Forbes: PS4 and Xbox One are already out of date

Ashley

Now I can already imagine the comments. "Yeah we already knew that". The point is Forbes themselves, which is increasingly a source for tech and a (mainstream one at that) said it.

This is significant because of all the other mainstream outlets saying "resolution doesn't matter" "30fps is enough" "PS4 is more powerful than most gaming PCs".

However there are a few unfortunate things about the article: PC/Windows is not mentioned as an alternative for 4k gaming, and mobile/cloud gaming is not mentioned. So, this article may be criticizing the consoles but there is a lot lacking for a bit of a deeper analysis of the current gaming hardware situation we are currently in.

The main point in the article focused on resolution and 4k support, which the two "HD/realistic graphics" focused consoles currently lack.

But I’m confident that within as little as 12 months most of you will agree that their inability to deliver games at a ‘4K’ or Ultra High Definition (UHD) resolution of 3840×2160 pixels – or something close to it, at least – will make both the supposedly ‘next generation’ consoles feel like yesterday’s news.

source: http://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarcher/2014/09/12/the-ps4-and-xbox-one-are-already-out-of-date/

CPU: 5820k 4.5Ghz 1.28v, RAM: 16GB Crucial 2400mhz, Motherboard: Evga X99 Micro, Graphics Card: GTX 780, Water Cooling: EK Acetal CPU/GPU blocks,

240mm Magicool slim rad, 280mm Alphacool rad, D5 Vario pump, 1/4 ID 3/4 OD tubing, Noctua Redux 140/120mm fans. PSU: Evga 750w G2 SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB & Seagate SSHD 2TB Audio: Sennheiser HD558s, JBL! speakers, Fiio E10k DAC/Amp Monitor: Xstar DP2710LED @ 96hz (Korean Monitor) Case: Fractal Node 804

no shit sherlock 

and in other news beats headphones are overpriced

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

b5f02c8dc6de57640af614067f358ae4.png

no shit sherlock 

and in other news beats headphones are overpriced

Now I can already imagine the comments. "Yeah we already knew that". The point is Forbes themselves, which is increasingly a source for tech and a (mainstream one at that) said it.

This is significant because of all the other mainstream outlets saying "resolution doesn't matter" "30fps is enough" "PS4 is more powerful than most gaming PCs".

CPU: 5820k 4.5Ghz 1.28v, RAM: 16GB Crucial 2400mhz, Motherboard: Evga X99 Micro, Graphics Card: GTX 780, Water Cooling: EK Acetal CPU/GPU blocks,

240mm Magicool slim rad, 280mm Alphacool rad, D5 Vario pump, 1/4 ID 3/4 OD tubing, Noctua Redux 140/120mm fans. PSU: Evga 750w G2 SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB & Seagate SSHD 2TB Audio: Sennheiser HD558s, JBL! speakers, Fiio E10k DAC/Amp Monitor: Xstar DP2710LED @ 96hz (Korean Monitor) Case: Fractal Node 804

Its amusing to see Forbes getting into Tech news more and more, and they are certainly right, I hope that now it also gets through to the averge consumer and not just us tech heads; that, although the games on those consoles are still fun, the pure processing power is just low and that they are outdated

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

michael_rosen_gif_by_lucy_labrador-d4i5b

Took them long enough.

“The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it the more it will contract” -Oliver Wendell Holmes “If it can be destroyed by the truth, it deserves to be destroyed by the truth.” -Carl Sagan

Its amusing to see Forbes getting into Tech news more and more, and they are certainly right, I hope that now it also gets through to the averge consumer and not just us tech heads; that, although the games on those consoles are still fun, the pure processing power is just low and that they are outdated

I personally don't know a lot about Destiny. But I'll say this. They put it on how many platforms? 4 or 6? Basically all the "next gen" consoles and the PS3/XB360. All of which have controllers which are inherently worse for a FPS.

This is what happens when they dont blow the specs out of the water did they did with the 7th generation

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

I personally don't know a lot about Destiny. But I'll say this. They put it on how many platforms? 4 or 6? Basically all the "next gen" consoles and the PS3/XB360. All of which have controllers which are inherently worse for a FPS.

Well they are worse for an FPS compaired to a keyboard and mouse, but as everyone has a controller on those consoles the playingfield is level, so then it doesn't really matter much. I personally don't like playing FPS with controllers, but if you are used to it, it might be fun

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Surface RT

Server:

Wow, today must be PCMASTERRACE Troll christmas. Not only is Forbes calling Console shit, but Console was matched by an Iphone according to the EA CEO (even though he might be an idiot and probably isn't qualified to make that judgement).

ff6569a7c9289d6bfff9d7598dc5b32b.jpg?dd=

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Instead of them talking about FPS and resolution. I want developers to start caring about aesthetics.

But these things are very much tied together, and they are talking about giving the best possible visuals and usually say that as an excus for why they have a lower res and frame rate. They can't skimp on the aesthetics since that is what people will see in the trailers and on posters, they can't make that look bad, but resolution and frame rate don't mean that much to many many consumers, al they care about is a pretty picture, not caring about its pixels or fps

Main rig:

Other devices

Surface RT

Server:

they are not out of date. Try building a pc for the cost of a ps4 with better graphics performance than a ps4.

I also think the author is wrong where he says that within one year gamers are going to be demanding 4k gaming in the mainstream. It only becomes a factor if there is a competitor who can pull that off. And there is No such competitor in the mainstream. The only thing which can drive 4k gaming is high end pc but that hardware operates in a Totally did different price bracket.

Instead of them talking about FPS and resolution. I want developers to start caring about aesthetics.

FPS and resolution are quick, simple figures and do make an impact on gameplay. But I get your point. This same phenomenon let to the unnecessary trend of QHD displays in phones...

Well they are worse for an FPS compaired to a keyboard and mouse, but as everyone has a controller on those consoles the playingfield is level, so then it doesn't really matter much. I personally don't like playing FPS with controllers, but if you are used to it, it might be fun

If they want to force a level playing field that's fine. The PC server could be exclusively PC players.

you could go to the antique store and buy a vase..

If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life thinking it's stupid.  - Albert Einstein

dead-horse.gif

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

they are not out of date. Try building a pc for the cost of a ps4 with better graphics performance than a ps4.

I also think the author is wrong where he says that within one year gamers are going to be demanding 4k gaming in the mainstream. It only becomes a factor if there is a competitor who can pull that off. And there is No such competitor in the mainstream. The only thing which can drive 4k gaming is high end pc but that hardware operates in a Totally did different price bracket.

pc is more expensive because it does a lot more.

spend $450 upgrading a 3yr old mid range pc and you'll see much better results than a miserly console.

If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life thinking it's stupid.  - Albert Einstein

And since the PS4/One are 400, thats a tall order. 

You need a small case, a equivalent GPU and CPU (new, since we are achieving parity here in quality and features), a motherboard that has WiFi + BT, near silent operation (cause thats what the consoles do), and a OS. 

I'll sit here and wait at what monstrosity people make. Sure, cases smaller than the XBO exist, but cases like the PS4? LOLNOPE. 

I spent (well, have spent) around triple of what a console costs on my "gaming" rig. Its large, its beefy, its barely comparable. I can't make a PC that outdoes the consoles for 400. To say that is asinine RIGHT NOW. 

Maybe the next generation of CPUs and GPUs will allow low price point builds to finally outdo the consoles entirely, but this circle jerk of "DAE 400 DOLLAR PC BEATS CONSOLES" is getting tiresome. 

That 400 dollar PC WILL NOT be doing 1080p 60fps in all games. You'll be making the same damn compromises that developers do on console settings. 

-snip

716.jpg

And since the PS4/One are 400, thats a tall order. 

You need a small case, a equivalent GPU and CPU (new, since we are achieving parity here in quality and features), a motherboard that has WiFi + BT, near silent operation (cause thats what the consoles do), and a OS. 

I'll sit here and wait at what monstrosity people make. Sure, cases smaller than the XBO exist, but cases like the PS4? LOLNOPE. 

I spent (well, have spent) around triple of what a console costs on my "gaming" rig. Its large, its beefy, its barely comparable. I can't make a PC that outdoes the consoles for 400. To say that is asinine RIGHT NOW. 

Maybe the next generation of CPUs and GPUs will allow low price point builds to finally outdo the consoles entirely, but this circle jerk of "DAE 400 DOLLAR PC BEATS CONSOLES" is getting tiresome. 

That 400 dollar PC WILL NOT be doing 1080p 60fps in all games. You'll be making the same damn compromises that developers do on console settings. 

Yeah you don't need a small case, the only thing a small case does is limit the amount of hardware you can put into it, and make it run hotter. It's still easy to make a PC for 450-400 that woops console up and down all day, every day. Do some searching on the internet and you will find plenty of builds for it.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Wow, today must be PCMASTERRACE Troll christmas. Not only is Forbes calling Console shit, but Console was matched by an Iphone according to the EA CEO (even though he might be an idiot and probably isn't qualified to make that judgement).

ff6569a7c9289d6bfff9d7598dc5b32b.jpg?dd=

2010:

Infinity_Blade_Gameplay.jpg

2011:

screen480x480.jpeg

2013:

screen520x924.jpeg

2014:

screen568x568.jpeg

2014:

y9QBNbC.jpg

I know the last two are not impressive graphics wise, but my point being mobile gaming has really been coming along nicely. And I mean real gaming, not *ahem* Candycrush, Angry Birds or those other flick or tap games.

Yeah you don't need a small case, the only thing a small case does is limit the amount of hardware you can put into it, and make it run hotter. It's still easy to make a PC for 450-400 that woops console up and down all day, every day. Do some searching on the internet and you will find plenty of builds for it.

Not 400-450. 400 even. 399.99 in fact. 

And a case does matter. A console like the PS4 is pretty damn portable so you better make a build that matches the portability of it. 

SHOW ME what builds are "wooping consoles up and down" for 399.99. They better be doing EVERY game at 1080p60fps then. Anything less and its just a crock a shit. 

That is what a Nintendo is for. Bought mine for 199 from Nintendo direct. Nintendo plus a PC seems like the way to go. The "next gen consoles" are just bad PC's and ONE "GREAT"  game is not a good reason to buy them. Those "GREAT" games are not even out yet. Uncharted etc. 

A Nintendo at 199 bucks makes sense. A crappy PC at 400-500 that shares like 99 percent of the game library as a PC, in addition to a ridiculous monthly fee to play online does not. In addition to that, PC gets "exclusives" from both sides. 

Console exclusives all coming to or on PC (and this is just off the top of my head).

Rise - Xbox

Planetside 2 - Sony

Dead Rising 3 - Xbox

Ori Forest - Xbox

Everquest Next - Sony

H1Z1 - Sony

No Man's sky - Sony

Tomb Raider - Xbox (probably a long delay, thanks MS)

So PC gets more "exclusives" then either "next gen" console and MS screws us over more than Sony, when we pay MS 100 dollars to play games on the PC. Go figure..

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.