Noctua Releases new flagship fan - the Sterrox fan

Hello everyone, I've always been a lurker but I finally have something useful to share:

I Just got an email from Noctua (I'm subscribed to their newsletter) about new 120 mm fans. 

MSRP for the flagship is 29.90$ (pretty expesive if you ask me)

MSRP for the redux version is 13.90

They're also releasing a frame to mount 120mm fans to 140mm system and it sold seperately for the MSRP of 11.90

Link to their post in their official page : Here

Official video: 

Just a reminder of Linus's vidoe: 

Ooh. cool. When's the 140mm version coming out?

or their big fans they have like whats on the NH-D15 that has the 140mm mounts?

Also, 2.34 mm H₂O static pressure  is pretty impressive.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

4 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

I just edited the thread. Sorry, I was in a hurry to post :D . 

I don't think there will be 140 anytime soon. As I mentioned after I edited, they're also releasing a frame to mount 120mm fans to 140mm system and it sold seperately for the MSRP of 11.90

What I'm really hoping and waiting for is a chroma version

Now the question is, whether or not I get these in place of my Deltas.

I have EK Vardars right now that are a similar design and they do push a lot of air through my radiators.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

Exciting! Looking forward to media coverage of this. 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

23 minutes ago, x8x said:

I don't think there will be 140 anytime soon. As I mentioned after I edited, they're also releasing a frame to mount 120mm fans to 140mm system and it sold seperately for the MSRP of 11.90

but think of how epic a 140mm version would be....

though it would probably be like $50

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

it looks rigid as fuck.

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

1 hour ago, x8x said:

From the comments on the video:

The 140mm version is still in the works but won't be ready before next year.

2 hours ago, App4that said:

30 bucks for a poop colored fan! Yes please! /s

Well they are probably going to make a chroma version of the fan. If they don't then I don't even what the fuck they are doing.

But I guess that they still want to keep their color scheme for branding purposes kind of like how the cough syrup Buckley's is "tastes like shit but works" (not exactly said this way but along the line of. Can't be bothered to search for the exact slogan) 

Cpu:i5-4690k Gpu:r9 280x with some other things

3 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

Not anytime soon if you mean a fan with the new tech like smaller tip clearance.

NF-A15's are on the NH-D15 which are 'true all-rounders' like the NF-A12.

3 hours ago, Dylanc1500 said:

Now the question is, whether or not I get these in place of my Deltas.

From an interview: https://noctua.at/en/nf-a12x25-interview-lars-stromback

All things considered, we’re confident that the NF-A12x25 is the best 120mm fan currently available.  --Lars Strömbäck (Noctua CTO)

THE DAY HAS COME.

6770059ec6d18a10b94651d21ee94a9418e55157

Now waiting in anticipation for benchmarks...

tumblr_static_tumblr_static__640.gif

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

The fan looks pretty cool with the CGI blue streaks on it that are added for demo purpose in the video. Too bad they aren't actually blue on the product.

Noctua coloured fan.png

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

Not that I want to shit on every bodies fun, it's exciting to be enthused by new tech and all.  But in reality how many people would notice the difference between these and last years fans from any of the top 5 vendors?    I mean,  I really can't see how minute improvements in airflow/pressure and dB are going to be observable to the end user plus the law of diminishing returns  must kick in a full $10 earlier.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

9 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Not that I want to shit on every bodies fun, it's exciting to be enthused by new tech and all.  But in reality how many people would notice the difference between these and last years fans from any of the top 5 vendors?

It depends on if it's truly the best 120mm fan available. I haven't read such a statement about any other 120mm fan elsewhere since different fan designs are optimized for different usage scenarios. 

If it's as good as described, it could become the be-all and end-all for fan recommendations for anyone who isn't aiming for a different aesthetic. The 120mm to 140mm adapter can be seen as an indicator of how encompassing this fan might be.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

1 hour ago, WoodenMarker said:

It depends on if it's truly the best 120mm fan available. I haven't read such a statement about any other 120mm fan elsewhere since different fan designs are optimized for different usage scenarios. 

If it's as good as described, it could become the be-all and end-all for fan recommendations for anyone who isn't aiming for a different aesthetic. The 120mm to 140mm adapter can be seen as an indicator of how encompassing this fan might be.

Or the ludicrous levels of brand loyalty Noctua can tap into. We will see.

140mm fans will continue to be notably better though. Get on it Noctua.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

1 hour ago, WoodenMarker said:

I guess it is true that some people will pay for the best even if it doesn't make much sense cost wise. 

While I do hope they come out with the black-out versions I would not hesitate to make these the fan of choice for my next build, I do have an NH-D14 tho so I might be biased : ^ )

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

13 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

I guess it is true that some people will pay for the best even if it doesn't make much sense cost wise. 

If it's a fan that lasts and can be moved between different systems regardless of where it's being used, the value might not be too bad in the long run.

28 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

If it's a fan that lasts and can be moved between different systems regardless of where it's being used, the value might not be too bad in the long run.

Mechanical devices like fans tend to wear out no matter the design. I mean you can build it to last longer than the competition but there are limits to what you can do before it becomes prohibitively expensive to build it any better. I mean it would be hard to tell if it is worth it based on the info we have.

1 minute ago, Brooksie359 said:

Mechanical devices like fans tend to wear out no matter the design. I mean you can build it to last longer than the competition but there are limits to what you can do before it becomes prohibitively expensive to build it any better. I mean it would be hard to tell if it is worth it based on the info we have.

From what I've read, there are plenty of old noctuas still going strong and failure seems uncommon.

I know my friend's noctuas still are :) 

3 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

From what I've read, there are plenty of old noctuas still going strong and failure seems uncommon.

I know my friend's noctuas still are :) 

How much did those fans cost? Because what I am saying is that there is a limit to how well you can make a fan. It may last a long time but if the same can be said about the competition then does it really matter? 

Can't wait to see how overrated and overhyped these ugly fuckers will be.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.