AMD wins Patent Infringement lawsuit against Vizio

AlTech

AMD has won a patent infringement lawsuit against the TV maker Vizio. Vizio and Sigma Designs allegedly infringed on three patents covering the basics of modern GPUs.

AMD has won a round in its legal battle against makers of TVs at the United States International Trade Commission (US ITC). The Commission found that Vizio and Sigma Designs have infringed one of AMD’s patents covering fundamental aspects of modern GPUs. The ITC ordered to cease imports of some of Vizio TVs to the U.S.

Back in early 2017, AMD filed a lawsuit with the US ITC against LG, MediaTek, Sigma Designs, and Vizio. The plaintiff accused the defendants of infringing three patents covering fundamental aspects of contemporary graphics processing, such unified shaders (‘133), parallel pipeline graphics system (‘506), as well as a graphics processing architecture employing unified shaders (‘454). Furthermore, the complaint referenced an in-progress patent application covering GPU architectures with unified shaders (‘967) and accused two of the said companies of infringing it as well. Meanwhile all the defendants license (or licensed) their GPU technologies from ARM and Imagination Technologies (though, as we reported back in early 2017, it looks like AMD only accuses SoCs based on ARM’s architecture of infringing its patents).

The patents relevant to the case feel like they are incredibly generic and so fundamental to modern graphics cards that it seems so silly for it to be patented. Honestly, the US patents system is so screwed up.

AMD doesn't deserve a win here because their "patents" in this case are so incredibly generic that literally any GPU made in the past 10 years probably infringes upon it.

Source: https://www.anandtech.com/show/13272/amd-wins-patent-infringement-order-against-vizio

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

AMD has won a patent infringement lawsuit against the TV maker Vizio. Vizio and Sigma Designs allegedly infringed on three patents covering the basics of modern GPUs.

The patents relevant to the case feel like they are incredibly generic and so fundamental to modern graphics cards that it seems so silly for it to be patented. Honestly, the US patents system is so screwed up.

AMD doesn't deserve a win here because their "patents" in this case are so incredibly generic that literally any GPU made in the past 10 years probably infringes upon it.

Source: https://www.anandtech.com/show/13272/amd-wins-patent-infringement-order-against-vizio

Its basically an apple vs samsung thing only it's in the GPU market instead of smartphone.

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

Current Rig (Dominator II): 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3133 C15, AMD Ryzen 3 1200 at 4GHz, Coolermaster MasterLiquid Lite 120, ASRock B450M Pro4, AMD R9 280X, 120GB TCSunBow SSD, 3TB Seagate ST3000DM001-9YN166 HSD, Corsair CX750M Grey Label, Windows 10 Pro, 2x CoolerMaster MasterFan Pro 120, Thermaltake Versa H18 Tempered Glass.

Previous Rig (Black Magic): 8GB DDR3 1600, AMD FX6300 OC'd to 4.5GHz, Zalman CNPS5X Performa, Asus M5A78L-M PLUS /USB3, GTX 950 SC (former, it blew my PCIe lane so now on mobo graphics which is Radeon HD 3000 Series), 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 7200RPM HDD, 3TB Seagate ST3000DM001-9YN166 HDD (secondary), Corsair CX750M, Windows 8.1 Pro, 2x 120mm Red LED fans, Deepcool SMARTER case

My secondary rig (The Oldie): 4GB DDR2 800, Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3GHz, Stock Dell Cooler, Foxconn 0RY007, AMD Radeon HD 5450, 250GB Samsung Spinpoint 7200RPM HDD, Antec HCG 400M 400W Semi Modular PSU, Windows 8.1 Pro, 80mm Cooler Master fan, Dell Inspiron 530 Case modded for better cable management. UPDATE: SPECS UPGRADED DUE TO CASEMOD, 8GB DDR2 800, AMD Phenom X4 9650, Zalman CNPS5X Performa, Biostar GF8200C M2+, AMD Radeon HD 7450 GDDR5 edition, Samsung Spinpoint 250GB 7200RPM HDD, Antec HCG 400M 400W Semi Modular PSU, Windows 8.1 Pro, 80mm Cooler Master fan, Dell Inspiron 530 Case modded for better cable management and support for non Dell boards.

Retired/Dead Rigs: The OG (retired) (First ever PC I used at 3 years old back in 2005) Current Specs: 2GB DDR2, Pentium M 770 @ 2.13GHz, 60GB IDE laptop HDD, ZorinOS 12 Ultimate x86. Originally 512mb DDR2, Pentium M 740 @ 1.73GHzm 60GB IDE laptop HDD and single boot XP Pro. The Craptop (dead), 2gb DDR3, Celeron n2840 @ 2.1GHz, 50GB eMMC chip, Windows 10 Pro. Nightrider (dead and cannibalized for Dominator II): Ryzen 3 1200, Gigabyte A320M HD2, 8GB DDR4, XFX Ghost Core Radeon HD 7770, 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 (2010), 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Corsair CX750M Green, Deepcool SMARTER, Windows 10 Home.

It wasn't generic, basic (relatively speaking), or fundemental when AMD patented these patents.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

7 minutes ago, ScratchCat said:

AMD invested money to develop the technology so they deserve to win the lawsuit regardless of if they did it 15+ years ago.

The two oldest patents are just about to be 15 years old (unified shaders and parallel pipelines), one is 7 years old (graphics architecture), and the other is still pending approval but was filed in 2016 (graphics architecture). Regardless, I don't think they should be invalidated just because they are widely used in modern graphics. That defeats the purpose of the patent.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

58 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Unlike proper patent trolls, AMD (or rather, ATI) legitimately had to come up with and implement those technologies at some point. If that then becomes a fundamental part of modern gpu architecture, that means its competitors need to license that technology - the same way AMD licenses patents from other companies. Like it or not, this is exactly how patent laws were meant to work; it's not a loophole or a vague interpretation. They invented it, they have the rights to it.

unified shaders (‘133), parallel pipeline graphics system (‘506), as well as a graphics processing architecture employing unified shaders (‘454)

These things were not trivial at some point.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

The Patent System. Where ideas are as valid for patenting as physical implementation.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

59 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

As many have said, they weren't generic and fundamental when they were patented.  Patents last a long time (20 years) because people want to protect their hard work and inventions.  Patents work as a way to protect creators from getting discredited and having their own stuff used against them.  If you knew that anything you invented would quickly be used to ruin you as an individual (or company), then would you even bother inventing anything?  Think about it.

1 hour ago, AluminiumTech said:

You do know that there can be more than one way to solve a problem, right?  Many generations of Intel CPUs were multithreaded before Ryzen came out, but did Intel sue AMD for implementing multithreading?  No!  Why?  Because AMD found another way to multithread!  Hyperthreading and Simultaneous Multi-Threading are two different ways to do the same thing.  On the surface, they're the same thing, but below the surface, they function quite differently.  The main difference is in AMD's Infinity Fabric technology.

So, your argument that "any GPU made in the past 10 years probably infringes upon it" is not very well thought through.  AMD, NVIDIA, Imagination, Intel, and the others all have their own approaches to graphics processing.  They can be similar, but as long as they aren't too similar, it's ok!  It's why NVIDIA has Pascal and Turing, while AMD has Polaris and Vega.  If everybody's solution was the same, then there'd at least be a lot more lawsuits.

Sorry for the mess!  My laptop just went ROG!

"THE ROGUE":  ASUS ROG Zephyrus G15 GA503QR (2021)

• Ryzen 9 5900HS
  • RTX 3070 Laptop GPU (80W)
  • 24GB DDR4-3200 (8+16)
  • 2TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial P2 NVMe (games)
  • 90Wh battery + 200W power brick
  • 15.6" 1440p 165Hz IPS Pantone display
  • Logitech G603 mouse + Logitech G733 headset

"Hex": Dell G7 7588 (2018)

• i7-8750H
  • GTX 1060 Max-Q
  • 16GB DDR4-2666
  • 1TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA (games)
  • 56Wh battery + 180W power brick
  • 15.6" 1080p 60Hz IPS display
  • Corsair Harpoon Wireless mouse + Corsair HS70 headset

"Mishiimin": Apple iMac 5K 27" (2017)

• i7-7700K
  • Radeon Pro 580 8GB (basically a desktop R9 390)
  • 16GB DDR4-2400
  • 2TB SSHD
  • 400W power supply (I think?)
  • 27" 5K 75Hz Retina display
  • Logitech G213 keyboard + Logitech G203 Prodigy mouse

Other tech: Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max 256GB in White, Sennheiser PXC 550-II, Razer Hammerhead earbuds, JBL Tune Flex earbuds, OontZ Angle 3 Ultra, Raspberry Pi 400, Logitech M510 mouse, Redragon S113 keyboard & mouse, Cherry MX Silent Red keyboard, Cooler Master Devastator II keyboard (not in use), Sennheiser HD4.40BT (not in use)

Retired tech: Apple iPhone XR 256GB in Product(RED), Apple iPhone SE 64GB in Space Grey (2016), iPod Nano 7th Gen in Product(RED), Logitech G533 headset, Logitech G930 headset, Apple AirPods Gen 2 and Gen 3

Trash bin (do not buy): Logitech G935 headset, Logitech G933 headset, Cooler Master Devastator II mouse, Razer Atheris mouse, Chinese off-brand earbuds, anything made by Skullcandy

1 hour ago, GoldenLag said:

Welcome to US courts

Coming up in 2019 the new iCourt® by Apple

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

All patents should die, its the number one killer of tech advancements and cheaper products, competition killer and so on.

All patents are tyranical in their nature.

Fuck copyrights and patents, and im very serious.

19 minutes ago, yian88 said:

All patents should die, its the number one killer of tech advancements and cheaper products, competition killer and so on.

No.

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

26 minutes ago, yian88 said:

Honestly, I think copyrights and patents should be protected so the creator of said content or patents can be rewarded for it. HOWEVER, I don't think they should be extended by lobbying Congress to extend these laws into bullshit territory, like what Disney does.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

48 minutes ago, yian88 said:

If all patents/copyrights died so would tech advancements, it's economics 101, no reward = no investment.  You wouldn't be enjoying 2018 technology without 18th century patents. In fact modern life as we know it would not exist because everything you enjoy from medicine through computers to cars and food were advanced by entrepreneurs looking to make a dollar. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 hour ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Honestly, I think copyrights and patents should be protected so the creator of said content or patents can be rewarded for it. HOWEVER, I don't think they should be extended by lobbying Congress to extend these laws into bullshit territory, like what Disney does.

Disney holds very few patents, and copyright is a very different topic.

Broadly speaking, I think the duration of patents is absolutely fine (perhaps even slightly too short in some cases), whereas the duration of copyright is far too long. On the other hand, a number of patent applications that should be rejected get approved. I just don't think these patents from AMD are that flimsy.

When it comes to this particular case, I'm just a little annoyed that AMD is going after third parties like Vizio. Vizio aren't really making GPUs that infringe on AMD patents, that stuff comes from people like Mediatek and ARM.

2 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

Disney holds very few patents, and copyright is a very different topic.

Broadly speaking, I think the duration of patents is absolutely fine (perhaps even slightly too short in some cases), whereas the duration of copyright is far too long. On the other hand, a number of patent applications that should be rejected get approved. I just don't think these patents from AMD are that flimsy.

When it comes to this particular case, I'm just a little annoyed that AMD is going after third parties like Vizio. Vizio aren't really making GPUs that infringe on AMD patents, that stuff comes from people like Mediatek and ARM.

My implication was that Disney lobbies to extend copyrights to insane lengths of time when they have no reason to other than greed.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

3 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

My implication was that Disney lobbies to extend copyrights to insane lengths of time when they have no reason to other than greed.

I absolutely agree. Just worth noting that hasn't happened for patents.

6 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

6 hours ago, Sakkura said:

I absolutely agree. Just worth noting that hasn't happened for patents.

Whilst I agree some copyright laws are way too long and art should not become commodities, they are effectively patents for creative works.  I am not too sure it is possible to decide just how long someone should/shouldn't own the rights to work they created.  I would prefer if copyright was registered to the original PERSON who created that work for their natural life (unless of course they sign it over to public domain). I don't like the idea of a corporation buying up all the rights to art and then holding an indefinite monopoly on creativity (there is only so much humans can create).

EDIT, 50 years might also be a reasonable time for copyright too as it is deemed O.K for conventional IP.   I don;t know, I think tartists would have to have more discussions on this (not corporations).

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

9 hours ago, aezakmi said:

Coming up in 2019 the new iCourt® by Apple

Well if people infringe on an Apple patent then they are opening up themselves for a lawsuit. If you don't infringe then you won't get sued. How the world works. 

5 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

Well if people infringe on an Apple patent then they are opening up themselves for a lawsuit. If you don't infringe then you won't get sued. How the world works. 

Sometimes apple can infringe, have the case heard and be found guilty then have the sentence overturned because... well...  apple. That's how the world works. Justice isn't always just.

Just now, mr moose said:

Sometimes apple can infringe, have the case heard and be found guilty then have the sentence overturned because... well...  apple. That's how the world works. Justice isn't always just.

Money to the right people helps a lot. 

10 hours ago, yian88 said:

How about you make a awesome product, and everyone starts to copy your idea then makes money off of it? How would you feel?

10 hours ago, yian88 said:

Try working on R&D and you'll get as to why they exist. Also, there's such a thing as patent cross licensing.

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

12 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

curiously enough this is how much of the "China is stealing our tech" argument goes (i didn't said always!) ;)

Tech imperialism