Forbes: PS4 and Xbox One are already out of date

Ashley

That's because console manufacturers make back their money on a variety of fronts. Example, compare prices of console games to PC, to have your game be on a console you have to pay a fee, 1.

Also, controllers are hell expensive, cost me $40 for a wired 360 controller, wired! This thing came out ages ago, in the past week I've bought about 15 games for that same price.

There's also extra services on the consoles that you'll have to pay if you want the full experience.

However, a computer is more than just a gaming console. I think that's what people really need to start paying attention, because you're never going to get a PC that is the same price as a console that performs as well, because a PC is naturally capable of a lot more than gaming, so really, when you factor in just how much use you can get out of it, how much more mileage it'll get you, it's a much better purchase in the long run.

Also, nothing is stopping you from getting an old GPU now that can play modern games at medium settings and then upgrading it later when you have more dosh, because that's a brilliant aspect of PC, you can UPGRADE. And no, I don't mean go out and fork out another $500 on the next series of consoles, just get a new part and boom, increase.

And these days, where to get a moderate grasp on the gaming availability spectrum, you'll be buying more than one console, for sure. Especially when you get bullshit like platform exclusive DLC and shit, absolute crap and whoever keeps pushing this shit out are cunts.

The only thing the PC gaming scene has been lacking in really has been interfacing, sure it's been mitigated somewhat by Steam, but people want an easier experience, they want to hit a button, put in their game and boom, other than the fact you have to install your games instead of run them off a disc, Steam Big Picture mode pretty much takes care of that, and any other improvements would be made for sure if more people requested the service. It's a demand here, console experience has been made easier and easier over the years because a lot of people use it, if there were only a couple thousand, do you really think the devs would go to an effort to make it more user friendly? They'd be like, "nah, it's not worth the effort". If all console players moved to PC, by the time this year is out we'll have made so much progress already in making the PC gaming experience as smooth and intuitive if not more so than the consoles.

All the consoles are is a choke-hold on the industry, nothing more, nothing less.

I understand very well what a PC does, so I will not disagree with you there. The issue I have is that you can get a supposedly better gaming (emphasis here on "gaming") experience right off the bat with the same level of initial investment. You said for yourself; a key advantage the PC has over consoles is upgradability. So if you skimp on the component costs early, you have to pay more in the long run, respective to your target goal. Consoles work this way as well, with the costs of items and services adding up to a pretty lofty bill. That represents a different business model that is suited for people that cannot pay over a certain amount of money at a time. For example, cellular contracts and mortgages exist since people would rather pay in monthly installments, than pay a large lump sum on the first day.

In the grand scheme of things, the PC is much more powerful than the consoles, and provide a much better value in the long term. However, like most things, you have to pay some extra upfront in order to get the better experience.

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

I remember years ago being super excited about the xbox 360, finally getting one and then having it red ring on me after a few months of use. my dad, upon seeing my sorrow and disappointment offered to buy me everything I needed to build a gaming pc, he would even teach me how to build it and help out.(he had been pc gaming for years, you see) I was skeptical at first, I was laboring under the notion that pc gaming was for losers who had way too much time on their hands, but I wanted to game and I was upset over the 360s failure so i decided to give it a shot. It wasn't even as if I was paying for it, so i had nothing to lose.

Long story short, I fell in love with pc gaming. It really is a thing of beauty. I have never been let down by a pc, and I will never own another piece of shit console ever again. 

I also must say I am rather surprised to see people on LTT defending consoles, sort of weird to see.

Conceal your intentions

im still buying a xbone.

My profile pic is the game i'm currently playing. I hope i remember to change it..

"But I’m confident that within as little as 12 months most of you will agree that their inability to deliver games at a ‘4K’ or Ultra High Definition (UHD) resolution of 3840×2160 pixels – or something close to it, at least – will make both the supposedly ‘next generation’ consoles feel like yesterday’s news."

ARE YOU KIDDING ME? I love a good circle-jerk but this ABSURD.

I spent almost $1800 on my PC, and not even I can run 4K: but you're expecting a $400 console to do it? There is no single GPU on the market that can push 4K at 60 FPS, and the fastest is $699, alone.

•  i7 4770k @ 4.5ghz • Noctua NHL12 •  Asrock Z87 Extreme 4 •  ASUS GTX 780 DCII 1156/6300 •

•  Kingston HyperX 16GB  •  Samsung 840 SSD 120GB [boot] + 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM •

•  Fractal Design Define R4  •  Corsair AX860 80+ Platinum •  Logitech Wireless Y-RK49  •  Logitech X-530  •

I spent almost $1800 on my PC, and not even I can run 4K: but you're expecting a $400 console to do it? There is no single GPU on the market that can push 4K at 60 FPS, and the fastest is $699, alone.

Mm, I'm always up for a good console lynch mob but we need to at least pick the right things to stand behind, seems like we're just picking every single negative thing and slapping it with our sad little cocks.

Ok...First the TressFX version that the consoles got was actually the upgraded version. More refined and less buggy...

http://steamcommunity.com/app/203160/discussions/0/540732596518166331/?insideModal=1

http://www.hardwareluxx.de/images/stories/newsbilder/aschilling/2013/apu14-tressfx-7.jpg

http://www.redgamingtech.com/amd-tressfx-2-0-capable-of-doing-much-more-than-hair/

Not sure where you got that the consoles got "dumbed way down compared to the PC version".

The OCing stuff, not fully sure why you brought that up, as the vast majority probably wouldn't overclock their systems/GPU beyond what factory settings might come. The GTX 260/216c was stock at 576mhz, with factory over clocks in the 650 region. Doubt that bump up or even to the 700s like you said would be enough to double+ the TFLOPs performance the 260 (.874) would need to reach the PS4 (1.84). That's with out even taking into consideration of other aspects that affect GPU performance like memory clock/bandwidth, pixel/texture fill rates and PCI-e speeds or the equivalent connection in which ever console.  

Really not sure what your trying to get at with the rest of the post. It really just seems to be blind hatred towards consoles in general and you throw any kind of statistic or piece of data that you think helps your idea.

My whole point is that the PS4 isnt actually as crap as the upper tier of PC users think it actually is. That the hardware is at least around the average or perhaps a bit over what the average game setup is. And not just average for people on forums like this but the mass market in general, such as looking at the Steam hardware survey or when you start looking at the actual breakdowns of GPU sales from high/mid and low.

A 1.6 ghz 8 core AMD Mobile CPU with a AMD 7790 in TFLOPS IS crap to middle tier PC users, let alone "upper tier" PC users.

The "optimization" argument will end as soon as low level API's are standard on the PC which isn't far away and that has to do with CPU and not GPU. You are arguing that a x86 PC that is taking forever to even get Planetside 2 to run (even with perfect optimization) is a good pc and buy at 400 dollars, when people have bought 4 ghz AMD 8 cores for 99 bucks and a 7870 which is in the mid 2 TFLOPS for 120 last Black Friday.

In addition you fail to add a monthly fee into the cost for the life of the console to play online and the VAST amount of money you will save on the PC on the same games. There is no way you can argue this. As I said before you can make the case that Uncharted is worth 500 bucks, or that Halo is worth 500 bucks. Good luck convincing people of that. The hardware is garbage and will be even bigger garbage when low level API's are on the PC. 2008 Nehalem will blow these things away.

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

considering the most played pc games are world of warcraft , league of legends and the sims 3 , this entire thread is hilarious.  according to steam itsself , most people are playing on laptops much worse than an xbox one.

considering the most played pc games are world of warcraft , league of legends and the sims 3 , this entire thread is hilarious.  according to steam itsself , most people are playing on laptops much worse than an xbox one.

I used to  (and still game on) a laptop that has a 9400m. Numbers aren't everything. I have a Titan (not actually using titans) next to my desk. I don't game on it all the time. Shit, 99% of the time its sitting there batch converting RAW files or whatever I need it for. Gaming? Meh. People get really, really obsessed with specs these days. 

Shh, don't interrupt the circle jerk here. Using 4K as a plus for a PC gamer is hilarious at best. A majority of this forum doesn't even have the money for the MONITORS required to power proper 4K gaming (read: above 60Hz and not sucky at colour) much less the multiple GPUs required to drive the 60fps+ experience. 

I used to  (and still game on) a laptop that has a 9400m. Numbers aren't everything. I have a Titan (not actually using titans) next to my desk. I don't game on it all the time. Shit, 99% of the time its sitting there batch converting RAW files or whatever I need it for. Gaming? Meh. People get really, really obsessed with specs these days. 

Shh, don't interrupt the circle jerk here. Using 4K as a plus for a PC gamer is hilarious at best. A majority of this forum doesn't even have the money for the MONITORS required to power proper 4K gaming (read: above 60Hz and not sucky at colour) much less the multiple GPUs required to drive the 60fps+ experience. 

back in the day when pc ment you could enjoy games like doom , duke nukem , and later quake and unreal tournament , that was a hugh deal , these days its just some better grafics , the gameplays still the same. only when a console is holding back game design is when it becomes a real problem , crysis 3 at 4K at ultra or 720P on medium is still the same game. 

back in the day when pc ment you could enjoy games like doom , duke nukem , and later quake and unreal tournament , that was a hugh deal , these days its just some better grafics , the gameplays still the same. only when a console is holding back game design is when it becomes a real problem , crysis 3 at 4K at ultra or 720P on medium is still the same game. 

7b1b36600a9788f48098c5051ec882937cac3d92

To anybody reading this: What is the reason that you are playing video games? Do you play it because it is fun, or do you play it because it looks technically advanced on paper?

And you wonder why 1080P 60FPS "is just a number" when low-res games like Nidhogg is selling like hotcakes.

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

I surprised more people in this thread weren't more critical of his reasoning of why they are out of date. He made these claims based on their lack of 4K support.

If you look at the Steam hardware survey. Only 0.02% of those are using a 4K monitor. The widespread adoption and utilisation of 4K monitors is still (imo) at least 2-3 years away. For the vast majority of people it will take even longer than that.

The reason the "next gen" consoles are out of date is because they can barely handle 1080p, not because they can't handle 4K.

A 1.6 ghz 8 core AMD Mobile CPU with a AMD 7790 in TFLOPS IS crap to middle tier PC users, let alone "upper tier" PC users.

The "optimization" argument will end as soon as low level API's are standard on the PC which isn't far away and that has to do with CPU and not GPU. You are arguing that a x86 PC that is taking forever to even get Planetside 2 to run (even with perfect optimization) is a good pc and buy at 400 dollars, when people have bought 4 ghz AMD 8 cores for 99 bucks and a 7870 which is in the mid 2 TFLOPS for 120 last Black Friday.

In addition you fail to add a monthly fee into the cost for the life of the console to play online and the VAST amount of money you will save on the PC on the same games. There is no way you can argue this. As I said before you can make the case that Uncharted is worth 500 bucks, or that Halo is worth 500 bucks. Good luck convincing people of that. The hardware is garbage and will be even bigger garbage when low level API's are on the PC. 2008 Nehalem will blow these things away.

Ok fine, again refuse to engage on the points I actually make.

But seeing as you brought the TFLOPS back up and comparing a 7790 as being crap to middle tier PCs, again I'll link back to my first comment that started all this, that going by TFLOPS even a 7790 is more powerful than a GTX 580. And then seeing as a GTX 580 isn't actually considered to be that bad of a GPU, the GPU in the PS4 isnt that bad either.

But again I look forward to a response that has little to do with points I actually make :P

I remember years ago being super excited about the xbox 360, finally getting one and then having it red ring on me after a few months of use. my dad, upon seeing my sorrow and disappointment offered to buy me everything I needed to build a gaming pc, he would even teach me how to build it and help out.(he had been pc gaming for years, you see) I was skeptical at first, I was laboring under the notion that pc gaming was for losers who had way too much time on their hands, but I wanted to game and I was upset over the 360s failure so i decided to give it a shot. It wasn't even as if I was paying for it, so i had nothing to lose.

Long story short, I fell in love with pc gaming. It really is a thing of beauty. I have never been let down by a pc, and I will never own another piece of shit console ever again. 

I also must say I am rather surprised to see people on LTT defending consoles, sort of weird to see.

^Pretty awesome.

However its not about bashing consoles. It's about what works for YOU and how you want it to work.

I have a beast PC, but I'm not gunna lug the heavy thing into my lounge for a few games each night in couch comfort.

I could build another PC for the lounge, but half of my mates are PC and the other half are Console users, so I have both, I also am not a big fan of consoles internals, but they DO have their USES when not everyone shares/is a part of the PC ecosystem, and bashing console users for their choice is stupid.

You don't always know the specifics of console users needs,.... of their mates maybe not having PC's, couch comfort and whatnot so leave their choices alone or ASK THEM WHY first before bashing their choice.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

this forbes article is a year too late late, anyone with an ounce of sense knew that Xbox One and PS4 were already obsolete once the specs were leaked. Forbes, go back to financial reporting and leave this to the pros

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

Weren't they out of date when they came out?

Help me I'm surrounded by morons.

^Pretty awesome.

However its not about bashing consoles. It's about what works for YOU and how you want it to work.

I have a beast PC, but I'm not gunna lug the heavy thing into my lounge for a few games each night in couch comfort.

I could build another PC for the lounge, but half of my mates are PC and the other half are Console users, so I have both, I also am not a big fan of consoles internals, but they DO have their USES when not everyone shares/is a part of the PC ecosystem, and bashing console users for their choice is stupid.

You don't always know the specifics of console users needs,.... of their mates maybe not having PC's, couch comfort and whatnot so leave their choices alone or ASK THEM WHY first before bashing their choice.

Exactly this. I was tempted to get a PS4, considering most of my friends have one. Destiny would have been fin. In the end I decided that I would have more fun getting a PC, and now I'm just waiting to see what will come out this year.

There's plenty of reasons why someone would get a console, from couch gaming, to form factor, to local multiplayer. Like it or not, initial cost is also a massive factor.

Over here in the UK a PS4 with Destiny and a controller can be had for £350, while a decent gaming PC would cost £400 to £500, depending how many corners you want to cut in the way of performance.

Tea, Metal, and poorly written code.

People are acting surprised 

This is what happens when you launch with

Old hardware that cant even push 1080p over 30fps

IntelCorei54670k,Maximus VI Formula,Swift tech H220, 16gigs Corsair Dominator platinums, Asus DCUII GTX 780,1x256 840 evo, 1x 2TB Segate barracuda, Corsair AX 860, 

3 X Noctua NF-F12, 2x Noctua NF A-14, Ducky Shine 3 Blue Leds Blue switches, Razer Death Adder 2012, Corsair vengence 1400