Pew Pew! China releases "Laser Assault Rifle" with a range of ~1KM

Sources:
CNET

SCMP

Quotes:

..a prototype laser assault rifle of similar dimensions to an AK-47, dubbed the ZKZM-500... From 800 metres (about half a mile) away or less, the rifle can burn through a target's clothes and skin and, if their clothes are flammable, set them on fire...  Despite that information, the weapon has been described as "non-lethal"

“The pain will be beyond endurance,” according to the researcher who had took part in the development and field testing of a prototype... It is now ready for mass production and the first units are likely to be given to anti-terrorism squads in the Chinese Armed Police... Because the laser has been tuned to an invisible frequency, and it produces absolutely no sound, “nobody will know where the attack came from. It will look like an accident,” The lasers cannot kill a target with a single shot, but if fired at a person for long enough the weapons would start to burn a hole in their body, cutting through them like a surgical knife.

My Thoughts:

We are truly entering a new era of warfare with multiple sci-fi like technologies coming to life. Despite this we'll need to watch how this progresses. With lasers like this one having no visible indicator of who is firing from where it would definitely cause a bit of chaos and confusion in the wrong hands.

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

That's scary.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

5 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

sounds like someone bought an irresponsible laser and attached a scope to it

great weekend project kek

i7 4790K | 4.5ghz @1.19v / 1080 ti strix oc  / Asus Z97 Pro Gamer  / 970 Evo 500GB | 850 Evo 500GB / Corsair 780t white|window  

PG279Q | VG248QE/ Corsair ax860i   /   Corsair H110i GTX   /  Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB 2400mhz /

6 hours ago, McHox said:

great weekend project kek

Next thing you know, you'll see the Chinese army at the front lines with Nerf guns that have needles on the tip of the darts.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Meh. Suppress a 338 Lapua magnum rifle, and not only is it undetected at distance, but it'll go past 1KM, and kill instantly.

A welrod will do the same thing, hut if you're in the same room.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Uhm, doesn't that new weapon stand in conflict with the geneva convention?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convention_on_Certain_Conventional_Weapons#Protocol_IV:_Blinding_Laser_Weapons

My Rig "Jenova" Ryzen 7 3900X with EK Supremacy Elite, RTX3090 with EK Fullcover Acetal + Nickel & EK Backplate, Corsair AX1200i (sleeved), ASUS X570-E, 4x 8gb Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3800MHz 16CL, 500gb Samsung 980 Pro, Raijintek Paean

7 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

"Sir! They're armed with industrial lasers! They'll blot out the sun with their beams! wait that didn't make sense YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN"

"... then we shall fight in the shade"

Mirror+Shield+Project.+Artist+Cannupa+Ha

So will testudos become a thing now with mirror shields?

1 minute ago, Kukielka said:

Uhm, doesn't that new weapon stand in conflict with the geneva convention?

Why should China care?

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

3 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Why should China care?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_parties_to_the_Convention_on_Certain_Conventional_Weapons

China signed all 5 Parts of the convention on September 14, 1981.

My Rig "Jenova" Ryzen 7 3900X with EK Supremacy Elite, RTX3090 with EK Fullcover Acetal + Nickel & EK Backplate, Corsair AX1200i (sleeved), ASUS X570-E, 4x 8gb Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3800MHz 16CL, 500gb Samsung 980 Pro, Raijintek Paean

I wonder what the battery life on the gun is because I can't imagine you would get more than a few minutes of sustained fire from it.

"There are no rules in love and war"

I cant imagin those having great battery life, hence why it seems they are intended for anti terrorism scenerios.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

honestly china could do all they want. They own like half the US' currency and almost everything in Europe business wise, especially Germany is too dumb to put in restrictions for foreign investors... And here we are being scared of Russia... pshhh

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

1 minute ago, SolarNova said:

"There are no rules in love and war"

I cant imagin those having great battery life, hence why it seems they are intended for anti terrorism scenerios.

I'd imagine they'd take a bit to recharge. They're listed at 2 second "shots" but no where in the articles mention how often you can fire those shots.

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

9 minutes ago, Kukielka said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_parties_to_the_Convention_on_Certain_Conventional_Weapons

China signed all 5 Parts of the convention on September 14, 1981.

Again, why should they care?

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

7 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

"do you know your weapons are blinding people?"

"what? they cut through meat. no one's forcing them to look"

alternative gag: they might as well look into supermassive positron cannons now

alternative gag x2:

*faraway screaming* "look away!"

"... wuht?"

"look away!"

"where is that coming fr

Genuinely hilarious, still scary.

2 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Again, why should they care?

You sure are fun at parties, arn't you?

You sure are fun at parties, arn't you?

So long as the (only slightly useful) Geneva Convention isn't brought up, yes.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

4 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

So long as the (only slightly useful) Geneva Convention isn't brought up, yes.

So you don't consider the Geneva Convention to be useful?

So you don't consider the Geneva Convention to be useful? Not even in the slightest?

It's only useful if you're a civilized country with traditionally western values.

The Middle East fails on the first stipulation, China the second.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Yeah definitely entering sci-fi reality lately with many different prototypes we tend to see in games. 

Maybe use a mirror against it hmm. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

49 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

sounds like someone bought an irresponsible laser and attached a scope to it o_o

China is becoming the first order confirmed! Inb4 China launches Death Star-like structure in the atmosphere

/Joke

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),