Toms hardware's twitter is trying to trick users

Shally

The tweet in qestion is this one:

Notice the graphs don't start at 0. This is a common advertising trick used to manipulate people into thinking "OMG The Razer phone is over twice as fast as the pixel 3!!!!" when is reality it's only ~5%.

I think this is a bit scummy coming from a Tech news site., and others agree:

Spoiler

I don't see their objective here. Are they promoting the phone or just have bad graphs? Either way I'm losing trust for toms hardware rapidly.

EDIT: I like how one twitter user put it:
"This is shamefully deceptive."

Irish in Vancouver, what's new?

1 minute ago, VegetableStu said:

DAMMIT INDUSTRY. UPDATE ALREADY

Spoiler

y_axis.png

Unexpected XKDC, but accurate nevertheless!

77FPS vs 79FPS

Looks like that vapor chamber cooling works wonders for that 2FPS boost.

Kappa.png.2d5fed253d100b582da72a4d883e6163.png

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

1 minute ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

77FPS vs 79FPS

Looks like that vapor chamber cooling works wonders for that 2FPS boost.

2fps? That's like 3% performance boost!?!?!?! I will DEFINITELY notice that on my mobile phone

Tom's isn't credible anymore after the RTX shit, this isn't all that surprising.

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

i think what's sadder is the people who fall for this

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

1 hour ago, syn2112 said:

i think what's sadder is the people who fall for this

I disagree, if you believe the source is valid then you're inclined to believe it. 

4 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

here, just... here:

Do NOT give them any ideas.

1 hour ago, KendoSapion said:

2fps? That's like 3% performance boost!?!?!?! I will DEFINITELY notice that on my mobile phone

To be fair because of the screen difference it's more like 60fps vs 79fps but i don't remeber seeing this stupid graph in a very long time, and why would they even do that? it's just stupid, maybe if razer did it on their twitter but a supposedly independant reviewer?

1 hour ago, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

Tom's isn't credible anymore after the RTX shit, this isn't all that surprising.

About a year ago I was banned from Toms, and was already feeling like they were an advertising only tech forum with PEOPLE like us making the forum...worthwhile. 

But then the emails kept coming trying to sell me crap.  I still peruse their stuff but honestly I don't use them for anything sans the forums were regular people talk back and forth.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

Toms and Nvidia are champions at making useless ass graphs. 6th graders using excel make better graphs...

2 hours ago, b emoji said:

How much of your life do you want to live without the 5% more performance. 

Snapdragon RTX- coming in 2020*

*games coming in 2022

it's time

I'm glad toms hardware is finally dying a slow death it seems. 
For years I've had this hate for them that was so deep seated that it was almost sexual, and now I'm not longer alone. 

Gonna leave my favorite toms thread here

On 5/12/2018 at 12:36 PM, Syntaxvgm said:
On 5/11/2018 at 11:41 PM, Crunchy Dragon said:

Honestly, I'm not a fan of Tom's Hardware.

Not about the community, most of them seem decent from what I've seen. But the site is hard to navigate for me, and it just seems a bit strict. I haven't heard a lot of positive experiences from them.

I don't give the LTT community  a lot of credit as I think most of it is young enthusiasts, but miles above tom's community. Holy shit they are so misinformed and so arrogant about it. One of their top contributors thought TVs had GPUs and that's what made consoles work. Not shitting you, I'm talking thousands of posts, all the badges, most solved threads, etc.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1839853/gta-work-260x-high-settings.html

By the way consoles are using CPU and GPU's but they don't have to power a monitor. They are using mainly TV's which have their own in-build graphics cards.

T.V's have their own build in graphics card to power their screens. A monitor doesn't and that is why they are used on PC's. Lets me say this - I am using a Macbook Pro right now on a Samsung 27" Monitor, It lags so much on games and takes so long to boot up, When i plug in my 42" T.V. as my display it runs much faster and boots up way quicker. The Integrated graphics on my MBP can't power the monitor for gaming as it is really only intended to power it's own display. You can plug in 3 T.V's to you laptop and it will still run faster than connecting up one monitor. With a console, most people use it with their T.V and usually never with a monitor.

I aren't saying that it doesn't work well on console, A console has a build in graphics card for just sending the T.V. what goes on the display and/or used to actually power a monitor. A console can power a monitor pretty well, But if you were to play really graphic intense games on it it would lag a lot, if you had a T.V connected it wouldn't be so bad. What graphics card is in your laptop? my MBP has integrated graphics and i tell you it is terrible playing games at 1080p on my monitor. I played crysis 2 on low and it still lagged, High- like 2 fps and below.

complete with me shitting on him just in case anyone see this result on google (toms is always top). No, he's not trolling, I remember checking his other posts and they were also pretty stupid. 

Here's his profile since you have to log in to see it

image.png.0ca780863758803aa54283c913013f37.png 

image.png

Almost every single top google result they have I've come across has an answer that's so wrong it's unbelievable that no one in the thread thought better. It's to the point that I hate them for their good seo. This is toms hardware. So many people like this guy. Sure most of LTT isn't that experienced, but holy shit LTT isn't toms hardware bad

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

3 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

I'm glad toms hardware is finally dying a slow death it seems. 
For years I've had this hate for them that was so deep seeded that it was almost sexual, and now I'm not longer alone. 

That's was like reading an erotic novel...

1 minute ago, Dylanc1500 said:

That's was like reading an erotic novel...

best part was the "deep seeded" instead of "deep seated" 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

1 minute ago, lewdicrous said:

Kinky (˵ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°˵)

I really should have left it in for the pun material 

muh specs 

All parts black

2 hours ago, Shally said:

I disagree, if you believe the source is valid then you're inclined to believe it. 

believe what? that the Razer phone is 3x-4x faster when clearly the numbers are not? 

again i'm not saying Toms Hardware is in the clear, i'm just saying some people are too gullible

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.