Pew Pew! China releases "Laser Assault Rifle" with a range of ~1KM

55 minutes ago, Christophe Corazza said:

However, I would still like to see it though... :)

Well when they hit up your shores...you'll see it then.

Or maybe not. Lazers and all that.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

2 minutes ago, Christophe Corazza said:

Nah... you (the UK) have got our back, no? ;)

Would the UK, of all countries, having your back be considered a good thing?

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

meh, can't even kill.

Now a Tesla gun, that's where the future is. 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

31 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

How could you possibly know what works against these weapons? 

Physics.

\\ QUIET AUDIO WORKSTATION //

5960X 3.7GHz @ 0.983V / ASUS X99-A USB3.1      

32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 & 2667MHz @ 1.2V

AMD R9 Fury X

256GB SM961 + 1TB Samsung 850 Evo  

Cooler Master Silencio 652S (soon Calyos NSG S0 ^^)              

Noctua NH-D15 / 3x NF-S12A                 

Seasonic PRIME Titanium 750W        

Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum / Logitech G900

2x Samsung S24E650BW 16:10  / Adam A7X / Fractal Axe Fx 2 Mark I

Windows 7 Ultimate

4K GAMING/EMULATION RIG

Xeon X5670 4.2Ghz (200BCLK) @ ~1.38V / Asus P6X58D Premium

12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz

Gainward GTX 1080 Golden Sample

Intel 535 Series 240 GB + San Disk SSD Plus 512GB

Corsair Crystal 570X

Noctua NH-S12 

Be Quiet Dark Rock 11 650W

Logitech K830

Xbox One Wireless Controller

Logitech Z623 Speakers/Subwoofer

Windows 10 Pro

3 hours ago, SammyG13 said:

I swear I got a virus just from all the ads on cnet

I thought you were joking, and then I turned off Ublock, and promptly turned it back on and ran Malwarebytes. Its like I was thrown in to the mid 2000s when banner ads didn't know if they were to be  from professional companies, or "call 1800 for some nudes".

Space Journal #1: So Apparently i  was dropped on the moon like i'm a mars rover, in a matter of hours i have found the transformers on the dark side of the moon. Turns out its not that dark since dem robots are filled with lights, i waved hi to the Russians on the space station, turns out all those stories about space finding humans instead of the other way around is true(soviet Russia joke). They threw me some Heineken beer and I've been sitting staring at the people of this forum and earth since. 

1 hour ago, Vode said:

Mirrors don‘t work against high power lasers.

Yeah, really white armor would be the best thing correct? And it has to get rid of the heat quick, with no black burn marks.

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

3 hours ago, Kukielka said:

Uhm, doesn't that new weapon stand in conflict with the geneva convention?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convention_on_Certain_Conventional_Weapons#Protocol_IV:_Blinding_Laser_Weapons

Only if it is used only for blinding the enemy. It's ok to kill them (sarcasm intentional).

3 hours ago, Kukielka said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_parties_to_the_Convention_on_Certain_Conventional_Weapons

China signed all 5 Parts of the convention on September 14, 1981.

Since when does China not ever break treaties?

My first thought after reading the topic was Tom Swift and His Electric Rifle, then Buck Rogers (yeah, I'm giving my age away).

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

1 hour ago, Vode said:

Mirrors don‘t work against high power lasers.

Depends on the mirror, available cooling, and wavelength of the laser.

In any case expect this thing to be near useless unless connected to a hardpoint power source and fired at either short range or kept on target with some sort of stand.

2 hours ago, LAwLz said:

The problem with laser weapons in the past has been it takes a long time focusing on a small area before enough heat had been built up for it to be harmful. 

How long time does it take before this weapons deals any damage? 

Assuming the SCMP article is correct, near instant carbonization of clothing and skin. Apparently it's "magazine" or battery is capable of providing 1000 two-second laser pulses.

They also apparently have a functioning Gatling Laser.

Chengdu Hengan Police Equipment Manufacturing company, a major hardware supplier for Chinese law enforcement agencies, also released a laser “machine gun” last month.

The weapon has a range of 500 metres and it can fire several hundred shots per charge, according to the company’s product brochure.

Don't mind me everyone, just gonna start getting my bunker ready, then again I might be dead by 2077.

See you all in West Virginia or some shit.

Spoiler

latest?cb=20170119054847

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

1 hour ago, Orangeator said:

Yeah, really white armor would be the best thing correct? And it has to get rid of the heat quick, with no black burn marks.

It really depends on the strengh of the laser but past at a certain point no mirror will be able to protect against it. 

Mirrors never can reflect the full 100% of energy and once the energy not being able to be reflected reaches the threshold of being able to damage the mirror it‘s over.

The stronger the laser the more impractical it becomes to defend against it. Which is a scary reality. But it applies to other weapons too.

The laser in the OP is probably not that strong but it really shows how scary laser weapons are. Especially since they are silent and invisible.

AMD R9 Fury X

Windows 7 Ultimate

4K GAMING/EMULATION RIG

Corsair Crystal 570X

Noctua NH-S12 

Logitech K830

Windows 10 Pro

1 hour ago, ravenshrike said:

Depends on the mirror, available cooling, and wavelength of the laser.

In any case expect this thing to be near useless unless connected to a hardpoint power source and fired at either short range or kept on target with some sort of stand.

I agree. Was just trying to show that a mirror (or reflective matiral) is not the counter most people assume it is.

The laser weapons are also impractical thankfully. 

AMD R9 Fury X

Windows 7 Ultimate

4K GAMING/EMULATION RIG

Corsair Crystal 570X

Noctua NH-S12 

Logitech K830

Windows 10 Pro

I'm curious about it's effectiveness in unideal conditions.  ie: through a window, fog, exc.

Uh no just no, if you do the math, it just is not fucking possible with the said specs. This is not real news, nothing about this is real. 

5 minutes ago, Spongy141 said:

Uh no just no, if you do the math, it just is not fucking possible with the said specs. This is not real news, nothing about this is real. 

While it does seem unlikely, the article from SCMP appears to say these are being rolled out rather soon. Remember that China likely has the second most advanced military technology on earth, things that are not yet even public knowledge.

Really, I think everyone should read the SCMP article as the CNET one is just a scrape of the clickbait details from said SCMP article.

AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

1 minute ago, Swatson said:

While it does seem unlikely, the article from SCMP appears to say these are being rolled out rather soon. Remember that China likely has the second most advanced military technology on earth, things that are not yet even public knowledge

Okay sure, but regardless, the specs state that the gun is powered by regular lithium-ion batteries, okay now taking into account that you need at least 10kilowatt^10 to gain enough heat to actually light someone on fire. So with this, using basic logic, this is not happening lmao, no battery yet is capable of discharging the amount of power required in the time required, not only that, but not many batteries can even store the amount of power required so yea, again this is not real news, hate to say it but "Fake news".  This is just responses from the stupid trade war going on, basically trying to scare us into thinking the Chinese military is a lot stronger than we think (which it is not). Hypothetically this "laser gun" would have to be close to the size of a warehouse, so maybe they are putting them on aircraft carriers? But not handheld rifles, sorry just not possible (yet, long ways to go in battery technology sadly)

It's not technically a firearm in the us though right? Doesn't that mean that there won't be regulations on these ( for now )

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

15 minutes ago, Spongy141 said:

snip

So first of all they aren't "lighting a person on fire", I don't know where you got that wattage measurement from but I can assure you that you do not need anywhere close to that much power to set someones clothes on fire or carbonize their skin.

The US already has their own laser weaponry too btw.

Edit:

Here's what a commercial (so legacy non-cutting edge technology) 1KW laser can do.

Spoiler

Of course lasers are much more complex than they seem, the wavelength and multiple other factors contribute greatly to how a laser performs. The one in this story isn't even visible light, nor is it audible.

1 minute ago, Swatson said:

So first of all they aren't "lighting a person on fire", I don't know where you got that wattage measurement from but I can assure you that you do need that much power to set someones clothes on fire or carbonize their skin.

The US already has their own laser weaponry too btw.

I'm pretty sure the only way for a laser to kill someone is by carbonizing them..  Also the wattage was taken from the article I was reading yesterday about this "Chinese Laser AK", really was to point out the fact that the power required is an absurdly large amount that we are not yet capable of on the said level. Even if it was down to 10kilowatts^5 still would be out of reach to cram into the size of an AK.

5 minutes ago, Spongy141 said:

I'm pretty sure the only way for a laser to kill someone is by carbonizing them..  Also the wattage was taken from the article I was reading yesterday about this "Chinese Laser AK", really was to point out the fact that the power required is an absurdly large amount that we are not yet capable of on the said level. Even if it was down to 10kilowatts^5 still would be out of reach to cram into the size of an AK.

It's not even 1kw, you can scorch items with like 50 MILLIWATTS. A 5W laser would easily set your clothes on fire no problem, the carbonization aspect is just the point where the beam hits, and that point is likely to be a few MILIMETERS across. This isn't a fallout 4 laser rifle where you turn into a pile of ash. DId you even read the article?

26 minutes ago, Shreyas1 said:

It's not technically a firearm in the us though right? Doesn't that mean that there won't be regulations on these ( for now )

Air guns don't qualify either, and haven't for a long time. It's not about how dangerous a weapon is, it's about the common perception.

That's also why the AR15 is in the crosshairs of antigunners, despite it being far less effective than a standard glock 19.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

US laser weaponry be like

8fc.gif

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

My guess is that they're using existing tech.

If you take a ruby rod, wrap a xenon flash lamp around it, and put the usual full mirror on one side and a partial mirror on the other, then dump the contents of a capacitor into the xenon tube, it'll produce a very short, but extremely high energy pulse of light.