Celsius is a poor measurement system, Fight ME!

JZStudios

I'm bored. But Celsius is a pretty poor measurement system and there's always clowns telling people that it's better than Fahrenheit. Well let me tell you why you're wrong.

1. You're just simply used to Celsius. This whole argument really goes both ways.

2. It's arbitrary, and so is every other temperature scale. It's based on water but... why? What real relevance does that have?

3. Much like the metric system it's just not that accurate without going into "large" decimal values.

I mean, think about it. Why use the freezing and boiling point of water as the scale as opposed to something like the phase shift of Iron? There's a thing called the Delisle scale that places waters boiling point at zero and freezing at 150. It's based on the contraction of mercury. Celsius was they same way until they inverted the scale, of which Celsius the man used a Delisle scale.

Why don't we just use a scale where 0 is Earths average temperature and 100 is the suns average temperature?

#Muricaparrotgang

We probably don't do the 0-for-Earth's average temp and 100-for-the-Sun's average temp because decimal values are pathetic to deal with?

Both Celsius and Fahrenheit have practical uses, where I'd argue Celsius works best in testing environments and Fahrenheit working best in more practical environments, like going outside, for example.

None of the temperature scales makes any remote sense, but Celsius and Fahrenheit don't need a lot of decimals to deal with unless necessary.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

can you tell me how the Fahrenheit scale is better? Heres the thing, The large majority of the world uses C, and as such all major industries use it for measuring temperature.  

" Much like the metric system it's just not that accurate without going into "large" decimal values " Uhhh what? you dont say 0.01 millimeter, you say 10 micron.

The metric system scales WAY better than the imperial system ie 1000 meters is 1 kilometer. How many feet are in a mile? 5280. You say metric doesn't convert well but what the hell is that?

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Celsius is better because science. 

This has to go under religious debate, right?

I'm an American and I think the metric system makes more sense, just because it doesn't use seemingly random numbers like the imperial system. I also think that using Celcius is way easier for measuring computer temps because it's always a simple scale. 0C is good, 100C is bad.

Computer engineering grad student, cybersecurity researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

5 hours ago, thegreengamers said:

I'm an American and I think the metric system makes more sense, just because it doesn't use seemingly random numbers like the imperial system. I also think that using Celcius is way easier for measuring computer temps because it's always a simple scale. 0C is good, 100C is bad.

0 Celsius would cause a lot problems in computers. You don't want condensation.

7 hours ago, Rune said:

You're right. Kelvin is much better.

So Kelvin is basically just absolute zero, then uses Celsius from there. There's another unit called Rankine that starts at absolute zero then uses the Fahrenheit scale. Tit for tat.

6 hours ago, James Evens said:

Oh boy you still have a lot to learn.

Personal opinion: get your stuff right before trying to troll

I do? Is Celsius not based on water? Please enlighten, because as far as I've ever known 0 Celsius was freezing and 100 was boiling. But in all actuality, what real use does that have? The basis of most measurement systems in temperature are based on water, but why?

7 hours ago, bob345 said:

can you tell me how the Fahrenheit scale is better? Heres the thing, The large majority of the world uses C, and as such all major industries use it for measuring temperature.  

" Much like the metric system it's just not that accurate without going into "large" decimal values " Uhhh what? you dont say 0.01 millimeter, you say 10 micron.

The metric system scales WAY better than the imperial system ie 1000 meters is 1 kilometer. How many feet are in a mile? 5280. You say metric doesn't convert well but what the hell is that?

I didn't say Fahrenheit was better. Please point out where I led you to believe that. All I said was Celsius is silly and arbitrary.

7 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

We probably don't do the 0-for-Earth's average temp and 100-for-the-Sun's average temp because decimal values are pathetic to deal with?

Both Celsius and Fahrenheit have practical uses, where I'd argue Celsius works best in testing environments and Fahrenheit working best in more practical environments, like going outside, for example.

None of the temperature scales makes any remote sense, but Celsius and Fahrenheit don't need a lot of decimals to deal with unless necessary.

Agreed. Fahrenheit is a finer scale than Celsius and doesn't require as much decimals. Don't know how that makes Celsius a better scientific form of measurement though.

At the root of it all, all temperature scales can be converted quite easily from one to the other, so how is Celsius "better?"

#Muricaparrotgang

7 hours ago, JZStudios said:

I mean, think about it. Why use the freezing and boiling point of water as the scale as opposed to something like the phase shift of Iron?

because dihydrogen monoxide is the most important substance in the world.

There is nothing that comes close to its importance that we know of.

Besides that:
https://ark.intel.com/products/126686/Intel-Core-i7-8700-Processor-12M-Cache-up-to-4_60-GHz

Yeah, they are American. They use Celsius.

You have lost, Celsius is used more widely than Farenheit.

Besides that:
You'd want metric measurements in bras as well. Its also used by more people than the rest...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

I'm bored. But Celsius is a pretty poor measurement system and there's always clowns telling people that it's better than Fahrenheit. Well let me tell you why you're wrong.

1. You're just simply used to Celsius. This whole argument really goes both ways.

2. It's arbitrary, and so is every other temperature scale. It's based on water but... why? What real relevance does that have?

3. Much like the metric system it's just not that accurate without going into "large" decimal values.

I mean, think about it. Why use the freezing and boiling point of water as the scale as opposed to something like the phase shift of Iron? There's a thing called the Delisle scale that places waters boiling point at zero and freezing at 150. It's based on the contraction of mercury. Celsius was they same way until they inverted the scale, of which Celsius the man used a Delisle scale.

Why don't we just use a scale where 0 is Earths average temperature and 100 is the suns average temperature?

Have a good time drinking your cup of molten iron.

/drops mic.

Fun fact: the modern US measurement system is actually based on metric with exact conversion factors. So in effect, the US does use metric, in a backward-ass way.

This won't work because both will change over time. Granted the time scale is probably larger than we can comprehend but it's best not to use a system that changes continuously.

It's like why we're trying to get away from using a sphere of metal as the kilogram.

8 hours ago, JZStudios said:

Ignoring all the other points of the discussion, I can answer that one.

Because there is a need for a certain degree of practicality.

A scale where 0 is about 15 degrees (Celsius) and 100 is about 5.5k degrees is not practical because it's too small of a number to describe too much of difference.

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

Celsius is the temperature scale that makes the most sense for the widest range of values. Celsius provides manageable and practical numbers for most people

• It is easily translated to Kelvin for scientific uses as the intervals are the same.
  • Numbers are pretty manageable and you don't have a random number for the freezing point of water, it's 0 not 32 (Fahrenheit). Also water is a substance that everyone comes into contact with and its phase changes are some of those most often seen if not the most often.
  • The scale is practical because if you see a negative temperature in Celsius then you know there is a high chance of ice on the roads and pavements. 
  • Not to mention that most of the world uses Celsius and it's just confusing for everyone when Americans say it's 75 degrees outside when that's about 23 to 24 for everyone else.

|| CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (@3.9GHz) || Motherboard: ASUS Prime B350 Plus || Cooler: Arctic Freezer 33 eSports Edition || GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 SC || Memory: 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB C16 (@2933MHz) || SSD: SanDisk 128GB || HDD: WD Blue 2TB, Toshiba 2TB, Transcend 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM550x || Case: Fractal Design Focus G || Monitor: 2x AOC 23” I2369VM IPS Full HD, Samsung 32" LED TV Monitor || Mouse: Logitech G703 Wireless || Keyboard: Cooler Master MK750 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) || Speakers: Dell Stereo Speakers || Headphones: Sennheiser HD 4.40 BT / Samsung Galaxy Buds ||

2 hours ago, JZStudios said:

0 Celsius would cause a lot problems in computers. You don't want condensation.

Well of course. I'm implying that the closer a CPUs temperatures are to 0C and the further away they are from 100C, the better.

Computer engineering grad student, cybersecurity researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

really who cares, the problem is that almost the all world uses C and some crazy people use F and that creates problems like NASA losing a $125 million Mars orbiter because of a conversion error, in this case because they didn't use the metric system.

Celsius is just a really nice scale because it is accurate, between freezing and 100 being the boiling point of water, while Kelvin is used in the same integers, but based on the triple point of water and absolute zero. Fahrenheit is just dumb, but works. 

9 hours ago, Rune said:

You're right. Kelvin is much better.

Aw, thank you!

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

5 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

...wich is bascially Celsius minus 273...

Plus* 

22 minutes ago, fpo said:

Plus* 

0 Kelvin is -273°C

0°Celsius is 273K

??

22 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

0 Kelvin is -273°C

0°Celsius is 273K

??

I read it backwards 

1 minute ago, fpo said:

I read it backwards 

No Problem, happens.

TBH: I also had to look it up, before posting it :)

Does this count as politcal/religious debate?

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they