October 30th Apple Hardware Event Recap, w/ Vega?

3 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

No, I'm sorry, but they really aren't. 

Samsungs latest Galaxy tab competes with the iPad Pro in 0 categories. 

I think they meant the phones.

The Tab S4 does compete in the pen department, but that's probably about it. Android tablets are dead, and it seems Google feels that ChromeOS is the better way to go (still dislike it though)

1 minute ago, ZacoAttaco said:

I’d have to agree, the iPad Pro’s biggest competitor is the Surface line from Microsoft. 

That's probably their main target since the 2015 Pro first came out.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

@DrMacintosh what so hilarious John Candy gif gets no reaction but standard obvious point does? smh ??

Just now, D13H4RD said:

I think they meant the phones.

Maybe, but personally Samsung has fallen to the wayside imo. Apple has been in the media for months now and I can't even remember when I saw a modern Samsung phone last in the wild. 

I know they still ship a lot of units, but I'm just not seeing them in my day to day life. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

1 minute ago, ZacoAttaco said:

@DrMacintosh what so hilarious John Candy gif gets no reaction but standard obvious point does? smh ??

No Rep for you! 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

1 minute ago, DrMacintosh said:

Maybe, but personally Samsung has fallen to the wayside imo. Apple has been in the media for months now and I can't even remember when I saw a modern Samsung phone last in the wild. 

I know they still ship a lot of units, but I'm just not seeing them in my day to day life. 

It's mostly in other markets. Apple still dominates the US market but over in my neck of the woods, Samsung and Apple have an equal amount of presence.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

1 minute ago, captain_to_fire said:

Picture in picture ?

-snip-

iPad feature is iPad feature *ding* 

3 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

No Rep for you! 

That seems to be this forum's motto...

Related image

24 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

I wonder who is at fault for that.....

Whose would it be? This isnt just an android thing.

25 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

That makes no sense, all Macs have 3.5mm jacks and are USB-C compatible. You would never need a dongle

Many people leave their dongle attached to their head phones so they dont lose it or have to worry about it. They could just unplug from their iphone straight into their mac. 

Or how about you know, god damn new ipad that now need ANOTHER separate dongle to use headphones.

28 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

You would have had to have had two separate cables in the first place, so one of them being lighting really isnt a negative

Also you can sync everything in iTunes wirelessly

Again, not everyone wants to go full wireless. Many people travel with iphones and mac and wireless is not always available. I could just carry 1 type-c cable to charge, transfer or then use the cable for a TB3 portable SSD. 

30 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Yeah, you should have. People have been used to that since 2007 and it wasn't that big of a deal then and its not that big of a deal now.

BUT WHY THE FUCK DO THEY HAVE TO!!! God the fucking fanboism. That mindset is what grinds my gears. 

31 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

I have actually not seen many USB-C equipped phones out in the wild. Mostly just iPhones and older Android phones. 

Are you even paying attention of living in your fairytale world? Almost every Android phone has been type-c for the past 3 years with many upgrading soon because battery life problems with aging batteries. 

29 minutes ago, D13H4RD said:

Not by that much though

Versus an XS Max, the recent Notes are a little taller but also a little narrower. The difference would be smaller had the Note not been in a case and if the forehead and chinbar were a little smaller.

Taller but narrower....but what about the 4,000mah battery, the headphone jack, the finger print reader which does take up space or maybe the fricken stylus...oh and type-c. 

Shitty engineers will say there is no room. Honestly is no excuse for type-c being "too big" or no room for a jack. 

3 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Taller but narrower....but what about the 4,000mah battery, the headphone jack, the finger print reader which does take up space or maybe the fricken stylus...oh and type-c.

I was focusing on size in that one.

I know the Note9 had a larger battery and crammed in a crapload of stuff whilst only being a tad larger than the Note8 shown in that photo. I still consider it the middle finger to phone trends in 2018.

Like I said, the likely reason why the new iPads have no jack is nothing to do with space. There is more than likely plenty of room in it just due to its sheer size.

31 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

No, I'm sorry, but they really aren't. 

Samsungs latest Galaxy tab competes with the iPad Pro in 0 categories. 

In tablets yeah that's true, though the discussion was on phones lol. I mean it wouldn't even be that difficult to put some nice hardware in a tablet and sell it at a decent price, but no one wants tablets anymore when their phone does the same thing.

29 minutes ago, ZacoAttaco said:

I’d have to agree, the iPad Pro’s biggest competitor is the Surface line from Microsoft. Especially with the introduction of the Surface Go line.

The Surface is like their only competition, and only if you want Windows in a hybrid tablet/laptop form.

A Surface Go is nice for a basic PC but the 4gb ram and a dual core is just barely enough if you want to have more than chrome open.

Just now, Blademaster91 said:

I mean it wouldn't even be that difficult to put some nice hardware in a tablet and sell it at a decent price

Thats what I hate about Android tablets. All that room and all that cooling and mid tier CPU with a....ok...battery. Why....

2 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

The Surface is like their only competition, and only if you want Windows in a hybrid tablet/laptop form.

A Surface Go is nice for a basic PC but the 4gb ram and a dual core is just barely enough if you want to have more than chrome open.

Surface and ipad are not direct competitors. Two different outcomes for both with only a small overlap between them.

Also to note, the 4gig Surface GO can handle quite a bit with Windows 10 memory management. I suggest watching Windows Central video on it. 

17 minutes ago, ZacoAttaco said:

I’d have to agree, the iPad Pro’s biggest competitor is the Surface line from Microsoft. Especially with the introduction of the Surface Go line.

I was hoping WoA would give Apple competition when it comes to tablets but nah. The Galaxy Book 2 isn’t even competitive when it comes to price. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

5 hours ago, xtroria said:

dont try to compare macbook pricing with the normal 1080P laptops. Try to compare them to the surface lineup and you'll see that the high end laptop prices are pretty much similar

I know, stop bringing logic into this alright! But saying that the other equivalents have 2x the SSD capacity for the same/similar price here, which blows.

5 hours ago, avg123 said:

What does a XPS 13 cost in Australia?

Similar price sadly, they start at $1,800 for a similar spec (albeit a larger SSD & touch screen). If I was to get a new laptop, I don't think i'd get a Windows based one, as I personally prefer MacOS/OSX on a laptop for some reason over Windows, where as I much prefer Windows on a desktop over MacOS/OSX. Also i'm way too used to Apples amazing trackpad, it's what got me to enjoy using a laptop all those years ago with the original Core2Duo MacBook.

Case: Ncase M1 V5 Black CPU: Intel Core i5 12600 MB: AORUS Z690i RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 SSD: WD SN770 500GB | WD SN750 250GB

Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65 GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra 8GB PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum Fans: Noctua NF-F12x 2 | Noctua NF-A9x14

4 minutes ago, Virus__ said:

I know, stop bringing logic into this alright! But saying that the other equivalents have 2x the SSD capacity for the same/similar price here, which blows.

Similar price sadly, they start at $1,800 for a similar spec (albeit a larger SSD & touch screen). If I was to get a new laptop, I don't think i'd get a Windows based one, as I personally prefer MacOS/OSX on a laptop for some reason over Windows, where as I much prefer Windows on a desktop over MacOS/OSX. Also i'm way too used to Apples amazing trackpad, it's what got me to enjoy using a laptop all those years ago with the original Core2Duo MacBook.

Are you from Perth? Does Australia sales tax vary by state?

8 minutes ago, avg123 said:

Are you from Perth? Does Australia sales tax vary by state?

Nah mate, east coast, and nah 10% sales tax nationwide which is incorporated into the sale price at least.

Case: Ncase M1 V5 Black CPU: Intel Core i5 12600 MB: AORUS Z690i RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 SSD: WD SN770 500GB | WD SN750 250GB

Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65 GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra 8GB PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum Fans: Noctua NF-F12x 2 | Noctua NF-A9x14

Basically, the Air is a device that complicates the whole MP lineup and the pricing makes no sense. The base model is 128GB ffs in 2018. $200 more for 256 is a joke. And no 128 GB is not enough for most people. The MP naming scheme at this point is out of this world and unless you are an Apple engineers you probably won't be able to find out what's what. The basic MB costs more than the Air and is a downgrade in almost every possible way. iPad Pro has no headphone jack so now you need a usb-c to 3.5mm to go along with your lightning to 3.5mm if you're into that. Good forbid you want to use a keyboard and charge the iPad Pro at the same time. Dongle galore. God forbid they gave you $9 dongle in the box with the iPad Pro. You gotta earn that money to get to $2 trillion. I could go on and on. Apple at this point has no idea what they're doing. They don't.

I have in my home an iPad Air 2 and a MBP 2017. I could justify both of these things, even the MBP, and could argue for days why. These new devices? Fuck no. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

I don’t like the MacBook Air one bit since it’s basically a MacBook Pro with an anemic CPU. The Mac Mini looks promising, but it can get REALLY expensive if you max out the SSD and RAM, at least it looks like RAM is user replaceable. 

The most exiting thing here are the new iPads, which are probably more powerful than the 13” MacBook Pros. But Apple has to be Apple and knocked off the headphone jack. Alas, as much as I like it I already have a really good iPad Pro, so I’m skipping this one. 

ZamoRIG 2.0:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.9GHz

Cooling: DeepCool Captain 240 RGB + 2x Corsair ML120 fans

Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming x2 

Motherboard: Asrock X370 Gaming K4 

RAM: 2x8GB DDR4 G Skill Ripjaws V Grey @ 2800MHz 

SSDs: 2xPatriot Ignite M.2 240GB

HDD: WD Black 1TB + WD Green 2TB

PSU: Corsair RM750

Case: Corsair Carbide 400C

ZamoRIG “Portable”:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @ 4GHz

Cooling: Corsair H80i 

Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming 

Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350N Gaming WiFi

RAM: 1x16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengance  @ 2400MHz 

SSD: Patriot Ignite M.2 240GB 

HDD: 2TB 2.5” Seagate HDD 

PSU: Corsair TX650M 

Case: Siverstone SG13

2 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

In fairness... you are in the US. Where the phone market is fucked up to all hell compared to the rest of the world. Near 45% market share in the US compared to under 25% in Europe and about 15% globally.

Apple is actually the plurality cellphone maker in the US. Though as a counter anecdote here in the midwest, I haven't yet seen someone rocking a Xs or Xs Max, and see at least one s9+ on a daily basis ;)

Anyways! In tablets for sure. Rocking a full non-iOS operating system is probably the biggest reason the Surface still has the market share it does. I don't personally think the iPad pro makes more sense for well... anyone... but I know a lot of people "invested in the ecosystem". (Quotes because that's what they'd say. Not because it actually would be a downside if they wanted to swap.)

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

1 hour ago, mynameisjuan said:

Surface and ipad are not direct competitors. Two different outcomes for both with only a small overlap between them.

Also to note, the 4gig Surface GO can handle quite a bit with Windows 10 memory management. I suggest watching Windows Central video on it. 

want to note that at the pricepoint that the new Apple iPad, you can get more than the base model Surface Go.

you can get the 8GB model with a typecover and the pencil for the same ammount as only the base model Ipad Pro 11".

at the pricepoint that the iPad is at, you are going up against the Surface Pro line. that is what Apple is up against, they are the closest competitors and it is what Apple is putting it up against. they are marketing it as an 2 in 1 laptop (at least as far as i noticed)

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

want to note that at the pricepoint that the new Apple iPad, you can get more than the base model Surface Go.

you can get the 8GB model with a typecover and the pencil for the same ammount as only the base model Ipad Pro 11".

at the pricepoint that the iPad is at, you are going up against the Surface Pro line. that is what Apple is up against, they are the closest competitors and it is what Apple is putting it up against. they are marketing it as an 2 in 1 laptop (at least as far as i noticed)

Agreed.

For the current pricing and performance model, the iPad Pro is clearly marketed directly against the Surface Pro.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS