Corsair to Acquire Elgato Gaming

Kukielka

CORSAIR®, a world leader in providing high-performance PC peripherals and components for gamers, enthusiasts and eSports athletes, today is pleased to announce that it has reached an agreement to acquire Munich-based Elgato Gaming.

27.06.2018, Source: https://www.corsair.com/de/de/company/press-release/corsair-to-acquire-elgato-gaming

Didn't see that one coming to be honest!

I'm glad that we might see more high-quality streaming accessories tho! :)

My Rig "Jenova" Ryzen 7 3900X with EK Supremacy Elite, RTX3090 with EK Fullcover Acetal + Nickel & EK Backplate, Corsair AX1200i (sleeved), ASUS X570-E, 4x 8gb Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3800MHz 16CL, 500gb Samsung 980 Pro, Raijintek Paean

1 hour ago, Voids said:

Elgato now with rgb lighting 

And the latest Cherry MX switches.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Well, thats unfortunate. Wonder how long my streamdeck will get support for...

You know... we may just get the things Taran was asking for and what me and fellow prospective buyers were looking for- gif enabled tiles on buttons with possibly Cherry based integration. I'm not a streamer- but would love to use this to quick launch applications and swap profiles, and am personally going to hold off buying one until they release something under Corsair! :)

PC in Profile

2 hours ago, Rune said:

Well, thats unfortunate. Wonder how long my streamdeck will get support for...

This is something I'm kind of afraid. Stream deck itself is quite straight forward piece of tech and all it really has had is very open and listening company supporting it and being ready to implement new things for it into their software. With Corsair hopping in, I fear that it's gonna be bye bye for that and sooner or later Corsair will bring Stream deck 2 with RGB shit and drop the feature updates for the Stream deck to milk money. I just hope someone somewhere leaks out the Stream deck softwares source or Elgato manages to make it open source so people can start supporting the Stream deck in the worst case where Corsair drops it, after all it would be really shame to drop that amount of development (when I got it there was options to just add folders, use macros and some support to Elgatos game capture, now they are supporting most of the streaming softwares, have folders in folders for infinite amount of macros, gif-support, soundboard feature and a lot more).

5 hours ago, Ryujin2003 said:

Maybe their products will become a little more affordable?

Corsair and affordable are not words that co-exist. You pay a premium for the Corsair name.

tell that to my k95 rgb platinum , it costs a kidney and a half.

Case: Corsair 760T  |  Psu: Evga  650w p2 | Cpu-Cooler : Noctua Nh-d15 | Cpu : 8600k  | Gpu: Gygabyte 1070 g1 | Ram: 2x8gb Gskill Trident-Z 3000mhz |  Mobo : Aorus GA-Z370 Gaming K3 | Storage : Ocz 120gb sata ssd , sandisk 480gb ssd , wd 1gb hdd | Keyboard : Corsair k95 rgb plat. | Mouse : Razer deathadder elite | Monitor: Dell s2417DG (1440p 165hz gsync) & a crappy hp 24' ips 1080p | Audio: Schiit stack + Akg k712pro + Blue yeti.

3 minutes ago, Peskanova said:

tell that to my k95 rgb platinum , it costs a kidney and a half.

You sold 1 1/2 kidneys for 150€?

Dude, I think u got ripped off :D

My Rig "Jenova" Ryzen 7 3900X with EK Supremacy Elite, RTX3090 with EK Fullcover Acetal + Nickel & EK Backplate, Corsair AX1200i (sleeved), ASUS X570-E, 4x 8gb Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3800MHz 16CL, 500gb Samsung 980 Pro, Raijintek Paean

1 minute ago, Kukielka said:

You sold 1 1/2 kidneys for 150€?

Dude, I think u got ripped off :D

where 150? it cost me 190 :(

Case: Corsair 760T  |  Psu: Evga  650w p2 | Cpu-Cooler : Noctua Nh-d15 | Cpu : 8600k  | Gpu: Gygabyte 1070 g1 | Ram: 2x8gb Gskill Trident-Z 3000mhz |  Mobo : Aorus GA-Z370 Gaming K3 | Storage : Ocz 120gb sata ssd , sandisk 480gb ssd , wd 1gb hdd | Keyboard : Corsair k95 rgb plat. | Mouse : Razer deathadder elite | Monitor: Dell s2417DG (1440p 165hz gsync) & a crappy hp 24' ips 1080p | Audio: Schiit stack + Akg k712pro + Blue yeti.

That's pretty neat.

Elgato isn't a big name brand like Corsair. Possibly rebranding the company can lead to more exposure which of course means more sale. Also being apart of Corsair might mean more money to fund more products that associate with streaming like the stream deck and such.

-= Thread Cleaned =-

Derailing topics is not a good idea and personal attacks are never allowed.

Continuation will result in warnings issued.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

9 hours ago, Derangel said:

Corsair and affordable are not words that co-exist. You pay a premium for the Corsair name.

Well, I never pay full price. I generally try to get things on sale. But when compared to others, my K70 wasn't that expensive. Compared to the competition? No. The Void Headset I have was on sale, and made it cheaper than the Kingston and other offerings.

However, one thing I just thought of, I've stuck with Corsair products because I started out with the Void Headset and H100i. And I really didn't want to have to install more software to get things running. The Lighting Node Pro and K70 all use the same software, so I have been sucked into the eco-system as well. But when I wanted something I knew would last, I compared Corsair against Logitech (because Razer and last don't go together), and found Corsair to be cheaper.

SO with the eco-system in mind, it might be a lot easier for users to have a simpler software solution. If Elgato can be incorporated in the Corsair Utility Engine instead of having to have additional crap installed, then I'd definitely be down for that. Make it simpler on the user. But I do think that getting people into the Corsair software eco-system will help keep them there because well. It's simpler and more convenient.

-snip-

SO with the eco-system in mind, it might be a lot easier for users to have a simpler software solution. If Elgato can be incorporated in the Corsair Utility Engine instead of having to have additional crap installed, then I'd definitely be down for that. Make it simpler on the user. But I do think that getting people into the Corsair software eco-system will help keep them there because well. It's simpler and more convenient.

That is the worst part. At least with Stream deck Elgato really haven't troubled users with useless updates and aimed to release update when there's something new in the software that provides new functions/features for the Stream deck. At the same time Corsair Link updates now and then and (at least for me with AX860i) the most they have updated is the layout how sensor data is presented.

I have been more than happy that I paid what I paid for the Stream deck when it came out and more so when Elgato hasn't gone to the big C BS strategy and tried to sell me Stream deck 2.0 just for the features they have added to it through the updates. And this is what I fear, that Corsair will bring the big C strategies to the Elgato and even if the eco-system and stuff will come, we will also loose the now and then coming feature updates just because it's much more profitable to sell a new device with new features even if all it would take was to update the software for the older device. But all is left to be seen, I'm very happy with what Stream deck has become but there's still a lot of things that could be done with it and the question just is will Corsair let the Elgato continue as they are or are they going to at least make it even more profitable.

Also to add to the news. Corsair has bought Elgato Gaming and the whole Elgato brand. Elgato Eve, which is their smart home division, has not been sold to the Corsair and will be rebranded as Eve Systems. (Source) E: Was already in the OP.

On 27.6.2018 at 6:20 PM, Voids said:

Elgato now with rgb lighting 

On 27.6.2018 at 7:26 PM, Drak3 said:

And the latest Cherry MX switches.

On 27.6.2018 at 9:19 PM, Christophe Corazza said:

RGB capture cards? :D

Oh please don't inspire them...

honestly im hoping for the other way around.

full keyboard with all streamdeck keys. or at least something like a numpad add-on or something.

also maybe corsair can streamline production a bit?

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

All we need now is for Corsair to aquire Discord to reduce the number of icons in my systray.

GamingPC: Intel 4770k CPU, 2xMSI 780 GTX Twin Frozr, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, Swiftech H220 CPU Cooler.

Cookie Cutter Build log