Thieves Steal $27K Worth of Devices From California Apple Store

AlTech
4 hours ago, Shreyas1 said:

Why do I feel that this happens a lot?

If money is involved, you get such a result. Nothing new.

It's not exclusive for Apple products in particular. Apple gets more media coverage, so therefore you'll hear it more often in the media.

On 7/14/2018 at 12:43 PM, Christophe Corazza said:

What surprises me, they only have one camera angle covering the store? I mean this isn't exacly a diamond store but if I own such a store I'd want full coverage from the entrance in HD.

Maybe the overlords at Apple won't let them use PCs at all in their stores, even for the security system. And i can image trying to get a proper business surveillance system running and backing up using only Apple hardware would be a nightmare. (I mean what else could be a valid excuse when literally ever other device in that store has a better camera then the surveillance cameras camera that took that video.)

Main Rig: cpu: Intel 6600k OC @ 4.5Ghz; gpu: Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 2080 (OC'd); mb: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3; ram: 16 GB (2x8GB) 3000 G.Skill Ripjaws V; psu: EVGA 650BQ; storage: 500GB Samsung 850 evo, 2TB WD Black; case: Cooler Master HAF 912; cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Lots of fans, Air!; display: 4k Samsung 42" TV, Asus MX259H 1080p audio: Schiit Audio Magni Amp w/ Audio Technica M50x

2 hours ago, EarthWormJM2 said:

Maybe the overlords at Apple won't let them use PCs at all in their stores, even for the security system.

Can you imagine an Apple store with Windows computers running behind the scenes :PxD

On 7/15/2018 at 9:49 AM, Razor Blade said:

I have to disagree. Unless the thieves directly threatened someone I don't think the reaction would have been different...and as someone who had witnessed a serious car crash right in front of them it took me all of half a second to react. As soon as I could make sure people were stopping and it was safe to approach the vehicles I immediately ran over to help. Emergency services were called and once I verified everyone was conscious and stable, that nobody had bad lacerations or punctures that needed immediate first aid, and any with injuries were not moved unnecessarily until EMT could arrive. I just helped direct traffic around the crash until the police arrived to take control of the situation.

Different people respond in different ways. Some people get the deer in headlights reaction to something like this while others react instinctively. To criticise there reactions is kinda dumb seeing as it's not a conscious decision they made but rather innate. 

Wow! These guys are crazy...lol! Just curious, are there no security inside the store? Or in the entrance perhaps, so they could be stopped before running away. One more thing, why are the gadgets unprotected? There should a least be any connector to prevent the gadgets from being taken away just like that! Oh man!

I bought an Iphone 4 on ebay with damage on the back that shows it was from the apple store.

39 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Different people respond in different ways. Some people get the deer in headlights reaction to something like this while others react instinctively. To criticise there reactions is kinda dumb seeing as it's not a conscious decision they made but rather innate. 

There has been some studies (actual scientific ones) of putting real people in a setup situation and most people will do nothing. Very few seems to instinctively act on the situation. Punishing a person for not reacting is just wrong.   

2 hours ago, mynameisjuan said:

Punishing a person for not reacting is just wrong.   

Indeed, totally agree with that.

You ofthen also hear people talk about how they would have reacted in such a situation... that they would have stopped the thieve, tackled him to the ground and so on... That's just some plain old bulls**t. Nobody knows how they will react under stressy fight or flight situation.

3 minutes ago, Christophe Corazza said:

Indeed, totally agree with that.

You ofthen also hear people talk about how they would have reacted in such a situation... that they would have stopped the thieve, tackled him to the ground and so on... That's just some plain old bulls**t. Nobody knows how they will react under stressy fight or flight situation.

And its not even every situation. I have been a few serious situations and the first 2 I reacted and helped, the third I completely locked up not knowing what to do, I tried to do something but just couldnt. It was the most frightening feeling in the world almost like sleep paralysis 

11 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

And its not even every situation. I have been a few serious situations and the first 2 I reacted and helped, the third I completely locked up not knowing what to do, I tried to do something but just couldnt. It was the most frightening feeling in the world almost like sleep paralysis 

Indeed, whether or not you're going to do something totally depends on so many factors...

And it is not that, if you've reacted in a previous situation, that you'll do the same in a new one.

On 13/07/2018 at 11:32 PM, Bobdude81 said:

WOW all those people and no one knocks them out they just stand there and smile like morons

Having worked at apple, you are expilictly told to do this, to never try to stop and theives unless they are endangering someone else in the store, just call the authorities. A friend I worked with grabbed someone steailing a drone from a display, and was fired due to it being a breach of company policy

7 hours ago, Trippik said:

Having worked at apple, you are expilictly told to do this, to never try to stop and theives unless they are endangering someone else in the store, just call the authorities. A friend I worked with grabbed someone steailing a drone from a display, and was fired due to it being a breach of company policy

That's not only the policy with Apple, but also at other stores as well. Employees are asked not to intervene and simply to "cooperate".

However, firing someone sounds a bit excessive to me though...

On 17/07/2018 at 10:01 PM, Christophe Corazza said:

That's not only the policy with Apple, but also at other stores as well. Employees are asked not to intervene and simply to "cooperate".

However, firing someone sounds a bit excessive to me though...

I know, they are a real stickler for certain violations though, and he'd had a couple of warnings before

It's a damn shame. Who do they think they are stealing 11 devices? That's at least a $16k loss to apple. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch