AMD Confusing/Misleading Customers Again (570 Rebrand)

Curufinwe_wins
Go to solution Solved by LinusTech,
8 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

The first time AMD did this was with the Chinese-only RX 470D, with 1792 stream processors rather than the 470's 2048. Maybe that's what encouraged AMD to release more nerfed cards, like the 560D and this seemingly 580D, but why would they release a new 590 then? It's the exact the same item as what they already have, unlike the 470D and 560D which are different (minor, but something).

Wrong. The first time *I* got screwed over by AMD (though they were ATi at that point) and their loosey-goosey "guidelines" with respect to the branding of their GPUs was on a Radeon 9600. This appears to be a particularly egregious example of this behavior, but this bullshit has been happening for years and will likely never stop.

3 hours ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

I remembered they used to name it something like RX575 (r9 285)

The 285 was a different GPU than the 280 and 280x, though. (it was more like when Nvidia launched a 750ti instead of calling it 930 or whatever -giving it a name akin to the older generation while belonging to the newer one).

5 hours ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Of course not: he's an Nvidia shill 100% of the time. 100% of the time he's not being an AMD fanboy. I mean, after deducting the time he's an Intel puppet.

OK, whatever, it made sense in my head, unsubscribing!

*This post was brought to you by Cyrix!

Same here. I liked what Linus was doing but since separation from NCIX he does not seem to have matured much or got rid of the bias - it just got worse.

Pity that companies like NVidia and Intel just gobbling what and when they want. And it's not much that people seem to be able to do as otherwise their income plummets and other sources are not enough. Fingers crossed Gamers Nexus will survive the war.

Best of luck.

You guys put a lot of trust into people.

Some kid's parents who don't know much about tech are gonna buy this thinking it's the RX 580 their kid wants and then it turns out when the kid installs it that they actually bought a rebranded RX 570. That is why this is misleading.

Remember when ATI video cards has suffixes like Pro, GTO, XT, XTX etc? This could have easily been a RX 570 XT or something, sighhhhhhhhhhhh. 

Its closer to the 570 performance but you dont call it rx570 2048sp. You name it rx 580 2048sp.

I'm sure this was never meant to be misleading :)

While it's true that this is misleading and both companies (AMD/NVIDIA) are guilty of doing this at least AMD tries to limit the damage. They seem to mostly do these shitty renames for chinese only skus, always seems to be chinese lan cafes and shit. I've heard it's suppliers in china asking for these but ofc i dont know for sure. Nvidia on the other hand just misleads everyone, for no good reason. The 1060 5gb that was china only is an exception ofc

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

6 hours ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

The 285 was a different GPU than the 280 and 280x, though.

Correct

But the 280 only existed because of a Mining hype back in the day and AMD ordered more chips - wich they couldn't sell, so they rebranded the Radeon HD7900 series to R9-280(x).

It was a shitty loose/loose situation, where you had a ton of old chips but also a new one that is better to replace it but can't sell it because you have a ton of old chips...

So it was released with only 2GiB memory as R9-285 and only the 380 got 4GiB memory, but never we have seen the full Tonga with 384bit Memory that it was designed with.

9 minutes ago, S w a t s o n said:

I've heard it's suppliers in china asking for these but ofc i dont know for sure.

Highly probable as AMD doesn't have any market power and has to do what is asked of them by big companys. So if they want a special SKU, there isn't much that AMD can do, if we are talking about like 100.000 Chips or more that they might want. 

9 minutes ago, S w a t s o n said:

Nvidia on the other hand just misleads everyone, for no good reason.

...and the Geforce Partner Programme has shown us that the Power lies with nVidia, so they don't need to do anything as they are the powerful partner and everyone who wants to do stuff has to play by their rules - for better or worse...

And that lead to them "asking" their partners to not use competition products with their Gaming brand...

Thank god it was abolished...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

11 hours ago, KodiakAyy said:

Both AMD and NVIDIA release cards, typically in China, oriented towards places such as gaming cafes to provide a near top of the line experience while decreasing prices. Basically cutting corners until it's held together by strings to decrease the price while keeping the core of it the same.

E.g.

GTX 1060 5GB

RX 580 2048SP

Also, this isn't misleading. These types of hardware are commonly released in commercial markets for bulk purchase.

Surprised to see someone else who runs gaming cafes here.

Back in 2010, I used to help out a few pals with upgrading the parts in their gaming cafes, and we usually noticed that we got quite different parts and rates here in Asia. I think there was also a time when I noticed that several cards from the distributor had very similar SKU serials. When I rang them up, it turns out some cards came in cheap single slot configs. Some came in half PCIE slim PCB sizes. Etc. Mind you, cards in those days were small.

I think one of the sadder things on this forum is the tendency to prescribe intention based on superficial observations. Sure, AMD has a bunch of cards out, but how does anyone here even know what it's for? Short of there being multiple independent sources supporting these claims of fraud and deception, it's just silly to jump to conclusions.

I dont understand the hate can you guys read at all? the product will be called  Radeon RX 580 2048SP , if you see RX 580 and RX 580 2048 SP wherever you shop and dont look at the specs to see whats different and dont google about it its your fault getting screwed, just like the 1060 3GB/6GB, but at least this is called 580 2048 SP you know it has less SP, while the 3GB 1060 doesnt mention it, still your fault for not checking the specs of what you buy, but yea i wouldnt say this is bad practice by AMD, but it is by Nvidia.

If this is only for OEM's it doesnt matter, if its for market with the same name thats is fucking retarded.

im sUcH a fAnBoi 

Another thread where AMD does something shitty and people defend them because they are AMD...

I wonder if people would have reacted the same way if it was Nvidia doing this. Oh wait, of course not. Nvidia are always the bad guys and AMD are always good and never does anything wrong. 9_9

3 hours ago, leadeater said:

Remember when ATI video cards has suffixes like Pro, GTO, XT, XTX etc? This could have easily been a RX 570 XT or something, sighhhhhhhhhhhh. 

They definitely should have called it "570 Fury MAXX". It would of sold off of nostalgia alone.

This is not new how it is for certain markets and where it's seen as fitting as well as known what it is. 

But whatever, I just want to see what ne top card they bring. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

12 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Another thread where AMD does something shitty and people defend them because they are AMD...

I wonder if people would have reacted the same way if it was Nvidia doing this. Oh wait, of course not. Nvidia are always the bad guys and AMD are always good and never does anything wrong. 9_9

I wouldnt expect you to say that but w/e.

Is AMD/Nvidia not allowed to release new card models if they have chips that didnt qualify for full model? in case of nvidia they branded 1060 3gb but also had lower shader count, thats misleading, AMD branded this card 580 2048 SP, so you know it has only 2048 shader procesors, wtf is wrong with people, do you feel theres too much negative nvidia/intel news that you feel like "HA AMD DOES IT TOO" moment? wtf, the op is wrong in his post and title.

I know 570 has 2048 SP as this new 580 2048 SP, but i dont think its a scam, unless the price for 580 2048 is the same as full 580 in which case people should buy the full 580 and they will sell zero 580 2048SP.

But im fanboi so my opinion is invalid /s

8 hours ago, unsubscribed said:

Same here.

(...)

Best of luck.

I suspect you didn't get the joke...

3 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Have you even read the thread? "People defend them"? Confirmation bias much?

If picking 1 or 2 posts over 3 pages is all you do, I can understand where the conclusion "this forum is flooded with AMD fanboys" comes from. However, I can find similar posts, for every company, in every thread with complaints against a company. And I mean every thread, no exceptions, no matter what the complaint is, or which company is getting the heat.

Unsurprisingly, of course, there would be some (partial) overlap between the people authoring those posts and the people claiming to see AMD/Intel/Nvidia/Apple/Nintendo/etc fanboys/haters everywhere... 9_9

What the heck even is that name

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1