Intel reportedly discontinuing production of H310 Chipset to push consumers to more expensive motherboards

AlTech

Intel is reportedly discontinuing production of their entry level H310 chipset to push consumers towards more expensive B360 and Z370 chipsets.

The company has allegedly been unable to produce enough Chipsets in the 300 series on their current fab process and so has decided to kill off H310 as a means to enable better availability of B360, Z370 and potentially a newer 300 series chipset if Intel is working on a new one ;).

A report straight out of DigiTimes, citing industry sources, says that Intel has discontinued production of its H310 chipset. The decision has apparently stemmed from lower than expected production capacity for chipsets on the 14 nm process. When that happens, production focus must shift to a specific part: in this case, Intel obviously went with the option with the lower opportunity cost, and increased production of the Z370 chipset: the one with the increased feature-set, and, most likely than not, higher margins.

After a single month of tight supply for the H310 chipset, motherboard makers are now forced to use Intel's B360 chipset in their more cost-conscious options as well - a part which carries higher cost, and thus precludes manufacturers from hitting all the price points they usually would with a fully vertical Intel chipset lineup. 

So yeah, I'm confused as to how and why the B series Intel chipset is more high end than the H series since the H series typically was the mid range option with the B series being budget entry level parts.

Still, the only plausible explanation other than availability of Z370 and B360 motherboards is if Intel is planning to launch Z390 in time for the 8700K's successor.

Source: https://www.techpowerup.com/244021/a-push-for-the-higher-margin-intel-reportedly-discontinues-production-of-its-h310-chipset

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

2 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

The company has allegedly been unable to produce enough Chipsets in the 300 series on their current fab process

How can a multi-billion dollar company not be able to produce some chipsets? Intel is  reallllllly mind boggling company. 

Just now, SC2Mitch said:

How can a multi-billion dollar company not be able to produce some chipsets? Intel is  reallllllly mind boggling company. 

It's a matter of their fab process for chipsets. Apparently they can't reliably produce H310 chipsets because of all the other chipsets they produce. You're definitely not the only one confused B|

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

It's a matter of their fab process for chipsets. Apparently they can't reliably produce H310 chipsets because of all the other chipsets they produce. You're definitely not the only one confused B|

When you make so much shit you get confused, kappa

To sprinkle some salt in the wounds :)

Who can remember that when Ryzen came out, Intel sent a presentation into the world where theyclaimed that AMD would be unreliable in terms of deliveries? https://www.techradar.com/news/intel-disses-amds-new-processors-in-what-could-be-an-epyc-fail

Intel about AMD:

"Poor Track Record, Inconsistent Supplier"

And the solution from Intel? Just buy that more expensive one. Brilliant! 

DEiBretWsAAg68P.jpg

I don't see why this matters at all. If you look at pricing, H310 boards are a whopping $8 cheaper than B360 boards.

If there was enough push back from board manufacturers they could simply ask for a small price break and voila. Same price.
Or, those who are building budget PC's can skip a Starbucks trip and they're at the same cost.

Really, at pricing that close, it doesn't make any sense to produce both SKUs.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

42 minutes ago, SC2Mitch said:

Simple: they are lying and they don't want you to buy affordable motherboards, so you end up being forced to buy their expensive motherboards.

I do not and can not believe a multi-billion company, which is 10 times AMD, cannot produce enough affordable motherboards. This bullshit simply reeks to....bullshit.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

27 minutes ago, CTR640 said:

Simple: they are lying and they don't want you to buy affordable motherboards, so you end up being forced to buy their expensive motherboards.

I do not and can not believe a multi-billion company, which is 10 times AMD, cannot produce enough affordable motherboards. This bullshit simply reeks to....bullshit.

and cheapest of both mobos is what $8 difference?

oh maybe there isnt a huge demand for them

What a dumb attempt to throw shade at Intel.  Petty and insecure.  

i9-9900k @ 5.1GHz || EVGA 3080 ti FTW3 EK Cooled || EVGA z390 Dark || G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 4000MHz C16

970 Pro 1tb || 860 Evo 2tb || BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 || EVGA P2 1200w || AOC Agon AG352UCG

Cooled by: Heatkiller || Hardware Labs || Bitspower || Noctua || EKWB

I think the biggest question of all is why the hell they're producing chipsets on 14nm? For reference AMD chipsets are on 55nm. 

You'd think they'd have some 22nm or even 32nm capacity available to do the job.

3 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

I think the biggest question of all is why the hell they're producing chipsets on 14nm? For reference AMD chipsets are on 55nm. 

You'd think they'd have some 22nm or even 32nm capacity available to do the job.

You may want to explain why having 14nm chipsets makes no sense and why 22nm or 32nm chipsets are good enough.

Also, according to Wikipedia, Z370 is built on 22nm whilst the rest for Coffee Lake are on 14nm xD.

So why would they make make H310, H370 and B360 using 14nm but then use 22nm for Z370? :P.

For a large company Intel can do quite silly things.

2 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

You may want to explain why having 14nm chipsets makes no sense and why 22nm or 32nm chipsets are good enough.

Also, according to Wikipedia, Z370 is built on 22nm whilst the rest for Coffee Lake are on 14nm xD.

So why would they make make H310, H370 and B360 using 14nm but then use 22nm for Z370? :P.

For a large company Intel can do quite silly things.

Z370 is a generation older in many aspects and launched much earlier. Remember CFL and Z370 was a limited initial launch. That explains why newer chipsets are on 14nm. 

14nm while of course better isn't necessary for chipsets. I don't know the internals of Intel's foundry business but in theory it should be more expensive to use. Combine that with the obviously limited capacity that actually required them to pull a product. That begs the question I asked. I don't know what Intel does with their old equipment but that shit is expensive so putting it to use churning out chipsets is a great idea.

As far as I know the chipset doesn't need the power or area gains from 14nm especially not in a desktop. I could understand it for laptops to squeeze every ounce of battery life you can. That's an area where AMD is struggling for example. They're posting less battery life despite a power efficient core design but something somewhere is using power that gives average to poor battery life (should be noted that the uncore stuff on die use a good deal of power during load but doesn't explain the numbers overall).

Could AMD benefit from using something a bit more modern than 55nm? Possibly but then again there's a big chunk of the chipset on die which does benefit from the 14nm process.

4 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

-snip-

Greed

Greed never changes.

AMD Ryzen 7 1700 | Gigabyte GA-AX370-Gaming K5 | 24 GB (2x 8GB + 2x 4 GB) | ASUS Strix GTX 960 4 GB & Sapphire Radeon RX 580 8 GB | 960 EVO 250 GB + 2x 850 EVO 250 GB + 3x 2 TB WD Purple (ZFS) + 3 TB WD Red | Fractal Design Define R5 | Corsair RM850x | Ubunt16.04.4

8 minutes ago, Tokyo_Raven said:

Greed

Greed never changes.

I would call it 'tactical market strategy'

1 minute ago, Christophe Corazza said:

I would call it 'tactical market strategy'

No thats just greed right there, I would rather cut production of H370 but whatever Intel wants to do, its their job and they have people in headquarters with very "gud" ideas.

AMD Ryzen 7 1700 | Gigabyte GA-AX370-Gaming K5 | 24 GB (2x 8GB + 2x 4 GB) | ASUS Strix GTX 960 4 GB & Sapphire Radeon RX 580 8 GB | 960 EVO 250 GB + 2x 850 EVO 250 GB + 3x 2 TB WD Purple (ZFS) + 3 TB WD Red | Fractal Design Define R5 | Corsair RM850x | Ubunt16.04.4

Well....its not like I myself was going to be buying into anything past LGA1150 for a while. And Intel doing this pretty much just screwed those who don't want a motherboard with a gimped chipset and can't afford Z370 boards

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

2 hours ago, Tokyo_Raven said:

Greed

Greed never changes.

2 hours ago, Tokyo_Raven said:

No thats just greed right there, I would rather cut production of H370 but whatever Intel wants to do, its their job and they have people in headquarters with very "gud" ideas.

read bottom quote

1 minute ago, Dabombinable said:

Well....its not like I myself was going to be buying into anything past LGA1150 for a while. And Intel doing this pretty much just screwed those who don't want a motherboard with a gimped chipset and can't afford Z370 boards

read below

5 hours ago, dizmo said:

I don't see why this matters at all. If you look at pricing, H310 boards are a whopping $8 cheaper than B360 boards.

If there was enough push back from board manufacturers they could simply ask for a small price break and voila. Same price.
Or, those who are building budget PC's can skip a Starbucks trip and they're at the same cost.

I'll be honest. I think they could just have z370 and b360 and that could cover the majority of the market relatively easily. The h370 and h310 always seemed kind a niche to me. I think the same could be said about AMD. X370 and b350 can cover the vast majority of the market and a320 seems even more niche. 

6 hours ago, dizmo said:

I don't really see a problem either, $8-10 on a motherboard isn't much if you're on a budget when RAM is still one of the most expensive parts in a build.

1 minute ago, Blademaster91 said:

I don't really see a problem either, $8-10 on a motherboard isn't much if you're on a budget when RAM is still one of the most expensive parts in a build.

$ 8 to $ 10 is indeed nothing.

It should always be put into context, which - in this case - is the whole build itsel.

23 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

I'll be honest. I think they could just have z370 and b360 and that could cover the majority of the market relatively easily. The h370 and h310 always seemed kind a niche to me. I think the same could be said about AMD. X370 and b350 can cover the vast majority of the market and a320 seems even more niche. 

Agreed. Especially since a lot of the B series boards are just as feature rich as the H series boards, and a lot even have similar or better aesthetics. I kind of disagree about A320 though; at least those boards are actually significantly cheaper than the B series equivalents. At least I remember some being in the $38 range while B starts at like $65+.

17 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

Well, an H370 gives you the feats of a Z370 minus the OCing bit.  If I'm getting an 8700, non-k, I'd like the H370.

I find that often the Z series boards are the same price as the H though, and offer more in terms of ports or a better aesthetic.

H370 is an odd duck. If it were cheaper it'd make sense, but it's too close to a lot of the Z series boards.

5 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

Agreed. Honestly, if you're having trouble finding $8 to spend, you really shouldn't be buying a computer at all.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

2 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Agreed. Especially since a lot of the B series boards are just as feature rich as the H series boards, and a lot even have similar or better aesthetics. I kind of disagree about A320 though; at least those boards are actually significantly cheaper than the B series equivalents. At least I remember some being in the $38 range while B starts at like $65+.

I find that often the Z series boards are the same price as the H though, and offer more in terms of ports or a better aesthetic.

H370 is an odd duck. If it were cheaper it'd make sense, but it's too close to a lot of the Z series boards.

Agreed. Honestly, if you're having trouble finding $8 to spend, you really shouldn't be buying a computer at all.

B350 start below 65. I have seen b350 boards for 50 bucks and that's close enough to 38 to make the a320 seem like a poor choice imo.

It really amazes me how much this forum tries to twist anything Intel or Nvidia does into negative light. Intel or Nvidia could literally cure cancer, do it for free, and this forum would post:

Nvidia/Intel wants to inject chemicals into people! Possible mind control drugs?

while AMD could run over someone's dog and the response would be:

You don't need a dog anyway. In a sense, AMD did you a favor because now you will have more spare time. You should thank AMD.