Ads On Netflix?

Crab Puncher
36 minutes ago, Firewrath9 said:

We pay for cable too. And there are a shit ton of ads.

I don't pay for cable. 

I've received these ads and it's not what people think. After an episode of a show, or movie, when the credits are playing and you normally get the "Play Next" screen where it counts down for 20 seconds, instead of seeing that black screen, you see a banner for another show/movie, not something you APPLY DIRECTLY TO THE FOREHEAD, possibly with a preview, that only plays during the same amount of time that you'd normally get the Next Episode counter.

You can still press play for the next episode at any time during it and when the counter finishes, it'll still go to the next episode.

Interrupting Netflix streaming by ads, will really cause people to freak out and to have various complaints. I, myself is reacting to this controversial new feature but as long as it is skippable, I think this is much okay than never. Because users are paying for the video content not on ads.

It's them trying to have their cake. Raising subscription prices. Then eat it. Get commercial revenues.

It is annoying.

My Rig "Valiant"  Intel® Core™ i7-5930 @3.5GHz ; Asus X99 DELUXE 3.1 ; Corsair H110i ; Corsair Dominator Platinium 64GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4 ; 2 x 6GB ASUS NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980 Ti Strix ; Corsair Obsidian Series 900D ; Samsung 950 Pro NVME + Samsung 850 Pro SATA + HDD Western Digital Black - 2TB ; Corsair AX1500i Professional 80 PLUS Titanium ; x3 Samsung S27D850T 27-Inch WQHD Monitor

3 hours ago, Maria Phene said:

Interrupting Netflix streaming by ads, will really cause people to freak out and to have various complaints. I, myself is reacting to this controversial new feature but as long as it is skippable, I think this is much okay than never. Because users are paying for the video content not on ads.

How long until they make the ads non skipable?

My Rig "Valiant"  Intel® Core™ i7-5930 @3.5GHz ; Asus X99 DELUXE 3.1 ; Corsair H110i ; Corsair Dominator Platinium 64GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4 ; 2 x 6GB ASUS NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980 Ti Strix ; Corsair Obsidian Series 900D ; Samsung 950 Pro NVME + Samsung 850 Pro SATA + HDD Western Digital Black - 2TB ; Corsair AX1500i Professional 80 PLUS Titanium ; x3 Samsung S27D850T 27-Inch WQHD Monitor

I'm fine with it as long as the ad content is platform related, so ads about new shows/films, old favourites that you might have missed etc.. and as long as they are skippable. Mu problem with youtube right now is the ads actually shown mid-stream, it's infuriating... I mean come on youtube, the ads before content is bad enough, and let's not forget the fact that I saw the SAME ads over and over again too, why can't they have some kind of flag to say you've seen such and such ad and skipped it because you weren't interested at least, and then auto skip it.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

I look at it this way: Netflix promised it would be better than cable TV, without annoying ads and ease of access with movies and shows.

Streaming giant Netflix has pledged that it will never feature advertising on its site and has no intention of entering the battle for live news and sports broadcasting.

"Our content is our crown jewel," said CEO Reed Hastings, speaking two days after the company won an Oscar for its Russian sports doping documentary Icarus and ahead of the release of the new series of Jessica Jones.

"It's up to us to take [subscribers'] money and turn it into great content for their viewing benefit.

I am paying for a service they promised would not run ads. They have increased the price of the service twice now, and no-one complained because it is still cheaper than Cable TV. 

American and Australian Netflix are two different entities of the same company in the sense that AU doesn't get the same amount of updates and shows as the US one. Which I am also content with.

However, the moment I feel like the payment to the service is misused and they start to bring in ads, is the moment that I leave Netflix and go to another streaming site.

If Netflix brings in advertisement, remember that it's because they need income to continue to licence and create content, maintain and expand servers, and keep the lights on while doing so.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

I'm totally okay with this.

14 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

It's not acceptable at all. We pay for this service already - when will people recognise having ads for a paid service is just money grabbing, as is paying for unreleased games and micro-transactions. It's just blatant.

You should take a second and look through what these "ads" are. This is not money grabbing at all. All the ads are for Netflix content, so if you choose to click on the ad and watch the movie or series, you've already paid Netflix even if you don't click on (or even see) the ad.

This is essentially their algorithm looking at your watch history, and recommending content that they think you will like. No algorithm is perfect, so sometimes there's gonna be stuff you're not interested in. But you may well find your next favourite series through the recommendations.

And yes, there's an actual recommendations section - but many people don't ever go into the recommendations section - for various reasons. By putting the ads in between episodes of a series, or after a movie, it encourages the user to try new things.

It's a win-win, especially since you can turn it off.

And to those saying it's a matter of time before they replace these with non-skippable ads or ads for third parties?

Well my friends, that's where you vote with your wallets, and cancel membership.

GUARANTEE YOU that if people start cancelling their memberships due to ads, Netflix will reverse that shit instantly. Why? Because they stand to make wayyyyyyyyyy more off of your monthly subscription then they do for whatever pittance they can get from ads.

12 hours ago, MyName13 said:

How do adless TV channels make money then?I meant WWW not internet.You can always switch to other streaming services.

Most ad free channels come in two flavours:

1. Premium paid-for channels - such as HBO - these have a separate - additional - monthly fee on top of your Cable subscription. They don't run ads because they collect a membership fee, just like Netflix does. HBO and the like are the Netflix of Cable TV.

2. Government subsidized channels - like PBS or BBC - these get funding, and are not expected to make a profit.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

I'm totally okay with this.

You should take a second and look through what these "ads" are. This is not money grabbing at all. All the ads are for Netflix content, so if you choose to click on the ad and watch the movie or series, you've already paid Netflix even if you don't click on (or even see) the ad.

This is essentially their algorithm looking at your watch history, and recommending content that they think you will like. No algorithm is perfect, so sometimes there's gonna be stuff you're not interested in. But you may well find your next favourite series through the recommendations.

And yes, there's an actual recommendations section - but many people don't ever go into the recommendations section - for various reasons. By putting the ads in between episodes of a series, or after a movie, it encourages the user to try new things.

It's a win-win, especially since you can turn it off.

And to those saying it's a matter of time before they replace these with non-skippable ads or ads for third parties?

More of a general rant to the trend. I suppose it’s just more or less like the trailers the show at the start of Movies at the cinema etc or at the Netflix splash screen.

9 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Online streaming is the new cable TV.

The only way to avoid ads now is, quite ironically, piracy.

I heard somewhere that Canada funds piracy.

3 hours ago, Netivity said:

I look at it this way: Netflix promised it would be better than cable TV, without annoying ads and ease of access with movies and shows.

The whole initial appeal of Netflix was that we didn't receive ads and all our content was on demand in one place. Now with the separation of content through more streaming services the whole appeal is lost. I don't want 4 or 5 streaming services, that's just counter-intuitive and now this is just another down side of streaming now and it was to so good a few years ago.

1 minute ago, ZacoAttaco said:

I heard somewhere that Canada funds piracy.

The whole initial appeal of Netflix was that we didn't receive ads and all our content was on demand in one place. Now with the separation of content through more streaming services the whole appeal is lost. I don't want 4 or 5 streaming services, that's just counter-intuitive and now this is just another down side of streaming now and it was to so good a few years ago.

I agree to an extent. I understand that the appeal was no ads etc, and I also understand that separation of content is a big thing, I just don't understand how a company can have segregation of content between different countries on the same platform, still raise their prices, and now say that they will launch ads to counter-act the promises they made a few years ago. That's just going back on the company's mission statement. 

If they are that shy on money, raise the prices and let people know, it is after all in their T&C within their rights to do so.

3 minutes ago, Netivity said:

I agree to an extent. I understand that the appeal was no ads etc, and I also understand that separation of content is a big thing, I just don't understand how a company can have segregation of content between different countries on the same platform, still raise their prices, and now say that they will launch ads to counter-act the promises they made a few years ago. That's just going back on the company's mission statement. 

If they are that shy on money, raise the prices and let people know, it is after all in their T&C within their rights to do so.

We Australians got stuffed pretty bad. Between Stan, Netflix, Amazon Prime and Foxtel Now. I think this is because Netflix was 'late to the party' here so companies like Foxtel and Stan had more time to create compelling competition whereas in the US Netflix came out of nowhere and snatched all the market share and rights to great content.

But I agree with you, we pay the same price for a far worse product in my opinion. For example Friends is on Netflix US last I checked, here however, Stan has the rights to it so it would be hard for Netflix to regain rights in Oceania market for the show. Even the Office US, one of the most popular shows, not available on Netflix AU but I believe it is on Stan.

Actually...now that I mention it...Stan seems to be more and more compelling an option. Especially since they have exclusive rights to the best sitcom: Seinfeld.

Somehow, Stan has all the US Netflix shows...

Just now, ZacoAttaco said:

We Australians got stuffed pretty bad. Between Stan, Netflix, Amazon Prime and Foxtel Now. I think this is because Netflix was 'late to the party' here so companies like Foxtel and Stan had more time to create compelling competition whereas in the US Netflix came out of nowhere and snatched all the market share and rights to great content.

But I agree with you, we pay the same price for a far worse product in my opinion. For example Friends is on Netflix US last I checked, here however, Stan has the rights to it so it would be hard for Netflix to regain rights in Oceania market for the show. Even the Office US, one of the most popular shows, not available on Netflix AU but I believe it is on Stan.

Actually...now that I mention it...Stan seems to be more and more compelling an option. Especially since they have exclusive rights to the best sitcom: Seinfeld.

Somehow, Stan has all the US Netflix shows...

Yeah mate definitely.

We got screwed worse than Wayne Bennett.

All in all though, I think Netflix should step up their game if they want to be mentioned as the "staple" of streaming network, and provide equality across the entirety of their so-called "Network" of entertainment. 

P.S - This is the ONLY time i'll ACTUALLY support "Equality".

Lol

22 hours ago, Firewrath9 said:

Mabye if its like a banner ad or really short, im fine. Any more than 5 secs and im going to somewhere else.

I personally can't stand banner ads on the content I'm watching.

9 hours ago, Drak3 said:

If Netflix brings in advertisement, remember that it's because they need income to continue to licence and create content, maintain and expand servers, and keep the lights on while doing so.

how much money did they lost last year?

To be honest, I'm having a hard time finding new shows I'd like to watch on Netflix. So if it's an ad for something on Netflix that I might like. Sure, go ahead. Otherwise.... not interested.

i pay for the standard plan (because me and my friend both use it), if it shows up on free plans thats understandable, any of the payed ones and i'm getting a hacked client that doesn't show ads as i pay for this service i shouldn't have to receive ads whatsoever! thats why i got it in the first place, access to pay TV shows without ads or other annoying methods!

it's dumb and i hope that Netflix will drop this for users who pay for the service. the free ones are understandable as you still have access to the content but you have significant draw backs like SD quality, no on the go watching, one user only, ads before movies and before and in-between eps of TV shows etc.

thats now the free plan could work and the paid ones don't have those draw backs at all!

*Insert Witty Signature here*

System Config: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Tncs9N

Hm, first you pay for stuff and then you still get serviced ads? Ähm, nee....

So maybe they should stop wasting money on "Hire of the Week" Horseshit or "comedians" that are as funny as cancer...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

3 hours ago, VanayadGaming said:

To be honest, I'm having a hard time finding new shows I'd like to watch on Netflix. So if it's an ad for something on Netflix that I might like. Sure, go ahead. Otherwise.... not interested.

the problem with netflix is that they wanted to remove the incentive to pirate, still they forgot one thing, the community that piracy sites gave you/give you. Just saying, forget the ads and create a community for people to discuss tv shows.

That and the market share they have in my opinion.