The iPhone XR isn't actually selling as well as we thought...

Djole123

Yikes.

So, although Apple stopped sharing the per unit sales numbers, Nikkei received news that iPhone XR suppliers should ramp down or completely halt the production of its components.

Apple-iPhone-XR-review-1024-768.jpg.b22b66b926b0b0d91afa6ec5ad37fe7d.jpg

According to Nikkei's report, Apple told its main suppliers, Foxconn and Pegatron, to lower production volumes. In case of Foxconn, 60 production lines were ready for new iPhones, but only 45 were allocated.

Apple's parts supplier, Wistron, although was expected to go full throttle for the holiday season, actually was instructed to halt production for that time period.

This was actually a similar scenario to the iPhone 5c a few years ago, and although we don't know if the XR is going to flop as hard as the 5c did, we can see that there isn't much demand for the $750 sub-1080p smartphone.

What do you think is the reason? Is it the lack of marketing or is simply the average consumer fed up with having less phone for a high price?

Source:

https://www.androidauthority.com/apple-iphone-xr-orders-holiday-921886

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

Is the XR supposed to be a step down from the XS? But still better than the original X? Their line up seems way to confusing. Not to mention the iPhone 7 and 8 are still in their lineup which confuses things even more. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Not true at all

Also the source of the rumor has been historically unreliable. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

2 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Is the XR supposed to be a step down from the XS? But still better than the original X? Their line up seems way to confusing. Not to mention the iPhone 7 and 8 are still in their lineup which confuses things even more. 

The original X was replaced with the XS.

The X was dropped from the lineup.

Just now, King Poet said:

So which audience is the XR for? 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 

I thought it was already predicted to sell bad?

Hopefully people stop buying the 750-1000 smartphones so that we can keep their prices low and competitive.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

22 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

I thought it was already predicted to sell bad?

Well from what I can tell, the price of the flagship went up again and the rest of the lineup is a car wreck. I still can't for the life of me understand the segment many of their current models are currently fighting for. The 7 didn't become the value proposition. The 8 is just... there...because of reasons.... The XR wasn't the SE replacement people were hoping for. And the XS is the flagship with a further increased price tag that no one asked for. 

11 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Probably people generally ignorant enough to believe a $750 phone is cheap when they could get a last gen iphone X or just avoid the notch and get an iphone 8. If sales are less than expected, then people are either getting the Xs or keeping their X, or more consumers are more aware of Apple's marketing and not buying a $750 phone with an 800p screen and 3gb of ram.

iPhone XR 64GB is 900€ in my country. XD I'd rather buy 900€ worth of Jaffa cakes than this phone. If they priced it at around 500€, maybe even stretched up to 600€, it would be a viable thing. At nearly twice that not by any chance. And sale numbers are apparently agreeing with me...

Just now, Blademaster91 said:

People generally ignorant enough to believe a $750 phone is cheap when they could get a last gen iphone X or just avoid the notch and get an iphone 8. If sales are less than expected, then people are either getting the Xs or keeping their X, or more consumers are more aware of Apple's marketing and not buying a $750 phone with an 800p screen and 3gb of ram.

Was the XR supposed to be the value option? Because the 7 still exists and well, even that's not cheap enough to be considered value. At least not in Canada it isn't. 

3 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Was the XR supposed to be the value option? Because the 7 still exists and well, even that's not cheap enough to be considered value. At least not in Canada it isn't. 

I wasn't sure if the 7 got discontinued or not, still for sale though and the SE is too,those are like the value options in the US if you don't want a contract or used. I'd rather have an updated SE at a midrange price, disappointed it got killed off cause i'd prefer touch id and a 3.5mm jack is nice to have.

36 minutes ago, King Poet said:

When exactly did this happen? 

I'm part of the "Help a noob foundation" 

4 minutes ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

how many times is XR $900 better / worse than pocophone $300?

I'm having hard time justifying iPhone XR even over Xiaomi Mi5 from almost 3 years ago...

1 hour ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

For people who don't want to pay the high price of the Xs

It's an expensive phone with nothing interesting to justify the price. Then again I could say the same thing about most iPhones... I guess this one doesn't even scratch the flexing itch.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

5 hours ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

how many times is XR $900 better / worse than pocophone $300?

There is no comparison, one is good for painting it blue and dropping into the ocean while pocophone is a great phone with an excellent OS.

I think it's not selling well because of its price.

If they were asking $549 or $649 at most then I think it would have sold a lot better.

As it stands, the biggest competition to the iPhone XR right now is the iPhone 8 which itself is overpriced.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Oh a people freak out about this comment from me.

Well, I hope it's true. Apple started this whole insane pricing scheme with 2015 MacBook and they're products have been creeping up in pricing across the line the past 3 years. They were expensive before, but I felt it was justified for their their pretty amazing software and ecosystem (which, wake up people, costs actual money rather than others just slappin on Android or Windows and making some half hearted attempts to add more value, which is usually 90% a flop)

To be clear, the iPhone Xr is a great phone. People complaining about the screen are people who are just misinformed or the kind of hardcore Apple hater who just finds reasons to hate a perfectly good phone.

And the iPhone Xr is not the 5c. The 5c was just an iPhone 5 in a plastic body while a $100 more iPhone 5s had the first 64-bit massively powerful A6 chip, touch ID and much better build quality. The 5C was unpopular because Apple's own 5S was a much better option, so they cannibalized the sales of their own product with another product

However the iPhone Xr, is basically a Xs but with

• LCD instead of OLED (reviews says that other than deep blacks and off angle shifts, it's a great display) 
  • Slightly thicker bezels (which the difference honestly melts away as soon as you top looking at it side by side with Xs)
  • Single camera system but retaining portrait effects (I doubt anyone actually cares about 2x zoom)
  • And aluminium build instead of stainless steel (who gives a fuck)

And it retains the same powerful A12 Bionic, IP rating, wireless charging, stereo speakers, the same camera on the front and back, faster Face ID while adding colours and costing a whopping $250 less. Like these are the actual meaningful features.

Back to the main issue at hand, Apple is creeping up the price because the market is saturated and there doesn't seem a way for them to grow in a meaningful way. So they extract more revenue (more profit) per customer, which IMO is not cool. I feel like they should make their great products accessible to everyone and the new MacBook Air with its $1199 price with 128GB storage is a perfect example of this

So yeah, I hope their sales are visibly down and I hope they get undercut by companies like OnePlus of providing so much more value for half the price. I hope this strategy doesn't work and I hope they reduce their insane prices for the next generation products.

And based on rumours it was very clear that the Xs was supposed to start at $899 while Xs Max was the new $999 option. But the iPhone X sold really well at that price that they didn't feel the need to reduce the price of the newer model

I like my XR, and couldn't be bothered if it sold well or not, lol.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

4 hours ago, Sauron said:

It's an expensive phone with nothing interesting to justify the price. Then again I could say the same thing about most iPhones... I guess this one doesn't even scratch the flexing itch.

All high end android phones these days come at almost $800-$1000 range (which tob Apple started). So for $749 the Xr is relatively a good value when you're pretty much getting basically the same experience as the $1000 Xs

32 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

iPhone 8 which itself is overpriced.

How is the iPhone 8 overpriced? I'm sure as hell that buying an iPhone 8 today will end up lasting longer than today's flagship android, no doubt. The camera, the screen, touch ID are still pretty competitive to those the price conscious user. The only difference is that the iPhone 8 came out last year and most phones today that costs about the same or an extremely comparable feature set and performance of the iPhone 8. Probably the only thing lacking is the edge to edge screen, but then again Apple and iOS for an Apple user has alot more going on than the new trend of fancy looking edge to edge displays

28 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

Oh a people freak out about this comment from me.

Well, I hope it's true. Apple started this whole insane pricing scheme with 2015 MacBook and they're products have been creeping up in pricing across the line the past 3 years. They were expensive before, but I felt it was justified for their their pretty amazing software and ecosystem (which, wake up people, costs actual money rather than others just slappin on Android or Windows and making some half hearted attempts to add more value, which is usually 90% a flop)

To be clear, the iPhone Xr is a great phone. People complaining about the screen are people who are just misinformed or the kind of hardcore Apple hater who just finds reasons to hate a perfectly good phone.

And the iPhone Xr is not the 5c. The 5c was just an iPhone 5 in a plastic body while a $100 more iPhone 5s had the first 64-bit massively powerful A6 chip, touch ID and much better build quality. The 5C was unpopular because Apple's own 5S was a much better option, so they cannibalized the sales of their own product with another product

However the iPhone Xr, is basically a Xs but with

• LCD instead of OLED (reviews says that other than deep blacks and off angle shifts, it's a great display) 
  • Slightly thicker bezels (which the difference honestly melts away as soon as you top looking at it side by side with Xs)
  • Single camera system but retaining portrait effects (I doubt anyone actually cares about 2x zoom)
  • And aluminium build instead of stainless steel (who gives a fuck)

And it retains the same powerful A12 Bionic, IP rating, wireless charging, stereo speakers, the same camera on the front and back, faster Face ID while adding colours and costing a whopping $250 less. Like these are the actual meaningful features.

Back to the main issue at hand, Apple is creeping up the price because the market is saturated and there doesn't seem a way for them to grow in a meaningful way. So they extract more revenue (more profit) per customer, which IMO is not cool. I feel like they should make their great products accessible to everyone and the new MacBook Air with its $1199 price with 128GB storage is a perfect example of this

So yeah, I hope their sales are visibly down and I hope they get undercut by companies like OnePlus of providing so much more value for half the price. I hope this strategy doesn't work and I hope they reduce their insane prices for the next generation products.

And based on rumours it was very clear that the Xs was supposed to start at $899 while Xs Max was the new $999 option. But the iPhone X sold really well at that price that they didn't feel the need to reduce the price of the newer model

My 250 dollar smart phone has a 1080p screen. For 750 dollars not having at least a 1080p screen if absolutely ridiculous. 

Just now, RedRound2 said:

How is the iPhone 8 overpriced? I'm sure as hell that buying an iPhone 8 today will end up lasting longer than today's flagship android, no doubt. The camera, the screen, touch ID are still pretty competitive to those the price conscious user. The only difference is that the iPhone 8 came out last year and most phones today that costs about the same or an extremely comparable feature set and performance of the iPhone 8. Probably the only thing lacking is the edge to edge screen, but again Apple just sells older phones instead of making new ones with modern designs with relatively outdated specs 

I just think that for a year old phone they could certainly offer a better discount.

$549 for the 8 and $649 for the 8 Plus still feels overpriced for a year old phone.

Then again, they are primarily selling new units and not refurb or used.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),