysX would not be reflected with differences in comparing rendering frame rates. There is no interaction between PhysX and the rendering
  • Overall, PhysX uses less than 10% of all physics thread CPU on PC. It is a very small part of the physics system so would not make a visual difference if run on the CPU or GPU
  • Direct involvement with both nVidia and AMD has been fruitful in assisting with the game performance at various stages of development. Both AMD and nVidia have had access to working builds of the game throughout development, and they have both tested builds and reported their results and offered suggestions for performance improvements.
  • Testing of the game with different driver versions has produced a variety of performance results on both nVidia and AMD hardware. This is entirely to be expected as driver changes cannot always be tested on every game and every card, and this is the reason why both companies produce game-specific driver profiles, to ensure that they can get the best out of the game.
  • Project CARS does not use nVidia specific particle technology - the system we use is a modified version of the same technology we used on the Need for Speed : Shift and Shift Unleashed games, and was entirely developed in-house. The reason the performance drops when there are a lot of particles on screen is simply because processing a large number of particles is very expensive.

---

something just happened that makes me wonder of SMS' integrity

if Project CARS isn't a GameWorks title, then how the game was just listed (late last night I presume) by nVidia as a GameWorks title:  http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/gorgeous-next-gen-racer-project-cars-pulls-into-pc-with-high-end-visual-features

AfgoEYY.png

someone has some 'splaining to do  <_<

Its too late to get out of this one. there are too many lies revolved around that game way too many lies.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Its too late to get out of this one. there are too many lies revolved around that game way too many lies.

Your definition of lie is you deciding it's a lie. Great.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

As someone whos backed this project ages ago I have to ask the hell are you on about?

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

Well, at least they've fessed up (twice) about the truth when it comes to AMD involvement.

That was my real issue. The terrible performance is, IMO, a result of badly threaded drivers on AMD's side and something (I don't know what) on nvidia's side that resulted in meh perf for Kepler.

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

How many more times does SMS need to say this before people stop the witch hunt? Are all those clowns on Reddit and this site who slandered the game gonna retract? Nah. 

Simple facts were that physics calculations are expensive period. Physics calculations on a sim racer are more intensive. Physics calculations on a sim racer that is also employing rain effects and everything else? Good luck and god bless any CPU. I thought people were more rational than that, I guess not. 

AMDs DX11 drivers having more CPU overhead is not SMSs or Nvidias problem. Thats on them to fix their shit. Nvidia has to fix the fact that Kepler suddenly started tanking (I think we can guess why). Both sides need to stop bitching that the other is causing their problems. You're all just as bad, I just find the pious bitching from either side to blame the other quite pathetic. 

As someone whos backed this project ages ago I have to ask the hell are you on about?

i dont know maybe its the physics which they said would be sim based physics, maybe how they said they would fix the ai which has been broken since its inception maybe how they said they would support the game for a long time yet they announce the second game. This however can all be forgiveable if they added mod support which every current sim with the exception of iracing has as that would prolong everything and its not like it would be hard to do, very little work in the grand scheme is actually required for mod support for tracks and or cars, the foundation is already laid with the additional skin support. Afterthat there are lobby systems instead of dedicated servers which isnt nice for sim racers, the people that have been in the sim racing scene for a while dont like this system and neither do I. Of course this rant doesnt include the array of awesome stuff that the game does but while it was a good attempt I cant recommend it because i know it will not have a multiplayer scene 4-5 months from now apart from the minor boosts when a dlc hits. It is a nice game but they caters for the people that havent played a sim before and now those people think its a sim when its not, I can understand why they did it some people win and some lose. the pre bred sim racers lost out on this one but to be honest its not the end of the world, there is still enjoyment to be had in the game its just downgraded to be recommended only on a sale not at full price. Its £27 on GMG btw. 

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

How many more times does SMS need to say this before people stop the witch hunt? Are all those clowns on Reddit and this site who slandered the game gonna retract? Nah. 

Simple facts were that physics calculations are expensive period. Physics calculations on a sim racer are more intensive. Physics calculations on a sim racer that is also employing rain effects and everything else? Good luck and god bless any CPU. I thought people were more rational than that, I guess not. 

AMDs DX11 drivers having more CPU overhead is not SMSs or Nvidias problem. Thats on them to fix their shit. Nvidia has to fix the fact that Kepler suddenly started tanking (I think we can guess why). Both sides need to stop bitching that the other is causing their problems. You're all just as bad, I just find the pious bitching from either side to blame the other quite pathetic. 

Then there is the voodoo magic that is Assetto corsa being under 30% cpu usage majority of the time which putting it all in perspective shouldnt actually work. I dont hate SMS for performance, issues happen, coding is a bitch. Im annoyed that they are didnt add mod support which has killed off their game in a year or so and i can understand why as they announce that a second one is coming. Its sort of a stupid reason but I dont get that sense of genuine love for the game as if its a child or something. When i see the shit that kunos and ISI even simbin now sector3 have gone though its like they made a gamble gunning for the forza and granturismo guys. Its too early to say how it will end but i know a lot of the sim community is sticking in the long run with rfactor2 or Assetto corsa and the rich chaps that can afford iRacing. Anyways this is just my opinion, i welcome anyone to have their own opinions, im not a fan though.

Listen if you care.

@zMeul Please put some input to you post that is 2 today  with nothing but copy and paste.

used to be you starting a thread then editing it to fill it in now this.

Clearing up misinformation is good. So appreciate the press release.

Unfortunately though they have clearly failed to work with all stakeholders and ensure a smooth launch for their product on pc. Maybe it's AMD's fault with not getting the driver out in time. But as a game dev these guys have failed to ensure a good experience for their customers at launch.

@zMeul Please put some input to you post that is 2 today  with nothing but copy and paste.

used to be you starting a thread then editing it to fill it in now this.

this is a press release, what can I comment?! that the people involved in that whole reddit anti-nVidia movement should eat raw crow  :ph34r:

There we go now we have your opinion. And i do agree with you saying they 

should eat crow it seems like a full out war by AMD on Nvidia and gameworks

in the past 2 weeks.

Wrong thread. Sorry

Never trust a hug. Its just a way to hide your face - The Doctor (Sounds something like the grumpy cat would say)

bunch of bs... its not sponsored by nvidia.. but it has nvidia banners all over the game... lol

AMD Rig - (Upgraded): FX 8320 @ 4.8 Ghz, Corsair H100i GTX, ROG Crosshair V Formula, Ghz, 16 GB 1866 Mhz Ram, Msi R9 280x Gaming 3G @ 1150 Mhz, Samsung 850 Evo 250 GB, Win 10 Home

(My first Intel + Nvidia experience  - recently bought ) : MSI GT72S Dominator Pro G ( i7 6820HK, 16 GB RAM, 980M SLI, GSync, 1080p , 2x128 GB SSD + 1TB HDD... FeelsGoodMan

bunch of bs... its not sponsored by nvidia.. but it has nvidia banners all over the game... lol

Ever thought that maybe as part of the deal with nvidia sending developers to help out, that the game have their banners?  Ever thought of that?  Course not.  You want the controversy, a reason to push the blame off AMD for their terrible drivers and practically non-existent help in the development of the game.  Scorched earth.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

There we go now we have your opinion. And i do agree with you saying they 

should eat crow it seems like a full out war by AMD on Nvidia and gameworks

in the past 2 weeks.

there was a lot of misinformation and/or ignorance

turns out:

• the game is not a nVidia GameWorks title
  • uses PhysX basic CPU API
  • everything else physics related was done via in-engine tech
  • AMD is still the one to blame for poor performance on their hardware

the only thing nVidia needs to address at this point: Kepler performance, and 7xx series overall

There's AMD logos on some cars too. Get over yourself.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

@VictoriousSecret Vindication is sweet.

@Notional @zappian I believe public apologies for BSing the community are very much in order.

I'm used to this. We went through the same song and dance on the 970 issue, and the same thing again now. A few reddit threads and people blow it out of proportion, then ignore any evidence brought forth to the contrary. It is like the Boston Bomber and Reddit doing a great job in catching the wrong person entirely. 

Internet rage can be valid, but it is so, so wrong to base anything off that kind of anger. What I advocated for before was just facts, nothing more and certainly nothing less. And yes, I will take the word of the company over a bunch of people on the internet who have axes to grind against said company and their partners. 

What more is there to be said? I certainly won't back down when I know what I'm saying is right, though I figure after the past few days whats the point in being so invested in such affairs? Its not like anyone truly learns. 

Jeez, some times it seems like people will believe anything that's written on the internet... 

Translation:

• Look we screwed up can you all please stop mailing us about it and starting 50 page threads on our forums, for fuck's sake please calm down people!

-------

Current Rig

-------

so... do they know who started all the lies? because that is one hell of a libel case if it originated from an official source.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

so... do they know who started all the lies? because that is one hell of a libel case.

The unpaid AMD defensive PR team, or fanboys. Chances are not a single one has money worth pursuing. It'd be dried up long before the end of the case.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

- - I believe public apologies for BSing the community are very much in order from the two of you.

:huh: I'm surprised you would ask for this.

:huh: I'm surprised you would ask for this.

I never once said I wasn't vindictive. For every action there is a consequence. They can either stay away with their tails tucked between their legs and internalize the fact they screwed up, or they can take the pride-bruising ownership of such a mistake and move on. Both choices end up being painful. Also, I do very much enjoy being right after a long debate.