October 30th Apple Hardware Event Recap, w/ Vega?

3 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

The new Magnetic Apple Pencil is what the iPad Pro needed tbh. I honestly don't see the Surface as a viable product anymore, not with Adobe bringing its programs over to the iPad and the iPad offering way better graphics performance and compute power. 

It just sucks that it doesn't run macOS xD 

This makes the rumor that Apple is ditching Intel alot more convincing. If Adobe can run on their cpus then they could easily get rid of Intel. 

3 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

I mean if they are already going 50K into debt what is another 1.2K? The problem with college isn't the $1,000 MacBook Air :V 

That doesn't make the 1200 dollars reasonable when you can get other laptops which will preform the same for less. Unless you need MacOS there is no reason to get a laptop like that tbh. I can find other laptops for 1200 that are worthy of the price tag. 

Just now, Brooksie359 said:

Unless you need MacOS there is no reason to get a laptop like that tbh. I can find other laptops for 1200 that are worthy of the price tag. 

Find one that also gets 13 hours of battery life

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

23 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

which is why i got a case for my iphone, LOL. without one it's just a dot and a line with zero surface area touching on the resting surface

(MKBHD's first iPhone X had shatter damage because it vibrated itself off a slope, LOL)

Must just be the table holding the iPhone wrong lol ;). Always gotta get a case for expensive stuff though. The vibration on these things is ridiculous too, but I guess its the point of a notification to get your attention. 

1 minute ago, DrMacintosh said:

The things haven't even been reviewed and you think you can know the battery life? Until third party reviews are out it would be unfair to match up based on battery life.

1 minute ago, Brooksie359 said:

The things haven't even been reviewed and you think you can know the battery life? Until third party reviews are out it would be unfair to match up based on battery life.

Well Apple has roughly accurate battery advertising so.....

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

3 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

That doesn't make the 1200 dollars reasonable when you can get other laptops which will preform the same for less. Unless you need MacOS there is no reason to get a laptop like that tbh. I can find other laptops for 1200 that are worthy of the price tag. 

So its more the combination of things that gets my attention as a Mac user. I guess I can be little fanboy but it's hard to find a slim laptop with a good amount of horsepower (not graphics) with a huge amount of battery life and an excellent screen. I just don't know enough about Windows machines to know which one exactly to get, and they all seem to have compromises, but Apple is well marketed for me and stands out as a machine that will be reliable and last me a long time with these features. 

Like it's all preference though and if you know what you want in a PC, then get it of course. 

37 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

I've hated that camera for so long now. Why do they make a camera that sticks out >:(. OCD nightmare, can't lie phone flat on a surface. 

I can accept it on a phone, but on a tablet designed for writing/drawing it is beyond stupid.

6 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Historically Apple has been pretty reasonable in their battery life estimates.

Also, by that same reasoning, it's not fair to judge it against other laptops in general until reviews are out.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Just now, 79wjd said:

I can accept it on a phone, but on a tablet designed for writing/drawing it is beyond stupid.

It's a bit silly, but maybe artists have to get an iEasel now. Might not be a bad idea, have charging pen and iPad capabilities or something. Not so good when you use a iPad to take notes flat on a table. But I guess you should of course get a case, even though the keyboard case from Apple won't remedy this :( 

15 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Well Apple has roughly accurate battery advertising so.....

So what? You seem to imply that we should take their word for it when we shouldn't. They have done some pretty dumb things like advertise the MacBook running an i9 that throttles to oblivion and doesn't perform as advertised. 

Love it or hate it about the price, the macbook air is gonna sell like hotcakes for apple. The Air is probably one of the most loved products in apple lineup and I dont see why this one wouldn't be well liked as well. The Air seems to me to offer a lot of what your typical user would want. Great screen, good keyboard with the best battery for its form factor.

iPad is iPad which i think is a quite a niche market now compared to what it was before, but it's the most revolutionary out of all the products announced today.

I literally just bought Macbook Pro 15" less than 24 hours ago. I hope the new GPUs are upgrades, not update because I'd be really fucked then. 

Currently contemplating whether I should return the Macbook or not. I seriously didnt think that they would upgrade the GPU given how new the macbook 2018 lineup is

Can dual cores please fuck off, and die like single cores?

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

2 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Can dual cores please fuck off, and die like single cores?

Considering dual cores are more then enough for large portions of the population, No.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

2 minutes ago, 79wjd said:

Considering dual cores are more then enough for large portions of the population, No.

I'll be more specific, dual core i5 and i7.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

45 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

surface laptop and huawei Matebook X pro.

they both have battery life rated above 14 hours last time i checked. 

offcourse give some leeway for optimistic batterylife. 

then you have the surface Pro 5th gen which says 13,5 hours. offcourse optimistic leeway. i dont know how accurate they set their benchmarks

15 minutes ago, xtroria said:

Currently contemplating whether I should return the Macbook or not. I seriously didnt think that they would upgrade the GPU given how new the macbook 2018 lineup is

Apple is making new models of the 15” MBPs with Vega. So yes, you should return the MacBook you just bought. 

41 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

So its more the combination of things that gets my attention as a Mac user. I guess I can be little fanboy but it's hard to find a slim laptop with a good amount of horsepower (not graphics) with a huge amount of battery life and an excellent screen. I just don't know enough about Windows machines to know which one exactly to get, and they all seem to have compromises, but Apple is well marketed for me and stands out as a machine that will be reliable and last me a long time with these features. 

Like it's all preference though and if you know what you want in a PC, then get it of course. 

There is absolutely no horse power to be found in this release. They gimped it. Other than that it's mostly fine albeit overpriced.

Just now, Trixanity said:

There is absolutely no horse power to be found in this release. They gimped it. Other than that it's mostly fine albeit overpriced.

What exactly did they gimp? 

?? How is an i9 and the fastest mobile chip (capable of running full photoshop) not great horsepower. 

1 minute ago, RorzNZ said:

?? How is an i9 and the fastest mobile chip (capable of running full photoshop) not great horsepower. 

This thread is about the new MBA. That's not even remotely comparable to a MBP. Certainly not now.

1 minute ago, Trixanity said:

This thread is about the new MBA. That's not even remotely comparable to a MBP. Certainly not now.

This thread is about the MBA, MBP, Mac mini and the new iPad Pro. Try having 13 hours of battery life on an i7 or i9. The i5 is great performance for a notebook and a well balanced machine. 

Y processors.

If you want more performance go down the to old MacBook Air or move up to a MacBook Pro. 

They have product lines for a reason. 

The big news to me is that Apple now has a audio over USB-C standard.

This means that the crap in the industry over everyone doing it differently can go and die and finally all our USB-C headphones, and DAC/AMPs will work with most/all phones :D

1 minute ago, Belgarathian said:

The big news to me is that Apple now has a audio over USB-C standard.

the question is if they are following the official USB standard or the unofficial one with DAC passthrough