EU Parliament's Committee on Legal Affairs approves Article 13 but it's not over yet!

AlTech

The EU Parliament's Committee on Legal Affairs has voted and approves of Article 13 of the new Copyright reform act in Europe.

The vote came out at 15 for and 10 against. But it's not over yet. 

This vote is not the final verdict and it is likely that the final vote will be carried out in the EU Full Parliament in July. 

The Link Tax was also approved by the Parliament's Committee. 

Again, this is not over and the Full Parliament will vote on this.

A European Parliament committee today approved a copyright law that could have wide-ranging effects on Internet platforms that host user-generated content.

The Parliament's Committee on Legal Affairs voted 15-10 "to approve the controversial Article 13,which critics warn could put an end to memes, remixes and other user-generated content," the BBC reported. The full parliament is expected to vote on the measure in July.

"The vote by the Legal Affairs Committee is likely to be the Parliament's official stance as it heads into negotiations with EU countries on a common position, unless dissenting lawmakers force a vote at the general assembly next month," Reuters wrote.

As we wrote last week, the proposal "seeks to make Internet services that host large amounts of user-uploaded material responsible for policing their holdings to prevent copyright infringement." Businesses would no longer benefit from safe harbor protection "for any service that 'optimizes' content, which includes things like promoting, tagging, curating, or sequencing a site's contents."

The Committee on Legal Affairs also approved a measure that would "requir[e] online platforms to pay publishers a fee if they link to their news content," the BBC wrote

Major internet figure heads such as Tim Berners Lee and several others have signed a letter opposing the new rules last week. The letter warns that it will drive online platforms out of the EU and I completely agree.

For a bunch of people who claim to have Europe's best interest at heart, the EU and their politicians have a funny way of showing it.

Source:

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2018/06/europe-advances-copyright-law-that-could-filter-the-internet/

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Politicians only cares about 1 simple thing... Money.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

On 21/06/2018 at 11:35 PM, Princess Cadence said:

Of course. Nothing but money.

hi.

I still don't understand why I should care as an average European pleb. :|

17 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

In really really simple terms it means that everything uploaded in the EU will be scanned for copyrighted material kind of like how YouTube's ContentID works and block anything which is deemed to be copyrighted.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

4 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

You don't have to concern yourself much truth be told, the result in a very simplistic way to put it is that it'll become impossible to maintain servers in the European Union due to excessive costs $$$ with copyright, meaning that every one will migrate their servers to countries outside the EU.

That means when you access a website instead of being served by a server located at your country, like Germany you'll be using a feed from I don't know say Russia for example, this could increase latency/ping to accessing such internet pages and could also increase risks involved with security since the serves will now be on less regulated countries.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

2 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

Because every website that operates in Europe, for Article 13, will have to verify EVERY thing you upload to any website to see if it's copywritten material and block it if it's found to violate copyright. Think of it like YouTube contentID applied to EVERY thing you do online to placate a bunch of people who don't understand tech. Most companies will probably pull out or significantly scale back operations in Europe.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

15 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

For a bunch of people who claim to have Europe's best interest at heart, the EU and their politicians have a funny way of showing it.

That's why Brexit is somewhat a good thing :P 

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

The only upside to brexit, if the MPs in the UK aren't that dumb, things like this wouldn't even be considered, nevermind debated n voted on. 

1 minute ago, RKRiley said:

That's why Brexit is somewhat a good thing :P 

Damn, beat me to it... :/ 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

I've added a call to action bit in the OP on how EU Citizens who care about this can try to fix it.

Just now, Mr.Meerkat said:

The only upside to brexit, if the MPs in the UK aren't that dumb, things like this wouldn't even be considered, nevermind debated n voted on. 

How do we know that they won't consider this though?

The article 11 I have in my copy has an edit that at least to me seems to rid of the link tax as I understand it, but article 13 is potentially pretty bad still. I have read most of it but legal speak is also not my thing so idk

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

3 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

How do we know that they won't consider this though?

Ummmm...considering Britain has some of the strictest internet laws in Europe, to be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if the laws ended up being even more pervasive so....welp? 

1 minute ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Ummmm...considering Britain has some of the strictest internet laws in Europe, to be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if the laws ended up being even more pervasive so....welp? 

Would calling the EU parliament still help if the final vote is in July?

12 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

In really really simple terms it means Memes are going to become illegal and news in the EU are not going to be able to afford to link to sources. Meaning that it'll be basically impossible to verify news.

I'm reading a German article about the issue right now.

Memes are not becoming "illegal" and linking to sources will still be possible for free. :S Maybe I'm missing something, but I will continue my research. :D

10 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

You don't have to concern yourself much truth be told, the result in a very simplistic way to put it is that it'll become impossible to maintain servers in the European Union due to excessive costs $$$ with copyright, meaning that every one will migrate their servers to countries outside the EU.

That means when you access a website instead of being served by a served located at your country, like Germany you'll be using a feed from I don't know say Russia for example, this could increase latency/ping to accessing such internet pages and could also increase risks involved with security since the serves will now be on less regulated countries.

Seems like a good point in combination with the next one. Thanks. :) 

9 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Because every website that operates in Europe, for Article 13, will have to verify EVERY thing you upload to any website to see if it's copywritten material and block it if it's found to violate copyright. Think of it like YouTube contentID applied to EVERY thing you do online to placate a bunch of people who don't understand tech. Most companies will probably pull out or significantly scale back operations in Europe.

Thanks! :) 

23 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

And votes. Oscar Ameringer once said the following:

"Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor, and campaign funds from the rich by promising to protect each from the other". 

24 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

No, that's not true. They care about the citizens. We need to give them more power. /s

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

4 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Would calling the EU parliament still help if the final vote is in July?

Dunno, never cared about politics to be honest. However, if its something regarding the economy, you would probably see me interested in it (to a point at least). 

CZbYe08WYAA0w3l?format=jpg

I suggest you guys get your memes in quick before we're not allowed to post them anymore.

I've said it before but to me this is just a lazy way of shifting responsibility to website owners. After this passes it's down to individual sites to monitor and remove "illegal content" (try and reach your bot about fair use) and when a fuss gets kicked up it gives the government someone to blame.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

3 hours ago, Princess Cadence said:

All roads cables lead to Rome London 9_9.

Spoiler

Your data will be perfectly safe, secure, and private in the loving arms of the MI5 ^_^.

tfw in this moment i'd rather have US's crappy net neutrality situation than this sad attempt at EU's "let's control everything!" game"

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Who really cares like this isn’t going to stop anyone. It didn’t work for piracy and it won’t work for this. They can’t enforce it.

15 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

"to approve the controversial Article 13,which critics warn could put an end to memes, remixes and other user-generated content," the BBC reported. The full parliament is expected to vote on the measure in July.

Is the EU trying to bring back a dead ringer of SOPA/PIPA?

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

knowing now a bit more about this, the end result may be someone not being able to post a meme on a blog or a forum, but the main reason for this is EU wanting to "tax" Google, Facebook, Microsoft,... the big American companies, the idea is not to stop anyone from posting a link or a meme, but rather that this companies pay so their users are able to do so.

disclaimer: i'm not for it, just explaining what is the idea behind this.