Epic Games to drop $100m into Fortnite esports during the 2018-2019 season

ItsMitch

S: Epic Games (Tencent owned company)

Epic Games is preparing to step into the esports world with Fortnite Battle Royale as they have announced a prize pool of $100'000'000 for the first 2018 and 2019 seasons respectively. To put this into perspective, last year over 16 titles from across the gaming industry was only able to amass 100m from all 16 titles in 2017. 

DdvGWwMVwAAQqwU.jpg

Epic released this on their website

Fortnite Competitors!

Grab your gear, drop in and start training. Since the launch of Fortnite Battle Royale we’ve watched the passion for community competition grow and can’t wait to empower you to battle with the best.

In the 2018 - 2019 season, Epic Games will provide $100,000,000 to fund prize pools for Fortnite competitions. We’re getting behind competitive play in a big way, but our approach will be different - we plan to be more inclusive, and focused on the joy of playing and watching the game.

Stay tuned for more details about competitive structures and eligible platforms in the weeks ahead!

It's pretty funny to me, when CoD Black Ops 4 was announced, people was tweeting Rip Fortnite, think the joke is on them now since Call of Duty IW and Black Ops 3 was only able to award 8 million total. [S]

image.png.2130a4468884021d737aae5102e893f9.png

I'm happy with this, crazy money being on the table, time to get good. 

41 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

What a waste of money

Not necessarily. This could really develop the pro scene which could generate revenue from people watching as well as get more people to play.

That being said, $100 million is a lot to drop considering its highly possible fortnite will fizzle out in a year or two and not be as ridiculously popular as it is now.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

That's an insanely huge amount indeed. While I'm not into BR and don't see it as a eSport type of gameplay really duebto it's nature, great that it grows eSports in general I guess. 

Wish that this was for UT4 though xD. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

16 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Not necessarily. This could really develop the pro scene which could generate revenue from people watching as well as get more people to play.

First is almost everyone knows about this game...why advertise more.

Second....how about put the 100 million into more content, new game, expansion....anything but to people just because they play games all day.

3 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

First is almost everyone knows about this game...why advertise more.

Know about it, sure. Play it? Not necessarily.

There's always the consideration that it is an opportunity to generate ad revenue from sponsors and viewers, too.

4 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Second....how about put the 100 million into more content, new game, expansion....anything but to people just because they play games all day.

As long as they're pushing out a lot of content I'm fine with it. I must say though, 100 million is a lot to push out. I don't think they really needed that much... 50 million or maybe even 25 million woild be more than enough.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

They are very aware that Fortnite reeks of fad and is going to die in not too long unless they keep people interested. Capitalising on the already huge market of people watching Twitch streams and things is a very good way to make a buck and attempt to solidify their game in the public (something PUBG hasn't done so well).

I agree with @DocSwag, this is a lot of money to drop on something that isn't all that skill based. Even an awesome player depends on the loot they get and that isn't conducive to a fair competition. 

That's an F in the profile pic

7 hours ago, mynameisjuan said:

What a waste of money

To think you could buy a Ferrari LeFerrari nearly like 60 times for that kind of money, and its Fortnite...

I once did the unthinkable, back many headphones ago...

I split an audio split, again

6 hours ago, DocSwag said:

Know about it, sure. Play it? Not necessarily.

There's always the consideration that it is an opportunity to generate ad revenue from sponsors and viewers, too.

As long as they're pushing out a lot of content I'm fine with it. I must say though, 100 million is a lot to push out. I don't think they really needed that much... 50 million or maybe even 25 million woild be more than enough.

Tencent owned, that's nothing in their books

2 hours ago, Froody129 said:

They are very aware that Fortnite reeks of fad and is going to die in not too long unless they keep people interested. Capitalising on the already huge market of people watching Twitch streams and things is a very good way to make a buck and attempt to solidify their game in the public (something PUBG hasn't done so well).

I agree with @DocSwag, this is a lot of money to drop on something that isn't all that skill based. Even an awesome player depends on the loot they get and that isn't conducive to a fair competition. 

That's kinda the charm of it, its NOT fair play lol

if you take that out, it loses all the fun

53 minutes ago, Bcat00 said:

Tencent owned, that's nothing in their books

Doesn't necessarily mean the money is coming out of Tencent's pockets. Tencent just has a 40% stake in the company.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

3 hours ago, Froody129 said:

I feel that they'll need to somehow nullify this randomness in some way if they want the pro scene to truly takeoff.

In other FPSes or esports titles like LoL, Dota 2, and Rocket League, there's little to no randomness in the game. The players control nearly 100% of what goes on, making it almost entirely skill based. However, Fortnite has tons of randomness in the game. E.g. chest loot, bus location, air drops, whether or not the zone lands on you, etc. Imagine playing in a pro game with thousands of dollars at stake, landing at the same place as someone else, and ending up dying because there was a shotgun in their chest and a pistol in your's.

56 minutes ago, Bcat00 said:

That's kinda the charm of it, its NOT fair play lol

if you take that out, it loses all the fun

And while that's great, it really makes it hard to create a fair pro mode without a fair bit of customization to the game itself IMO

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Yeah I think the randomness of the game makes it hard to believe that Fortnite as an esport can truly take off. 

The other thing that was briefly mentioned but hasn't really been talked about is that it would be tremendously difficult to spectate, let alone commentate, on a full scale game of Fortnite. There is simply too much action occurring at once to be able to point out what's going on, particularly at the early stages of a game.

I watch a ton of esports, but I'm really skeptical about Fortnite being able to pivot into long term stable success. Smells too much like a Pokemon Go phenomenon to me. 

38 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Fortnite has tons of randomness in the game. E.g. chest loot, bus location, air drops, whether or not the zone lands on you, etc

Hell, even their aiming system is 100% RNG after the first shot. I just don't get how BRs can be competitive when there is so much randomness involved. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

2 hours ago, DocSwag said:

I can relate to where you are getting at. In terms of like competitive nature, you want everything to be as even as possible to make it fair on both sides. 

But in business terms, once you throw enough cash at it, which is exactly what's going on here, you can damn well expect people to swarm to it regardless of it being fair or not.

That's how the world works, things doesn't move unless money is involved, same applies to all the other competitive sports. Nobody will continue to compete in Dota 2 or CS:GO if the prize money is next to little or nothing.

9 hours ago, DocSwag said:

$100 million is a lot to drop

depends on how deep the pockets are and what risks are involved, thats why they have 100's if not 1000's of professionals to look into business decisions like that, while we can just contemplate this and that

The more companies will fund pools for games not suited for esports, the sooner esports will die altogether in the eyes of the rest of the world. Because if the game is bad for that, no matter the money, it won't end up okay. We all have seen what happened to overwatch esport journey...

15 hours ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Hell, even their aiming system is 100% RNG after the first shot. I just don't get how BRs can be competitive when there is so much randomness involved. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

not really a fn player- Isn't the first shot rng as well on most guns if you're moving at all?

Aim bloom. Such esport material.

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

An estimated 45 million people play Fortnite.  If each player buys one skin (at $24.00) that's enough money to run 10 x $100,000,000 tournaments.  The 100,000,000 is a gamble that will pay off nicely for Epic.

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

On 5/22/2018 at 2:32 PM, PCGuy_5960 said:

To be fair, any aiming system that wasn't RNG is unrealistic and boring.

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

People might disagree with this, but come on, Fortnite just has too much RNG to be competitive. Sure, it obviously takes a certain amount of skill, but it's just way too random. I'll never understand people taking that game seriously.

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

Am I the only one thinking that they've set aside that much money but not necessarily gonna use it all?

I mean it's a lot of money and it's great advertisement but it's an unprecedented amount over how many tournaments?

It'll cause massive inflation and esports will eventually turn into the shit show modern sports are.

the only way i can see this working is if they make a custom mode where all the drops are set instead of being random

Just now, spartaman64 said:

the only way i can see this working is if they make a custom mode where all the drops are set

Custom Mode has been in the works for a while now, consoles have limited versions that require a code to lobbies (streamers, etc) but Epic do plan on releasing a fully fleshed out mode for private games, esports, the stuff like that.