I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't fix that - 2018 MacBook Pro and iMac Pro require Apple's diagnostics to be run for certain repairs

D13H4RD
13 minutes ago, Sniperfox47 said:

This doesn't apply to board level repair does it? I mean as long as it's board level and isn't an SMC issue, will it really affect Rossmann?

I think Rossmann does much more than just board repair

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

2 hours ago, NowakVulpix said:

Isn't this, like... illegal? At least in the US and EU?

Not really. Very few countries have right to repair laws in EU, but IIRC most have same kind of consumer protection laws as Finland because they are very close to what EU recommends. There's no right to repair but there's very strong fault responsibility. Like warranty is something the manufacturer gives as "bonus" and they are welcome to sell extended warranty, but that is a "pitfall" because if company gives 1 year normal warranty but sells up to 2 years extended warranty, then we can expect that the device should last in normal use at least that 2 years and by the law the normal warranty time is set to that. Also, by the law, manufacturers fault responsibility doesn't end when the warranty ends, actually that responsibility is at the peak right after the warranty ends so if the device is designed to break right after the warranty when used normally the seller/manufacturer must carry their responsibility. The seller has right to repair the faulty product to the full working condition or they must compensate to the customer (usually this means returning the moneys but they can also offer new similar device, but that is up to the customer do they take the tricycle or the money). Only thing in at least Finnish law about repairing products is that consumer can take their device to be repaired elsewhere and paid by the seller if the warranty repair would take too long (usual rule of thumb in courts have been 2 weeks - 2 months of repair time depending on the product and it's use) and it would cause significant harm to the consumer.

this is pretty anti consumer... mother fuck... 

but then again... this IS a security measure... 1938417082_ScreenShot2018-10-05at5_34_09PM.png.4af44bcfc27ef7664ea8a610a31873a4.png

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

29 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

I have a question. what does security have to do with replacing a display...?

The same way that a farmer has to drive two hours to be told it was a one time error in his tractor.

4 minutes ago, coasterghost said:

The same way that a farmer has to drive two hours to be told it was a one time error in his tractor.

you mean pay $1000 having his tractor flatbeded 300 miles to be told it was a $5 sensor anyone twit with a spanner could replace?

Sorry sir, but for security reasons only Authorized staff are allowed to plug that cable in. ?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I'm wondering too how this will affect things for people like me who buy 6-7 year old mac's used and then upgrade them. if in the future you can't just expand the storage or replace the battery that'll be really annoying. 

She/Her

Once again, what is this bs? 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Lous Rossman is going to have a field day on this one

Desktop:ryzen 5 3600 | MSI b45m bazooka | EVGA 650w Icoolermaster masterbox nr400 |16 gb ddr4  corsiar lpx| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070ti |500GB SSD+2TB SSHD, 2tb seagate barracuda [OS/games/mass storage] | HpZR240w 1440p led logitech g502 proteus spectrum| Coolermaster quick fire pro cherry mx  brown |

Apple recently sent a document to their Authorized Service Providers regarding the use of new proprietary software tools.

These tools have to be used when repairing "key parts" of iMacs and MacBooks or the system will become "inoperative" because of an "incomplete repair".

Looks like another saga in the iMac story. Apple's taking an even tighter grip on their product's repairing.

I found: https://www.theverge.com/2018/10/4/17938820/apple-macbook-pro-imac-pro-third-party-repair-lock-out-software

But OP is: https://www.macrumors.com/2018/10/04/t2-macs-must-pass-diagnostics-for-certain-repairs/

Also found: https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/yw9qk7/macbook-pro-software-locks-prevent-independent-repair and of course there are/will be others.

OS: Windows 10N -- CPU: Intel i7 8700k @ 4.9GHz -- CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 -- Mobo: Biostar Z370GT6 -- RAM: 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @2933MHz

GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 8GB FTW -- Case: Fractal Design Define R4 -- Storage1x 960GB Corsair MP510 SSD and 3x 1TB HDD -- PSU: Corsair RM 650x

Monitors: Acer 1440p144 + 1440p60 -- Keyboard: Leopold FC750R -- Mouse: Glorious Model O- -- Headphones: Beyer DT1990 + Schitt Fulla 3 Microphone Samson C01UPRO

It's nice to know I own a John Deere laptop

Thanks for sticking up for right to repair Apple. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Oh boy, Louis is gonna have a field day with this one.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Like someone else commented elsewhere, all Apple needs in the future to force obsolescence is to update this proprietary software of theirs to no longer support older devices and go "Aw, shucks! Your two years old laptop is technically fine, but our software doesn't support it anymore. Would you like to look at newer replacements?"

I don't know if Apple will ever go for that option, but.. well, it doesn't seem too far fetched, IMHO.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

1 minute ago, WereCatf said:

Like someone else commented elsewhere, all Apple needs in the future to force obsolescence is to update this proprietary software of theirs to no longer support older devices and go "Aw, shucks! Your two years old laptop is technically fine, but our software doesn't support it anymore. Would you like to look at newer replacements?"

I don't know if Apple will ever go for that option, but.. well, it doesn't seem too far fetched, IMHO.

Shhh, if that wasn't the plan then it probably now is.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

-threads merged-

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Can't wait to see this on techquickie

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

10 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Can't wait to see this on techquickie

I think Louis Rossmann would give you better coverage. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

I can't say that I'm surprised. Even with the right to repair movement slowly gaining ground, this is Apple's gigantic middle finger to every customer and 3rd party repair shop.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

-threads merged again-

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

13 minutes ago, Razor Blade said:

Even with the right to repair movement slowly gaining ground, this is Apple's gigantic middle finger to every customer and 3rd party repair shop.

Seems like it indeed.

I'd vote with my wallet, but I never bought Apple products to begin with.