*snap* UK Internet speeds Don't Feel So Good - New Rules drop internet speeds by almost 50%

rcmaehl

Sources:
Mirror

Computer Weekly

TL;DR:

New UK advertising rules force marketing to display realistic average speeds compared to maximum "burst" speeds. Almost all companies have lowered their advertised speeds.

Quotes/Excerpts:

Providers have been forced to cut their advertised speeds following a recent rule change...deals dropping by an average 41%. Previously... allowed to advertise "up to" speeds... resulting in widespread complaints. Only Virgin Media's advertised speeds had gone up since the change. Households were paying for broadband services that were on average 51% slower than advertised.

The new rules, designed to bring more clarity to a market...mandating that an advertised speed must be available to 50% of customers at peak times. Customers will now have a much clearer idea of the speeds. UK’s 12 largest ISPs, advertised speeds had decreased by an average of 15%.

My Thoughts:
This is a good step forward. The US still uses UP TO speeds which can be wildly off, especially in more populated areas or if someone on your shared line is torrenting hard.

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

2 minutes ago, rcmaehl said:

Sources:
Mirror

Computer Weekly

TL;DR:

New UK advertising rules force marketing to display realistic average speeds compared to maximum "burst" speeds. Almost all companies have lowered their advertised speeds.

Quotes/Excerpts:

My Thoughts:
This is a good step forward. The US still uses UP TO speeds which can be wildly off, especially in more populated areas or if someone on your shared line is torrenting hard.

The internet in America is atrocious in my area

Spoiler

LTT's Fastest single core CineBench 11.5/15 score on air with i7-4790K on air

Main Rig

CPU: i7-4770K @ 4.3GHz 1.18v, Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Mark 2, RAM: 16 GB G.Skill Sniper Series @ 1866MHz, GPU: EVGA 980Ti Classified @ 1507/1977MHz , Storage: 500GB 850 EVO, WD Cavier Black/Blue 1TB+1TB,  Power Supply: Corsair HX 750W, Case: Fractal Design r4 Black Pearl w/ Window, OS: Windows 10 Home 64bit

Plex Server WIP

CPU: i5-3570K, Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: ASrock, Ram: 16GB, GPU: Intel igpu, Storage: 120GB Kingston SSD, 6TB WD Red, Powersupply: Corsair TX 750W, Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-01 OS: Windows 10

Lenovo Legion Laptop

CPU: i7-7700HQ, RAM: 8GB, GPU: 1050Ti 4GB, Storage: 500GB Crucial MX500, OS: Windows 10

3 minutes ago, rcmaehl said:

Sources:
Mirror

Computer Weekly

TL;DR:

Quotes/Excerpts:

My Thoughts:

Your title... I thought you meant actual speeds, not advertised speeds. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Just now, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Your title... I thought you meant actual speeds, not advertised speeds. 

Being misleading sells threads.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Just now, Dan Castellaneta said:

Being misleading sells threads.

Much like how misleading advertisements sell internet plans. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 

Very odd of VM to advertise averages that are higher than their advertised speeds. From experience, their speeds fluctuate wildly throughout the day/time of year. Also, there’s no telling how they got these averages.

When it comes to misleading speeds in the states I think the biggest offenders are mostly the DSL companies. I have seen first hand that they are normally far off what they advertise. Strangely enough the cable companies here are largely pretty spot on with what they are offering give or take 5-10%.

2 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Or how misleading titles sell YouTube videos.

Or misleading names lead to Google searches.

It's how the world works.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Mine is also UP TO 1Mb

I only get 512K, I'm paying for twice that speed.

3 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

I think the biggest offenders are mostly the DSL companies.

x2 and not just in the US

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

Checked with BT as to what the fastest speed is I can get in my area. It's spot on with the average speed.

image.png.d84de56db60a7dbd45c87f30557da1ca.png

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Canada also uses "up to" speed.

However, smaller ISPs, at least in my region and Videotron (a large cable ISP and cable TV service provider) tend to ensure that you reach or surpass a bit the marked speed, (although, for Videotron, their service is more on the costly side).

Australia brought in these laws a little while ago, and now all RSP's are advertising average consumer speed during peak.  It has been refreshing not hear thee outlandish BS they were promoting earlier. 

EDIT< although it is still funny to hear some of them claim to be on the fastest network when all RSP's in Australia use the same network.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 minute ago, GoodBytes said:

However, smaller ISPs, at least in my region and Videotron (a large cable ISP and cable TV service provider) tend to ensure that you reach or surpass a bit the marked speed, although their service is more on the costly side.

I'm getting 160, sometimes even 170 down on my 150 connection with Shaw. Same story with upload, it's always on par or above the advertised speed, sometimes up to a mb higher.

6 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

I'm getting 160, sometimes even 170 down on my 150 connection with Shaw. Same story with upload, it's always on par or above the advertised speed, sometimes up to a mb higher.

Real cool! We don't have Shaws Internet where I am, only TV via dish, if I am not mistaken.

31 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

ISP advertises "up to 100 mbps, unlimited data", but then sees the fine print about "fair use policy"... -_-

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

Huh, didn't even know that this was an issue in some countries. At home I pay for 100mb down and 20mb up, I get 98-99mb down and 19-20mb up, this is also really consistent, never have I seen a dip below 80mb down. I also got the same speeds for my phone's LTE and those occasionally dip quite a bit but that's because of reception strength.

In my opinion advertising up to speeds is just a shitty way to sell connections to people, so these new rules are certainly a step in the right direction.

If only this would happen with at least non NBN plans in Australia. Eg. ADSL2 advertised as up to its theoretical speeds, sold directly to me as being 9Mbps at most in my household, 9Mbps only being seen for exactly 3 months before it got throttled to 6-7Mbps (if it wasn't throttling, the speed wouldn't be consistent).

14 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Australia brought in these laws a little while ago, and now all RSP's are advertising average consumer speed during peak.  It has been refreshing not hear thee outlandish BS they were promoting earlier. 

EDIT< although it is still funny to hear some of them claim to be on the fastest network when all RSP's in Australia use the same network.

They actually are now? I thought they were only doing that with the NBN.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

23 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

However, smaller ISPs, at least in my region and Videotron (a large cable ISP and cable TV service provider) tend to ensure that you reach or surpass a bit the marked speed, although their service is more on the costly side.

Even the big guys have their shit (mostly) sorted.

7531265203.png

I pay Rogers for gigabit down and 30 up.

Laugh at the upload speed all you want, no one in my house uploads anything. I could twitch stream no problem 1080p60 fps at high bitrate. Used to be 50 up but they are working on DOCSIS 3.1 full rollout to enable up to symmetrical gigabit.

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

2 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Real cool! We don't have Shaws Internet where I am, only TV via dish, if I am not mistaken.

7531261599.png

Just searched that up and Shaw Direct appears to be a thing here as well? Interesting, never see them really advertise it over here. The last time I used dish TV was with Bell over 10 years ago... and well that was a mess. More than 50% of the day, there was no signal. 

40 minutes ago, KingCobra484 said:

Very odd of VM to advertise averages that are higher than their advertised speeds. From experience, their speeds fluctuate wildly throughout the day/time of year. Also, there’s no telling how they got these averages.

They got their stats from samknows. Would have liked to see "ofcom" but samknows does seem to be somewhat reputable? I mean Ofcom have used numbers provided from samknows before so surely there's some credibility in samknows.

Also, from what I've seen and heard, if you have one of their "unthrottled" connections, you get your normal speeds (maybe minus 10mbps, which makes no significant difference when you have 350 or 200mbps) during peak times. 

Edit: Here's the download speed averages from Ofcom's 2017 report.

image.png.aadd2c339b4a4f6a6fcc2c202c92f79e.png

Yep, its probably safe to assume Virgin are not BS-ing (at least in terms of peak speeds when its nice n quiet). 

P.S. Ofcom is the UK's regulatory body in regarding communications. They are "endorsed" by the government so generally, anything that comes from them will be completely objective and factual. 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

3 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

ISP advertises "up to 100 mbps, unlimited data", but then sees the fine print about "fair use policy"... -_-

What do they consider as "fair use"? I know most ISPs don't like you running websites or web servers off your home internet and that's honestly fair. 

2 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

If only this would happen with at least non NBN plans in Australia. Eg. ADSL2 advertised as up to its theoretical speeds, sold directly to me as being 9Mbps at most in my household, 9Mbps only being seen for exactly 3 months before it got throttled to 6-7Mbps (if it wasn't throttling, the speed wouldn't be consistent).

They actually are now? I thought they were only doing that with the NBN.

RSP's are on the NBN,  the others are still ISP's, sorry should have clarified that.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 minute ago, mr moose said:

RSP's are on the NBN,  the others are still ISP's, sorry should have clarified that.

So only ISP on the NBN aren't allowed to fuck customers. Great.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

2 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

So only ISP on the NBN aren't allowed to fuck customers. Great.

There are no ISP's on the NBN, if you are still on dial up or DSL then are using an ISP.  I am pretty sure consumer law still applies them, but for service providers on the NBN they are called RSP's and they are not allowed to promote upto speeds as far as I am aware.