October 30th Apple Hardware Event Recap, w/ Vega?

Glad to see the Mac mini get some love but it looks like everything is soldered and those increase in SSD and RAM prices are just no good

2 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

the question is if they are following the official USB standard or the unofficial one with DAC passthrough 

Valid, but the industry tends to follow Apple.

Particularly since we can almost guarantee that there will be a flood of Apple certified USB-C accessories (so long as it's not patented, or locked to platform).

1 minute ago, suits said:

Glad to see the Mac mini get some love but it looks like everything is soldered and those increase in SSD and RAM prices are just no good

The Mac Mini got a lot of love!

2 minutes ago, suits said:

The RAM is upgradable......

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

4 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

The new Magnetic Apple Pencil is what the iPad Pro needed tbh. I honestly don't see the Surface as a viable product anymore, not with Adobe bringing its programs over to the iPad and the iPad offering way better graphics performance and compute power. 

It just sucks that it doesn't run macOS xD 

Uhh... it doesnt offer better graphics or compute. Mobile graphics are very fast at what they can do, but still lack basic functionality required for a lot of non-mobile gaming. It's why mobile games are designed from the ground up to avoid those sorts of features all together. 

Which is also why there are basically constant lawsuits against apple and Qualcomm over their GPU advancements as they try to slowly add more and more feature parity with those done by intel/amd/nvidia etc.

Anyways! I didnt hear about the active cooling on the air. That's a good thing, if so, but I heard multiple other outlets reporting on the event as it being fanless. -Y series crapsicles normally are tbh. Bigger chassis, lower (albeit much newer) CPU power allocation, smaller battery, worse IO (to me, but maybe not to people all in on usbC dongles), the terrible new keyboard style. Honestly except for the screen and trackpad upgrade, I dont have good things to say about this.

The new iPad Pro definitely seems more interesting. I assume we will actually be able to test these things once people are doing renders and stuff on them, but the price increase... holy balls that value is non-existent. It makes the surface lineup look cheap by comparison. 

And then the mac mini! On paper this looks like by far the best upgrade, and potentially a very very useful one. My only concern is that the cooling doesnt look dramatically better than what was on the old models and those things thermal throttles with measly 15W parts. Not sure how it will handle the 6 core parts again (though it isnt like the MB Pro can handle it either). 

Reviews await I guess. 

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Just now, Belgarathian said:

Valid, but the industry tends to follow Apple.

Particularly since we can almost guarantee that there will be a flood of Apple certified USB-C accessories (so long as it's not patented, or locked to platform).

this isnt about the industry following.

there is an official standard without passthrough with a powered DAC in the Dongle.

then there is the unnofficial standard adopted in certain phones with passthrough. 

Apple can either do the official thing and follow players like Google and Razer. or they can follow the unnofficial one that others have used, like HTC

8 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

This thread is about the MBA, MBP, Mac mini and the new iPad Pro. Try having 13 hours of battery life on an i7 or i9. The i5 is great performance for a notebook and a well balanced machine. 

Not directly relevant. But SB2 in all its iterations does much better than 13 hours there ;)

Mind you that is with almost twice as big of battery and a ludicrously high price point.

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

5 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

The RAM is upgradable......

was Ram upgradable?

i though it was just storage

20 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Apple is making new models of the 15” MBPs with Vega. So yes, you should return the MacBook you just bought. 

Probably the driver behind the Intel/AMD chipset seen earlier in their NUC.

Just now, GoldenLag said:

Snip

Wrong. Both are official. One is required. The other is optional. Audio adapter accessory mode is NOT unofficial. It is merely non-required.

Hell, supporting a powered dac through usb has been 'officially supported' since usb's initial release. This isnt a feature and it shouldn't even be labeled separately. 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

2 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Anyways! I didnt hear about the active cooling on the air. That's a good thing, if so,

I only added that because I saw what looked like a fan during the Apple event when they were doing so render cut aways

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Just now, DrMacintosh said:

I only added that because I saw what looked like a fan during the Apple event when they were doing so render cut aways

Well that's the best news about it I've heard so far. Wait and see, no?

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

3 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

was Ram upgradable?

i though it was just storage

Apple made it very clear that the memory was on SO-DIMs which I posted in the OP

1 minute ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Wrong. Both are official. One is required. The other is optional. Audio adapter accessory mode is NOT unofficial. It is merely non-required.

Hell, supporting a powered dac through usb has been 'officially supported' since usb's initial release. This isnt a feature and it shouldn't even be labeled separately. 

ah, though it was the other way around. Google has done a official statement that they are merely doing the official USB spec and therefore arent supporting passthrough. even though the chipset has one integrated for the speakers

Btw here is a slide about the MacBook Pro getting Vega. Apparently Vega 20 is up to 60% faster than the Radeon Pro 560X and consumes less power

240324996_ScreenShot2018-10-30at1_38_23PM.thumb.png.d4b6331288daa74903eeca0f3c9101b5.png

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

ah, though it was the other way around. Google has done a official statement that they are merely doing the official USB spec and therefore arent supporting passthrough. even though the chipset has one integrated for the speakers

Yes, through minimal support of the required spec ;) and no support for the optional modes, which really should be mandatory.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

10 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

This thread is about the MBA, MBP, Mac mini and the new iPad Pro. Try having 13 hours of battery life on an i7 or i9. The i5 is great performance for a notebook and a well balanced machine. 

I wasn't aware you could get a MBP i9 for $1200. 

And that was what I responded to originally. In case you missed it. You either deliberately or inadvertently claimed $1200 would get you horse power and battery life. One of them isn't true.

8 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

If you want more performance go down the to old MacBook Air or move up to a MacBook Pro. 

They have product lines for a reason. 

That's really not an argument. In fact it's nonsensical.

"If you want more performance buy the old MBA" and "product lines". Are you aware of what you're actually saying? Please read out loud what you're typing.

It's not even close to being a rational thought.

Consumers simply have to buy the version from like two years ago if they want more performance than the latest because Apple chose to downgrade from U to Y processors. Read that a couple of times and get back to me when it clicks.

We all know is a marketing ploy to get you to move up to a MBP. The price also encourages you to do so. The engineers did a lot of work on this to make it desirable. Marketing spend a similar amount of time to do the opposite.

1 minute ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Yes, through minimal support of the required spec ;) and no support for the optional modes, which really should be mandatory.

USB C spec on phones vary quite a lot these days. mostly from USB 2.0 to 3.1, but also dumb things like DAC passthrough,

i can see why DAC passthrough is optional, but it really should be mandatory on mobile devices

3 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

Consumers simply have to buy the version from like two years ago if they want more performance than the latest because Apple chose to downgrade from U to Y processors. Read that a couple of times and get back to me when it clicks.

Consumers should buy whatever they want or whatever they need. If you need more power than the MacBook Air provides then look elsewhere. It's that simple

6 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

I wasn't aware you could get a MBP i9 for $1200. 

And that was what I responded to originally. In case you missed it. You either deliberately or inadvertently claimed $1200 would get you horse power and battery life. One of them isn't true.

"If you want more performance buy the old MBA" and "product lines". Are you aware of what you're actually saying? Please read out loud what you're typing.

It's not even close to being a rational thought.

Where are you getting what I’m saying from lol.

32 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

They have product lines for a reason. 

tosh is right and it makes perfect sensee

I'd get the Mac Mini only so I can have a device to build/test Games/Apps/Whatever on.

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

4 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

tosh is right and it makes perfect sensee

[Redacted]

20 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Well that's the best news about it I've heard so far. Wait and see, no?

No need

924024867_ScreenShot2018-10-30at1_57_52PM.thumb.png.1c070ed96c58598a300479cb04c444ef.png

It has a fan

Just now, GoldenLag said:

i think he meant you.

as in MacinTOSH

Ohhhhhh