The iPhone XR isn't actually selling as well as we thought...

Djole123
3 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

My 250 dollar smart phone has a 1080p screen. For 750 dollars not having at least a 1080p screen if absolutely ridiculous. 

Oh my god. It's just an arbitrary number. The Xr has a ppi of 324 which is more than enough for your eyes to not distinguish pixels from normal viewing distance. Resolution doesn't say anything about the display quality. The iPhone Xr has probably the best LCD on a mobile phone and it's vastly superior in terms of colour accuracy, legibility, contrast, etc compared to your $200 phone. Don't believe me, check it out yourself

2 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

I just think that for a year old phone they could certainly offer a better discount.

$549 for the 8 and $649 for the 8 Plus still feels overpriced for a year old phone.

Then again, they are primarily selling new units and not refurb or used.

But that one year old flagship phone is still competitive in its price range. The 845 is pretty much comparable to A11 chip and the camera is still really good. All manufacturers, re-release their mid range phones which was probably the flagship performance spec wise yesteryear. Apple doesn't do that. SO other than a different release date, you're comparing the same phone. And the release date doesn't matter, because In Apple's case they provide you an extremely long support, 3x better than midrange androids and atleast 2x better than android flagships

13 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

Oh my god. It's just an arbitrary number. The Xr has a ppi of 324 which is more than enough for your eyes to not distinguish pixels from normal viewing distance. Resolution doesn't say anything about the display quality. The iPhone Xr has probably the best LCD on a mobile phone and it's vastly superior in terms of colour accuracy, legibility, contrast, etc compared to your $200 phone. Don't believe me, check it out yourself

But that one year old flagship phone is still competitive in its price range. The 845 is pretty much comparable to A11 chip and the camera is still really good. All manufacturers, re-release their mid range phones which was probably the flagship performance spec wise yesteryear. Apple doesn't do that. SO other than a different release date, you're comparing the same phone. And the release date doesn't matter, because In Apple's case they provide you an extremely long support, 3x better than midrange androids and atleast 2x better than android flagships

I was able to see the difference between the 2 phone screens in the video and I can say for certain I preferred the display on the left which was the $300 pocophone ?.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

10 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

Yeah your kidding yourself. The phone is trash at 750 price tag. If they can't put at least a 1080p screen on a 750 dollar phone then they are clearly just milking people like you who will buy it anyways. 750 dollars is basically what their flagship phones cost just a couple if years ago and many flagship phones cost around the same or less. For 750 dollars not having a 1080p screen or higher res is just a slap in the face. 

Please be skeptical of Nikkei's claims about the reduced iPhone XR production.

As it turns out, Nikkei has been wildly inaccurate before.  It was convinced iPhone X production was tanking and that Apple was doooooomed.  But hey, it turned out that iPhone X production was just fine, thank you, and that the device remained the top-selling iPhone throughout much (if not all) of its lifecycle.

We'll have to see the numbers, of course, but don't be surprised if the iPhone XR is actually selling well.

15 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

I like Jon's videos but that one was stupid. 

"Hey lets take a 1080p and 720p screen and put them next to each other and have people try to tell the different from 3 fucking feet away" I mean people wouldnt be able to tell the difference at that difference from a 640p panel to a 2k panel. 

Hold the phone at normal reading distance and you can tell the difference quite quickly. 

39 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

All high end android phones these days come at almost $800-$1000 range

Nope, not at all.  All high end android phones these days come at almost 300-1200 range.

I never even knew they brought out a XR, has it been out for a while or am i just living under a rock? I really haven't seen anything about it anywhere

My Rig - Intel I7-5820k@ 4ghz| Rampage V Extreme| 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4|RTX 2060 SUPER| Corsair 650D| Corsair HX750| 2TB Samsung 850 EVO| H100i| 3x SF-120's| 1x 240 cooler master Red LED Front intake

Everything I say defaults to include /s

8 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

I was able to see the difference between the 2 phone screens in the video and I can say for certain I preferred the display on the left which was the $300 pocophone ?.

Yeah even through a Youtube video the $300 pocophone was more clear playing those videos, holding it at a normal distance you'd hold a phone and it would be obviously better.

6 minutes ago, Settlerteo said:

Nope, not at all.  All high end android phones these days come at almost 300-1200 range.

"High End" is $500-1000

Mid range is $200-500

Budget is $40-200

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

10 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

"High End" is $500-1000

Mid range is $200-500

Budget is $40-200

You confuse high end with price. And depending on the brand you can find high end(hardware side) phones for less than 500$. 

12 minutes ago, RuffRuffmcgruff said:

I never even knew they brought out a XR, has it been out for a while or am i just living under a rock? I really haven't seen anything about it anywhere

It's all over the place!  It only launched in late October (reportedly a production snag that led to a late start), but Apple's advertising the daylights out of it now.

Come to think of it, Nikkei's claims are a bit odd when the phone isn't even two weeks old.  Why would you make dramatic production changes based on roughly 10 days of sales?  The iPhone XR in particular -- it's supposed to be the mainstream device that generates steady sales rather than a short-term surge from people who need to have the best model at all costs.

7 hours ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Was the XR supposed to be the value option? Because the 7 still exists and well, even that's not cheap enough to be considered value. At least not in Canada it isn't. 

I believe it's supposed to be the 8/8 plus replacement. So if you consider that "value" with all the $999 phones then you could count it as value.

27 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

"Hey lets take a 1080p and 720p screen and put them next to each other and have people try to tell the different from 3 fucking feet away" I mean people wouldnt be able to tell the difference at that difference from a 640p panel to a 2k panel. 

Hold the phone at normal reading distance and you can tell the difference quite quickly. 

Also to add, the pocophone he compared to is half the price. The screen is going to be worse in other aspects (e.g. color accuracy, black levels, brightness, etc.)

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

I went to look at them, at the Apple store and the screen on the xr, is just as good as the xs and xs max. I can't tell the the difference, the xs and xs max is running at a higher resolution, compared to the xr. 

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

7 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

Hopefully people stop buying the 750-1000 smartphones so that we can keep their prices low and competitive.

Or if they do that they wait a good 3-4 generations before even thinking about getting a new phone. 

1 hour ago, AluminiumTech said:

$549 for the 8 and $649 for the 8 Plus still feels overpriced for a year old phone.

I honestly don’t know how you could believe that. Those prices are perfectly justifiable. 

iPhone 8 Plus started at like $800 and is now $700. Same pricing model as always. The last gen gets $100 cheaper. iPhone 7 is the best value, iPhone 8 gives the best features per dollar, XR brings FaceID and the A12 down to more people, and Xs is the top of the line. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

1 hour ago, mynameisjuan said:

I guess you didn’t see the people who literally stuck their faces inches from both displays. Jon totally didn’t rebuttal that argument in his video either ?

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

52 minutes ago, Commodus said:

It's all over the place!  It only launched in late October (reportedly a production snag that led to a late start), but Apple's advertising the daylights out of it now.

Come to think of it, Nikkei's claims are a bit odd when the phone isn't even two weeks old.  Why would you make dramatic production changes based on roughly 10 days of sales?  The iPhone XR in particular -- it's supposed to be the mainstream device that generates steady sales rather than a short-term surge from people who need to have the best model at all costs.

Looks good i guess, not too sure on the bezel surrounding the display but that's just me.

You make a good point though, 10 days of sales is no indicator of peformance at all.

My Rig - Intel I7-5820k@ 4ghz| Rampage V Extreme| 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4|RTX 2060 SUPER| Corsair 650D| Corsair HX750| 2TB Samsung 850 EVO| H100i| 3x SF-120's| 1x 240 cooler master Red LED Front intake

Everything I say defaults to include /s

My take is this: personally, I use pretty low resolution and PPI displays compared to everyone else, and I personally can tell the difference between my iPhone 8 Display and a Galaxy S9. Now, if the phone was 600 USD or cheaper, I could excuse the low res screen. But that is the main issue of this phone, its price. Truth be told I really like the phone. But in a world of Pocophones, One Plus and 650 USD Galaxy S9s, there is no way for this to compete in the market. If someone wants a "budget" iPhone, the iPhone 8 or 7 offers basically the same experience but without the notch or a learning curve for those upgrading.

Who needs fancy graphics and high resolutions when you can get a 60 FPS frame rate on iGPUs?

I was hoping Anandtech to review the iPhone XR, so far they haven't yet. All of these blogging reviews are stupid. They all just repeat one another.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

2 hours ago, Settlerteo said:

You confuse high end with price. And depending on the brand you can find high end(hardware side) phones for less than 500$. 

Especially if you like the Chinese government looking over your shoulder.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 hour ago, RuffRuffmcgruff said:

Looks good i guess, not too sure on the bezel surrounding the display but that's just me.

You make a good point though, 10 days of sales is no indicator of peformance at all.

Having seen it in person, the bezel is thicker than on the XS but definitely not a dealbreaker.

35 minutes ago, DrDerp said:

My take is this: personally, I use pretty low resolution and PPI displays compared to everyone else, and I personally can tell the difference between my iPhone 8 Display and a Galaxy S9. Now, if the phone was 600 USD or cheaper, I could excuse the low res screen. But that is the main issue of this phone, its price. Truth be told I really like the phone. But in a world of Pocophones, One Plus and 650 USD Galaxy S9s, there is no way for this to compete in the market. If someone wants a "budget" iPhone, the iPhone 8 or 7 offers basically the same experience but without the notch or a learning curve for those upgrading.

There's plenty of ways for it to compete.  It's faster than all of those devices, with a bigger screen; it should take overall better photos; it has noticeably better battery life and audio; and yes, it comes in a wider variety of colors.  I wouldn't want to give all of that up just to say I had a 1080p or 1440p screen.

15 minutes ago, Commodus said:

There's plenty of ways for it to compete.  It's faster than all of those devices, with a bigger screen; it should take overall better photos; it has noticeably better battery life and audio; and yes, it comes in a wider variety of colors.  I wouldn't want to give all of that up just to say I had a 1080p or 1440p screen.

It’s marginally faster than them in real world use. I will admit battery life is the biggest selling point of it, as I run my iPhone 8 down to 15% by 7:30 almost every day.

Who needs fancy graphics and high resolutions when you can get a 60 FPS frame rate on iGPUs?

3 hours ago, RedRound2 said:

All high end android phones these days come at almost $800-$1000 range (which tob Apple started). So for $749 the Xr is relatively a good value when you're pretty much getting basically the same experience as the $1000 Xs

They're too expensive as well if you ask me. Either way the galaxy s9 is currently sitting at 690$ on amazon, 60$ cheaper than the Xr - still too much by my standards, but definitely not 1000$.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*