Apple slows down last year's iPhones with IOS 12.1 | iPhone 8 and X customers beware

AlTech
Message added by WkdPaul

Please stay on-topic and avoid "fanboy" bashing, this type of discourse will (as usual) lead to personal attacks and will end with a thread lock and some warnings.

So please, stay level headed and respectful toward each other.

2 minutes ago, Speed Weed said:

You will need a screw driver too.

ez

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

23 minutes ago, TechGod said:

-snip-

He's not entirely wrong though.

Today's phones just aren't as durable as they used to be. In exchange for glass backs, we had to give up removable batteries alongside some extra durability. 

While I acknowledge that Gorilla Glass has made strides, I miss the days of phones like the LG V10, which felt nothing like the cheap crappy plastic phones that usually come to mind when we talk about plastic phones. 

I mean, there's a reason why my Note8 lives inside a thick Tough Armor 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

Just now, D13H4RD said:

He's not entirely wrong though.

I'm not wrong, period.

iPhones were never durable. Most flagships now aren't overly durable.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

9 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

iPhones were never durable. Most flagships now aren't overly durable.

Make that not even the slightest bit durable. 

I don't think I can trust most phones made today with a simple drop onto anything that isn't carpet or a seat cushion. 

I remember how much of a beating my old Galaxy S2 took. It still works to this day. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

Just now, D13H4RD said:

I don't think I can trust most phones made today with a simple drop onto anything that isn't carpet or a seat cushion. 

The Galaxy S8 definitely can.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

2 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

The Galaxy S8 definitely can.

I don't trust any glass phone, even my Note8. 

Have never dropped it naked and have almost always kept it in a thick case. 

Because I know the moment it falls on something coarse and hard, it's toast without a case. 

Just now, D13H4RD said:

Because I know the moment it falls on something coarse and hard, it's toast. 

Both of my S8s have dropped onto broken tile from a good 6 feet and both survived.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

3 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Both of my S8s have dropped onto broken tile from a good 6 feet and both survived.

I don't think my Note8 would be quite as lucky. 

Either way, I'd rather be safe than sorry. Had one of my phones cracked just from being dropped onto a smooth floor from barely 3 feet with a case on. 

Bad luck? You bet. 

aa21306739bd366076db9eade093c8fc87db5b11

Spoiler

it says "classic"

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

15 hours ago, D13H4RD said:

Actually, I can do one better.

When the phone detects that the battery is degraded, it puts a persistent notification that says;

"The battery may require servicing. Functionality may be limited. Tap here for more info"

If the user taps it, it brings them to the battery health screen and allows them to turn off the performance throttling.

If it sounds familiar to Mac users, that's because they do in fact tell you when the battery requires to be replaced.

How do you know it actually needs replaced?  Because apple says so and they've got a good track record?

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

4 hours ago, Drak3 said:

No, it's not.

Yes, it is. Don't treat your things like shit and they'll last without a problem.

42 minutes ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

It is already common sense that apple does that for every product, just old news

It's not since they don't; the plus models were never throttled. Even now, the throttling only kicks in after a shutdown due to a degraded battery has occurred.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 minute ago, 79wjd said:

Yes, it is.

No, it's not. Designing something for longetivity means designing it to be durable.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

The batteries seriously degrade after a year?

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

10 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

For the heaviest of users, yes, certainly; play games all day and you'll burn through and degrade any battery. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

20 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

The more you use and charge the faster it will degrade. I heard Fast charging technology is not good for battery. 

2 minutes ago, Speed Weed said:

The more you use and charge the faster it will degrade. I heard Fast charging technology is not good for battery. 

Most aren't due to how they cause excessive heat to be generated. 

56 minutes ago, Yoinkerman said:

How do you know it actually needs replaced?  Because apple says so and they've got a good track record?

You can probably verify it with CoconutBattery or a third party application. 

1 minute ago, D13H4RD said:

Most aren't due to how they cause excessive heat to be generated. 

You can probably verify it with CoconutBattery or a third party application. 

I don't if it is accurate or not..........

54 minutes ago, 79wjd said:

For the heaviest of users, yes, certainly; play games all day and you'll burn through and degrade any battery. 

But within a year? That never used to be the case with any lithium battery.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

10 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Depends on the use case and battery quality. 

I know my Moto Z started to have random shutdowns after about a year's worth of use although that used LG batteries, which shouldn't be a problem. 

The small iPhone 6-8 seems to be more susceptible to it as they have small capacity batteries for their relative size. 

20 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

It still isn't for the most part, manufacturers just have to balance battery size to power requirements. you can run a big powerful phone of a small battery, but it won;t last very long before you have to replace the battery, likewise if you use a huge battery in a small phone it will last for ever. I still have the original HTC desire,  Battery is fine but it is obsolete.   I think what happened with the iPhone is the cheaper version had a slightly smaller battery which meant heavier users actually found that limit.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

16 minutes ago, mr moose said:

I think what happened with the iPhone is the cheaper version had a slightly smaller battery which meant heavier users actually found that limit.

That's probably it. 

The smaller iPhone 6 to 8 had sub-2000mAh batteries (oftentimes lower with the 6s being the smallest at 1715mAh), which are considered very anemic by recent standards. 

17 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

performance throttling enabled to allegedly increase battery lifespan. It is possible to disable this although one has to wonder if non-techies will.

hmmmmmm

so they are spinning it, so before they were draining batteries on purpose.

How will it be disabled?