Experiences with non-techies

Yesterday i was talking to this girl, and she asked me what my hobbies are. So i told her computers and tech. so she asked me all sorts of not-techie questions, the best of which is "can you get rid of viruses?" Although she is an obvious non-techie, she wasn't obnoxious or anything, just didn't know. anyway, I now have a new person to look after when it comes to computers. ;)

Lucky, most of the girls that I know instantly hate someone for knowing a lot about computers..

Direct quote from one, "I don't like him because he's a nerd."

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

Yesterday i was talking to this girl, and she asked me what my hobbies are. So i told her computers and tech. so she asked me all sorts of not-techie questions, the best of which is "can you get rid of viruses?" Although she is an obvious non-techie, she wasn't obnoxious or anything, just didn't know. anyway, I now have a new person to look after when it comes to computers. ;)

I just love it when someone looks at me all googlie-eyed asking if i can clean viruses for them. Its like, so easy, but it seems to mystify them :) Its just about the cutest thing in the world sometimes. 

At work today 

---------------------------------

"Hey, do you clean...you know, like outside of work?"

"clean...as in......."

"You know, would you like, clean my computer if i asked you to?

"is this an innuendo?"

"What? I just want to know if you'll clean my computer"

"I am not, a janitor...really"

"No i mean, of..bugs and stuff"

"Oh...so no, im not an exterminator, but i can get rid of viruses"

"Yes! so you can clean my computer?"

"Yes, i will clean your computer so hard"

"What?"

"Well i mean, its easy to get rid of viruses, here download malwarebytes and combofix"

"Those sound like the bugs on my computer"

"Yeah, but im in IT, so its safe, go to ninite.com and just click the checkboxes, they install by themselves that way so you dont have to think about it"

"So how much do these things cost"

"Its free, just got to learn where the buttons are on all of the pages"

"So....wh-"

"See there is this big green button that practically says remove viruses"

"oh.....alright that sounds easy! :)"

"Yeah, it is convenient, have a wonderful day! :)"

I bet I'll get unfriended immediately on Facebook for it, but still would be hilarious.

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

nvm old post is old.

Old is gold ;).

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

Whenever I mention anything about building computers while I'm using my laptop I immediately get asked:

"Oh, did you build your laptop?"

...yes I did, that's why it says Lenovo on it.

But you can build laptops... it's just 5 million times harder because of space and finding parts that actually fit together :)

PC Specs: 

• CPU
      Intel Pentium G3258 @ 4.0GHz
    • Motherboard
      Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI
    • RAM
      Corsair Vengeance 16GB 4x4GB DDR3 @ 1333MHz
    • GPU
      EVGA GeForce GTX 760 Superclocked ACX
    • Case
      Corsair Graphite 230T Red Windowed
    • Storage
      Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 7200RPM
    • PSU
      Antec HCG-620M
    • Display(s)
      Dell S2409W 1920x1080, HP vs19 1280x1024
    • Cooling
      Stock Coolers
    • Keyboard
      Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000
    • Mouse
      Microsoft Arc Touch Mouse - Limited Edition Artist Series - Oh Joy
    • Sound
      Altec Lansing FX4021
    • Operating System
      Windows 10 Technical Preview

Lucky, most of the girls that I know instantly hate someone for knowing a lot about computers..

Direct quote from one, "I don't like him because he's a nerd."

But I like nerds.....(No homo)

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

I think it's like 800-900 for the smallest, crappiest SKU...

Most of the cost probably legit goes to having that fancy logo.

PC Specs: 

• CPU
    • Motherboard
      Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI
    • RAM
    • GPU
    • Case
    • Storage
    • PSU
      Antec HCG-620M
    • Display(s)
    • Cooling
      Stock Coolers
    • Keyboard
    • Mouse
    • Sound
      Altec Lansing FX4021
    • Operating System

My friend paying 800$ for a Pentium g3258, asrock anniversary z97, gtx 750 (no ti) and a "custom water cooling setup", which just happens to be an AIO with an I buy power sticker slapped on it. For some reason it starts, then turns off, then you have to turn it on once more to get it to work. "So when do you think I should get another 750 and SLI them?" *Facedesk* He also has a random generic psu in it with like 18 volts on the +12 rail, told him to return it, "No man it works great, I can't wait to get my new monitor so I can finally record 1080p regularly" Me:"I'm getting a new rig, fx 6300 and an r9 270x." Him:" dont get it" "why" "because its AMD" "But its cheaper and might (probably) even be better than yours" "AMD sucks don't get it" "Why does AMD suck? "Because its AMD" *facedesk* *facedesk* *facedesk* *facedesk*

Really sorry for the giant post, I really really really needed to rant about it.

fx 6300 - sapphire dual x r9 270x - Zalman z9 - Evga 500B - Cooler master hyper TX3 - Win. 8.1 - Asrock 970 extreme 3 r2.0 - Crucial ballstix sport 8gb (2x4) - WD blue 1TB - some random optical drive for 11$

My friend paying 800$ for a Pentium g3258, asrock anniversary z97, gtx 750 (no ti) and a "custom water cooling setup", which just happens to be an AIO with an I buy power sticker slapped on it. For some reason it starts, then turns off, then you have to turn it on once more to get it to work. "So when do you think I should get another 750 and SLI them?" *Facedesk* He also has a random generic psu in it with like 18 volts on the +12 rail, told him to return it, "No man it works great, I can't wait to get my new monitor so I can finally record 1080p regularly" Me:"I'm getting a new rig, fx 6300 and an r9 270x." Him:" dont get it" "why" "because its AMD" "But its cheaper and might (probably) even be better than yours" "AMD sucks don't get it" "Why does AMD suck? "Because its AMD" *facedesk* *facedesk* *facedesk* *facedesk*

Really sorry for the giant post, I really really really needed to rant about it.

Them part choices though. I have a Pentium G3258 like he does because overclockable Pentiums FTW, but I managed to fit a GTX 760 SC from EVGA into my $800 budget. What, did all of his budget go to the case or something?

PC Specs: 

• CPU
    • Motherboard
      Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI
    • RAM
    • GPU
    • Case
    • Storage
    • PSU
      Antec HCG-620M
    • Display(s)
    • Cooling
      Stock Coolers
    • Keyboard
    • Mouse
    • Sound
      Altec Lansing FX4021
    • Operating System

Um, don't know if this counts, but some random guy is in the General Discussion forum and posting some Indian Marriage help thing on what is clearly a tech forum xD

EDIT: Never mind, the gods of forum moderators too strong.

PC Specs: 

• CPU
    • Motherboard
      Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI
    • RAM
    • GPU
    • Case
    • Storage
    • PSU
      Antec HCG-620M
    • Display(s)
    • Cooling
      Stock Coolers
    • Keyboard
    • Mouse
    • Sound
      Altec Lansing FX4021
    • Operating System

Who is this 4chan?

gWngBjI.gif

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

-snip-

Oh, I remember when I tried watching mainstream media. I turned it off and started reading all of my news.

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

Play your cards right and you might be able to get some while fixing her PC :P

The Dude's PC Build<p>i5 4690k @ 3.5ghz w/ The Crappy Intel Stock Cooler | Asus Z97-K | 8GB Corsair Vengance LP DDR3 RAM @ 1600mhz |1TB Seagate Barracuda + 120GB Samsung Evo SSD | Gigabyte Windforce R9 290 4GB | 650 Watt CoolerMaster Gaming Series PSU | Bitfenix Shinobi Windowed | BenQ GL2460 | Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Brown | Razer Naga Hex Wraith Red gaming mouse | A £0.63 mouse pad from artcow.com

People here know I've had speeds of .05Mb/s down and .2Mb/s up with pings in the 1000+ range for no reason.

3884545421.png3871810289.png

And I still have nothing relevant to this thread to post about non-techies... :( Well at least for today.

Alright....that's a bit closer to my records. Nice job. Your internet is as bad as mine! :)

Something triggered my dad the other day to bash the crap out of AMD because he is a major Intel fanboy.

Look at my shiny. The logo lights up

gWngBjI.gif

Googled and found the segment of that.

http://gawker.com/a-very-confused-cnn-wonders-who-is-4chan-1629551201

For those curious.

Edit: It's really bad. He suggests not using words as your password when I thought that short hard combinations were easier to crack than long only word passwords. At least that's what XKCD taught me.

Play the greatest game ever. TF2. http://www.teamfortress.com/

I have a friend that told me he could download a GPU. He was installing Nvidia drivers to a laptop with onboard GPU  (HD 3000).

CPU: i5-3330 @ 3Ghz     Motherboard: Intel DH67CL     GPU: EVGA GTX 780 ACX     RAM: 12GB Kingston DD3 1333Mhz     Storage: 1x PNY XLR8 120GB     PSU: Sentey BRP 700W     Case: A shame

Being asked by your grandmother how windows 8 works, or being asked how to turn it on.

~Riley

People that buy 8GB of RAM for a 32 bit system.

Or people that STILL use 32 bit systems.

PC Specs: 

• CPU
    • Motherboard
      Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI
    • RAM
    • GPU
    • Case
    • Storage
    • PSU
      Antec HCG-620M
    • Display(s)
    • Cooling
      Stock Coolers
    • Keyboard
    • Mouse
    • Sound
      Altec Lansing FX4021
    • Operating System

>Be sitting with dad in living room
>start discussion on computer hardware

>dad found decent GPU for $10.99 i was going to pay him back for, if he bought it

>"You saw that GPU for $10.99 on ebay? That's a good deal."
>"Yeah. I would've got it too." 
>"Why didn't you?"
>"You're using dual monitors. That uses so much graphics card power, it's stupid."
>"Not really, modern ones are really powerful."
>"I worked at a best buy and taught people how to do quad monitors back in the 90's. I know it's resource intensive."
>"New graphics cards are really, really fast. Dual monitors are common now, too."
>"Because they're stupid." 
>"I use mine to do actual work though, like I have a skype call with friends from china as I do my chinese homework."
>"Yeah, right, whatever makes you happy. I'm not going to argue with you about it. I'm right and that's it."

>tfw gpu usage is 0% in msi afterburner

2xiu4SB.png

Eric S. Raymond used an E6600 from 2005 until 12/30/14 or open source software creation. Raw data computations in excess of 18GB each. Core 2 Duos still have tons of life left, my friend.

People that buy 8GB of RAM for a 32 bit system.

Or people that STILL use 32 bit systems.

I had a post earlier about someone who bought 16GB for a 32-bit system.

Eric S. Raymond used an E6600 from 2005 until 12/30/14 or open source software creation. Raw data computations in excess of 18GB each. Core 2 Duos still have tons of life left, my friend.

I had a post earlier about someone who bought 16GB for a 32-bit system.

Oh boy. I still have yet to get to page 100 on this.

PC Specs: 

• CPU
    • Motherboard
      Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI
    • RAM
    • GPU
    • Case
    • Storage