Study suggests that Fortnite [and other games] tilts marriages, blamed in 1 in 20 divorce petitions in the UK

ZestyJalapeno

"The video game [among others] is apparently responsible for 5% of all divorce proceedings in the last 8 months" (n = 4665)

"Divorce Online have stated that the game was mentioned in divorce filings in over 200 hundred cases in the UK since the start of 2018, with a spokesperson for the company stating that "addiction to drugs, alcohol and gambling have often been cited as reasons for relationship breakdowns but the dawn of the digital revolution has introduced new addictions."

Emotional kid play video game

These numbers are quite worrying, because at the end of the day Fortnite is just a game, but tbh if a marriage breaks down and Fortnite is cited as the reason, the likelihood is that it was just a symptom of other, bigger problems underlying the partnership anyway.

Not a new phenomenon either, in 2010 the same website published a survey that video games were cited as the main cause for 15% of divorces. However until now I haven't seen a single game explicitly named, just video games in general

Also didn't know that 12 year olds can get married

I feel like the issue is not gaming or fortnite it self. My ex once set me the ultimatum to either do stuff that she wants and play what she plays or break up (one of the reasons I broke up). Well honestly if you cant respect my hobbies and interests and try to cage me in on what I can do and what not, then you are not welcome in my life. Not only because not respecting it but putting up ultimatums and getting toxic when I wasnt playing what she wanted. And I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one with this kind of issue in their relationship.

1 in 20 divorces in the UK claimed Fortnite as a reason?
I never knew child marriages were so prevalent in the UK. /s

Fortnite cited as reason for over 200 divorces in 2018

Research from Divorce Online has found that of the 4,665 divorce petitions received by them this year, 200 of them have cited Fortnite as the reason for their divorce.

https://www.standard.co.uk/lifestyle/dating/fortnite-divorce-rate-a3937076.html

But, of course like all media outlets these days, they are bending the truth quite substantially to get easy clicks off the "Fortnite" branding and you need to read the source of the information to get the true picture.

It has received 200 divorce petitions since January 1st 2018 where addiction to Fortnite and other online games has been cited as one of the reasons for divorce.

https://www.divorce-online.co.uk/blog/is-fortnite-becoming-a-relationship-wrecker/?porc=hmqwGxzvCCxGdbwpGupybvdeEmDcdbh

So it's not Fortnite specifically responsible for those 200 cases, but [excessive?] gaming in general which encompasses all video games that is listed as one of many reasons for why divorce proceedings were launched.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 minute ago, Spotty said:

But, of course like all media outlets these days, they are bending the truth quite substantially to get easy clicks off the "Fortnite" branding and you need to read the source of the information to get the true picture.

So it's not Fortnite specifically responsible for those 200 cases, but [excessive?] gaming in general which encompasses all video games that is listed as one of many reasons for why divorce proceedings were launched.

will edit 

why are divorces seen as a bad thing?

like i can see some exceptions, but generally it is the end of a bad relationship. 

31 minutes ago, Dogeystyle said:

Not a new phenomenon either, in 2010 the same website published a survey that video games were cited as the main cause for 15% of divorces. However until now I haven't seen a single game explicitly named, just video games in general

Eh, World of Warcraft and Runescape before it caused the same thing, so nothing new in that regards. Besides, people who were going to divorce anyways will find a reason to divorce over, one of the reasons being games is quite irrelevant. *shrug*

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

1 minute ago, WereCatf said:

Eh, World of Warcraft and Runescape before it caused the same thing, so nothing new in that regards. Besides, people who were going to divorce anyways will find a reason to divorce over, one of the reasons being games is quite irrelevant. *shrug*

That explains "buying gf" on runescape

5 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

That explains "buying gf" on runescape

I've never played Runescape, but that happened a lot in WoW on RP-servers at first, sometimes either resulting in a divorce or being the result of a divorce (guys looking for a rebound-girlfriend) The sad thing is, many of those people actually thought it could work like that; they figured that if you just shower a girl in-game with gifts (and possibly IRL-money, too) long enough, they'll fall in love with you. Obviously, such a thing has abysmally low chances of actually working and most of those in-game "girls" weren't really girls.

People can do some stupid shit just for some attention.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

it's addictive but come on it's not the games fault if people don't have self control.

Top tip: just keep the money for wife's shoes flowing and it should be fine

6 minutes ago, asus killer said:

Top tip: just keep the money for wife's shoes flowing and it should be fine

Pro tip: if your marriage is dependant on something like that, it's not worth sticking to it.

Just now, Deli said:

I bet you haven't gone through all the legal procedures of divorce. Consider yourself lucky.

must have been a really bad marriage if you want to go through the legal procedures then. 

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

must have been a really bad marriage if you want to go through the legal procedures then. 

You think divorce is as simple as breaking up with a girl friend??

2 minutes ago, Deli said:

You think divorce is as simple as breaking up with a girl friend??

nope, i know it isnt. like im saying that the end of a marriage isnt bad. there is a reason it ended. the breaking up part is a different thing. legal work involved and other disputes and so fourt.

i am well aware that marriage is different from a relationship

Haha, really though, for years and years already more and more people break marriages. Like every other in US fails. 

Don't put freaking blame on a game, without it it was as bad. People are just plain morons. 

These "studies" that sound like a school project 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

18 hours ago, Spotty said:

Wow that's some spectacular word bending. Games cause divorces? AHA, let's just get rid of the games bit and try to make it sound like it's just Fortnite. I really really don't like Fortnite, but weep for humanity ... clickbait is going to kill news.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

Let's be honest: if people end marriages because of fucking Fortnite, that marriage was poor quality at best.

Sincerely, someone who him and his boyfriend like to play Team Fortress 2 together

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

6 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Let's be honest: if people end marriages because of fucking Fortnite, that marriage was poor quality at best.

Sincerely, someone who him and his boyfriend like to play Team Fortress 2 together

Well as they say, if ya can't beat them eat them join them.

the eat them part is a reference to something the Pandarens in World of Warcraft say, though most people here are concerned with AAA games so they wouldn't get that reference anyways... smh

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

1 minute ago, pinksnowbirdie said:

Well as they say, if ya can't beat them eat them join them.

the eat them part is a reference to something the Pandarens in World of Warcraft say, though most people here are concerned with AAA games so they wouldn't get that reference anyways... smh

if ya can't beat them, yeet them

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Study

that's exaggerating it a bit.

Also as OP stated, if a marriage breaks down because of a video game, it was likely already on the way out

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

I've actually seen this first hand,  it wasn't the game that was the problem, it was the lack of communication and acceptance of peoples needs,  Other things that people blame are the project car, the boat, the spending every night at the pub (it's no different than spending every night on the computer).  Basically any hobby that people become fixated on to the point where they aren't talking to their significant other for hours of each day.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

14 minutes ago, mr moose said:

I've actually seen this first hand,  it wasn't the game that was the problem, it was the lack of communication and acceptance of peoples needs,  Other things that people blame are the project car, the boat, the spending every night at the pub (it's no different than spending every night on the computer).  Basically any hobby that people become fixated on to the point where they aren't talking to their significant other for hours of each day.

People that do that usually do so as to escape their environment, which probably means the marriage was long doomed even before they got addicted.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide