SUE ME! - Vizio TVs will advise you to sue Vizio

rcmaehl

Source:

Engadget
Tom's Guide

TL;DR:

Vizio TVs will be displaying notifications of a class action lawsuit against the company on affected SmartTVs.

Quotes/Excerpts:

Vizio smart TVs might display a strange notification in the near future, one telling you if the company collected and sold your data. Back in 2015...  Vizio installed software on its smart TVs that allowed it to track and sell your viewing habits to advertisers without explicit consent. A judge ruled back in 2017 that the company has to pay $2.2 million to settle. Vizio was supposed to reveal the details of the settlement... but court documents have revealed that it asked for an extension... To make sure that the smart TVs can display class action notices in a way that satisfies legal standards. You might find out if you were affected if a notification about the settlement pops up on your TV instead of in your mailbox. That could happen on or before October 3rd, depending on when Vizio wraps up its tests.

My Thoughts:
An interesting new way to inform users of a class action lawsuit. Generally you'd get a letter in the mail if you had registered the product, now potentially everyone who owns the TV will likely be entering into it. Having been in a couple class action lawsuits myself, it's likely they'll get 1/100th the potential damages per user. 

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

Okay... I don't know whether to be happy they are going to such lengths or sad that they sold me out before lol

Good thing i don't own any of their brands, not that a Sony TV was any better

You will probably get like $3 anyways. Don’t get your hopes up.

“Security is always excessive until it’s not enough.”

– Robbie Sinclair, Head of Security, NSW Australia 

“Have you tried turning it off and on again?” - Every Tech Rep Ever

If you need help with your build please tag me.

Main PC:

CPU: Ryzen 3 1300x RAM: 8gb ddr4 2666 MT/s Mobo: ASRock A320M HDD: 1tb WD GPU: Gtx 1050ti 4gb

Spoiler

P.s. if you can tell me what reference my location I will follow you. 

Bonus points if you can tell me the names of the people there. 

3 minutes ago, I-r0k said:

You will probably get like $3 anyways. Don’t get your hopes up.

Yep. If they expect $100,000, you should expect $100. If they expect $100, you should expect $1. I have NEVER seen a class action pay out money anywhere near the expect amount. If they offer something physical instead of monetary, TAKE IT ALWAYS!

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

49 minutes ago, rcmaehl said:

Yep. If they expect $100,000, you should expect $100. If they expect $100, you should expect $1. I have NEVER seen a class action pay out money anywhere near the expect amount. If they offer something physical instead of monetary, TAKE IT ALWAYS!

The money is always split between all those in the lawsuit that's why it's always a fraction of what's advertised.  The only one to really profit is the firm that brought up the suit. 

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

6 minutes ago, Amazonsucks said:

Never understood why people buy from shitty off brands like TCL or Vizio.

Because it's cheap. Look at amazon, best selling TV's are from TCL for a reason, and that reason is not because they are really good.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Yeah! Stick it to the man! Tell em to go buy your viewing habits from Google, Netflix, and your ISP like every other business! 

/s

Ryzen 7 2700x | MSI B450 Tomahawk | GTX 780 Windforce | 16GB 3200
Dell 3007WFP | 2xDell 2001FP | Logitech G710 | Logitech G710 | Team Wolf Void Ray | Strafe RGB MX Silent
iPhone 8 Plus ZTE Axon 7 | iPad Air 2 | Nvidia Shield Tablet 32gig LTE | Lenovo W700DS

7 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

Because it's cheap. Look at amazon, best selling TV's are from TCL for a reason, and that reason is not because they are really good.

Oh for a brief moment i forgot that i am part of a species that usually does the opposite of what every other species does to survive and thrive. Instead of the best things being popular, the worst often are. Look at amazon indeed! ?

1 hour ago, Amazonsucks said:

The other brands are doing the same... they just have bigger lawyers. xD

57 minutes ago, Amazonsucks said:

Vizio wasn't always crap. TCL is cheap and decent enough if you're not going to care too much about picture quality and feature set (the inbuilt Roku is a very good "starter" smart option).

That being said, the TCL I have now is eventually going to get replaced whenever I move out of this apartment.

1 minute ago, HarryNyquist said:

Vizio wasn't always crap.

Can vouch for this. I have two of the really old wedge style Vizios. My daughter has caused both to fall 4-5 feet dozens of times onto a tile floor and neither has suffered any damage.

1 hour ago, Amazonsucks said:

1 hour ago, samcool55 said:

16 minutes ago, HarryNyquist said:

Vizio wasn't always crap. TCL is cheap and decent enough if you're not going to care too much about picture quality and feature set (the inbuilt Roku is a very good "starter" smart option).

That being said, the TCL I have now is eventually going to get replaced whenever I move out of this apartment.

14 minutes ago, rcmaehl said:

Can vouch for this. I have two of the really old wedge style Vizios. My daughter has caused both to fall 4-5 feet dozens of times onto a tile floor and neither has suffered any damage.

love how people think that tcl is crap when they are highly recommended right now for their price and usually sold out

know many with tcl tvs and they are fabulous, considering getting a few myself, rtings have vizio and tcl models for best under 1k and 500

just because they are cheap doesnt not mean they arent worth it, with that logic you should never buy amd cpus,sandisk ssd, etc

Who has to pay the lawyers if a class action lawsuit fails? Does it happen regularly? Thanks

1 minute ago, Teddy07 said:

Who has to pay the lawyers if a class action lawsuit fails? Thanks

If they're smart they hired a lawyer that works on contingency.

2 hours ago, rcmaehl said:

If they're smart they hired a lawyer that works on contingency.

I am pretty sure the lawyer would prefer that as well as they can usually get a much bigger sum. 

It really irritates me that damages in class actions like this never amount to the actual damage to the customer.

Example: I actually got a check for the Nvidia GTX 970 I bought, a whopping $30. For what was, at the time, a $300 card. Why am I only entitled to one-tenth the price of the product I bought, for them completely lying about the performance capabilities of the product?

I know lawyers get a fee, but that should be tacked on to what the consumer gets, not taken out of. Companies need to be completely financially responsible in these situations.

"But Trik, those companies would go out of business!!!!@#!@!"

Well, then maybe they shouldn't pull shady bullshit that they aren't supposed to be pulling in the first place. Maybe this kind of threat would incline them to be less apt to engage in previously aforementioned bullshit.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

4 hours ago, pas008 said:

love how people think that tcl is crap when they are highly recommended right now for their price and usually sold out

know many with tcl tvs and they are fabulous, considering getting a few myself, rtings have vizio and tcl models for best under 1k and 500

just because they are cheap doesnt not mean they arent worth it, with that logic you should never buy amd cpus,sandisk ssd, etc

They list a Sony as the midrange model:

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best

I brought one last year for less than $800. However, this was before the F model had been introduced, so it is the E model. The F model was used to raise prices.

Lately, the TV has been used to watch the Donna Reed show. I have trouble imagining any of the high end features making much difference on a TV show from the 1950s. I only brought it because my household wanted a larger TV.

Vizio hate is funny.  I know TVs and picture quality.  This year I finally moved from my 8 Series 60" Samsung plasma...which now hangs in my bedroom.  I snagged a 75" Vizio M-series for just under $2k on closeout and it punches WAY above its pricepoint.  Full array, local dimming, 4k, HDR, etc.  OLED will be next, but this Vizio's picture is nothing to scoff at.

i9-9900k @ 5.1GHz || EVGA 3080 ti FTW3 EK Cooled || EVGA z390 Dark || G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 4000MHz C16

970 Pro 1tb || 860 Evo 2tb || BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 || EVGA P2 1200w || AOC Agon AG352UCG

Cooled by: Heatkiller || Hardware Labs || Bitspower || Noctua || EKWB

1 minute ago, TahoeDust said:

it punches WAY above its pricepoint.

Understatement.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

8 hours ago, Amazonsucks said:

Oh for a brief moment i forgot that i am part of a species that usually does the opposite of what every other species does to survive and thrive. Instead of the best things being popular, the worst often are. Look at amazon indeed! ?

Well, your obviously very biased in that. 

Worst though? No. It's a budget tv at a budget price and people like budget options over the best. I bought a 55' 4k TV for $190. Is it the best? Absolutely not. Does it look dang good for the price? Sure does. Am I satisfied and spent less than a 1/4 of a "best" 4k TV? Damn straight. 

Point being, best is very subjective. If it has a good price to performance ratio, that's good enough for most people. I, like most people would rather not spend my life savings for the best when I can get pretty close at a huge savings. 

Fanboys are the worst thing to happen to the tech community World. Chief among them are Apple fanboys. 

2 hours ago, TahoeDust said:

Vizio hate is funny.  I know TVs and picture quality.  This year I finally moved from my 8 Series 60" Samsung plasma...which now hangs in my bedroom.  I snagged a 75" Vizio M-series for just under $2k on closeout and it punches WAY above its pricepoint.  Full array, local dimming, 4k, HDR, etc.  OLED will be next, but this Vizio's picture is nothing to scoff at.

While they've had some duds over the years (and their decision to dump smart apps and use Chromecast as their "smart" option for a couple years was idiotic to an extreme) Vizio has generally been good at punching above their price point for a long time. They've lost the "best budget" title due to their prices going up and TCL taking over Vizio's former spot, but their sets still offer a pretty dang good value.

8 minutes ago, Derangel said:

(and their decision to dump smart apps and use Chromecast as their "smart" option for a couple years was idiotic to an extreme)

Not really. Having TVs from both camps, the Smartcast version, while being a shitty experience I wouldn't wish upon my enemies, is lightyears ahead of the Smart apps version.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

My TV will probably try to download the update to display the mesage and then fail.

2 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Not really. Having TVs from both camps, the Smartcast version, while being a shitty experience I wouldn't wish upon my enemies, is lightyears ahead of the Smart apps version.

I have an nVidia Shield TV android box that I use for my smart features.  It is a beast.

i9-9900k @ 5.1GHz || EVGA 3080 ti FTW3 EK Cooled || EVGA z390 Dark || G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 4000MHz C16

970 Pro 1tb || 860 Evo 2tb || BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 || EVGA P2 1200w || AOC Agon AG352UCG

Cooled by: Heatkiller || Hardware Labs || Bitspower || Noctua || EKWB