Apple slows down last year's iPhones with IOS 12.1 | iPhone 8 and X customers beware

AlTech
Message added by WkdPaul

Please stay on-topic and avoid "fanboy" bashing, this type of discourse will (as usual) lead to personal attacks and will end with a thread lock and some warnings.

So please, stay level headed and respectful toward each other.

1 minute ago, Drak3 said:

Man, if only I had used a past tense word like 'were.'

Lol

Seriously though, I miss those times. This glass trend just sickens me 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

i rather my phone throttle then it shutting off @ 20% thanks to voltage spiking down from an old battery. 

just saying. I get why apple did the throttling, and to me it was never that big of a deal because of this ^.

The battery is not that expensive to replace every 2-3 years..

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

1 minute ago, bcredeur97 said:

rather my phone throttle then it shutting off @ 20% thanks to voltage spiking down from an old battery.

Some of us would rather the phone just come with an appropriately sized battery.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

28 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

No, they don't. They want people to think that. Otherwise, the iPhone would look like a CAT phone. The design choice of the iPhone pursues the "premium" feel over durability and longetivity.

Being designed towards a premium feel over durability is very different than not being designed to last. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 minute ago, 79wjd said:

Being designed towards a premium feel over durability is very different than not being designed to last. 

No, it's not.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

2 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Some of us would rather the phone just come with an appropriately sized battery.

no matter what size battery it has, eventually you're going to have issues from age. 

Once it hits 300-400 cycles or so, it's all downhill from there. and you can pretty much get up that high with any phone in 2 years.

throttling helps prevent large voltage spikes that make your phone die or reboot instantly due to having an old battery that can't maintain it's voltage under load

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

4 minutes ago, 79wjd said:

I'd more agree with it's really not, Apple is the one that pushed the glass back as being "premium" over a more durable polycarbonate. I put my phones in a case anyway so I could care less if it has a more premium feeling glass back cover.

Just now, bcredeur97 said:

eventually you're going to have issues from age. 

Yes, and you'll have those issues significantly sooner with an iPhone than many Android phones.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

2 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

no matter what size battery it has, eventually you're going to have issues from age. 

Once it hits 300-400 cycles or so, it's all downhill from there. and you can pretty much get up that high with any phone in 2 years.

Actually, if it's well made, a larger battery can actually last a bit longer in terms of charge cycles, with the effects of degradation being less obvious. 

I had Android phones with pathetically small batteries for their size and both ran into shutdowns after about a year's worth of use. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

I knew having a new iOS version for older devices was too good to be true.

1 minute ago, Speed Weed said:

We need to bring back the removable battery because non-removable battery is stupid for me. 

Sadly not coming back because every single manufacturer is going "MUH PREMIUM LOOK AND FEEL". 

Like with glass backs. Eugh. 

Just now, D13H4RD said:

Sadly not coming back because every single manufacturer is going "MUH PREMIUM LOOK AND FEEL". 

Like with glass backs. Eugh. 

I regret of destroy my Galaxy S5..........Now my S7 battery is shit. Average SOT is 2 hours to 2 hours and 15 minutes. 

10 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Apple phones are more efficient. Honestly, replacing the battery costs $70. That’s $70 every 2 years. No big deal.

it's time

Just now, Speed Weed said:

I regret of destroy my Galaxy S5..........Now my S7 battery is shit. Average SOT is 2 hours to 2 hours and 15 minutes. 

Have you tried to get it replaced? That's what I'm planning for my Note8 after a while. 

Just now, D13H4RD said:

Have you tried to get it replaced? That's what I'm planning for my Note8 after a while. 

Replace my S7 battery? Nope, I haven't bring to the repair shop to have them replace it yet. 

1 minute ago, Speed Weed said:

Replace my S7 battery? Nope, I haven't bring to the repair shop to have them replace it yet. 

Probably might want to quote a replacement at some point. 

Just now, RollTime said:

Apple phones are more efficient.

By a small margin. Not one that justifies the discrepancy in battery size between an iPhone and most Android flagships, or mid range phones.

2 minutes ago, RollTime said:

Honestly, replacing the battery costs $70.

Prior to the S6, Samsung batteries were $30 per.

3 minutes ago, RollTime said:

That’s $70 every 2 years.

Whereas it'll be $0 wasted on my S8s after 2 years, and likely $0 for another year or two.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

2 minutes ago, D13H4RD said:

Probably might want to quote a replacement at some point. 

I will probably do that later. I have enough saving money to get myself a brand new Huawei Mate 9 on Amazon, but I am just waiting for the worst time to spend my saving money. 

I know there are guides and videos on the internet show how to replace the battery on S7, but I am too scared to f up my phone with my noodle hands. 

No surprise here. Even if they can disable this this "feature", the sheeples won't know any better, think their phone is due to be changed and will just get the latest iPhone, again. Because obviously, a phone couldn't possibly last you more than a year.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

5 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Whereas it'll be $0 wasted on my S8s after 2 years, and likely $0 for another year or two.

Getting my N8 battery replaced sometime next year. 

Should last another 2 years plus. I'm confident in that because it's held up really well so far, so I'm planning it for the long term. 

29 minutes ago, D13H4RD said:

Lol

Seriously though, I miss those times. This glass trend just sickens me 

When you step back it's funny, phone manufacturers are like 'We want our device to a durable as possible...let's make 90% of the phone out of one of the most fragile design materials we have..but it's gorilla glass yeah gorilla's are tough yeah'.

14 minutes ago, Speed Weed said:

as @DrMacintosh said, it just takes 5 minutes to replace. 

No go get that hair drier and a couple of cards out of the drawer!

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Assuming people who buy Apple actually can differentiate the performance of it from much cheaper smartphones, you know half the people into Apple is for the brand, bragging rights and what not.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

3 hours ago, ZacoAttaco said:

When you step back it's funny, phone manufacturers are like 'We want our device to a durable as possible...let's make 90% of the phone out of one of the most fragile design materials we have..but it's gorilla glass yeah gorilla's are tough yeah'.

What I find funny is that Apple talks about being green and LG talks about durability

But their phones are made out of stuff that's just begging to be cracked from an unlucky drop 

3 hours ago, Princess Cadence said:

Assuming people who buy Apple actually can differentiate the performance of it from much cheaper smartphones, you know half the people into Apple is for the brand, bragging rights and what not.

To be honest, a lot of people do actually get iPhones because of the Apple brand. 

But there are some people who get them either due to preference (provided they understand what they're getting) and there's also some who probably used iPhones for a long time and feel reluctant to leave it due to stuff like iMessage, even if they want to due to the increasing cost of staying in the Apple ecosystem per upgrade.