Outraged by the implementation of Women in Battlefield 5

Agonizel
Go to solution Solved by Agonizel,
1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

It feels out of place and forced, and I think most people feel that way.

The thing is, a lot of people such as myself - a battlefield fan - didn't care and it didn't felt out of place and forced. Why is that?
The discussion is in WHY does it feel out of place and forced for some people?

I explained it in my post and I'm gonna develop it explicitly again because there are various psychological phenomenons at work here and I could cite some for you:
1. Status Quo bias: people prefer when things remain the same. In BF5's case, they obviously changed something
2. Norms & Values: The discomfort of transgressed norms, not only that, but the expression of it. In fact, a during a very recent study of the university of ULB (I assisted to the lecture last month) the discrimination of LGBT people at work: in short, there was a theory that could be inducted with the data gathered: People that transgress the norm are not discriminated because they transgressed it, but because they show that they transgressed.

For instance, you get records of such conversations: "I hate muslim/gay people!" -"Well, I'm actually muslim/gay" -"Oh, you're okay because we don't notice it"
In case of BF5, they flagantry transgressed the norm of by presenting a woman as the new face of the game
3. The cognitive dissonance: which is the state of having inconsistent thoughts, beliefs, or attitudes: It's an extremely strong psychological state in which people won't accept their own incoherence (it's actually part of a defense mechanism to preserve self-integrity and thereby mental sanity), that's why even the most developed arguments won't even work.

No one wants to be sexist because it's socially undesirable. I believe many of the people complaining about the woman in the game also believe in equality between genders and women's rights. I believe they do not mean to be demeaning to women in any way. BUT the incoherence I exposed in the sole argument brought by those people which complains about historical inaccuracy (...):

1. Battlefield never pretended (in any game) to be historically accurate
2. There are many other bigger inaccuracies that didn't bother people that much

(...) shows that, the outrage may actually be (intended or not) sexism deflected (by the cognitive dissonance) behind the curtain of "historical accuracy". Because they ofcourse don't mean to be sexist, but they need to find a thing ("historical inaccuracy) to blame their discomfort on.

I'm sure there are many other phenomenons such as the lack of the ability of decentring which means being able to step outside of one's own truisms, cognitive scheme and preconceived, culturally anchored thoughts and ideas.

All in all, the status quo bias, norm&values, the cognitive dissonance are the main psychological phenomenons (I could observe in the people commenting against of the implementation of women in the game) that could explain their discomfort and the reason why they oppose this change. 

This is my last comment for this thread.

Message added by SansVarnic

Please remember the Community Standards when commenting.

Any derailment, political comments, name calling, baiting, etc will be met with removal of commentary and warnings issued.

This topic is a contested issue so lets remain civil with this discussion.

1 hour ago, Beer_Nontitju said:

Then don't buy the game. Battlefield is trying to sell accessible fun for a large audience, not a museum

How does adding women enhance the audience base? Most inaccuracy implemented in the game is to make it more fun to play and add to the game where as adding women really has no purpose other than pandering. But that's just my opinion.

2 minutes ago, Beer_Nontitju said:

Still doesn't say they're historically accurate. There = the battlefield? Immersive = the immersive battlefield DICE created?
You interpreted it your own way, there is no sentence saying they wanted to be historically accurate.

No matter how much you try your point does not stand and mine does.

Since you yet again ignored the part where I copied their website, and just pasted your old post again, I'll paste mine

6 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:
7 minutes ago, Beer_Nontitju said:

They still didn't pretend to be historically accurate: There = the virtual world the created? Immersive = sound design, graphical fidelity?
Now that I debunked your debunk attempt and the fact that the 2nd point remained uncontested, my argument stands strong: Sexism

13 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

HAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAH did you not watch the reveal?

Here's their website

BATTLEFIELD™ V DEPLOYS OCTOBER 2018

Enter mankind’s greatest conflict with Battlefield™ V as the series goes back to its roots with a never-before-seen portrayal of World War 2. Lead your squad to victory with new ways to turn the battlefield to your advantage. Assemble your Company of customized soldiers, weapons, and vehicles – then take them on an epic journey through the Tides of War. Experience the most intense, immersive Battlefield yet. You will never be the same.
__
Characters, locations, and weapons of war are all brought to life through vibrant, modern visuals and cutting-edge storytelling.
__
Tides of War is the grand journey of you and your Company of soldiers through the unsung, unexpected battlefields of World War 2.

Really I don't think people would give a shit if they just said "this is a vaguely steampunk ww2 inspired fantasy shooter" and just went with the vague ww2 aesthetic. But no it takes you there to all the battles and it's so immersive

Really I'd prefer games not go for "accuracy" and go or style. Mix all the weapons and stuff up. It's a game.

Lol you didn't debunk shit, you ignored most of the post including my copy paste from their website

.does calling people sexist because they don't like EA shoving a ton of female protagonists in (mainly the one with the robot arm, prosthetics didnt work like that) for no good reason get you a justice boner? Really, and they missed their chance, could have been Russian front for female leads.

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Just now, Brooksie359 said:

How does adding women enhance the audience base? Most inaccuracy implemented in the game is to make it more fun to play and add to the game where as adding women really has no purpose other than pandering. But that's just my opinion.

it's just your opinion indeed. I suggest you read the comments proposing the functionalities of adding female characters

RGB & Fan control ULTIMATE GUIDE !

2 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

Since you yet again ignored the part where I copied their website, and just pasted your old post again, I'll paste mine

If you read my comment closely, I literally quoted your copy/paste and showed you it didn't mean anything. Now stop trying to make an obviously invalid point, sir. 

2 minutes ago, Beer_Nontitju said:

it's just your opinion indeed. I suggest you read the comments proposing the functionalities of adding female characters

There is none. The only reason would to allow people to play as a woman if they want but I think that's not enough to justify it.

17 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

HAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAH did you not watch the reveal?

Here's their website

Really I don't think people would give a shit if they just said "this is a vaguely steampunk ww2 inspired fantasy shooter" and just went with the vague ww2 aesthetic. But no it takes you there to all the battles and it's so immersive

Really I'd prefer games not go for "accuracy" and go or style. Mix all the weapons and stuff up. It's a game.

If you read what you quoted properly you'd see the key word there is portrayal 

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

Just now, Beer_Nontitju said:

If you read my comment closely, I literally quoted your copy/paste and showed you it didn't mean anything. Now stop trying to make an obviously invalid point, sir. 

No, you completely ignored the copy-paste from the website where they say

BATTLEFIELD™ V DEPLOYS OCTOBER 2018

Enter mankind’s greatest conflict with Battlefield™ V as the series goes back to its roots with a never-before-seen portrayal of World War 2. Lead your squad to victory with new ways to turn the battlefield to your advantage. Assemble your Company of customized soldiers, weapons, and vehicles – then take them on an epic journey through the Tides of War. Experience the most intense, immersive Battlefield yet. You will never be the same.
__
Characters, locations, and weapons of war are all brought to life through vibrant, modern visuals and cutting-edge storytelling.
__
Tides of War is the grand journey of you and your Company of soldiers through the unsung, unexpected battlefields of World War 2.

Meanwhile the point about the prosethic arm and the fallout designs pissing people off the most is missed, while if they really wanted to shove a bunch of females in our face for a ww2 singleplayer campaign that's

never-before-seen portrayal of World War 2

Teh simple answer would have been Russians.
image.png.d33c14dccc232876f675ef92cc7dffaa.png
There's probably plenty of content in Stalingrad alone to make a whole game. But no fuck that right?

Next they'll Make Jewish Nazis for the sake of diversity in one of these games.

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Because you theoretically widen the spectrum of characters one can identify with? Not every gamer is male and a I can imagine a lot of male players wanting to play a female character, like me.

1 hour ago, Biggerboot said:

Because imagination?  Or lulz?

1 hour ago, Biggerboot said:

In all seriousness this feels like a marketing tactic.

1 hour ago, mynameisjuan said:

Not talking about just FPS. I have a few friends that will always be a girl character, even when hit boxes are not really relevant. 

1 hour ago, XenosTech said:

Smaller hit box tbh, I don't use them personally but I've gotten good at aiming because of them... Tiny body but you still got a big ass 5head

@Brooksie359 Open your eyes next time

1 hour ago, Bouzoo said:

Sadly, I have looked up about 20 websites/forums/youtube channels and it's the same thing everywhere. For reasons unknown to me, the number of people on their legs due to this is absurd. Literally absurd. 

If there are alot of people who are upset about it them maybe it isn't absurd? I mean maybe there is some legitimacy in what people are upset about?

People freaked when a woman was lead role for Star Wars Rogue One.  People freaked when a black man was a main character in The Force Awakens.  Just good ol' pointless internet outrage.

3 minutes ago, XenosTech said:

If you read what you quoted properly you'd see the key word there is portrayal 

I disagree with that, but I get how that's being interpreted. if that's what they meant, they should use "re-imagining". Like I said earlier, I'm open for a vaguely "ww2-inspired" game if they call it that. Remove the limitations of reality, it's a game. Don't have to go full wolfenstein to make a fun detachment from reality.

muh specs 

All parts black

Because of a woman? Are you kidding me?

ever since bf3 came out the core battlefield fans were put to the side to pander to a larger audience of lazy people (think cod), thats why people are mad, they have been destroying the franchise little by little ever since, and things dont seem to be improving, examples: the addition of suppression, the fact that they allow now a medic to carry the best weapons in the game, the adition of self healing after a while, the removal of commanders (and a horible return in bf4), allow support to carry and replenish its own ammo indefinitely which includes morter shells leading to campers, map design with huge choke points in it that lead to a clusterfuck of grenades and bullets, lack of dedicated servers means that the community wont be able to keep the game running after dice decides to close them, lack of option on the available servers means that admins don't have the tools to play the game how they want to leading to less communities being made and less social interaction, 

and there are probably many others that i can't remember right now. in the end the game is becoming much less fun to play.

Ps:

There is merit to not wanting feminism/ sjws touching our games they destroy most of what they touch, and rarely something goods comes from them.

as we seem in the past things like programmer wanted (men may not apply) which is a policy that will affect game quality long term as they aren't choosing from all good programmers.(if  my memory isnt wrong that example happened inside EA (might not have been a programmer))

1 minute ago, Beer_Nontitju said:

@Brooksie359 Open your eyes next time

All if them biol down to the reasons I already stated and ones that I said aren't worth it. So don't go calling me out like I haven't seen them. You clearly are not seeing my comments so how about you open your eyes. 

1 minute ago, Syntaxvgm said:

No, you completely ignored the copy-paste from the website where they say

This is surreal. I literally quoted out of your text. Here, let me make a depiction for you. 

srsly.jpg

I disagree with that, but I get how that's being interpreted. if that's what they meant, they should use "re-imagining". Like I said earlier, I'm open for a vaguely "ww2-inspired" game if they call it that. Remove the limitations of reality, it's a game. Don't have to go full wolfenstein to make a fun detachment from reality.

I again feel the grey area-ness of their word choosing is on purpose.  They want the controversy.  

Disagree all you want but the word means what it means. Nowhere there did they claim it to be an accurate representation of WW2 but they did say a never before seen portrayal of it. 

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

Just now, Biggerboot said:

I again feel the grey area-ness of their word choosing is on purpose.  They want the controversy.  

Why would you want controversy? That gets legacy media on your back which drives down sales.

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

21 minutes ago, Beer_Nontitju said:

The problem is the reason why they are not liking it.
They say it's because of the "historic inaccuracy", but 
1. Battlefield never pretended (in any game) to be historically accurate
2. There are many other bigger inaccuracies that didn't bother people that much

Which shows that, the outrage may actually be (intended or not) sexism hiding behind the curtain of "historical accuracy"

The last WW2 Battlefield game at least had a bit of historical accuracy, the problem that can be observed for now is that with the steampunk customized look, the COD machinegun spray and a soldier running around with a prosthetic arm, it is hardly a WW2 game at all.

I personally don't care that the character is female, i'm actually excited to see if female characters will have any exclusive perks like agility or better enemy spotting but EA/Dice could have tried and portrayed the female main character role as a Russian soldier.

2 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

here is merit to not wanting feminism/ sjws touching our games they destroy most of what they touch

Okay, let me quote my own thread again

Now, don't come with the "but the SJW are ruining blablabla" - they're not, the gameplay remains the same. It's just a woman get over it. EA/Dice put a woman on the cover because they wanted to.

I knew it was coming and it did

32 minutes ago, Cookybiscuit said:

Having an interest and respect for history = rampant sexism. I hope you didn't have too much difficulty tying your shoe laces this morning.

Having issues with accuracy ONLY WHEN IT'S WOMEN is sexism, it shouldn't be too hard to wrap your mind around that.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Just now, orbitalbuzzsaw said:

Why would you want controversy? That gets legacy media on your back which drives down sales.

It can sometimes work in your favor.  I think they word their stuff really carefully so they can be selective about what bits they want to represent accurately while taking creative liberties.

I'm not going to question their agenda behind it though.  Obviously at the end of the day they want the game to sell.

Just now, Sauron said:

Having issues with accuracy ONLY WHEN IT'S WOMEN is sexism, it shouldn't be too hard to wrap your mind around that.

Have you checked the thread title?

2 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

The last WW2 Battlefield game at least had a bit of historical accuracy

This is true, but I bet there are more people whining about the women right now than people who played 1942

Just now, Majinhoju said:

People freaked when a woman was lead role for Star Wars Rogue One.  People freaked when a black man was a main character in The Force Awakens.  Just good ol' pointless internet outrage.

No one freaked out at Rey being female lead for force awakens.
Rouge one was  freak out because that trailer was so fucking bad, Disney tier shit
"It's a rebellion, we rebel"
And thankfully, despite being a mostly forgettable halo reach but star wars movie, they never used that line or half the trailer really

I don't remember freak out about Boyega, I mean to some it felt like shoved in diversity, but all we had before that was like...lando and mace windu? I heard more disappointment from people who thought he'd be the main character.
Honestly, I'd prefer Fin to Rey. He's a bit more interesting. It's not  Daisy Ridley's fault, I just don't think her character was that well written. But it's not bad given the source material. I like her more than luke...I'm not a real SW fan
All said, I think TLJ is a better example of people freaking out. I really don't think it was all that good of a movie, but plenty of reasons that don't involve "sjw' shit. Stuff like that useless entire planet in a movie that's too long already. Or luke. Oh God Luke. I don't even like but but really? But 'sjws muh star wars' is at least 50%, if not more of the freakout there.
It's not like ghostbusters where they were like "all women, cause fuck you" and wrote it horribly and casted some pretty not funny people, then said not liking the idea is sexist. No TLJ was pretty reasonable imo

muh specs 

All parts black

TIL I am a sexist for wanting women where they actually were during WW2. Gameplay is obviously going to be different than actual fighting in WW2. That's where the "It's a game" is perfectly fine. The atmosphere and elements, however, should be as close to real as you possibly can to have that most "immersive game yet". I would have loved to see the Female Russian snipers. They are bad ass. But an amputee British solder? A complete lack of any real uniforms in the trailer? You are going to start losing me. Give us some Finnish vs Russian fighting. That's something we've never seen before and you could have the Female front line soldiers since that actually was a thing in the soviet union. Or just don't use the word WW2 to describe it without saying it's not an alternate reality or something. When you say WW2 to describe people expect something.

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.