Apple slows down last year's iPhones with IOS 12.1 | iPhone 8 and X customers beware

AlTech
Message added by WkdPaul

Please stay on-topic and avoid "fanboy" bashing, this type of discourse will (as usual) lead to personal attacks and will end with a thread lock and some warnings.

So please, stay level headed and respectful toward each other.

29 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

Not exactly true.  You could have a product that comes DOA, or it dies on its own no matter how well you treat it.

Can confirm. 

Have had cases where despite babying the crap out of my stuff, they break. 

Like my LG G4. No cracked screen and looked after very well. Still died due to defective manufacturing. Or my iPhone 4S with the broken WiFi antenna. 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

19 hours ago, PacketMan said:

Wish Samsung didn't kill my Samsung Galaxy S5 performance just when the S7 came out, had to install a custom ROM with its bugs

And my gf's ZTE A610 has slowed down A LOT and it's only 2 years old lol

Wish Android manufacturers stop their bullshit too

I noticed something with HTC one x, the camera got noticeably worse after the 2 year mark and newer versions came out.

Maybe this is a common thing to do?

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

Reading threads like these is like watching people diagnose themselves with various diseases without consulting doctors. Assumptions and baseless claims freaking everywhere.

Phone random shut off once? Gotta be the battery! There are like 10 other reasons why it might shut off, but yeah it totally has to be the battery!

Phone has gotten slower? Yep, gotta be those manufacturers deliberately making them slower! It can't be any of the other reasons, such as your usage pattern changing, battery degradation, third party apps becoming heavier and maybe more processes running in the background. Nope, gotta be planned obsolescence!

Battery has degraded? Gotta be because of users, or quick charging! Must be either one of those two things. It can't be because of things like different batteries degrading at different rates, or other such factors. Nope, gotta be the users fault in some way.

2 hours ago, Canada EH said:

hmmmmmm

so they are spinning it, so before they were draining batteries on purpose.

How will it be disabled?

They did drain batteries before to increase performance, albeit a while  ago, not sure if they did it recently.

6 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Phone has gotten slower? Yep, gotta be those manufacturers deliberately making them slower! It can't be any of the other reasons, such as your usage pattern changing, battery degradation, third party apps becoming heavier and maybe more processes running in the background. Nope, gotta be planned obsolescence!

In situations though where users had the battery replaced (as difficult as that may be with an iPhone), and performance immediately improved, that is Apple making it slower.

Though they only need to do that because they want the highest margins possible and don't use larger batteries..

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

11 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

In situations though where users had the battery replaced (as difficult as that may be with an iPhone), and performance immediately improved, that is Apple making it slower.

Don't get me wrong. There are some people in this thread who are probably right and have done some digging to make sure their statements are correct. I was just making a generalization after seeing some people say things along the lines of "performance of my phone is worse than when I got it 6 years ago. Gotta be because of software updates deliberately crippling it!".

The function is great if disclosed and documented properly. If user can pick between performance or battery life, that's great. It wasn't so great when they were doing this without telling the user or giving the user option to decide which mode to use...

5 hours ago, D13H4RD said:

considered very anemic by recent standards. 

No, that's been very anemic for years. Only in the early couple of years of smartphones was that even remotely reasonable.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

I have had my iPhone 7 since launch (over two years ago) and the maximum capacity of the battery is at 89% which I think is okay since I’m quite a heavy user. It hasn’t started to throttle yet and it doesn’t shut down before it hits 0% which is good. But if/when it starts to throttle I will turn that off immediately since I’d rather have my phone working at peak performance, even if it would shut off at maybe 10% battery left. 

Corsair iCUE 4000X RGB

ASUS ROG STRIX B550-E GAMING

Ryzen 5900X

Corsair Hydro H150i Pro 360mm AIO

Ballistix 32GB (4x8GB) 3600MHz CL16 RGB

Samsung 980 PRO 1TB

Samsung 970 EVO 1TB

Gigabyte RTX 3060 Ti GAMING OC

Corsair RM850X

Predator XB273UGS QHD IPS 165 Hz

iPhone 13 Pro 128GB Graphite

6 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

But within a year? That never used to be the case with any lithium battery.

Yes, it did. There is nothing particularly new here. The smaller the battery and the heavier the user the faster the battery will degrade. So pair a heavy user with the small battery that's in the 6, 6s, 7, and 8 and a high power draw SoC and battery degradation can become a concern.

Again, this throttling doesn't affect all users. I'd wager it only impacts the heaviest minority within the first year. My four year old 5s still had like 80% battery capacity when I stopped using it, my 6s plus had 88% after two years and my X at 94% after one year.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 hour ago, Drak3 said:

No, that's been very anemic for years. Only in the early couple of years of smartphones was that even remotely reasonable.

It probably started being more and more obvious when the bigger iPhones came out.

The iPhone 6/6s/7/8 were considerably bigger than the smaller iPhones which came before, but had batteries which weren’t bigger by all that much, still below the 2000mAh mark. For context, the Z3 Compact, which was released in the same year as the iPhone 6, had a 2600mAh pack. The Z3 was also thicker whilst also being slightly shorter and narrower than the 6, but I don’t think it accounts for the significant capacity disparity.

What continues to strike me as odd is Apple’s irregular battery capacity choices. 1860mAh, 1715mAh, 2716mAh. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

Isn't this just essentially a "low battery usage" mode in any other phone? Despite the shittiness of not letting users turn it off at first. 

1 hour ago, corrado33 said:

Isn't this just essentially a "low battery usage" mode in any other phone? Despite the shittiness of not letting users turn it off at first. 

But the thing is you CAN turn it off. It's in the settings as a toggle. 

37 minutes ago, TechGod said:

But the thing is you CAN turn it off. It's in the settings as a toggle. 

Um... 

1 hour ago, corrado33 said:

Despite the shittiness of not letting users turn it off at first

It was not originally there. It was only when people called them out and it and got thrown in hot water did they finally add the toggle. 

Which should've been there from the beginning IMHO

I've touched nothing with the default install and it's no slower for me. Just as snappy as before.

CPU | AMD Ryzen 7 7700X | GPU | ASUS TUF RTX3080 | PSU | Corsair RM850i | RAM 2x16GB X5 6000Mhz CL32 MOTHERBOARD | Asus TUF Gaming X670E-PLUS WIFI | 
STORAGE 
| 2x Samsung Evo 970 256GB NVME  | COOLING 
| Hard Line Custom Loop O11XL Dynamic + EK Distro + EK Velocity  | MONITOR | Samsung G9 Neo

On 10/31/2018 at 1:03 PM, firelighter487 said:

i can see where Apple is coming from though.

Well they solve a false problem though. Battery degradation is a thing yes, but their phones randomly shutting down is the result of either abnormal degradation or poor power management. In my family we rode android smartphones till not even death and we never had such issues. ( a galaxy s4 for 5 years and a galaxy note for 8-9years).

4 hours ago, laminutederire said:

Well they solve a false problem though. Battery degradation is a thing yes, but their phones randomly shutting down is the result of either abnormal degradation or poor power management. In my family we rode android smartphones till not even death and we never had such issues. ( a galaxy s4 for 5 years and a galaxy note for 8-9years).

It not happening to you doesn't mean it doesn't happen to others. 

The smaller iPhones are just a bit more susceptible to it due to the battery being smaller, but it's still an issue on Android phones.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

8 hours ago, corrado33 said:

Sort of, but unlike battery saving features on Android, this is a hodge podge fix for a glaring design issue.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

38 minutes ago, 79wjd said:

The smaller iPhones are just a bit more susceptible to it due to the battery being smaller, but it's still an issue on Android phones.

It's mostly phones with anemic battery capacities for their relative size 

5 hours ago, laminutederire said:

my lg g3, which has a battery from 2016 in it, will sit at 4% in airplane mode for hours (i didthat yesterday) and then i unlocked it, and it jumped to 0% and turned off within a second... 

EDIT: i was able to unlock it a few times throughout the day, but at one point it turned off like that. also when it turned off it wasn't in airplane mode anymore.

She/Her

15 hours ago, D13H4RD said:

Um... 

It was not originally there. It was only when people called them out and it and got thrown in hot water did they finally add the toggle. 

Which should've been there from the beginning IMHO

They would have had backlash either way. I think they should have been transparent from the get go and have the toggle when they did it to the iPhone 6 and beyond. 

Look, I disagree with what they did but I can understand why they did it. Know what I mean?

2 hours ago, TechGod said:

Congratulations! Would you like a cookie?

I can buy plenty because I don't use apple devices.