Apple knew the iPhone 6 would bend before they released the product

Master Disaster
13 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

It doesn't matter if it's aeronautical grade or not. It's still aluminum and its basic properties still apply.

8 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

it likely is as some 6000, 7000 and 2000 blends are used in aerospace. i

Particularly when Aerospace aluminum excludes only the 3000 series. 1000, 2000, 3000, 5000, 6000, 7000, and 8000 series is all used.

21 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

I honestly don't care if the shell of my phone is somehow made from the same type of aluminum used on the fuselage of a Boeing 747.

I don't care for advertising fluff either. But when the S6 Edge, using 6013, has a more resilient frame than other phones using aircraft grade aluminum, to the point that some of those other phones bend under laughable pressure (like the iP6), what aluminum being used becomes somewhat important.

26 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

7000 series is more resilient to permanently distorting under pressure, but it's still going to distort under pressure if you apply enough force, just that it will be harder to do so. 

Unless you're making foil, nothing from the 6000 or 7000 series will bend from sitting on the product wrong.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

42 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

aircraft have never been made out of pure aluminum they have always used an alloy.

That's what I was pointing out.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Ceramic is the best material for a phone. Anything else is inferior.

Sudo make me a sandwich 

4 hours ago, Drak3 said:

I don't care for advertising fluff either. But when the S6 Edge, using 6013, has a more resilient frame than other phones using aircraft grade aluminum, to the point that some of those other phones bend under laughable pressure (like the iP6), what aluminum being used becomes somewhat important.

Unless you're making foil, nothing from the 6000 or 7000 series will bend from sitting on the product wrong.

Doesn't the S6 have reinforcing done inside? 

My Note8 feels extremely sturdy 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

12 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

Whatever dude, believe what you want. Doesn't change anything about reality though. 

and you omitting that the 6S was also almost two times thicker than the the 6 on the sides where the volume rocker is located, speaks volumes

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

8 hours ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Doesn't the S6 have reinforcing done inside

There isn't much that can be done to really reinforce the sides of the frame though, other than increasing thickness.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

4 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

There isn't much that can be done to really reinforce the sides of the frame though, other than increasing thickness.

Or by having some sort of girder (or honeycomb)-like additions along the centre of the sides.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

1 minute ago, Dabombinable said:

Or by having some sort of girder-like additions along the centre of the sides.

That doesn't really help all that much for devices the size of a phone.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Just something I would like to point out for all the people who think Apple knowing the iPhone 6 was more likely to bend.......

Every iPad since the iPad Air can be bent by anyone with very little strength......that doesn’t stop Apple from selling it because during normal use, the threat of that extremely thin piece of metal being bent doesn’t come up...... 

And why wouldn’t Apple know the 6 could bend more? The design went from a thick block to a thin slab......duh....

This really isn’t that big of a deal now and it wasn’t all those years ago. And if Apple wants they can pay any of their legal fees with the money they were just awarded from Samsung thinking they could win against the patent ruling  in the millionth try....

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

3 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

and you omitting that the 6S was also almost two times thicker than the the 6 on the sides where the volume rocker is located, speaks volumes

They thickens the chassis so dumb YouTubers would stop drying to get views by intentionally breaking their phones. 

Nothing was wrong with the 6 design other than the Touch IC not haveing underfill. 

They beefed up the 6s to shut everyone up. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

5 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

They thickens the chassis so dumb YouTubers would stop drying to get views by intentionally breaking their phones. 

Nothing was wrong with the 6 design other than the Touch IC not haveing underfill. 

Oh-Wait-Youre-Serious_o_97195.gif&f=1

7 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

They beefed up the 6s to shut everyone up. 

they did it to cover their arses

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

1 minute ago, suicidalfranco said:

they did it to cover their arses

Same result. The iPhone 6 was one of the best if not the best selling iPhone of all time. Bendgate was not an issue then, it is not an issue now. 

The internet should find something important to waste its time on. 

1 hour ago, Drak3 said:

Well, funnily enough, the sides of my Note8 is actually part of one of the phone’s midframes, of which the glass is actually a part of 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

On 5/25/2018 at 12:32 AM, Sauron said:

No man, you don't get it, you're holding it wrong.

ahhhhh the old days. lol they had the nerve to tell us that we were holding it wrong. pisses me off

hey hey hey i leik turtles

3 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

Every iPad since the iPad Air can be bent by anyone with very little strength......that doesn’t stop Apple from selling it because during normal use, the threat of that extremely thin piece of metal being bent doesn’t come up...... 

Well I don't think many people are carrying their iPads around in their pants pockets are they? I would imagine there is different design requirements for things that could to be carried around in your pocket and sat on versus something that you carry in your hand or bag primarily.

Just now, imreloadin said:

Well I don't think many people are carrying their iPads around in their pants pockets are they? I would imagine there is different design requirements for things that could to be carried around in your pocket and sat on versus something that you carry in your hand or bag primarily.

There really isn't, not if the argument is that Apple knew the 6 was more likely to bend and should have done something. Under their testing, bending was not a factor under normal use. 

Under normal use the iPhone 6 simply did not bend. You had to apply significant amounts of force to get the 6 to bend. Does nobody remember all those YouTube videos in "real world scenarios" that a bunch of YouTubers did and they could not bend the iPhone 6? 

3 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

Same result. The iPhone 6 was one of the best if not the best selling iPhone of all time. Bendgate was not an issue then, it is not an issue now. 

The internet should find something important to waste its time on. 

So then why are Apple fighting a class action lawsuit over touch disease?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Just now, Master Disaster said:

So then why are Apple fighting a class action lawsuit over touch disease?

Because people have a right to challenge what people like me think? 

4 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

There really isn't, not if the argument is that Apple knew the 6 was more likely to bend and should have done something. Under their testing, bending was not a factor under normal use. 

Under normal use the iPhone 6 simply did not bend. You had to apply significant amounts of force to get the 6 to bend. Does nobody remember all those YouTube videos in "real world scenarios" that a bunch of YouTubers did and they could not bend the iPhone 6? 

I don't know whether using the back pockets is a primary factor in bent phones, but I would certainly count sticking the phone in the back pocket as "normal" usage, especially since many women's jeans don' have front pockets large enough for today' phones.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

1 minute ago, DrMacintosh said:

Because people have a right to challenge what people like me think? 

I'm not sure if you realise this but the fact enough people have gotten together to file a class action, a law firm has took it on and the courts have accepted the filing means there 100% was a problem.

Saying there isn't a problem at this point is frankly rediculous. The questions now are was it done deliberately and do customers deserve compensation.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Just now, Zodiark1593 said:

I don' know whether using the back pockets is a primary factor in bent phones, but I would certainly count sticking the phone in the back pocket as "normal" usage, especially since many women's jeans don' have front pockets large enough for today' phones.

People tried that when this "story" came to light many years ago. Unless you were significantly overweight, you couldn't bent an iPhone 6 or 6 Plus by sitting on it. 

1 minute ago, Master Disaster said:

I'm not sure if you realise this but the fact enough people have gotten together to file a class action, a law firm has took it on and the courts have accepted the filing means there 100% was a problem.

Saying there isn't a problem at this point is frankly rediculous. The questions now are was it done deliberately and do customers deserve compensation.

Accepting a class action only means that there is potentially a problem.......the only thing that comes out of a court that is worth anything is the ruling. Which there has been none. 

I do not believe the iPhone 6 had a design flaw. Sure it bent, but if you decide to break anything you will eventually be able to do it. 

I would say that users who can prove that their phones were bent accidentally, from normal use, might be entitled to something, not anything that was worth all of the hassle of the class action, but something. That's just how these class actions work. 

4 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

People tried that when this "story" came to light many years ago. Unless you were significantly overweight, you couldn't bent an iPhone 6 or 6 Plus by sitting on it. 

I would imagine Apple engineers to make the product strong enough to at least avoid permanent deformities arising from putting the phone in the back pocket. Minute bending of the underlying PCB over an extended period of time may be the concern at hand however.

Though unless someone were to perform a lot of testing with many pressure sensors, I can't say for certain.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

4 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

I don' know whether using the back pockets is a primary factor in bent phones, but I would certainly count sticking the phone in the back pocket as "normal" usage, especially since many women's jeans don' have front pockets large enough for today' phones.

Which is how my friend busted her first iphone 6... She was laughing at the fact I fell on my ass on my steps and same shit happened to her. My el cheapo blu studio was fine but her phone was phone for.... Fast forward to when I got my lg v10, my phone dropped when I took off the case from about knee height and got a few scratches while her iphone looked like someone took a mallet to it. She now has an iphone 7 and I continuously tease her that she had 3 phones in the span of 2 years

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)