Forbes: PS4 and Xbox One are already out of date

Ashley

And since the PS4/One are 400, thats a tall order. 

You need a small case, a equivalent GPU and CPU (new, since we are achieving parity here in quality and features), a motherboard that has WiFi + BT, near silent operation (cause thats what the consoles do), and a OS. 

I'll sit here and wait at what monstrosity people make. Sure, cases smaller than the XBO exist, but cases like the PS4? LOLNOPE. 

I spent (well, have spent) around triple of what a console costs on my "gaming" rig. Its large, its beefy, its barely comparable. I can't make a PC that outdoes the consoles for 400. To say that is asinine RIGHT NOW. 

Maybe the next generation of CPUs and GPUs will allow low price point builds to finally outdo the consoles entirely, but this circle jerk of "DAE 400 DOLLAR PC BEATS CONSOLES" is getting tiresome. 

That 400 dollar PC WILL NOT be doing 1080p 60fps in all games. You'll be making the same damn compromises that developers do on console settings. 

That is true that with the constraints of size, noise, and performance you may not be able to build something for that price. However I'd love to see an Alienware X51 style case for super cheap to see somebody try this. A console sized 1080p60 PC gaming experience.

CPU: 5820k 4.5Ghz 1.28v, RAM: 16GB Crucial 2400mhz, Motherboard: Evga X99 Micro, Graphics Card: GTX 780, Water Cooling: EK Acetal CPU/GPU blocks,

240mm Magicool slim rad, 280mm Alphacool rad, D5 Vario pump, 1/4 ID 3/4 OD tubing, Noctua Redux 140/120mm fans. PSU: Evga 750w G2 SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB & Seagate SSHD 2TB Audio: Sennheiser HD558s, JBL! speakers, Fiio E10k DAC/Amp Monitor: Xstar DP2710LED @ 96hz (Korean Monitor) Case: Fractal Node 804

people will be disappointed by the performance and game quality of consoles compared to pc's within a year no doubt :S

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

Not 400-450. 400 even. 399.99 in fact. 

And a case does matter. A console like the PS4 is pretty damn portable so you better make a build that matches the portability of it. 

SHOW ME what builds are "wooping consoles up and down" for 399.99. They better be doing EVERY game at 1080p60fps then. Anything less and its just a crock a shit. 

Someone is forgetting monthly fees to play online and prices that are much higher on video games. Here this should help.

http://www.cheapshark.com/

You are also forgetting that when MS finally allows us to have a low level API, that a consoles value will be DESTROYED. The Xbox will be a 1.7ghz AMD mobile cpu with a AMD 7770 in it. The PS4 will be the same thing with a AMD 7790 in it. Both are laughable and will not be worth 100 dollars in hardware in a couple years. Something like a AMD 8350 is more than twice the CPU and not considered super strong, and that has been as low as 99 bucks in the last few years at Microcenter. Add to that, we have to add 100 dollars to the PC, due to Microsoft (who is also screwing us over making us wait for the low level API, because it hurts their Xbox), and developers and PC gamers might finally grow a brain, get sick of MS's crap, and stop buying their OS all together with alternatives available. What does that mean? Take 100 bucks off the PC price in the coming years.

Pc gamers can stop MS's BS really quickly. Simply stop buying their OS and the devs will move to OpenGL. Prob why MS has so many salesman on forums, telling us all about the awesome new features of Windows 9...

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

people will be disappointed by the performance and game quality of consoles compared to pc's within a year no doubt :S

You mean once we get 20nm graphics cards?

Someone is forgetting monthly fees to play online and prices that are much higher on video games. Here this should help.

http://www.cheapshark.com/

You are also forgetting that when MS finally allows us to have a low level API, that a consoles value will be DESTROYED. The Xbox will be a 1.7ghz AMD mobile cpu with a AMD 7770 in it. The PS4 will be the same thing with a AMD 7790 in it. Both are laughable and will not be worth 100 dollars in hardware in a couple years. Add to that, we have to add 100 dollars to the PC, due to Microsoft (who is also screwing us over making us wait for the low level API, because it hurts their Xbox), and developers and PC gamers might finally grow a brain, get sick of MS's crap, and stop buying their OS all together with alternatives available. What does that mean? Take 100 bucks off the PC price in the coming years.

Pc gamers can stop MS's BS really quickly. Simply stop buying their OS and the devs will move to OpenGL. Prob why MS has so many salesman on forums, telling us all about the awesome new features of Windows 9...

I'm pretty sure the PS4 is closer to a 7850 than a 7790. Especially given the 50% raw compute difference and the fact the 7790 is just an overclocked 7770.

Unfortunately OpenGL needs a bit of love I think before it can be a mainstream platform again. DirectX is much easier to make games for and has much much more support from major engines.

CPU: 5820k 4.5Ghz 1.28v, RAM: 16GB Crucial 2400mhz, Motherboard: Evga X99 Micro, Graphics Card: GTX 780, Water Cooling: EK Acetal CPU/GPU blocks,

240mm Magicool slim rad, 280mm Alphacool rad, D5 Vario pump, 1/4 ID 3/4 OD tubing, Noctua Redux 140/120mm fans. PSU: Evga 750w G2 SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB & Seagate SSHD 2TB Audio: Sennheiser HD558s, JBL! speakers, Fiio E10k DAC/Amp Monitor: Xstar DP2710LED @ 96hz (Korean Monitor) Case: Fractal Node 804

And a case does matter. A console like the PS4 is pretty damn portable so you better make a build that matches the portability of it. 

SHOW ME what builds are "wooping consoles up and down" for 399.99. They better be doing EVERY game at 1080p60fps then. Anything less and its just a crock a shit. 

Again, we're talking about performance not portability. If your to weak or lazy to pick up a simple PC with a gpu in it, maybe you need to put down the controller and get your ass some exercise.

https://www.google.com/search?q=%24400+PC+to+beat+PS4&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=nts

Went with the PS4 since that's the "superior" shitbox.

Get rekt dude and wake your ass up. Console is shit, has been shit, will continue to be shit.

ALSO. you don't HAVE to buy Windows OS for pc, you can get a copy of SteamOS for free. When that actually moves from beta to release, it (I think) should have all of the games currently on steam so.....

get rekt consoles

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

-snip-

yeh those too :D

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

And since the PS4/One are 400, thats a tall order.

You need a small case, a equivalent GPU and CPU (new, since we are achieving parity here in quality and features), a motherboard that has WiFi + BT, near silent operation (cause thats what the consoles do), and a OS.

I'll sit here and wait at what monstrosity people make. Sure, cases smaller than the XBO exist, but cases like the PS4? LOLNOPE.

I spent (well, have spent) around triple of what a console costs on my "gaming" rig. Its large, its beefy, its barely comparable. I can't make a PC that outdoes the consoles for 400. To say that is asinine RIGHT NOW.

Maybe the next generation of CPUs and GPUs will allow low price point builds to finally outdo the consoles entirely, but this circle jerk of "DAE 400 DOLLAR PC BEATS CONSOLES" is getting tiresome.

That 400 dollar PC WILL NOT be doing 1080p 60fps in all games. You'll be making the same damn compromises that developers do on console settings.

exactly my point. Everyone talks about how to build a pc that beats consoles which is fine except they do it at a different price point. I too, like You have a beast pc. I don't compare it to my phone and claim that my phone is outdated and underpowered. Different devices for different purposes at different price points.

Yet people still insist on comparing and claiming consoles are outdated.

Again, we're talking about performance not portability. If your to weak or lazy to pick up a simple PC with a gpu in it, maybe you need to put down the controller and get your ass some exercise.

https://www.google.com/search?q=%24400+PC+to+beat+PS4&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=nts

Went with the PS4 since that's the "superior" shitbox.

Get rekt dude and wake your ass up. Console is shit, has been shit, will continue to be shit.

So now people who build LAN rigs in small form factor cases are "weak and lazy, and get their asses some exercise"? Way to go all out ad hominem there. Truly, excellent logic.

If your variety of debate is "get rekt and wake your ass up" then I've said all I can really say to someone who has no idea what they are talking about, insists on trotting out tired stereotypes, and doesn't have an ounce of critical reasoning in their repertoire. 

Does nobody see that in every house must exist a PC? So instead of spending 400 for a console and 400 more (I'm being optimistic here...could easily be 500 to 600) for a PC that cannot game that well (because maybe is even a prebuilt one) I would rather spend 800 for a decent gaming PC... So no need to build a 400 dollars PC that can match the consoles... And for the ones who say that buying a console is easier than build a PC: there are companies like NCIX that do that for you for a reasonable price!! And now don't tell me that people can't shop online and it's easier to go to a store down the street... It's 2014 guys...

P.S. : and yeah, consoles are already outdated now... Think about 2 years from now... The PC hardware will evolve and the consoles will remain like this for at least another 4-5 years...

You mean once we get 20nm graphics cards?

I'm pretty sure the PS4 is closer to a 7850 than a 7790. Especially given the 50% raw compute difference and the fact the 7790 is just an overclocked 7770.

Unfortunately OpenGL needs a bit of love I think before it can be a mainstream platform again. DirectX is much easier to make games for and has much much more support from major engines.

You can look up the TFLOPS on AMD's site. The GPU's are semi custom and not custom. The TFLOPS are all that matters since the GPU's on both are underclocked by quite a bit. The PS4 GPU is underclocked a little more than the Xbox GPU, because MS wanted to play catch up in late development and "OC'd" theirs.

The PS4 is SLIGHTLY higher than a 7790, but any desktop 7790 could achieve those TFLOP's on a slight OC. The XB1 is about a 7770 and that is AFTER they removed Kinect from taking resources in the SDK. Before it was 1.2x tflops, now it is around 1.3. Ms sold this as a massive improvement (LOL). 

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

So now people who build LAN rigs in small form factor cases are "weak and lazy, and get their asses some exercise"? Way to go all out ad hominem there. Truly, excellent logic.

If your variety of debate is "get rekt and wake your ass up" then I've said all I can really say to someone who has no idea what they are talking about, insists on trotting out tired stereotypes, and doesn't have an ounce of critical reasoning in their repertoire. 

Again,

It's been done. Small form factor is a lazy ass way to win your argument. I don't care how big my PC is, if I want to go to a LAN party, I'll fucking carry it because it's not really a big deal.

Also this:

Does nobody see that in every house must exist a PC? So instead of spending 400 for a console and 400 more (I'm being optimistic here...could easily be 500 to 600) for a PC that cannot game that well (because maybe is even a prebuilt one) I would rather spend 800 for a decent gaming PC... So no need to build a 400 dollars PC that can match the consoles... And for the ones who say that buying a console is easier than build a PC: there are companies like NCIX that do that for you for a reasonable price!! And now don't tell me that people can't shop online and it's easier to go to a store down the street... It's 2014 guys...

Not to mention having to pay an extra subscription for online play....because reasons. More expensive games, less versatility etc.

You do realise consoles don't really do 1080p @ 60fps either right?

Anyways, I'm the inbetween guy... Consoles themselves are pretty great for a slack gamer sitting on his couch and it's infact quiet and pretty looking(ps4)... But yeah 399.99.... That all hoes away as soon as you buy the first game.

But, the slim package for a pc is something to be desired.

Anyways, I'm the inbetween guy... Consoles themselves are pretty great for a slack gamer sitting on his couch and it's infact quiet and pretty looking(ps4)... But yeah 399.99.... That all hoes away as soon as you buy the first game.

You forgot the unlimited price of having to pay to play online.

Am I the only one left who doesnt get the whole "small package" thing? I could care less if it's a teeny tiny case, as long as it can breath well enough that it doesn't overheat and melt it's own soldering then it's g2g

Edit: Also, why can't you sit on the couch and play a PC with KBM?

Instead of them talking about FPS and resolution. I want developers to start caring about aesthetics.

I used to think similarly but these days I care less and less about aesthetic. As long as it looks "good enough" as far as the textures and models go, then I'm good.

We saw what happened near the end of last gen, where developers lowered everything they could (resolution, fps, fov) in order to improve things like lighting and such. They took a lot of detail out of things in the distance as well, to the point where it got extremely noticeable.

Tea, Metal, and poorly written code.

ALSO. you don't HAVE to buy Windows OS for pc, you can get a copy of SteamOS for free. When that actually moves from beta to release, it (I think) should have all of the games currently on steam so.....

get rekt consoles

steamOS is Linux. It will not have all the windows steam games. Valve has so far been very successful in convincing devs to port to Linux. So the situation has got better and will continue to get better over the years. But No You cannot play all your games. Not even close. Most devs won't bother porting. What will happen though is more and more new games will Come with Linux support.

Actually, they do. And its this kind of misinformation spreading that makes PC communities look like shit. Even PCMR doesn't descend into asshattery of this magnitude

http://ca.ign.com/wikis/xbox-one/PS4_vs._Xbox_One_Native_Resolutions_and_Framerates

Is that a stellar list? Absolutely not. But it also proves that every single time we say "DAE CONSOLES ARE SHITE" we are just perpetuating crap info and are no better then the console fanboys we claim to be against. 

Actually, they do. And its this kind of misinformation spreading that makes PC communities look like shit. Even PCMR doesn't descend into asshattery of this magnitude

http://ca.ign.com/wikis/xbox-one/PS4_vs._Xbox_One_Native_Resolutions_and_Framerates

Is that a stellar list? Absolutely not. But it also proves that every single time we say "DAE CONSOLES ARE SHITE" we are just perpetuating crap info and are no better then the console fanboys we claim to be against. 

They don't ALL do 1080p @ 60fps. On PC we can chose how we want our games to run. So yes, they're still shit.

Not to mention:

Lack of anything above 1080p

Lack of anything above 60hz

Unlimited cost due to having to pay to play online (ontop of your ISP payment)

More expensive games

Lack of backwards compatibility

Lack of upgradability

Lack of versatility

Worse warranties (EVGA for instance replaces GPU's with newer ones, instead of just getting the same GPU back), granted that's subjective.

Overall, a worse experience.

hopefully that will change with opengl next... That's the plan anyway

Honestly the industry won't change until people buying consoles stop being conforming. Instead of being all "well I can't play 1080p 60fps but look at all these exclusives you don't have" if they stopped buying until they could get both then console makers would either have to deliver or go bankrupt, it's that simple.

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |

steamOS is Linux. It will not have all the windows steam games. Valve has so far been very successful in convincing devs to port to Linux. So the situation has got better and will continue to get better over the years. But No You cannot play all your games. Not even close. Most devs won't bother porting. What will happen though is more and more new games will Come with Linux support.

Fair enough, still, good news. And since it's Linux based, I wouldn't be surprised if you saw some 3rd parties making ports for the games that the devs dont make ports for (not sure if that's possible or legal though)

Actually Destiny which you also promoted runs at 30 fps. Could you sell MS OS's and console crap somewhere else? I know MS is really desperate to push this @$^# box on us, but we aren't buying it. If Activision wants to sell us Destiny they can put it on PC. I am not going to pay 400-500 bucks, pay a monthly fee, all so I can play Borderlands 3 at 30 FPS with a controller...

Also IGN? Try Eurogamer. At least they show the DIPS. Xbox One couldn't even maintain a perfect 30 on freakin Tomb Raider and the IGNorant site you listed has it at 1080p 60 fps on the PS4. The PS4 was nowhere close to a locked 60 on Tomb Raider. The GPU is what it is on the XB1. An AMD 7770 in TFLOPS. There is no secret sauce or magic that MS can use to make it be better than that. All a low level API does is help that POS 1.7ghz AMD Mobile cpu out. 

Sell BS somewhere else MS.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-tomb-raider-definitive-performance-analysis

Gameplay Analysis Xbox One PlayStation 4
Lowest Frame-Rate 24fps 33fps
Highest Frame-Rate 30fps 60fps
Average Frame-Rate 29.84fps 50.98fps

LOL at Victoria's Secret of accusing people of misinformation when he just posted MISINFORMATION. 24 FPS lows.

That also throws a wrench into the "back compat" argument. You kinda need Windows to make that catalogue even exist, developers aren't going to go back and redo their games for Linux just cause SteamOS promised sunshine and rainbows. They are still businesses. Dollars and cents still apply to PC development, and I'd wager my hilarious salary that all this hubbub will amount to a wonderful pile of nothing for the next few years. 

IF people want mass Linux support, you better figure out how to get Windows to actually just die entirely. Linux isn't bigger than OSXs market share for crying out loud, and OSX isn't getting the most gaming love even these days. 

Actually Destiny which you also promoted runs at 30 fps. Could you sell MS OS's and console crap somewhere else? I know MS is really desperate to push this @$^# box on us, but we aren't buying it. If Activision want to sell us Destiny they can put it on PC. I am not going to pay 400-500 bucks, pay a monthly fee, all so I can play Borderlands 3 at 30 FPS with a controller...

Also IGN? Try Eurogamer. At least they show the DIPS. Xbox One couldn't even maintain a perfect 30 on freakin Tomb Raider and that was not 1080p and the IGNorant site you listed has it at 1080p 60 fps on the PS4. The PS4 was nowhere close to a locked 60 on Tomb Raider. The GPU is what it is on the XB1. An AMD 7770 in TFLOPS. There is no secret sauce or magic that MS can use to make it be better than that. All a low level API does is help that POS 1.7ghz AMD Mobile cpu out. 

Sell BS somewhere else MS.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-tomb-raider-definitive-performance-analysis

Gameplay Analysis Xbox One PlayStation 4
Lowest Frame-Rate 24fps 33fps
Highest Frame-Rate 30fps 60fps
Average Frame-Rate 29.84fps 50.98fps

LOL at Victoria's Secret of accusing people of misinformation when he just posted MISINFORMATION.

I didn't promote anything? What the hell are you on about? Still trotting out your "astroturfed" theories are we?

Did I say Destiny does 1080p 60fps? No. I gave a list of games, some of which do 1080p30, some 1080p60, some neither. What the hell are you even on about? You really are reaching at straws these days to get likes, aren't you? 

Am I not allowed to say "yes, I like this game, numbers be damned?"

You are the cancerous root of this community lately, with your posts amounting to nothing more than conspiracy theory level diatribes. 

And the name is Victorious Secret, making my name feminine isn't much of an insult and it just proves how pathetic your critical reasoning skills are. 

That also throws a wrench into the "back compat" argument. You kinda need Windows to make that catalogue even exist, developers aren't going to go back and redo their games for Linux just cause SteamOS promised sunshine and rainbows. They are still businesses. Dollars and cents still apply to PC development, and I'd wager my hilarious salary that all this hubbub will amount to a wonderful pile of nothing for the next few years. 

IF people want mass Linux support, you better figure out how to get Windows to actually just die entirely. Linux isn't bigger than OSXs market share for crying out loud, and OSX isn't getting the most gaming love even these days. 

You realize most of the internet is run on Linux right?

Please, just go. Very few people here willing to buy your pro console bullshit. I've already shown you a $400 PC that beats ps4, we've all already seen a video where slick fails to get a graphics card that was top of the line 5 YEARS AGO, to run as poorly as a console does.

Console = fail, end of story. Unless your that worried about it having to be in a tiny, overheated, ugly looking box.

You realize most of the internet is run on Linux right?

Please, just go. Very few people here willing to buy your pro console bullshit. I've already shown you a $400 PC that beats ps4, we've all already seen a video where slick fails to get a graphics card that was top of the line 5 YEARS AGO, to run as poorly as a console does.

Yes, the best way to win a debate is to tell the other person to leave. Bravo on that logic. 

What does most of the internet being run on Linux have to do with GAMING support? Linux servers run by sys admins aren't going to be gaming. So what relevance does that have?