Celsius is a poor measurement system, Fight ME!

JZStudios
29 minutes ago, Blasteque said:

Repeat-ability is another matter.  Can I take your definition into a lab and reproduce the results?  0 C was defined as the temp at which ice melts, not water freezes (not that either is particularly ease to work with); this is very subjective to the observer.  100 C was defined as the boil point.  Both of these were set when it was believe that both these phase change points were relatively stable, homogeneous, and temp didn't change while the phase is changing.  Turns out, this isn't actually true (it's also dependent on ambient conditions, but it's assumed you somehow have this under control).  As a consequence, those set points really weren't a good idea if you want precision repeat-ability; they both vary too much.

I think if someone is trying to calibrate a thermal device with their eyes watching ice melt then they shouldn't be debating which measure is better.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

14 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

While in Celsius, 0 is chilly, 100 is dead.

And in Kelvin, 0 is dead, 100 is dead.

If you sit around naked in 0c you'll probably die from hypothermia eventually (esp if there's wind chill), 100c and you are literally boiling alive. Life exists at an exceptionally small range of temperatures compared to the contrast of the universe around us - hence kelvin for most grand-scale physics, celsius for weather and making tea.

59 minutes ago, Blasteque said:

As an engineer I prefer the SI system because of how it handles mass and weight.

If anything, mass is currently the most arbitrary unit of measurement of the other metric units because a kilogram is based on a physical object. And scientists have discovered that when comparing that physical object along with copies of it, they're diverging.

14 hours ago, DimasRMDO said:

image.png.c3a7704465fed501a9ae4cef1933645c.png

Celcius just does the 10-20-30-40-50 thing for temperatures that are cold/warm/hot, then for food 70-80-100 (boiling or warming etc). It's like Fahrenheit but divide it a little. :P

17 hours ago, manikyath said:

in short, Imperial is more relate-able for common joe looking at the weather outside, Metric makes more sense to scientists, engineers, and other people who actually need those measurements.

Any temperature told to me in F I have literally no fucking clue, at all, none lol. Can't highlight that more than with that, I have never used anything other than metric in my life. Might as well tell me it's 3.7 cats outside, just as good as telling me in F without also handing me a calculator and the conversion formula.

I have no idea why people even try and debate this stuff, the actually serious people, because you will only ever want to use the thing you have used for your entire life.

4 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Might as well tell me it's 3.7 cats outside

If we're using the often used 101.2 F, that would be about 375 F. Well above water's boiling point and the most common oven setting. 

Do you want your sunburn rare or well-done? 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

1 minute ago, valdyrgramr said:

high 60-75ish = room temp thus too hot, 76-84 is fucking hot, anything over 84 = plz kill me now.

Give me a room that's 62-66 F and I'll be a-okay! Seriously, I might even wear socks and a shirt! 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

14 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

32 degrees F= snow time, dropping into the 20s and below is cold as fuck for most, mid 30s-mid 60s is like various levels of cold, high 60-75ish = room temp, 76-84 is warm/hotish, 85-102 is fucking hot,  anything over 102 = plz kill me now.

0 = bloody cold

10 = cold

20 = warm

30 = hot

40 = bloody hot

100 = get out of the oven fool

I like the argument that Louis Rossmann uses. Fahrenheit is more fine and has more accuracy without having to go into multi decimal places, meaning its easier to give an accurate temperature reading without using fractions of a degree. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

10 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

I like the argument that Louis Rossmann uses. Fahrenheit is more fine and has more accuracy without having to go into multi decimal places, meaning its easier to give an accurate temperature reading without using fractions of a degree. 

I mean, nobody's stopping you from using centicelcius :3

On 8/25/2018 at 10:48 PM, CUDAcores89 said:

I sexually identify as a celcius 

celcius did nothing wrong!

5 hours ago, valdyrgramr said:

0C = 32F aka snow time, 10C = 50F, 20C = 68F, 30C = 86F, 40C = 104F, and 100C = 212F.

You may as well be throwing darts at aboard or yelling at a dog. Those numbers make no sense.

Division by 12? Rounded numbers? Counting on a hand? None of it in F. ;)

7 minutes ago, TechyBen said:

You may as well be throwing darts at aboard or yelling at a dog. Those numbers make no sense.

Division by 12? Rounded numbers? Counting on a hand? None of it in F. ;)

If I look at it backwards in a mirror and pray to the sun gods I might be able to figure out what temperatures in F mean, or just give up and go outside and find out through the good old "what does it feel like test".

3 hours ago, valdyrgramr said:

Well, 32 year olds are losers.  10 year olds make fun of 50 year olds with childish over the hill jokes.  20 year olds want to add 1 for an immature joke.  30 year olds feel like they're 86.  40 year old's feel 104.  And lastly, I would 100 percent take a 212 evo if I can't get a decent deal on an h7.

What on earth are you talking about? Those numbers you used are all rounded off... you literally chose base 10 numbers between 1 and 100 (then jumped up to a car at 212 which is a label, not a measurement)... or had bias for even numbers. Basically all the arguments for Celcius. Like, none of those numbers you gave are arbitrary like Fahrenheit. xD

You just broke your own argument. :P

Do y'all know that initially the Celsius scale was the wrong way round? It used to say 0C as boiling point of water and 100C as melting point when Anders Celsius initially created it. This was done to avoid negative numbers as the temperature in Celsius' country routinely dropped below zero. It was later reversed by Jean-Pierre Christin.

10 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

If we're using the often used 101.2 F, that would be about 375 F.

101.2F=375F?

Image result for does not computer

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

9 minutes ago, Jtalk4456 said:

101.2F=375F?

Image result for does not computer

Average body temp of cats is 101.2. 

101.2 times 3.XX is approximately 325. Thus @leadeater's desire of cat temp would be 325 at 3.XX cats.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Well for the most part I’d say Celsius and Kelvin are better units for measuring temperature because most science experiments/topics use Celsius or Kelvin and scientific journals use the two. There’s a reason why the ideal gas constant is: 0.0821 L•atm/mol•K

See the lack of imperial system of measurement? Decimals (metric) are easier than fractions (imperial). 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

16 hours ago, Drak3 said:

While in Celsius, 0 is chilly, 100 is dead.

And in Kelvin, 0 is dead, 100 is dead.

Well at 0 K, all matter will cease to exist. At that temperature, even electrons will stop spinning. Scientists however have managed to reach few nanokelvins above absolute zero. http://news.mit.edu/2003/cooling

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

As someone who lives in a place where the temperature ranges from -45c to 45c (with wind chill and humidity) I find celsius easier to use because its basically a balanced scale. The middle is where society says its unacceptable to wear shorts, and is also when school starts getting cancelled so

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

15 hours ago, leadeater said:

Any temperature told to me in F I have literally no fucking clue, at all, none lol. Can't highlight that more than with that, I have never used anything other than metric in my life. Might as well tell me it's 3.7 cats outside, just as good as telling me in F without also handing me a calculator and the conversion formula.

I have no idea why people even try and debate this stuff, the actually serious people, because you will only ever want to use the thing you have used for your entire life.

3.7 cats... thats just unbearable. :P

19 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

If anything, mass is currently the most arbitrary unit of measurement of the other metric units because a kilogram is based on a physical object. And scientists have discovered that when comparing that physical object along with copies of it, they're diverging.

Yes; how the kilogram is defined continues to be a problem (the whole polished silicon spheres fiasco from a few years ago).  Counting atoms is a great plan for precision, but achieving it is another matter.  (My comment about SI was referring to the clarity of units: in imperial it's easy to accidentally interchange mass and weight.)

4 hours ago, captain_to_fire said:

Well at 0 K, all matter will cease to exist. At that temperature, even electrons will stop spinning. Scientists however have managed to reach few nanokelvins above absolute zero. http://news.mit.edu/2003/cooling

I don't think that's true, given quantum mechanics shenanigans (from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absolute_zero)

The laws of thermodynamics indicate that absolute zero cannot be reached using only thermodynamic means, because the temperature of the substance being cooled approaches the temperature of the cooling agent asymptotically,[4] and a system at absolute zero still possesses quantum mechanical zero-point energy, the energy of its ground state at absolute zero. The kinetic energy of the ground state cannot be removed.

Just now, Blasteque said:

(My comment about SI was referring to the clarity of units: in imperial it's easy to accidentally interchange mass and weight.)

That's true, but that seems less of an issue since people rarely talk about force outside of physics and if you're doing serious physics, you're probably using metric anyway. Hopefully.

The one that's really annoying is ounces because it can refer to two entirely different things.

5 hours ago, The_Tron said:

Do y'all know that initially the Celsius scale was the wrong way round? It used to say 0C as boiling point of water and 100C as melting point when Anders Celsius initially created it. This was done to avoid negative numbers as the temperature in Celsius' country routinely dropped below zero. It was later reversed by Jean-Pierre Christin.

That's fine. I could live with that. -200 for lead melting point. :P