Press Release | Project CARS On AMD GPUs - Clarification

Which is why I keep coming back to the USB as an example. Because all usb ports work the same, USB thumbdrive manufacturers compete for who can sell the best quality drive, or the highest working capacity drive.  Not who has the most common connector.  In this case, as you say, nvidia and AMD would be fighting each other for the next big API or the the fastest in raw performance, or the best warranty etc.  Not who can monopolize the market best.  

Which incidentally makes all those claims about AMD being only interested in "the gamer", "the consumer" and "moving the industry forward" with open standards look pretty bloody silly.

USB standardization started a "race to the bottom". Your connector is the same. Your software that connects is the same. You get sales by either being cheap as hell or by offering a compelling alternative. 

For example, I bought a 64GB Corsair Survivor when they came out. Why? Durable as all hell, it took the abuse that I put my gear through when I was in the field. It was still just another USB drive, nothing special. But Corsair made something that fit my niche. 

GPU standardization would be amazing. Same connector, same APIs - raw power and the exploitation of those APIs gives you supremacy and sales. GPUs would have to be cheaper and they'd have to be better. 

Oh whats that, this race to the bottom that would inevitably benefit us would be kickstarted by, wait for it, proprietary software that neither side could alter without the consent of a governing body. 

Huh. Funny how that works. 

USB standardization started a "race to the bottom". Your connector is the same. Your software that connects is the same. You get sales by either being cheap as hell or by offering a compelling alternative. 

For example, I bought a 64GB Corsair Survivor when they came out. Why? Durable as all hell, it took the abuse that I put my gear through when I was in the field. It was still just another USB drive, nothing special. But Corsair made something that fit my niche. 

GPU standardization would be amazing. Same connector, same APIs - raw power and the exploitation of those APIs gives you supremacy and sales. GPUs would have to be cheaper and they'd have to be better. 

Oh whats that, this race to the bottom that would inevitably benefit us would be kickstarted by, wait for it, proprietary software that neither side could alter without the consent of a governing body. 

Huh. Funny how that works. 

I personally hope that USB eventually offers a PS/2 replacement spec--where it is a hardware interrupt, but with all the advancements USB comes with.  I'm weird, though.  I mean, technically USB is a replacement for PS/2, in all forms, EXCEPT the hardware interrupt.  I'm weird.

So, they worked with Nvidia and AMD, fine. And they haven't received money from them, fine.

But why is there nvidia everywhere to be seen in it? It would be ok if it was just on the cars, because that's just how sponsoring in real life also works. And that makes sense.

But nvidia everwhere else exept on the cars, is surely there for a reason. The only question is what made SMS put it everywhere else? If it isn't money or help, then what is it?

They won't do it for no reason, there is a reason for it, but they just don't want to say why. And as long as they don't explain that, i won't trust anything about it.

For nvidia's help in development man hours.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

amd didnt get an nvidia cuda license because they dont like supporting closed proprietary stuff a position that i respect and will always give nvidia flak for i mean seriously proprietary linux drivers wtf nvidia

Do you support Pepsi and Cole being able to keep their formulas secret? If yes, you should support that a company can keep proprietary software features. Stop living in Richard Stalman's fantasy world. Programmers should get paid for what they do, and open source does not fix all problems. In fact it can create far more than it solves, case in point being Linux.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

I'm sure Intel pays them to license Cuda.

6 cents for every MPU (Z series CPU with iGPU sold and 1% the sales price of every Xeon Phi. It's literally pennies AMD could easily afford.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Do you support Pepsi and Cole being able to keep their formulas secret? If yes, you should support that a company can keep proprietary software features. Stop living in Richard Stalman's fantasy world. Programmers should get paid for what they do, and open source does not fix all problems. In fact it can create far more than it solves, case in point being Linux.

but having coke copy pepsi's formula and use that wouldnt make sense. also if they dont tell whats inside their formula that would be illegal

For nvidia's help in development man hours.

And don't thank amd for their help? They clearly said they also got help from amd. So at least they could also thank them.

Or SMS devs are all nvidia fanboys, which would be terrible and disappointing.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

And don't thank amd for their help? They clearly said they also got help from amd. So at least they could also thank them.

Or SMS devs are all nvidia fanboys, which would be terrible and disappointing.

They clearly did not get enough help.  SMS have said their last reply from AMD was in October, LAST YEAR.  8 months of nothing.  What do you expect SMS to do?

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

They clearly did not get enough help.  SMS have said their last reply from AMD was in October, LAST YEAR.  8 months of nothing.  What do you expect SMS to do?

Well, publishing what was in that last reply could explain maybe why it was the last reply of AMD.

Or just saying why they stopped getting help from AMD can also explain why.

Any help that SMS would get from AMD is clearly a win-win for both. So there is no reason why they would stop the developing together.

There must be a reason, and whatever it is, it's probably not a nice one. 

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

but having coke copy pepsi's formula and use that wouldnt make sense. also if they dont tell whats inside their formula that would be illegal

Of course it would. Take some of Pepsi's customers. And the second part of your reply has no bearing on the matter.