Thieves Steal $27K Worth of Devices From California Apple Store

AlTech

12 hours ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

I remember seeing that on the news a few days ago. Still amazed how people just stood there (blocking the exit, though not doing a good job at it), instead of grabbing the kids. 

12 hours ago, Bobdude81 said:

WOW all those people and no one knocks them out they just stand there and smile like morons

Easy to say. 

WOW all those people and no one knocks them out they just stand there and smile like morons

It's the safest thing to do when no one's physically in danger.  Trying to stop someone from stealing something might change that.  The thing you need to remember is you don't know what has motivated these guys to do this, it is a very safe bet they are not in a place to consider their actions rationally and are likely running on adrenaline.  There are cameras so the safest thing to do is let them go and let the authorities catch up with them later.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Absolutely idiotic, they won't be able to sell them because they will be remotely blocked (not to mention they were probably damaged in the "heist") and their faces are on camera, with dozens of witnesses. They'll get caught and they'll spend half a decade in prison.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Trying to knock them out is the best way to get them to pull a knife on you... you don't know if they are armed and they aren't threatening anyone, attacking them is the absolute worst you could do.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

LMAO, well it is apple, gonna break withing a few months and gonna get returned. easy method to recover the stock.

The Beast

i7-8700k@ 5.2ghz ,Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 7 LGA1151,32gb G.skill Ripjaw 5 DDR4 2800, GTX1080ti Founders Edition, 3x 512gb Samsung 950 Evo M.2,Corsair 750w Gold+

What surprises me, they only have one camera angle covering the store? I mean this isn't exacly a diamond store but if I own such a store I'd want full coverage from the entrance in HD.

4 hours ago, Amazonsucks said:

So if it says $27k worth retail, the actual value is about $50 because of Apple's markup on their junk hardware.

Apple takes a very lax approach to loss prevention because every apple product sold covers the cost to replace at least five stolen ones. Their continued brand image and store experience of holier-than-thou is worth way more than a few stolen macbooks. They don’t lock anything down, they just report it, eat the cost, and move on.

18 hours ago, r2724r16 said:

lol, they say all that stuff robbed is worth $27,000 but in reality is probably worth way less.

Wait they stole 4 computer? 

29 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Wait they stole 4 computer? 

Looking at the video, they stole 8 laptops.

19 hours ago, Bobdude81 said:

They must be thinking like: "Wow holy shit! They must really love iDevices! Let them enjoy the goods, will ya!"

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

My condolences for the store for losing 4, maybe 5 items from the shelves.

On 7/13/2018 at 5:25 PM, AluminiumTech said:

Thieves have stolen $27K worth of Apple Devices from an Apple Store in Fresno, California.

hmm seems like a lot of trouble for an iMac...

Bolivia.

On 7/13/2018 at 7:41 PM, Taf the Ghost said:

Dissonance Shock. Happens to everyone when you're in a safe space & not being hyper aware of your situation. (Home Invasions work on the same principle.) 30-60s is how long it takes for most people to come to grips with the sudden environment change. These robberies have actually been pretty well thought out for how to do them.

This is such a foreign concept to me. To me there is no such thing as a safe space... Though it does explain the behavior of the people in the video. Plus it is in California...in an Apple store...the chances of someone being defensively armed (either with weapon or knowledge) is probably zero.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

#Kensington

You heard of that name??  multi f*%^&n billion dollar company? arrogance.

Details separate people.

On 7/13/2018 at 7:00 PM, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

As a first responder who has dealt with all sorts of people, I beg to differ. 

Let's risk our physical integrity for 25$ gift cards from Apple.

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

20 minutes ago, Raskolnikov said:

Let's risk our physical integrity for 25$ gift cards from Apple.

The problem isn't about putting yourself in danger...those people were already in danger. There were operators with ill intent...who is to say what their intent was. Being submissive to a criminal is not going to guarantee safety.

Of course it will vary with EVERY situation...

In a situation like that it was just a fast grab and go. I understand not engaging the thieves. What I don't understand is all those  people standing there dumbstruck like "Duh...what? How? Where?". If you notice, there were a couple people that the fight or flight response kicked in and they bolted for the exit...at least there were some that listened to instinct...

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

45 minutes ago, Razor Blade said:

This is such a foreign concept to me. To me there is no such thing as a safe space... Though it does explain the behavior of the people in the video. Plus it is in California...in an Apple store...the chances of someone being defensively armed (either with weapon or knowledge) is probably zero.

Beyond just that. Even good situational awareness wouldn't have really changed much. Unarmed thieves have an advantage in that regard. Pop a hoodie up and go. They never threatened anyone there, so most would simply be in a Dissonance Shock for a 30s or so. Long enough no one would do anything. 

As I said, it was a pretty well planned theft. I'm also somewhat floored that Apple Stores don't have any tethers on their products. That just makes something like this fairly easy to exploit.

3 minutes ago, Razor Blade said:

The problem isn't about putting yourself in danger...those people were already in danger. There were operators with ill intent...who is to say what their intent was. Being submissive to a criminal is not going to guarantee safety.

Of course it will vary with EVERY situation...

In a situation like that it was just a fast grab and go. I understand not engaging the thieves. What I don't understand is all those  people standing there dumbstruck like "Duh...what? How? Where?". If you notice, there were a couple people that the fight or flight response kicked in and they bolted for the exit...at least there were some that listened to instinct...

If they had brandished weapons, the response would have been instantly different from the crowd. The Grab & Go tactic works here because that isn't the crowd's property and they don't see anything life threatening. For most people, you'll get a bit of time before they catch up. It's a bit like seeing a sudden car crash in front of you.

Even if those stolen devices are not safe to be used online, they are still worth a lot in as salvage/donor hardware in the repair market: displays, SSD storage and other proprietary components, since Apple charges arm and leg for those too.

52 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

If they had brandished weapons, the response would have been instantly different from the crowd. The Grab & Go tactic works here because that isn't the crowd's property and they don't see anything life threatening. For most people, you'll get a bit of time before they catch up. It's a bit like seeing a sudden car crash in front of you.

I have to disagree. Unless the thieves directly threatened someone I don't think the reaction would have been different...and as someone who had witnessed a serious car crash right in front of them it took me all of half a second to react. As soon as I could make sure people were stopping and it was safe to approach the vehicles I immediately ran over to help. Emergency services were called and once I verified everyone was conscious and stable, that nobody had bad lacerations or punctures that needed immediate first aid, and any with injuries were not moved unnecessarily until EMT could arrive. I just helped direct traffic around the crash until the police arrived to take control of the situation.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

3 hours ago, Tech_Dreamer said:

arrogance.

and partially:

On 14-7-2018 at 6:47 PM, Christophe Corazza said:

Apple takes a very lax approach to loss prevention because every apple product sold covers the cost to replace at least five stolen ones. Their continued brand image and store experience of holier-than-thou is worth way more than a few stolen macbooks. They don’t lock anything down, they just report it, eat the cost, and move on.

they have a little wire hooked up to them. an alarm will ring. they were quick. anyways all phones/macs have an apple ID and they are all BIOS locked (Macbooks) with a special image OS from apple. they could probably sell them for parts maybe get 5k. ( I used to work at an apple store ) 

Why do I feel that this happens a lot?

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

14 hours ago, Razor Blade said:

I have to disagree. Unless the thieves directly threatened someone I don't think the reaction would have been different...and as someone who had witnessed a serious car crash right in front of them it took me all of half a second to react. As soon as I could make sure people were stopping and it was safe to approach the vehicles I immediately ran over to help. Emergency services were called and once I verified everyone was conscious and stable, that nobody had bad lacerations or punctures that needed immediate first aid, and any with injuries were not moved unnecessarily until EMT could arrive. I just helped direct traffic around the crash until the police arrived to take control of the situation.

As someone who has been in a serious car crash (our car flipped over), it took almost 2 minutes for someone to actually step out and check instead of taking a picture of it, and I suspect at least 30-60 seconds for someone to dial 911. I don't think many people would step in for this robbery.