Pew Pew! China releases "Laser Assault Rifle" with a range of ~1KM

16 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

It's only useful if you're a civilized country with traditionally western values.

The Middle East fails on the first stipulation, China the second.

Violating the Geneva Convention would also mean extreme post war retaliation, likely far worse than the Treaty of Versailles to Germany. Because they are international law, they'd be extremely strict about it, and likely strip all of Chinas advantages in the UN such as being a permanent member of the UN security council.

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

4 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

ELI5 what would be lost? o_o

Because China is a permanent member of the UN security council, they have a veto on any type of military action the UN might take. Basically they can shut down anything that happens in the UN that has to do with the military. You might remember Russia using this power when the UN was going to take action in Crimea. They would lose this power which is a huge asset. The Treaty of Versailles ruined post war Germany, making them pay extreme debts, and limiting any type of economic activity they might try. China would surely lose their spot as one of the top economies in the world with the amount of sanctions that would be against it for breaking such a universally accepted treaty.

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

2 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

Because they are international law,

Yeah, because that means oh so much.

2 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

extreme post war retaliation,

Given the world's refusal to move non Chinese industry out of China, there is no reason to care. They can cripple half of the world's economy.

3 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

and likely strip all of Chinas advantages in the UN such as being a permanent member of the UN security council.

That isn't nearly as impactful as one thinks when, again, a country doesn't share in western values.

The geneva convention is a fucking joke, and to potential enemies (like China, Russia, the Middle East), just a metaphorical piece of paper to wipe one's ass with.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Perhaps Sci-Fi was right. Perhaps everything will be chrome to reflect all the laser weapons. I personally can't wait!

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

1 hour ago, wojtepanik said:

laser weapon can't be used against human, as there can't be weapon that blind people permanently :)

You are aware that literally any normal gun down to BB guns can blind people... Right?

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

2 minutes ago, Christophe Corazza said:

So has anyone actually seen one or do we just take their word for it?

Take their word for it. It's not like it's not possible with today's tech. But the likelyhood of it being able to replace an AK47, or any other conventional weapon, is basically zero.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

8 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Take their word for it. It's not like it's not possible with today's tech. But the likelyhood of it being able to replace an AK47, or any other conventional weapon, is basically zero.

I know… People are too naive about china… They have indeed already created so many miracles and the technology is sufficiently advanced. However, I would still like to see it though... :)

1 hour ago, rcmaehl said:

China releases "Laser Assault Rifle" with a range of ~1KM

So many people to use it on... university students, journalists, human rights lawyers, bookshop owners, Tibetans...

Made in China... Batteries not included

"the only way to stop a bad guy with a laser is a good guy with a laser"

"shooting in high school in *insert random US city* "

11 minutes ago, Christophe Corazza said:

They have indeed already created so many miracles and the technology is sufficiently advanced

PFFFFFFT.

Chinese technology is stolen technology.

4 minutes ago, asus killer said:

the only way to stop a bad guy with a laser is a good guy with a laser

Basically.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

54 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

Violating the Geneva Convention would also mean extreme post war retaliation, likely far worse than the Treaty of Versailles to Germany. Because they are international law, they'd be extremely strict about it, and likely strip all of Chinas advantages in the UN such as being a permanent member of the UN security council.

Well, nothing has happened to the US for violations, so don't count on China getting anything but a stern look.

1 hour ago, LordOTaco said:

So will testudos become a thing now with mirror shields?

Mirrors don‘t work against high power lasers.

\\ QUIET AUDIO WORKSTATION //

5960X 3.7GHz @ 0.983V / ASUS X99-A USB3.1      

32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 & 2667MHz @ 1.2V

AMD R9 Fury X

256GB SM961 + 1TB Samsung 850 Evo  

Cooler Master Silencio 652S (soon Calyos NSG S0 ^^)              

Noctua NH-D15 / 3x NF-S12A                 

Seasonic PRIME Titanium 750W        

Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum / Logitech G900

2x Samsung S24E650BW 16:10  / Adam A7X / Fractal Axe Fx 2 Mark I

Windows 7 Ultimate

4K GAMING/EMULATION RIG

Xeon X5670 4.2Ghz (200BCLK) @ ~1.38V / Asus P6X58D Premium

12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz

Gainward GTX 1080 Golden Sample

Intel 535 Series 240 GB + San Disk SSD Plus 512GB

Corsair Crystal 570X

Noctua NH-S12 

Be Quiet Dark Rock 11 650W

Logitech K830

Xbox One Wireless Controller

Logitech Z623 Speakers/Subwoofer

Windows 10 Pro

1 hour ago, Kukielka said:

So you don't consider the Geneva Convention to be useful?

A piece of paper is only valid so long as those who signed it hold to their word. It doesn't have magic restraining powers.

2 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Meh. Suppress a 338 Lapua magnum rifle, and not only is it undetected at distance, but it'll go past 1KM, and kill instantly.

A welrod will do the same thing, hut if you're in the same room.

A laser travels at the speed of light. That is a huge advantage when it comes to aiming the thing. 

2 hours ago, wojtepanik said:

laser weapon can't be used against human, as there can't be weapon that blind people permanently :)

if you get shot in the eye im sure you can be blind permanently, hell even a head shot if you survive can do that. 

1 hour ago, ScratchCat said:

In other news: The US Military buys 1 Million tonnes of reflective sequins.

All new military uniforms will be mirrors and tinfoil. 

The problem with laser weapons in the past has been it takes a long time focusing on a small area before enough heat had been built up for it to be harmful. 

How long time does it take before this weapons deals any damage? 

20 minutes ago, Vode said:

Mirrors don‘t work against high power lasers.

How could you possibly know what works against these weapons? 

18 minutes ago, Ashaira said:

A piece of paper is only valid so long as those who signed it hold to their word. It doesn't have magic restraining powers.

Correct, but Geneva violations shouldn't be thought of as normal laws. What they are is "standards in war", which means response has to be taken in-kind.

Mass Area Blinding weaponry has been doable for a couple of decades. It's not as hard as people might think. The issue is in-kind response by enemies. It's the reason Chemical weapons have rarely been used since WW1. It's not that they weren't produced, it's just the in-kind response is brutal to the side that breaks the Standard.

Plus, this is going to be a crap weapon regardless. Battery tech isn't good enough for these to be viable for anything but some defensive applications.