iOS 12 Beta 5 has dual SIM card support

Source: https://9to5mac.com/2018/07/30/ios-12-dual-sim-support-future-iphones/

Summary:

In the iOS 12 Developer Beta 5, a component responsible of generating diagnostics, has a few codes of line referencing to a second SIM detection.

A component of the system responsible for the generation of diagnostic reports includes new references to “second SIM status” and a “second SIM tray status”. Another component references a “dual sim device”. Those references are clearly an indication that iOS is being updated to run in a future device with support for two SIM cards, as seen in the screenshot below. The mention of a “second sim tray” indicates it would in fact have two physical SIM cards instead of a regular one and an e-SIM as the second.

So Apple could possibly have the space inside an iPhone for a second sim slot? But not a micro SD card slot?

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

9 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

So Apple could possibly have the space inside an iPhone for a second sim slot? But not a micro SD card slot?

They want you to buy the larger cap iPhone.

This is even stranger considering the next iPhones are rumored to use eSim.

https://www.igeeksblog.com/esim-in-2018-iphone-12072018/

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

Now every fucking apple fanboy will say that apple was first to introduce 2 sim card phone. LOL Apple is late for about 18 years :D They wait for years and when everyone forgets about some tech then they make it in their phones LOL

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

I wonder if they'll support esim and regular (what is it called these days, micro/nano?) sim, therefore kinda dual sim? I'm sure it'd also be another £100 on the price :)

4 minutes ago, jt999 said:

I wonder if they'll support esim and regular (what is it called these days, micro/nano?) sim, therefore kinda dual sim? I'm sure it'd also be another £100 on the price :)

I’m thinking both. eSIM for US, et.al and regular nano SIM cards for use in Asia and other countries. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

I do not think this is for a second SIM slot, but rather for further integration - much like the sim card in the new Apple Watch. It would make sense to include a second SIM card slot, so you would have Apple's built-in SIM-card (much like the Apple Watch's sim card), as well as the option to go with a different carrier, as Apple's built-in SIM cards are not supported by all carriers. I doubt whether Apple will support both activated at the same time. 

However, as of late Apple has been gaining large traction in the Asian market, and Dual-Sim cards are very popular in China and the like, so this  (Two physical sim cards) would be an ideal feature if they wish to pursue that market further. 

4 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

Maybe a hybrid slot?

7 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

I do not think this is for a second SIM slot, but rather for further integration - much like the sim card in the new Apple Watch. It would make sense to include a second SIM card slot, so you would have Apple's built-in SIM-card (much like the Apple Watch's sim card), as well as the option to go with a different carrier, as Apple's built-in SIM cards are not supported by all carriers. I doubt whether Apple will support both activated at the same time. 

However, as of late Apple has been gaining large traction in the Asian market, and Dual-Sim cards are very popular in China and the like, so this  (Two physical sim cards) would be an ideal feature if they wish to pursue that market further. 

4 hours ago, JAKEBAB said:

Maybe a hybrid slot?

My guess would be a separate model in China that does have two SIM slots would be offered there. It wouldn't be a negative for Apple to add dual-SIM support in iOS 12 even if it's only in a specific market.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

8 hours ago, mate_mate91 said:

Now every fucking apple fanboy will say that apple was first to introduce 2 sim card phone. LOL Apple is late for about 18 years :D They wait for years and when everyone forgets about some tech then they make it in their phones LOL

I remember XiaoMi, or some other Chinese brand having 4-6 SIM slots, not sure what the size, could be all nanoSIM.

10 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

They have the space. They can make the phone 1mm thicker and shove a bigger battery in. I don't think anyone who wasn't a snob would enjoy that a lot. Headphone jack too maybe?!? 

10 hours ago, CommandMan7 said:

This is even stranger considering the next iPhones are rumored to use eSim.

https://www.igeeksblog.com/esim-in-2018-iphone-12072018/

makes me think eSim + one slot for another carrier or if you just dont want to use the eSim

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

10 hours ago, mate_mate91 said:

Lets debate about what people say once they say it, ok? 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

7 hours ago, JAKEBAB said:

Maybe a hybrid slot?

No, Apple is not adding expandable storage to the iPhone. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Just now, DrMacintosh said:

No, Apple is not adding expandable storage to the iPhone. 

Most phones on the Android side don't have expandable storage either. It's a trend that's dying out.

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

More than likely we will see the iPhone adopt what the iPad has been doing for years with its eSim. The logic board will have a built in sim card and the traditional sim card slot will be able to accept another one. 

Traditionally Apples marketing has always been that you get more band support with the iPhone but I guess people who travel often would rather just have another sim card to plop into their phones. 

2 hours ago, arnavvr said:

Most phones on the Android side don't have expandable storage either. It's a trend that's dying out.

Most being only the small number of flagships (which are mostly designed after iPhones)?

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

14 hours ago, mate_mate91 said:

Where have people say that? In fact, where do people say this shit at all? I really wanna know where you guys get all these "HURR DURRR LOOK APPLE PEOPLE STOOOPID THEY DONT KNOW THIS PHONE DID IT BEFORE THE SHITTY IPHONE HURR DURRR"

It wouldn't surprise me to be honest. At least here in Australia, iPhones are very popular for enterprise, I guess because people are familiar with them. I'm surprised Apple hasn't released an enterprise specific model of these devices that aren't available to the general public that support features like Dual-SIM and more control software for the company to monitor. Hoping this rumor is true but with the rumors of e-SIM it makes me skeptical. :dry: Anyway nice find OP.

>room for second SIM
>no room for mSD
>no room for headphone jack

Seems legit.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

1 minute ago, tmcclelland455 said:

>room for second SIM
>no room for mSD
>no room for headphone jack

Seems legit.

Could be wrong...but I don't think they've ever said no room for MicroSD...they just won't do it. xD It's against their philosophy.