Experiences with non-techies

Friend: Is 50C fine for my GPU?

Me: Yes....

Friend: Can I run my fans for it at 100% 24/7?

Me: Why would you want to?

Friend: Keep it under 50C.

Me: That is pointless, if it's under 75C, it's fine...

At least he knows what a GPU is and he is smart enough to consult a techie with his questions...

My life is consumed by CS:GO, even though I'm not exceptionally good at it.

CPU: AMD A10-5800K | GPU: Gigabyte R9 270 2GB | RAM: 8GB 1333Mhz HyperX Blu | Storage: 120GB Samsung 850 EVO + 1TB WD Caviar Blue | Chassis: NZXT H230 | Mobo: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-HD3 | PSU: Corsair CX500 500W | Cooling: CM Hyper 212 EVO | OS: Windows 10
In order of priority: GTX 970 Strix, 2 good 1080p monitors, i5 4690k, MSI Z97 Gaming 5 LGA 1150, a job

At least he knows what a GPU is and he is smart enough to consult a techie with his questions...

well. atleast tat guy idles lower than me. 

sometimes i idle in the 70's and 80's... depends how hot it is outside.

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

Mom: How to open Documents?

:(

Mum: how do I put music on to my phone for the hundredth time?

Me: well, you open wmp (ugh), find the songs you want, drag them to the sync list and hit sync.

Me: well, you open wmp (ugh), find the songs you want, drag them to the sync list and hit sync.

Didn't know that. I just browse for the folders and drag and drop. I'll try that out next time and see if there are any benefits. Well there is tag management built in. I can see which songs have messed up tags prior to putting on my phone.

Hmm.

I'll have to browse for a media player that can manage my library. I have vlc and gom audio as my players at the moment, but nothing for managing and syncing. Any recommendations?

Play the greatest game ever. TF2. http://www.teamfortress.com/

Anybody who sees them Internet Speed Increasing applications and thinks "hmm, maybe an app can automagically double the speed of my net connection"

Just no :P

And big shout out to my brother who can break a PC by just looking in its general direction.

I was on a school computer Friday browsing stuff related to the Skyline R34, the computer froze up, shut off, and a horrific burning plastic smell engulfed the room.

{image}

Too be honest I'm not the most creative when it comes to naming stuff. I sometimes just leave folders as "new folder (x)" (x>0) but at least I change the default name for documents.

Thanks, I've had to drag and drop manually through Win Explorer...

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

documents.png

Untitled 200 Meaning of life

Untitled 201 Shadow of Israphel Plot

Untitled 202 Address of LMG offices

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

I was on a school computer Friday browsing stuff related to the Skyline R34, the computer froze up, shut off, and a horrific burning plastic smell engulfed the room.

d'you ever figure out what the fuck happened to that thing?

I'd assume the PSU or motherboard caught fire for a few.

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

I'd assume the PSU or motherboard caught fire for a few.

How does that happen?! What, did a mouse get itself wedged in there and then the electricity sparked on the fur? Did a tiny little magician decide "Hmm, I'd better ruin WinNut's day!!" and then light it ablaze? 

Edit: 888th post! HEY!

I wanted to open it up with the teacher but he broke his wrist so it has to wait.

I wanted to open it up with the teacher but he broke his wrist so it has to wait.

Why couldn't he just watch?

(Ok that was some strange wording on my half)

How does that happen?! What, did a mouse get itself wedged in there and then the electricity sparked on the fur? Did a tiny little magician decide "Hmm, I'd better ruin WinNut's day!!" and then light it ablaze? 

Edit: 888th post! HEY!

The PSU could've just been old or bad. I've had it happen before. Well.. A friend has.

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

The PSU could've just been old or bad. I've had it happen before. Well.. A friend has.

Schools don't really seem to maintain their shit very well huh? And people keep shoving crap into them....

Schools don't really seem to maintain their shit very well huh? And people keep shoving crap into them....

It's a Dell with shitty capacitors.

It's a Dell with shitty capacitors.

Maybe a cap blew and leaked electrolytes everywhere....

One of the rich kids at my school who was going on about this amazing computer that he built approached my group of reasonably tech savvy friends including me who was working a computer repair store at the time (and this kid new that) and says "My computer has 1TB of ram and 8 graphics cards" so i say "That's not bad what kind of CPU are you using?" and he starts uming and arring so i say "Is it the most common type 1234" and he say yes and we all start laughing. he hates us now but it was worth it.

EDIT: some people seem to think i belived him when he said "My computer has 1TB of ram and 8 graphics cards" of course i was being sarcastic when i said That's not bad!!!

One stupid mistake I made once was upgrading a PC for my nephew, a new videocard had to be installed.

He originally ran his output via the motherboard onboard-graphics and that was all fine and dandy, but when I put the new videocard in I got nothing on the screen.

I e-mailed my tech-savvy brother, my nephew was worried I screwed up... when I suddenly I noticed the problem.

I still had the cable in the motherboard, rather than plugged into the new videocard LOL  :D

So many things I could write here... things like this.

8 graphics cards

Is it supposed to be 8 GB of ram? pretty sure the max for ANY computer is 4 GPUs (which is so not worth it)

One stupid mistake I made once was upgrading a PC for my nephew, a new videocard had to be installed.

He originally ran his output via the motherboard onboard-graphics and that was all fine and dandy, but when I put the new videocard in I got nothing on the screen.

I e-mailed my tech-savvy brother, my nephew was worried I screwed up... when I suddenly I noticed the problem.

I still had the cable in the motherboard, rather than plugged into the new videocard LOL  :D

If you're running a discrete card, does the cable HAVE to be plugged into the card? Can the cable be plugged into the mobo outputs while you have a discrete card?