Experiences with non-techies

knowledge isn't power, power is power.

http://youtu.be/OvkuePL7oDY?t=41s

You can try to make up some bs about how the monitor automatically changes to it's native resolution and that it cannot be changed back once it does so. Judging by her knowledge of technology she'll buy it. I know I'm usually for explaining and educating tech illiterates but in sometimes there are special cases where you just cannot reason with them and spewing bs is basically the only plausible solution.

Also as Darkman said I refuse to be responsible for getting you in trouble.

I'll do it on Monday and tell you how it goes.

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

I'll do it on Monday and tell you how it goes.

What you could do is figure out how to make a small program that runs silently that constantly forces a screen resolution. That way when you try to change it back, it goes back to the proper resolution.

Two people at my school are rubbing thier cheaks on a section of wall located under a wireless router. Curious about this show of stupidity I wander over to them and ask what they were doing. One told me that they were looking for the WPA key so they could hack the system. Then the other said they found it and they proceed to copy down a 20 plus character serial number. When they finish, I wish them luck and just walk away.

My English teacher has a 21:9 2560x1080 monitor but her display settings have it set at 1200x800. It looks terrible. The image is stretched and really blurry. So when she was out of the class I went to her computer and changed it to native resolution. She walked back in while I was doing it and asked me what I was doing. So I showed her the difference and explained how now everything is scaled properly and the image is sharper and not blurry and that she has a larger workspace now. I also pointed out that her windows 7 start button was now a proper circle instead of an ellipse. She thanked me however 10 minutes later she says, "Christian, I don't like this. Will you change it back?" In my confusion, I asked, "Why don't you like it? That's native resolution; what the monitor is intended and made to display. Otherwise it's just a waste of hardware and money." She then argued, "I'm not used to it," and then proceeded to make me change it back. It was the most cringing thing I've had to ever do on a computer. The worse part is when she uses the projector to display her screen and its a blurry mess.

Same problem in our school computers. Monitors are 1920x1200 but the resolution is set to 1024x768. Before someone goes "MY EYES WOULD BLEED AT THAT blah blah blah.....", scaling (text & image) is bad in Windows. And when you are writing code/essay/notes for a long time you're better off having bigger fonts than a clear image.

We do have a little tool on the taskbar to easily change the resolution though.

But why buy those monitors in the first place?

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

*Playing Borderlands 2 with a friend"
Me:  I'm going to try the game without SweetFX this time, for higher framerates

Him:  What's that?

Me:  It's a post-process injector that makes the game look a lot better.

Him:  I don't know what that is.

Me: [Looks at Waterfox on my other monitor] So apparently, according to Rivatuner, Waterfox runs in DirectX 11.  Wat.

Him:  Whatever that is.

He's competent, though.  He's awesome to play online with.

[witty signature]

Two people at my school are rubbing thier cheaks on a section of wall located under a wireless router. Curious about this show of stupidity I wander over to them and ask what they were doing. One told me that they were looking for the WPA key so they could hack the system. Then the other said they found it and they proceed to copy down a 20 plus character serial number. When they finish, I wish them luck and just walk away.

Not as bad as people who open up command prompt and go "LOOK AT ME I CAN HAZ ALL THE HAX."

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Me: [Looks at Waterfox on my other monitor] So apparently, according to Rivatuner, Waterfox runs in DirectX 11.  Wat.

Him:  Whatever that is.

I completely forgot about Waterfox. I avoided it long ago because the devs stopped updating it. Well looks like they are back on track, and I'm back too. :D

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

So I have a friend who was trying to get a programming job after learning a little bit of Java and taking a freshman level programming class from the extension school, and I was coaching him a bit about data structures and algorithms since any job interview they ask you stuff like this. I kid you not, when they asked about sorting he talked about

. I'm just face-palming when he's telling me this, as bubble sort is the count to potato sorting algorithm that I told him over and over is almost completely useless and will fail him immediately in an interview. A week before I spent a couple of hours showing him why quicksort, mergesort, and insertion sort were the three he really had to know, showed him videos from MIT OCW where they went in and explained these three algorithms very clearly, leant him my copy of CLRS with the sections to read, etc.

The worst part was he still got the job. So the first week during every meeting he's telling everyone how they should do things, and complaining to me that people at the company don't get along with him. I told him when you first start working at a company you're usually the stupidest person there for the most part, that you can't walk on to a project that's ongoing and tell everyone the rules they teach you in CS1 when you're just writing 100 line programs.

He quit out of frustration in like two weeks. :lol:

That's the difference between people who want to learn and learn for the better; and people who don't give a sh*t.

Remember, knowledge is power. And LTT is free knowledge! :D

But I have to play for electricity to get on LTT.

So 2 of my friends were talking on our groupchat:

1: do you have big tv?

2: i don't have a tv, but i have a 15" Notebook

1: why do you need so many notebooks?

CPU: i7 5930k @4.3 GHz, Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe, RAM: 32 GB Crucial Ballistix Sport ddr4 (2400 MHz), GPU: 2 x Gigabyte gtx 970 G1 Gaming @ 1500 MHz,

Case: Corsair obsidian 750d, Storage: Samsung 850 Pro ssd (512GB) and 3TB WD Black, PSU: Coolermaster v850, Display: Asus Rog swift,                             

Cooling: Coolermaster Nepton 280L, Keyboard: Corsair Vengence K70 RGB (Mx-red), Mouse: Roccat Kone XTD Optical, Sound: Creative Soundblaster ZxR paired with Audioengine A5+ 

My mom don't know what does "Update" means and she always yells on me when Laptop update it self.

She yells on you? Where does she stand, on your head or your shoulders? Or are you lying down?

The Dude's PC Build<p>i5 4690k @ 3.5ghz w/ The Crappy Intel Stock Cooler | Asus Z97-K | 8GB Corsair Vengance LP DDR3 RAM @ 1600mhz |1TB Seagate Barracuda + 120GB Samsung Evo SSD | Gigabyte Windforce R9 290 4GB | 650 Watt CoolerMaster Gaming Series PSU | Bitfenix Shinobi Windowed | BenQ GL2460 | Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Brown | Razer Naga Hex Wraith Red gaming mouse | A £0.63 mouse pad from artcow.com

But I have to play for electricity to get on LTT.

And your internet bill. But my point is LTT on their side doesn't charge anything from you.

Anybody who sees them Internet Speed Increasing applications and thinks "hmm, maybe an app can automagically double the speed of my net connection"

Just no :P

And big shout out to my brother who can break a PC by just looking in its general direction.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Before someone goes "MY EYES WOULD BLEED AT THAT blah blah blah.....", scaling (text & image) is bad in Windows. And when you are writing code/essay/notes for a long time you're better off having bigger fonts than a clear image.

I use a 4k display with no text scaling ^^ no problem even after hours of coding to be honest.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

My friends mom will find a websites ip address and use that as the address, she wants to give the people at Google less work so they don't have to search for the ip............................

People still thinking it';s about the amount of VRAM with a videocard.

Today I saw a leaflet which advertized a laptop that had "4gb of video memory!!!!!!!!", I look at the specs and it's an 850m with 4gb of vram...  <_< seriously, what is even the point.

It's sad, but people will just assume higher number = better and not bother reading the specs (not that they would know how an 850m performs or would bother to take a look at a benchmark).

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Today I saw a leaflet which advertized a laptop that had "4gb of video memory!!!!!!!!", I look at the specs and it's an 850m with 4gb of vram... <_< seriously, what it even the point.

It's sad, but people will just assume higher number = better and not bother reading the specs (not that they would know how an 850m performs or would bother to take a look at a benchmark).

I swear this is true. A fairly recent advert from PC World (a famous shitty UK reseller) advertised a laptop that had a 1TB Memory, it didn't mention ram at all, just something like

"This ultrafast Hewlett Packard comes with an Intel Core I3 processer and a 1 terabyte memory"

I was like "Nice way to confuse your customers, jackasses", they even deliberately added the " a" to confuse noob buyers even more.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Well, to be fair, a Core i3 would be "ultrafast" to an average consumer. Mention the RAM, though, that's important information.

Oh yeah. Last year, one of my cats got hit by a car and had to spend 5 days at an animal hospital out-of-town under intensive medical care. During a visit to the hospital, my mom was talking to a receptionist about TV stuff, and the receptionist brought up that you can view TV schedules online. She put the URL in the Google search bar. She was completely amazed when I told her about the URL bar in Internet Explorer and that's where you put the URLs.

My friends mom will find a websites ip address and use that as the address,

At least then you don't have to use DNS servers. How do I get around OPENdns' censoring?

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

At least then you don't have to use DNS servers. How do I get around OPENdns' censoring?

To answer your question, you change the DNS server.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

My English teacher has a 21:9 2560x1080 monitor but her display settings have it set at 1200x800. It looks terrible. The image is stretched and really blurry. So when she was out of the class I went to her computer and changed it to native resolution. She walked back in while I was doing it and asked me what I was doing. So I showed her the difference and explained how now everything is scaled properly and the image is sharper and not blurry and that she has a larger workspace now. I also pointed out that her windows 7 start button was now a proper circle instead of an ellipse. She thanked me however 10 minutes later she says, "Christian, I don't like this. Will you change it back?" In my confusion, I asked, "Why don't you like it? That's native resolution; what the monitor is intended and made to display. Otherwise it's just a waste of hardware and money." She then argued, "I'm not used to it," and then proceeded to make me change it back. It was the most cringing thing I've had to ever do on a computer. The worse part is when she uses the projector to display her screen and its a blurry mess.

I'd probably just refuse to look at the display.

Friend: Is 50C fine for my GPU?

Me: Yes....

Friend: Can I run my fans for it at 100% 24/7?

Me: Why would you want to?

Friend: Keep it under 50C.

Me: That is pointless, if it's under 75C, it's fine...

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

Same problem in our school computers. Monitors are 1920x1200 but the resolution is set to 1024x768. Before someone goes "MY EYES WOULD BLEED AT THAT blah blah blah.....", scaling (text & image) is bad in Windows. And when you are writing code/essay/notes for a long time you're better off having bigger fonts than a clear image.

We do have a little tool on the taskbar to easily change the resolution though.

But why buy those monitors in the first place?

I'm using an UHD monitor and while I understand the problem with text scaling (especially in applications like Steam, Blender, Photoshop, etc.) it's not bad on most of the stuff I use on a regular basis. Since most programs have a zoom in feature. (Firefox, Word, Notepad++, etc.) For me higher resolution is better even if text scaling still needs work. Also text scaling should be find on anything at and below 1440p, so she shouldn't have any issues with it.

To answer your question, you change the DNS server.

I wasn't really asking a question, it was meant as a third party asking a question to 'sort of' give a  reason why someone would want to not use DNS servers.  The different size font was supposed to indicate another person talking, on re-reading it is not obvious that was what was meant.

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"