AMD say the reports of 29% IPC improvement in Zen 2 are being overstated by the press

Master Disaster

Yeah, in a somewhat unusual, though very honest move AMD are downplaying the recent reports of 29% IPC improvement on Zen 2 compared to Zen 1 by saying the 29% figure only applies to a specific workload and is not across the board.

AMD has issued a statement to address media reports that its upcoming Zen 2 microarchitecture could offer a 29 percent performance uplift over previous-generation Zen parts, clarifying that the figure quoted by the media is related to a very specific workload only and should not be taken as a general improvement in instructions per clock (IPC).

Here's the full statement

'As we demonstrated at our Next Horizon event last week, our next-generation AMD Epyc server processor based on the new "Zen 2" core delivers significant performance improvements as a result of both architectural advances and 7nm process technology,'

'Some news media interpreted a "Zen 2" comment in the press release footnotes to be a specific IPC uplift claim.'

'The data in the footnote represented the performance improvement in a microbenchmark for a specific financial services workload which benefits from both integer and floating point performance improvements and is not intended to quantify the IPC increase a user should expect to see across a wide range of applications,' 

'We will provide additional details on "Zen 2" IPC improvements, and more importantly how the combination of our next-generation architecture and advanced 7nm process technology deliver more performance per socket, when the products launch.'

https://bit-tech.net/news/tech/cpus/amd-downplays-29-percent-zen-2-ipc-boost-reports/1/

Very interesting they'd come out with that so candidly, I wonder if the whole Intel faking benchmarks story from a few weeks back has everyone still a little anxious.

Either way it's refreshing to see honesty from a company for a change so well done AMD.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 hour ago, Master Disaster said:

Very interesting they'd come out with that so candidly, I wonder if the whole Intel faking benchmarks story from a few weeks back has everyone still a little anxious.

Or there is someone with a bit of sense and intelligence who is aware that when you're already liked and well received the biggest threat is yourself and too higher expectations. If only RTG could take a page out of this book. 

Amazing.  I think we all know the reputation AMD products have (through no fault of the company) for being tremendously over-hyped, but I think this has to be a new record lol.  You know it's out of control when the rumours are so insane that the company has to publicly and official dispel them just to try and get people to stop and actually think for a second before going back to their normal behaviour of flying completely off the handle with ridiculous and unrealistic expectations.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 hour ago, Master Disaster said:

I wonder if the whole Intel faking benchmarks story from a few weeks back has everyone still a little anxious.

I'd like to believe that the several consecutive examples of blowback from both external over-hyping(polaris) and their own straight up bullshitting(bulldozer), have made it clear that BS is not even remotely what people want to hear and will attach sour realizations to them for a long time.  So nipping things in the bud is not just honest, but smart.

How many people went completely crazy with polaris expectations like; "1080 perf fer onlyz 200 hundrez ermahgerd" to only be offered a great deal in the 470/480 but without the second coming of Christ it felt like a betrayal.  BS is only good for cons, not sales in the long-term.

Well, thats what I'd like to believe anyways.

1 hour ago, manikyath said:

AMD is pulling the "good guy smaller company" card super hard. not that that's inherently a bad thing, its just a statement that that's what they're doing.

The actual footnotes note that it's in a specific workload. It's just that the media jumped straight on the hype train. That being said, it appears the rumors from mid-October are going to be more or less correct and we'll see a 12-13% average uplift in IPC, so a bit under 10% or so over Zen+.

Just now, ravenshrike said:

The actual footnotes note that it's in a specific workload. It's just that the media jumped straight on the hype train. That being said, it appears the rumors from mid-October are going to be more or less correct and we'll see a 12-13% average uplift in IPC, so a bit under 10% or so over Zen+.

and your statement in relation to my post is?

3 minutes ago, manikyath said:

and your statement in relation to my post is?

They're not playing the good guy smaller company, they're doing it explicitly to avoid bad publicity from Intel further down the line. No company that's not filled with morons would let blatantly bullshit statistics be tossed around by every major news outlet concerned with the areas they operate in.

1 minute ago, ravenshrike said:

They're not playing the good guy smaller company, they're doing it explicitly to avoid bad publicity from Intel further down the line. No company that's not filled with morons would let blatantly bullshit statistics be tossed around by every major news outlet concerned with the areas they operate in.

except that that's exactly why they're nuancing the results. if they werent good guy small company they'd pull the "new cpu's are 30% faster in this exact workload" card, like intel likes to do. (and nvidia for that matter)

If you underhype and overdeliver, a product will be better received. Reverse psychology marketing 101.

It's just AMD have been doing the opposite for quite some time, overhype and underdeliver. Vega anyone?

30 minutes ago, asus killer said:

seemed to good to be true and it was

If you follow the headlines, yeah. 

But some were actually quite clean and stated "in certain workloads" right on the headline 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

"Sorry guys,... you remember those marketing slides we put up earlier? Yeah, we may have cherry picked a little hard there. But we also did not expect you guys to fall for it THAT hard. So, you know... just wanting to let you know: Don't get your hopes up, we just wanted to make it look good, but it actually will not end up being like that!"

Not sure what to make out of that tbh. 

If media trusting their own slides needs a statement to set things straight. Why put up misleading slides like that in the first place?

2 minutes ago, Tech Enthusiast said:

"Sorry guys,... you remember those marketing slides we put up earlier? Yeah, we may have cherry picked a little hard there. But we also did not expect you guys to fall for it THAT hard. So, you know... just wanting to let you know: Don't get your hopes up, we just wanted to make it look good, but it actually will not end up being like that!"

If media trusting their own slides needs a statement to set things straight. Why put up misleading slides like that in the first place?

Wasn't even a full slide but a footnote to it.

However, with AVX2 "units", 29% uplift would be about what we'd expect. That's roughly Intel's actual advantage over AMD in those workloads in the current hardware.

im expecting about a 15-20% improvement just like apple did with the A12

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

3 hours ago, manikyath said:

AMD is pulling the "good guy smaller company" card super hard. not that that's inherently a bad thing, its just a statement that that's what they're doing.

Yeah I don't get why companies do the right thing its obviously just to make us happy....     /s

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

3 hours ago, cj09beira said:

its simple its too soon for hyping, they still want to sell zen + chips. 

Or it could be to avoid a potential let down if the real number is closer to 5%. 

1 hour ago, Tech Enthusiast said:

Showing off the improvements in AVX2 workloads is actually incredibly important so that is why they showed it. It's one of the primary weaknesses for Zen and was the one area where Intel handedly beat AMD. It's really isn't their fault that people took that improvement as indicative of the general improvement we would see. 

1 hour ago, Brooksie359 said:

Showing off the improvements in AVX2 workloads is actually incredibly important so that is why they showed it. It's one of the primary weaknesses for Zen and was the one area where Intel handedly beat AMD. It's really isn't their fault that people took that improvement as indicative of the general improvement we would see. 

Yeah... while AVX workloads aren't common, in workloads were AVX instructions can be used the performance increases are massive for X series CPUs

102809.png

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

21 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Yeah... while AVX workloads aren't common, in workloads were AVX instructions can be used the performance increases are massive for X series CPUs

102809.png

Also in case it isnt obvious to anyone, AVX is a straight speed up in these workloads. It isn't like "gameworks" or whatever, it is just that much better of an instruction set if the CPU and program can take advantage of it.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

From what I've heard AMD has been touting improved "density" of their 7nm process that is leading to even higher core counts. I'm not sure if it'd be too niche, but do you think they'd do a 6 core APU with this increased density? I'm at the point where Quad cores are too boring for a PC multitasker like me, but my gaming requirements are extremely light.

8 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I think we all know the reputation AMD products have (through no fault of the company) for being tremendously over-hyped,

The best marketing is the marketing you are not aware of.   I personally believe AMD is/was behind most of the hype.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 hour ago, mr moose said:

The best marketing is the marketing you are not aware of.   I personally believe AMD is/was behind most of the hype.

If they were, and continue to do so, they are foolish.  Over-promise and under-deliver is not a strategy for success.  I'm pretty sure it's rabid fanboys who drum up most of it, or even tbh, if you're feeling tinfoil hatty, it could be a competitor out to hurt them.  That's not to say they don't make an effort to hype their own stuff.  Obviously they do, and they should; you need enthusiasm for your product.  That's not what I'm talking about though.  I'm talking about the over-the-top unrealistic hype that ruins launches and causes people to be genuinely disappointed with a product at release despite the fact that it's perfectly respectable and even impressive and would have been seen as such if people hadn't whipped themselves into a frenzy of expecting even more.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.