Experiences with non-techies

Guys, lets keep it to stories only, please? :)

Apologies, but periodically we must include computer threesomes and explosions to keep things interesting

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

115061.jpg

Was that your mind exploding, or does something explode if you can actually get that threesome happening?

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

Was that your mind exploding, or does something explode if you can actually get that threesome happening?

Explosions.jpg

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

*snip*

I just looked at your quote at the bottom, could you put a santa hat on Linus making that face?

On one hand, this thread is funny because we're making fun of non-technical people....on the other hand we're on Linus Tech Tips, where Linus specializes in making videos about complex technical topics that are boiled down to become less complex and doesn't laugh at them.

On one hand, this thread is funny because we're making fun of non-technical people....on the other hand we're on Linus Tech Tips, where Linus specializes in making videos about complex technical topics that are boiled down to become less complex.

That's the difference between people who want to learn and learn for the better; and people who don't give a sh*t.

Remember, knowledge is power. And LTT is free knowledge! :D

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

That's the difference between people who want to learn and learn for the better; and people who don't give a sh*t.

So, what you're saying is that if I don't want to learn Mandarin, then I'm open season to be made fun of by Mandarin speakers? Please, tell me what you don't care to know, and I'll make fun you for it!

So, what you're saying is that if I don't want to learn Mandarin, then I'm open season to be made fun of by Mandarin speakers? Please, tell me what you don't care to know, and I'll make fun you for it!

Of course yes when you don't know Mandarin, and don't care to learn; and then you want write an essay in Mandarin!

The issue here is people trying to deal with technology when they don't know how to deal with it.

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

When I am assisting people with slow, old, etc. computers, I will usually come across an adware-type thing where it changes the homepage and search engine to whatever it wants. I ask them what browser they use and 8 times out of 10 this is how it goes down:

Me: "So what browser do you use?"

Them: Now this one can go one of two ways: "The big E." or "The one the comes with it."

Ladies and gentlemen that is why people should not be allowed to use a computer until they have learned what Google Chrome/Firefox are.

Guys, lets keep it to stories only, please? :)

oh come on, that was an interesting tangent.

My life is consumed by CS:GO, even though I'm not exceptionally good at it.

CPU: AMD A10-5800K | GPU: Gigabyte R9 270 2GB | RAM: 8GB 1333Mhz HyperX Blu | Storage: 120GB Samsung 850 EVO + 1TB WD Caviar Blue | Chassis: NZXT H230 | Mobo: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-HD3 | PSU: Corsair CX500 500W | Cooling: CM Hyper 212 EVO | OS: Windows 10
In order of priority: GTX 970 Strix, 2 good 1080p monitors, i5 4690k, MSI Z97 Gaming 5 LGA 1150, a job

OT: Has anyone here used CGI Proxy in school? If yes, was it effective?

The Dude's PC Build<p>i5 4690k @ 3.5ghz w/ The Crappy Intel Stock Cooler | Asus Z97-K | 8GB Corsair Vengance LP DDR3 RAM @ 1600mhz |1TB Seagate Barracuda + 120GB Samsung Evo SSD | Gigabyte Windforce R9 290 4GB | 650 Watt CoolerMaster Gaming Series PSU | Bitfenix Shinobi Windowed | BenQ GL2460 | Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Brown | Razer Naga Hex Wraith Red gaming mouse | A £0.63 mouse pad from artcow.com

My expierence with non tech guys. Most people believe that amd is complete crap. That's an automatic response from most people. Then they look at your ghz. Thinking the higher the better. And the most common of all there are those people who confuse memory and storage. Saying that 16 gb of memory is shit and that he has 500gb of memory. And then there are the concole guys that don't know much but are always incline to argue...

Not a great expierence with stubborn non tech guys.

[CPU] i7 4790K OC [CPU Cooler] H100i [GPU] Evga GTX 980 SuperClocked [Ram] Corsair Vengeance 16 GB 1866 mhz [PSU] Cooler Master 1000w Silent Pro [storage] 256 GB Samsung 840 Pro, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 1 TB WD Blue 4 TB Seagate Nas. [Motherboard] Msi Z97 Gaming 5 [Case] Phantom 410 Red [sound] Onboard ALC 1150 [Headphones] Sennheiser HD 558 [Keyboard] Razer BlackWidow Chroma  [Mouse] Razer Deathadder Chroma [Mouse] Razer FireFly [Monitor] Asus MG278Q

My expierence with non tech guys. Most people believe that amd is complete crap. That's an automatic response from most people. Then they look at your ghz. Thinking the higher the better. And the most common of all there are those people who confuse memory and storage. Saying that 16 gb of memory is shit and that he has 500gb of memory. And then there are the concole guys that don't know much but are always incline to argue...

Not a great expierence with stubborn non tech guys.

TAKE THE DUALCORE CLOCKED AT 4GHZ!!! THAT XEON AT 3.6GHZ IS TERRIBLE!

I can't stand when people say AMD is terrible... They're fantastic for the best bang for the buck... A R9 290 is actually really cheap for what it can bring. Or you know, "If you run a Intel processor with a AMD GPU, you won't get good performance unless it is with a Nvidia GPU," and, "Who the fuck would get an AMD GPU if more games support Nvidia?"  <_<

Edit: How do you like your Phantom 410? I'm thinking about surprising a friend with one since he lost everything from a house fire. :)

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

I can't stand when people say AMD is terrible... They're fantastic for the best bang for the buck... A R9 290 is actually really cheap for what it can bring. Or you know, "If you run a Intel processor with a AMD GPU, you won't get good performance unless it is with a Nvidia GPU," and, "Who the fuck would get an AMD GPU if more games support Nvidia?"  <_<

Edit: How do you like your Phantom 410? I'm thinking about surprising a friend with one since he lost everything from a house fire. :)

I don't like AMD for the fact that when I had both an AMD sempron and an athlon xp, both of them had problems. One randomly died, the other had problems with my webcam, one wouldn't load a game. Also the sempron was barely able to play 480p in VLC media player, where a p4 of the same era was capable of playing 720p.

In contrast with Intel, I've had nothing but luck.  Same with nVidia. 

It's one of those things, if you have bad luck with one company on multiple occasions, it kind of turns you off to that company.

The FCC. The entire federal government, every major "journalism" outlet, and the people running the ISP's here in America.

ಠ_ಠ

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Well I have that case too and it's pretty good. The only issues are that the cable grommets come out really easily. You can't even pass any large cable through them without them coming out. Water cooling support is decent but the thickest radiator you can put on the top is ~25 mm and you must put the fans on top just under the plastic top thing. Also the front door latch is easy to break and the case has little to no dust filtration at all with the only dust filter being a shitty one on the psu.

Well I have that case too and it's pretty good. The only issues are that the cable grommets come out really easily. You can't even pass any large cable through them without them coming out. Water cooling support is decent but the thickest radiator you can put on the top is ~25 mm and you must put the fans on top just under the plastic top thing. Also the front door latch is easy to break and the case has little to no dust filtration at all with the only dust filter being a shitty one on the psu.

Ah, either way he likes the looks of the Phantoms. I'm sure right now those issues wouldn't really bug him, it'd be more of him getting a home and trying to get everything he lost replaced. :( I'm actually going to be hanging out with him later today if I can feel better and I'm giving him my old i5 650 and the other parts with it. Only reason why I'm sick and not at school is because of Subway...

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

People still thinking it';s about the amount of VRAM with a videocard.

'How much RAM does your videocard have?'  (he has 1 GB himself)

'4GB' 

'OMG YOUR CARD MUST BE SO POWERFUL!'

THAT ISN'T WHAT MAKES IT POWERFUL

I can't stand when people say AMD is terrible... They're fantastic for the best bang for the buck... A R9 290 is actually really cheap for what it can bring. Or you know, "If you run a Intel processor with a AMD GPU, you won't get good performance unless it is with a Nvidia GPU," and, "Who the fuck would get an AMD GPU if more games support Nvidia?" <_<

Exactly what people think.

And btw I am using the haf 912 currently but I am going to transfer everything into my phantom 410 probably tonight or tomorrow. I will keep you updated. It's an awesome looking case.

[CPU] i7 4790K OC [CPU Cooler] H100i [GPU] Evga GTX 980 SuperClocked [Ram] Corsair Vengeance 16 GB 1866 mhz [PSU] Cooler Master 1000w Silent Pro [storage] 256 GB Samsung 840 Pro, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 1 TB WD Blue 4 TB Seagate Nas. [Motherboard] Msi Z97 Gaming 5 [Case] Phantom 410 Red [sound] Onboard ALC 1150 [Headphones] Sennheiser HD 558 [Keyboard] Razer BlackWidow Chroma  [Mouse] Razer Deathadder Chroma [Mouse] Razer FireFly [Monitor] Asus MG278Q

My English teacher has a 21:9 2560x1080 monitor but her display settings have it set at 1200x800. It looks terrible. The image is stretched and really blurry. So when she was out of the class I went to her computer and changed it to native resolution. She walked back in while I was doing it and asked me what I was doing. So I showed her the difference and explained how now everything is scaled properly and the image is sharper and not blurry and that she has a larger workspace now. I also pointed out that her windows 7 start button was now a proper circle instead of an ellipse. She thanked me however 10 minutes later she says, "Christian, I don't like this. Will you change it back?" In my confusion, I asked, "Why don't you like it? That's native resolution; what the monitor is intended and made to display. Otherwise it's just a waste of hardware and money." She then argued, "I'm not used to it," and then proceeded to make me change it back. It was the most cringing thing I've had to ever do on a computer. The worse part is when she uses the projector to display her screen and its a blurry mess.

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

My English teacher has a 21:9 2560x1080 monitor but her display settings have it set at 1200x800. It looks terrible. The image is stretched and really blurry. So when she was out of the class I went to her computer and changed it to native resolution. She walked back in while I was doing it and asked me what I was doing. So I showed her the difference and explained how now everything is scaled properly and the image is sharper and not blurry and that she has a larger workspace now. I also pointed out that her windows 7 start button was now a proper circle instead of an ellipse. She thanked me however 10 minutes later she says, "Christoan, I don't like this. Will you change it back?" In my confusion, I asked, "Why don't you like it? That's native resolution; what the monitor is intended and made to display. Otherwise it's just a waste of hardware and money." She then argued, "I'm not used to it," and then proceeded to make me change it back. It was the most cringing thing I've had to ever do on a computer. The worse part is when she uses the projector to display her screen and its a blurry mess.

Dafuq... Change it one day and since she obviously doesn't know how, don't change it back to 1200x800 and make her get accustomed to it.

Spoiler

Spoiler

My sister runs her school laptop, a Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga, at 1600x900 with 125% scaling. I asked her why not the native 1920x1080 with 150% scaling and she says she likes it that way.

Dafuq... Change it one day and since she obviously doesn't know how, don't change it back to 1200x800 and make her get accustomed to it.

I'll try. I hope she doesn't notice it and try to punish me though.

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

I'm not responsible for you getting in trouble. :/

Spoiler

Spoiler

Remember, knowledge is power. And LTT is free knowledge! :D

knowledge isn't power, power is power.

http://youtu.be/OvkuePL7oDY?t=41s

You can try to make up some bs about how the monitor automatically changes to it's native resolution and that it cannot be changed back once it does so. Judging by her knowledge of technology she'll buy it. I know I'm usually for explaining and educating tech illiterates but in sometimes there are special cases where you just cannot reason with them and spewing bs is basically the only plausible solution.

Also as Darkman said I refuse to be responsible for getting you in trouble.