AMD Confusing/Misleading Customers Again (570 Rebrand)

Curufinwe_wins
Go to solution Solved by LinusTech,
8 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

The first time AMD did this was with the Chinese-only RX 470D, with 1792 stream processors rather than the 470's 2048. Maybe that's what encouraged AMD to release more nerfed cards, like the 560D and this seemingly 580D, but why would they release a new 590 then? It's the exact the same item as what they already have, unlike the 470D and 560D which are different (minor, but something).

Wrong. The first time *I* got screwed over by AMD (though they were ATi at that point) and their loosey-goosey "guidelines" with respect to the branding of their GPUs was on a Radeon 9600. This appears to be a particularly egregious example of this behavior, but this bullshit has been happening for years and will likely never stop.

1 minute ago, DrMacintosh said:

Again, most consumers are not going to have to deal with this. Its a Chinese model and Nvidia has been doing the same thing of releasing cut down cards in China only with way more shady naming than AMD here. 

Its a non issue. 

Yes it's a non issue to rip off chinese consumers. They aren't even people either.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Just now, Curufinwe_wins said:

Yes it's a non issue to rip off chinese consumers. They aren't even people either.

It's going to take literally 2 minutes to do some research and figure out that the two cards are very different and perform different as well. 

I would like to think that people in China have the capacity to be put in an ounce of effort into researching what they are buying and are going to be able to notice that an RX 580 and an RX 580 2048SP are separate products. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

1 minute ago, DrMacintosh said:

It's going to take literally 2 minutes to do some research and figure out that the two cards are very different and perform different as well. 

I would like to think that people in China have the capacity to be put in an ounce of effort into researching what they are buying and are going to be able to notice that an RX 580 and an RX 580 2048SP are separate products. 

Except that this is first and foremost a OEM driven product. And I am very willing to bet most of them wont bother putting on the second part of the name. Just like many dont bother clarifying what 1060 variant or 1070 variant is being used.

In fact, that end goal is literally the only reason for this product to exist. It's a 570. That's all it is. The only reason for renaming this is the explicit and express goal of misleading the consumer in a "technically not illegal" way.

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

3 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Except that this is first and foremost a OEM driven product. And I am very willing to bet most of them wont bother putting on the second part of the name. Just like many dont bother clarifying what 1060 variant or 1070 variant is being used.

Then that's terrible practice on the part of the OEMs and you should be mad at them.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Then that's terrible practice on the part of the OEMs and you should be mad at them.

It is. And I am. I'm also particularly mad that there is literally no reason for this product to exist other than to enable that practice even further.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

It is. And I am. I'm also particularly mad that there is literally no reason for this product to exist other than to enable that practice even further.

They really should have called it a 575 or something like that but personally I don't feel it's the end of the world.  It is officially more than just "580", as it should be, and as I mentioned in my main post no the other page, this is probably the least egregious example of this we've seen in some time.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

3 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

They really should have called it a 575 or something like that but personally I don't feel it's the end of the world.  It is officially more than just "580", as it should be, and as I mentioned in my main post no the other page, this is probably the least egregious example of this we've seen in some time.

I think its the most egregious example in 5+ years. It's the first modern example we have of literally upselling a lower tiered existing product as the higher tiered existing product.

Not something between. Not some compromise. Blatant upselling.

Yes the performance deltas between some ddr3 and gddr5 mixes are higher than these. But this exists in a dramatically higher performance class than those.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

I think its the most egregious example in 5+ years. It's the first modern example we have of literally upselling a lower tiered existing product as the higher tiered existing product.

Really?  What about all these:

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-rx-560-specification-change,36049.html

https://www.techpowerup.com/242650/nvidia-sneaks-less-powerful-geforce-mx150-variant-into-ultrabooks?cp=3

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12614/nvidia-quietly-rolls-out-slower-lower-tdp-geforce-gt-1030-with-ddr4-vram

http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1060-6GB-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1060-3GB/3639vs3646

imo all of these are worse

5 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I've commented on 3/4 of those already. This is equivalent to AMD taking the 1060 3GB (having already been released), calling it the 1060 6GB 896 for the sole purpose that companies get to then call it the 1060 6GB and not be officially lying.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

1 minute ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

I've commented on all three of those already. This is equivalent to AMD taking the 1060 3GB, calling it the 1060 6GB 896 for the sole purpose that companies get to then call it the 1060 6GB and not be officially lying.

If that were the case I could be convinced that this is worse, or at least as bad as some of my examples, but I'm not sure it is.  How can you really say that is their sole intention with this card?

5 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

If that were the case I could be convinced that this is worse, or at least as bad as some of my examples, but I'm not sure it is.  How can you really say that is their sole intention with this card?

What other purpose can you think for releasing this card? We know its officially for OEM in China. Particularly things like computer cafes that market their specs as part of the experience. It has an effectively meaningless tiny upclock from the reference 570, and that is the only spec change.

20181015_214543.thumb.jpg.fdc968fd86a7187734110024c9b9d434.jpg

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

What other purpose can you possible think for releasing this card.

Hmmm it is clearly just a 570.  OK, I can definitely see where you're coming from now.  At least they had the decency to give it a unique name which is more than can be said about the 1030, mx150, and 560 examples, so I still don't think this is the worst case we've seen, but I'd put it nearly on par.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Hmmm it is clearly just a 570.  OK, I can definitely see where you're coming from now.  At least they had the decency to give it a unique name which is more than can be said about the 1030, mx150, and 560 examples, so I still don't think this is the worst case we've seen, but I'd put it nearly on par.

At least the 1030 and mx150 down

spec variants had the decency to be useful as much lower tdp cards (10W vs 25W). And honestly, I think it's a more offensive issue when looking higher in the market (1030 and mx150 not being really functional for gaming one way or another). I'll definitely be willing to take the 560 event as being equal +/-. The individual performance change is bigger and worse, but again higher up in market (and thus value change) is mainly why I think it is a bigger problem.

This crap is just so frustrating.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

12 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

4 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

At least the 1030 and mx150 down

spec variants had the decency to be useful as much lower tdp cards (10W vs 25W). And honestly, I think it's a more offensive issue when looking higher in the market (1030 and mx150 not being really functional for gaming one way or another). I'll definitely be willing to take the 560 event as being equal +/-. The individual performance change is bigger and worse, but again higher up in market (and thus value change) is mainly why I think it is a bigger problem.

This crap is just so frustrating.

Don't forget gtx 460 se 

Also think there was a 5k and 6k lower  end cards amd had 2 different vram cards too

1 hour ago, LinusTech said:

Wrong. The first time *I* got screwed over by AMD (though they were ATi at that point) and their loosey-goosey "guidelines" with respect to the branding of their GPUs was on a Radeon 9600. This appears to be a particularly egregious example of this behavior, but this bullshit has been happening for years and will likely never stop.

There was stuff like that going on before that with many major manufacturers.

The worst was the early DX9 Area though - and especially the Geforce 4 MX, with the lower end cards like Radeon 9600 but also (or especially) nVidia FX5200 and it doesn't seem that this has changed since then.

But I remember that there were some instances prior to that, also mostly lower end stuff like the Geforce 2 MX Series...

This shit was happening forever and this only seems to be for the Chinese market...

That doesn't make it better but when the Name is "RX580 2048", I don't see a big Problem...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

Couldn't even leave it at the same bandwidth, could they? What I want to know is what makes this not an RX 570.

CPU - Ryzen Threadripper 2950X | Motherboard - X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 14-13-13-21 | GPU - Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition | Case - Inwin 909 (Silver) | Storage - Samsung 950 Pro 500GB, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB, HGST DeskStar 6TB, WD Black 2TB | PSU - Corsair AX1600i | Display - DELL ULTRASHARP U3415W |

3 minutes ago, Carclis said:

Couldn't even leave it at the same bandwidth, could they? What I want to know is what makes this not an RX 570.

The name

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

The name

Well... Ya got me there!

CPU - Ryzen Threadripper 2950X | Motherboard - X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 14-13-13-21 | GPU - Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition | Case - Inwin 909 (Silver) | Storage - Samsung 950 Pro 500GB, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB, HGST DeskStar 6TB, WD Black 2TB | PSU - Corsair AX1600i | Display - DELL ULTRASHARP U3415W |

1 hour ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Yes the performance deltas between some ddr3 and gddr5 mixes are higher than these. But this exists in a dramatically higher performance class than those.

Maybe reviewers should start benchmarking the lowest performance variant to cover their bases if this is the way companies want to behave. If they want to call this an RX 580 then use this card for comparisons from now on. They might get the message when it starts making their cards look inferior to the competition.

Just now, Carclis said:

Maybe reviewers should start benchmarking the lowest performance variant to cover their bases if this is the way companies want to behave. If they want to call this an RX 580 then use this card for comparisons from now on. They might get the message when it starts making their cards look inferior to the competition.

That is actually an amusingly fair solution.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

and here i was planning an upgrade to ryzen and an rx580 because i'm so bored of intel and nvidia at this point :( 

and then amd does this... why?

She/Her

40 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

and here i was planning an upgrade to ryzen and an rx580 because i'm so bored of intel and nvidia at this point :( 

and then amd does this... why?

Because they are AMD,  same reason Nvidia and Intel do it , because they are Nvidia and Intel respectively.  

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

God damn it why can't companies make logical names? This should have been called the 575 or 570x or something like that, not the 580 nerfed edition -_-

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

They could just add a plus or minus symbol for every spec it does or doesn't have compared to the actual card it's pretending to be:

This one would be either a 580------   or a 570+

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.