Celsius is a poor measurement system, Fight ME!

JZStudios

What';s next? 

PC > Mac?? 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

25 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

What';s next? 

PC > Mac?? 

Whopper > Big Mac 

11 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

because dihydrogen monoxide is the most important substance in the world.

There is nothing that comes close to its importance that we know of.

Besides that:
https://ark.intel.com/products/126686/Intel-Core-i7-8700-Processor-12M-Cache-up-to-4_60-GHz

Yeah, they are American. They use Celsius.

You have lost, Celsius is used more widely than Farenheit.

Besides that:
You'd want metric measurements in bras as well. Its also used by more people than the rest...

I'll agree it's important, but it's still an arbitrary scale for measurements of temperature. Again, I link the Delisle scale that just has boiling point at 150. What's the real difference?

It's more widely used, but that doesn't make it the "right" choice. Just makes it the most popular. Let's make this religious now. :P The majority of the world is religious, but good luck telling an Atheist their in the wrong because the majority does it.

And what does bra sizes have to do with anything?

11 hours ago, TechyBen said:

Have a good time drinking your cup of molten iron.

/drops mic.

Why would I need to drink molten iron? My glass of water would be the same temperature.

/picks up free mic.

11 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Fun fact: the modern US measurement system is actually based on metric with exact conversion factors. So in effect, the US does use metric, in a backward-ass way.

This won't work because both will change over time. Granted the time scale is probably larger than we can comprehend but it's best not to use a system that changes continuously.

It's like why we're trying to get away from using a sphere of metal as the kilogram.

I had heard about moving away from the sphere as the kilogram. Realistically all forms are measurement are arbitrary, just standardized.

11 hours ago, Inversion said:

Celsius is the temperature scale that makes the most sense for the widest range of values. Celsius provides manageable and practical numbers for most people

• It is easily translated to Kelvin for scientific uses as the intervals are the same.
  • Numbers are pretty manageable and you don't have a random number for the freezing point of water, it's 0 not 32 (Fahrenheit). Also water is a substance that everyone comes into contact with and its phase changes are some of those most often seen if not the most often.
  • The scale is practical because if you see a negative temperature in Celsius then you know there is a high chance of ice on the roads and pavements. 
  • Not to mention that most of the world uses Celsius and it's just confusing for everyone when Americans say it's 75 degrees outside when that's about 23 to 24 for everyone else.

It's like you people don't read my posts. You all just seem very upset that I called Celsius silly. Kelvin is Celsius, just starting at a lower point. There's also Rankine, which is Fahrenheit, which starts at absolute zero just like Kelvin.

9 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

Celsius is just a really nice scale because it is accurate, between freezing and 100 being the boiling point of water, while Kelvin is used in the same integers, but based on the triple point of water and absolute zero. Fahrenheit is just dumb, but works. 

But why does the boiling and freezing point of water matter at all

Don't you dare tell me that setting Fahrenheits zero to brine and 96 to the human body temperature is dumb! Why wouldn't that make sense?

#Muricaparrotgang

1 minute ago, JZStudios said:

Why would I need to drink molten iron? My glass of water would be the same temperature.

You asked why restrict a measurement point to boiling water. You asked "why not molten iron". I ask. Are you drinking molten iron? Because I'm having a cuppa! :D

Just now, TechyBen said:

You asked why restrict a measurement point to boiling water. You asked "why not molten iron". I ask. Are you drinking molten iron? Because I'm having a cuppa! :D

But the water would be the same. It would just be negative... couple hundred degrees Iron. Do you actively know EXACTLY what temperature your drinks are at at any given point in time? Celsius, Kelvin, Fahrenheit, Rankine or Iron? I get it's a joke, but it's not a very good one.

#Muricaparrotgang

2 minutes ago, JZStudios said:

I had heard about moving away from the sphere as the kilogram. Realistically all forms are measurement are arbitrary, just standardized.

It may be arbitrary to select something over another thing, but most of the measurement units we use today are either based on a universal constant or something that has such an extremely high level of certainty that it may as well be a constant.

3 minutes ago, JZStudios said:

But the water would be the same. It would just be negative... couple hundred degrees Iron. Do you actively know EXACTLY what temperature your drinks are at at any given point in time? Celsius, Kelvin, Fahrenheit, Rankine or Iron? I get it's a joke, but it's not a very good one.

Do you know what iron melts at? Why choose iron?

We have to make a choice. It is impossible not to. To ask "why do we choose" is wrong. To ask "why this or that" is fine. You asked "why water?", my reply is "tea/coffee". You said "why not molten iron", I say "ok, but do you drink it?"... do you use molten iron? If not, why do you want to *know* it's reference point on a temperature scale?

I can pretty much guarantee you have used something to boil water in your lifetime. However, I doubt you have personally worked with iron or metal, or melted it in a furnace. So why would you use it as a scale to check temperature?

Anyone who complains about Fahrenheit doesn't understand why it exists, or why it's a better measurement for humans in daily scenarios compared to Celsius.

18 hours ago, CUDAcores89 said:

I sexually identify as a celcius 

Image result for celsius tales of symphonia

Good choice! I approve!

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Also to point out another argument against setting a temperature scale between the earth's average temperature to the sun's: too many variables:

• How often are you going to take measurements?
  • What locations are you going to take measurements from?
  • How precise do you want those measurements taken area-wise?

This makes this scale way more arbitrary than just the two points alone.

2 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Anyone who complains about Fahrenheit doesn't understand why it exists, or why it's a better measurement for humans in daily scenarios compared to Celsius.

I jokingly like to say that US measurements for volumes are better for computers because they're in powers of two.

I prefer Fahrenheit for weather as it's more granular without being ridiculous. Anything for cooking, drinking, or measuring requires Celsius since there's a substance being compared with unlike Kelvin. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

11 hours ago, Inversion said:

Celsius is the temperature scale that makes the most sense for the widest range of values. Celsius provides manageable and practical numbers for most people

• It is easily translated to Kelvin for scientific uses as the intervals are the same.
  • Numbers are pretty manageable and you don't have a random number for the freezing point of water, it's 0 not 32 (Fahrenheit). Also water is a substance that everyone comes into contact with and its phase changes are some of those most often seen if not the most often.
  • The scale is practical because if you see a negative temperature in Celsius then you know there is a high chance of ice on the roads and pavements. 
  • Not to mention that most of the world uses Celsius and it's just confusing for everyone when Americans say it's 75 degrees outside when that's about 23 to 24 for everyone else.

but even negative F, icing is likely.  more likely than 0c to -3c

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

Celsius aside, I will defend the meter, and liter with passion.

The meter, within 0.006% accuracy, translates beautifully with the frequencies/wavelengths of EM radiation.

Example:

Frequency | Wavelength

3khz = 100km = 328'084 feet / 62.13712 miles

30khz = 10km = 32'808.4 feet / 6.213712 miles

300khz = 1km = 3'280.84 feet / 0.6213712 miles

3mhz = 100m  = 328.084 ft / 0.06213712 miles

30mhz = 10m = 32.8084 ft / 393.7 inches (miles too small at this point practically)

300mhz = 1m = 3.28084 ft / 39.37 in

3ghz = 100mm = 0.328084 ft / 3.937 in

30ghz = 10mm = 0.0328084 ft / 393 thou

300ghz = 1mm = 39 thou

3thz = 100μm = 4 thou

30thz = 10μm = N/A (imperial has no suitable scale for this length)

300thz = 1μm

(optical: 600thz)

3phz = 100nm

30phz = 10nm

300phz = 1nm

3ehz = 100pm

30ehz = 10pm

300ehz = 1pm

And of course, now that I have defended meters, I will defend liters simply by saying that 1L = 10cm3, and that 1L of water weighs 1kilogram.

In metric, length, volume and weight are all linked systems and use water / speed of light (almost, 0.006% off on that one) as a reference. It's just simply better than the confusing mess imperial is, not to mention covers a broader range of scale.

As for Celsius, well that is also relational to water, and as such fits in with the suite of other superior measurements. I also find arguments of "It needs more decimals than Fahrenheit" or "it's good because humans can just tell the difference between 1f, but 1c is too big!" to be a bit silly. Stand in a room of 20c and then move into a room of 20.5c, bet you won't be able to tell the difference without trying, or maybe not even with trying.

Also, brine is a complete crap base for a measure IMHO.

Also the fact that a brit can accept measures made by the french should show you how good it is too :P

1 hour ago, JZStudios said:

But why does the boiling and freezing point of water matter at all

Don't you dare tell me that setting Fahrenheits zero to brine and 96 to the human body temperature is dumb! Why wouldn't that make sense?

Water is the most ubiquitous substance on earth, and the substance which its triple point is at 1 atmosphere (i.e. normal pressure) and all of its three states are in equilibrium at 0.01 C, and so it makes the best substance for calibrating a thermometer. Fahrenheit cannot be calibrated this easily and accurately. 

On a practical level, 0C is easy to recreate and base measuring equipment off of.  Put some ice in a pail of water and stir it around, boom instant 0C

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

23 hours ago, JZStudios said:

I'm bored. But Celsius is a pretty poor measurement system and there's always clowns telling people that it's better than Fahrenheit. Well let me tell you why you're wrong.

1. You're just simply used to Celsius. This whole argument really goes both ways.

2. It's arbitrary, and so is every other temperature scale. It's based on water but... why? What real relevance does that have?

3. Much like the metric system it's just not that accurate without going into "large" decimal values.

I mean, think about it. Why use the freezing and boiling point of water as the scale as opposed to something like the phase shift of Iron? There's a thing called the Delisle scale that places waters boiling point at zero and freezing at 150. It's based on the contraction of mercury. Celsius was they same way until they inverted the scale, of which Celsius the man used a Delisle scale.

Why don't we just use a scale where 0 is Earths average temperature and 100 is the suns average temperature?

I use Kelvin. The absolute lack of thermal energy is 0 Kelvin in this system instead of negative hundreds something which makes more sense. I mean how can energy be negative? I haven't yet seen negative mass so I shouldn't see negative energy. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

3 hours ago, pipnina said:

Celsius aside, I will defend the meter, and liter with passion.

The meter, within 0.006% accuracy, translates beautifully with the frequencies/wavelengths of EM radiation.

Example:

Frequency | Wavelength

3khz = 100km = 328'084 feet / 62.13712 miles

30khz = 10km = 32'808.4 feet / 6.213712 miles

300khz = 1km = 3'280.84 feet / 0.6213712 miles

3mhz = 100m  = 328.084 ft / 0.06213712 miles

30mhz = 10m = 32.8084 ft / 393.7 inches (miles too small at this point practically)

300mhz = 1m = 3.28084 ft / 39.37 in

3ghz = 100mm = 0.328084 ft / 3.937 in

30ghz = 10mm = 0.0328084 ft / 393 thou

300ghz = 1mm = 39 thou

3thz = 100μm = 4 thou

30thz = 10μm = N/A (imperial has no suitable scale for this length)

300thz = 1μm

(optical: 600thz)

3phz = 100nm

30phz = 10nm

300phz = 1nm

3ehz = 100pm

30ehz = 10pm

300ehz = 1pm

And of course, now that I have defended meters, I will defend liters simply by saying that 1L = 10cm3, and that 1L of water weighs 1kilogram.

In metric, length, volume and weight are all linked systems and use water / speed of light (almost, 0.006% off on that one) as a reference. It's just simply better than the confusing mess imperial is, not to mention covers a broader range of scale.

As for Celsius, well that is also relational to water, and as such fits in with the suite of other superior measurements. I also find arguments of "It needs more decimals than Fahrenheit" or "it's good because humans can just tell the difference between 1f, but 1c is too big!" to be a bit silly. Stand in a room of 20c and then move into a room of 20.5c, bet you won't be able to tell the difference without trying, or maybe not even with trying.

Also, brine is a complete crap base for a measure IMHO.

Also the fact that a brit can accept measures made by the french should show you how good it is too :P

Metric is awesome because everything is in the powers of 10. You can actually do math with these and round to significant figures. 

Inches, feet, ounces, and pounds are stupid. 12 inches in one foot? What da bloody hell. Good luck putting that into scientific notation. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

8 hours ago, fpo said:

Whopper > Big Mac 

Quad Whopper or nothing.

IMG_0334.PNG.606fbc2f36184e50737021d7265c869c.PNG

This with pickles, lettuce, tomato, and onion.

Just now, Dylanc1500 said:

IMG_0334.PNG.606fbc2f36184e50737021d7265c869c.PNG

This with pickles, lettuce, tomato, and onion.

Where? All I see is diabeetus. 

17 hours ago, JZStudios said:

I didn't say Fahrenheit was better. Please point out where I led you to believe that. All I said was Celsius is silly and arbitrary.

Really dude?

On 8/25/2018 at 6:30 PM, JZStudios said:

there's always clowns telling people that it's better than Fahrenheit. Well let me tell you why you're wrong.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

6 minutes ago, fpo said:

Where? All I see is diabeetus. 

All Burger Kings in the U.S. have it. It's kind like the FEAST at subway they don't like making it, but it is still part of their menu.

1 minute ago, bob345 said:

Really dude?

Saying one is better than the other is not the same as saying that one is wrong for saying one is better than the other.

And JZ is right, Celsius is no better than Fahrenheit.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.