Experiences with non-techies

When your computer teacher knows about computers.... Yay!

In my computers class, we learned how to use excel.  Not computers.  And when an Ethernet cable became unplugged, she never looked at the IO and proceeded to call the school's IT.  They stared at the desktop for a minute, then announced that it had a "faulty transistor" and brought in a new one, NOT EVEN NOTICING THE UNPLUGGED END OF THE OLD ONE WHEN PUTTING THE NEW ONE IN.

/rant

My life is consumed by CS:GO, even though I'm not exceptionally good at it.

CPU: AMD A10-5800K | GPU: Gigabyte R9 270 2GB | RAM: 8GB 1333Mhz HyperX Blu | Storage: 120GB Samsung 850 EVO + 1TB WD Caviar Blue | Chassis: NZXT H230 | Mobo: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-HD3 | PSU: Corsair CX500 500W | Cooling: CM Hyper 212 EVO | OS: Windows 10
In order of priority: GTX 970 Strix, 2 good 1080p monitors, i5 4690k, MSI Z97 Gaming 5 LGA 1150, a job

In my computers class, we learned how to use excel.  Not computers.  And when an Ethernet cable became unplugged, she never looked at the IO and proceeded to call the school's IT.  They stared at the desktop for a minute, then announced that it had a "faulty transistor" and brought in a new one, NOT EVEN NOTICING THE UNPLUGGED END OF THE OLD ONE WHEN PUTTING THE NEW ONE IN.

/rant

Can you ask your principal to replace the barrel of monkeys that is the school's IT?

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

People who don't understand the difference between downloading and uploading. "I uploaded it to my cell phone." "From where?"  "...the internet." or "I downloaded all my pictures to Facebook" GRRR! AARGH! :angry:

i7-3770K @ 4.5GHz, ASRock Z77 Extreme4, G.Skill Sniper 8GB DDR3 1866 @ CL9, ASUS GTX 780, CM HAF XM, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB, WD Black 1TB x 2, EVGA SuperNOVA G2 850W, BenQ XL2420TE 24" 144Hz @ 1080p, CM Nepton 280L, Noctua Industrial IP67 2000RPM 140mm PWM Fan x 6

What GPU? Out of curiosity.

In my sig, the one crossed out. HD 6770

It was flaky but now it works again for some odd reason

Eric S. Raymond used an E6600 from 2005 until 12/30/14 or open source software creation. Raw data computations in excess of 18GB each. Core 2 Duos still have tons of life left, my friend.

Today we made an app that calculates miles per gallon in app inventor. Oo so complex.

Today we made an app that calculates miles per gallon in app inventor. Oo so complex.

The "tech squad" at my school sent an email to us all.  This is what it said (Direct quote):

Hey Students and Teachers!

Guess what?! We made an extension that will be on all your chromebooks (hopefully by the end of today)! 

What it will do is bring you to the FMS Techsquad website and will update you when the Techsquad posts something! 

How did we accomplish such a feat? We did coding which was a super cool programming process and we couldn't have done it without Mr. *******! Be sure to check out the extension! 

The link is down below! 

Ooh, such a "feat", and they only needed help from ONE teacher!
A BOOKMARK DOES THE SAME FUCKING THING!!!!!!

CPU: AMD A10-5800K | GPU: Gigabyte R9 270 2GB | RAM: 8GB 1333Mhz HyperX Blu | Storage: 120GB Samsung 850 EVO + 1TB WD Caviar Blue | Chassis: NZXT H230 | Mobo: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-HD3 | PSU: Corsair CX500 500W | Cooling: CM Hyper 212 EVO | OS: Windows 10
In order of priority: GTX 970 Strix, 2 good 1080p monitors, i5 4690k, MSI Z97 Gaming 5 LGA 1150, a job

Can you ask your principal to replace the barrel of monkeys that is the school's IT?

We got a new guy who actually knows his shit.  Now the old ones just send him instead.  Oh, and the IT is way up there on the board of admins.  You can't replace them.

First rule of IT, whether it's hardware, software, networking or whatever is to look for the most obvious stuff first...they SHOULD know this!

i7-3770K @ 4.5GHz, ASRock Z77 Extreme4, G.Skill Sniper 8GB DDR3 1866 @ CL9, ASUS GTX 780, CM HAF XM, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB, WD Black 1TB x 2, EVGA SuperNOVA G2 850W, BenQ XL2420TE 24" 144Hz @ 1080p, CM Nepton 280L, Noctua Industrial IP67 2000RPM 140mm PWM Fan x 6

>"Why didn't you?"

>"You're using dual monitors. That uses so much graphics card power, it's stupid."

So his logic is that you shouldn't have said GPU because your current dual monitor setup (which is being powered by whatever GPU you already have) uses so much GPU power that the new card wouldn't be able to power it? Even if multi-monitor configs required lots of GPU power on idle he's still trying to say that a more powerful GPU than you already have isn't powerful enough to run the dual monitor setup you already run. WUT.

The "tech squad" at my school sent an email to us all.  This is what it said (Direct quote):

Hey Students and Teachers!

Guess what?! We made an extension that will be on all your chromebooks (hopefully by the end of today)! 

What it will do is bring you to the FMS Techsquad website and will update you when the Techsquad posts something! 

How did we accomplish such a feat? We did coding which was a super cool programming process and we couldn't have done it without Mr. *******! Be sure to check out the extension! 

The link is down below! 

Ooh, such a "feat", and they only needed help from ONE teacher!
A BOOKMARK DOES THE SAME FUCKING THING!!!!!!

Lol yeah, that was like programming for NASA or something...

Today the teacher handed out laptops for use in class, about 5 people drew my attention away from my work (read:LTT and "researching") because the wireless wouldn't work. 

le person: WinNut come over here!

Me: *walks over to person*

le person: The internet isn't working.

Me: *wordlessly reaches over and pushes wireless radio switch to "ON"*

le person: MIND=BLOWN

Today the teacher handed out laptops for use in class, about 5 people drew my attention away from my work (read:LTT and "researching") because the wireless wouldn't work. 

Our school avoids the confusion by disabling the wireless switch somehow...

So his logic is that you shouldn't have said GPU because your current dual monitor setup (which is being powered by whatever GPU you already have) uses so much GPU power that the new card wouldn't be able to power it? Even if multi-monitor configs required lots of GPU power on idle he's still trying to say that a more powerful GPU than you already have isn't powerful enough to run the dual monitor setup you already run. WUT.

Yep. And the card he found was a decent quadro one with dual DVI, and was advertised for dual-monitor optimization. Lols!

Eric S. Raymond used an E6600 from 2005 until 12/30/14 or open source software creation. Raw data computations in excess of 18GB each. Core 2 Duos still have tons of life left, my friend.

In my sig, the one crossed out. HD 6770

It was flaky but now it works again for some odd reason

Ahhh. Ok.

BestBuy sent me a $50 steam gift card that doesn't work, and their customer service won't help me at all. I can't even go into a bestbuy to get it fixed because I am on vacation in the UK. I got the gift card with a G502.

Look at my shiny. The logo lights up

Lucky, most of the girls that I know instantly hate someone for knowing a lot about computers..

Direct quote from one, "I don't like him because he's a nerd."

I know.  Girls hate me because I'm way to techy and because my sister tells everyone I'm paranoid.  

Just because I use Mac Filtering on our Wifi, change the Wifi password every 30 days and use antiviruses on all my computers.    Sure, objects do talk to me but thats not paranoid.  

Lol yeah, that was like programming for NASA or something...

My sister's school's Website is compromised with a Java Exploit kit created with Black Hole, then it downloads a few infected executables one being called "Website_Reader.exe"   

I tell them that their website is infected, and they blamed me for being a hacker! 

I mean, I work for AVG and sure I'm not a malware researcher but I know when a site has been compromised with a 1-2 year old exploit.   Actually, maybe the school made it, to spy on people!  

My friend's mom wanted to know how to download Skype.  So she showed me she clicked download multiple times, and she was using Google Chrome.  I just said click the button in the bottom.  She was mind blown.  

Reading about all these stories about terrible IT at people's schools both reminds me of the terrible IT at my high school and makes me glad I'm going to a technical school now.

Speaking of which... at my high school, all the computers ran Windows XP, unpatched, with Norton Antivirus 2006 and Spybot Search & Destroy, both of which without the latest virus definitions (which were probably a few years old at that point). And everyone was extremely confused when a virus broke out on the network. Oh, and since I was the tech god or something, each time a teacher had a problem with her computer (most of which were from 2001 or so, there were a few "newer", custom-built ones (and by "newer" I mean Core 2 Duos rather than Pentium IIIs, and yes, custom-built, there were boxes everywhere for a few months)) I had to help them with it. There were some days I spent more time doing tech support for my teachers than actually working. Oh yeah, students had nearly unrestricted Control Panel access.

Reading about all these stories about terrible IT at people's schools both reminds me of the terrible IT at my high school and makes me glad I'm going to a technical school now.

Speaking of which... at my high school, all the computers ran Windows XP, unpatched, with Norton Antivirus 2006 and Spybot Search & Destroy, both of which without the latest virus definitions (which were probably a few years old at that point). And everyone was extremely confused when a virus broke out on the network. Oh, and since I was the tech god or something, each time a teacher had a problem with her computer (most of which were from 2001 or so, there were a few "newer", custom-built ones (and by "newer" I mean Core 2 Duos rather than Pentium IIIs, and yes, custom-built, there were boxes everywhere for a few months)) I had to help them with it. There were some days I spent more time doing tech support for my teachers than actually working. Oh yeah, students had nearly unrestricted Control Panel access.

Not as bad as my high school a few years ago. Lab computers were 10 year old Athlon XP machines running winxp home with 256MB of RAM. Surprisingly held their value well. Teachers either had core 2 duos or athlon II machines.

But considering they bought so friggin many of the core 2 duo workstations, there was a stockpile of spare ones in the back of a room. Some were broken, some were just dusty as they were 4 years old. Every now and then there'd be a good graphics card/hard drive there. We'd keep an eye on the shelf in case there were good parts on them. I know for a fact some kids stole a Geforce 6800GT off of it that the techs bought and never used, sat there for 4 months. None of the HDDs were over 80GB.

I was tempted to steal a nice 450 watt modular PSU with all the cables, but I have a sense of moral fiber and didn't do so. Because I am a good guy.

Nice profile pic btw

Not as bad as my high school a few years ago. Lab computers were 10 year old Athlon XP machines running winxp home with 256MB of RAM. Surprisingly held their value well. Teachers either had core 2 duos or athlon II machines.

But considering they bought so friggin many of the core 2 duo workstations, there was a stockpile of spare ones in the back of a room. Some were broken, some were just dusty as they were 4 years old. Every now and then there'd be a good graphics card/hard drive there. We'd keep an eye on the shelf in case there were good parts on them. I know for a fact some kids stole a Geforce 6800GT off of it that the techs bought and never used, sat there for 4 months. None of the HDDs were over 80GB.

I was tempted to steal a nice 450 watt modular PSU with all the cables, but I have a sense of moral fiber and didn't do so. Because I am a good guy.

Nice profile pic btw

Every few weeks at my high school, it felt like one or more of these computers broke down (it was actually surprisingly worse on the Core 2 Duo machines than the dinosaur Pentium III machines, these were PCs from 2000) and it took months at a time to get them fixed. What I find interesting was there was this old, retired Pentium 4 gaming PC there, even had all the lights, temperature monitors, fan mounts and acrylic windows everywhere. Guess how often that broke down too?

Oh yeah, the PCs I'm talking about looked like this. Yeah.

And heh, thanks.

Every few weeks at my high school, it felt like one or more of these computers broke down (it was actually surprisingly worse on the Core 2 Duo machines than the dinosaur Pentium III machines, these were PCs from 2000) and it took months at a time to get them fixed. What I find interesting was there was this old, retired Pentium 4 gaming PC there, even had all the lights, temperature monitors, fan mounts and acrylic windows everywhere. Guess how often that broke down too?

And heh, thanks.

P3 was one of the most stable architectures they've ever released. Ever.

AAH! AAH!! GET AWAY. GET THE FUCK AWAY FROM ME!!

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

And heh, thanks.

You should see if they'll give you that P4 rig since that would be something awesome for retro gaming.

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

My friend paying 800$ for a Pentium g3258, asrock anniversary z97, gtx 750 (no ti) and a "custom water cooling setup", which just happens to be an AIO with an I buy power sticker slapped on it. For some reason it starts, then turns off, then you have to turn it on once more to get it to work. "So when do you think I should get another 750 and SLI them?" *Facedesk* He also has a random generic psu in it with like 18 volts on the +12 rail, told him to return it, "No man it works great, I can't wait to get my new monitor so I can finally record 1080p regularly" Me:"I'm getting a new rig, fx 6300 and an r9 270x." Him:" dont get it" "why" "because its AMD" "But its cheaper and might (probably) even be better than yours" "AMD sucks don't get it" "Why does AMD suck? "Because its AMD" *facedesk* *facedesk* *facedesk* *facedesk*

Really sorry for the giant post, I really really really needed to rant about it.

Fanboys.  <_<

A while ago I was on about getting an AMD GPU, second hand 'cause I didn't have a lot of money at the time, and every time I mentioned it my friend would try to persuade me to get a nVidia one just for Shadowplay when I had explicitly stated I was using OBS to stream/record anyway, and I still don't see how it in any way affects him.

People that buy 8GB of RAM for a 32 bit system.

Or people that STILL use 32 bit systems.

Yeah, embarrassing story, I got a PC a bit ago and for months I thought for some reason that despite having 8GB RAM the manufacturers had decided to install 32-bit Windows 8 on it, turns out for some reason the Java website gave me 32-bit Java and I never bothered to actually check it... :wacko:

Thank you.

Wardojack.

You should see if they'll give you that P4 rig since that would be something awesome for retro gaming.

Nah, I already got a 1.6GHz P4 PC with an unbranded 32MB RIVA TNT2 in my closet. Just need to figure out the sound and networking, and I should be good to go for retro gaming.

AAH! AAH!! GET AWAY. GET THE FUCK AWAY FROM ME!!

Yeah... we used to have one of those machines, actually. It wasn't great back then and it certainly wasn't great when I began there in 2008.

P3 was one of the most stable architectures they've ever released. Ever.

I can remember having this HP Pavilion desktop with a PIII 933MHz. Windows Me wasn't very stable on it (then again, that's just the Mistake Edition doing its thing) but when we upgraded it to Windows XP... it lasted us until 2006. Yeah, imagine using a 933MHz PIII with 128MB RAM in 2006.