Purchases that don't become obsolete

minervx

The sad part about tech is that in a few years, a lot of the stuff we buy will be outdated.  Out of curiosity, I looked around my home and thought about what I had purchased 5-10 years ago that is still good as ever right now, and I've come up with some of these: bedding, furniture and clothes (assuming ones of good quality were bought).  Also, anything audio related does not become obsolete.  While audio gear does have some improvements over the years, there's a lot of gear from 10 or even 20 years ago that are still great and suitable for professional and ethusiast application today.

PC Build: R5-1600.  Scythe Mugen 5.  GTX 1060.  120 GB SSD.  1 TB HDD.  FDD Mini C.  8 GB RAM (3000 MHz).  Be Quiet Pure Wings 2.  Capstone-550.  Deepcool 350 RGB.

Peripherals: Qisan Magicforce (80%) w/ Gateron Blues.  Razer Naga Chroma.  Lenovo 24" 1440p IPS.  PS4 Controller.

Audio: Focusrite (Solo, 2nd), SM57, Triton Fethead, AKG c214, Sennheiser HD598's, ATH-M50x, AKG K240, Novation Launchkey

Wishlist: MP S-87, iPad, Yamaha HS5's, more storage

1 minute ago, TheGlenlivet said:

When it comes to computer specific stuff -

PSU.  A good PSU has a long warranty and the way new hardware is developed to save as much power as possible (usually) you don't need a more powerful unit to run a new system.

Hell yeah my evga g3 will live FOREVER.

4 minutes ago, minervx said:

The sad part about tech is that in a few years, a lot of the stuff we buy will be outdated.  Out of curiosity, I looked around my home and thought about what I had purchased 5-10 years ago that is still good as ever right now, and I've come up with some of these: bedding, furniture and clothes (assuming ones of good quality were bought).  Also, anything audio related does not become obsolete.  While audio gear does have some improvements over the years, there's a lot of gear from 10 or even 20 years ago that are still great and suitable for professional and ethusiast application today.

Yes, that's true but I've also noticed that things are becoming less obsolete too, for example, Smartphones as we get more and more features we don't really get as excited (or is it just me). 

This bloody thing :D

I use it every day and works better then my smartphone

Never face dials unless i smash it into my head, never locks up, never updates, call time of a week, even longer standby.

I can drop this and it will not break, and i drop it alot :S worse case is that the battery pops out.

My smartphone on the other hand... 1-2 years max before i destroy it :( 

2018-04-16 18.06.54.jpg

Most peripherals last a long time as long as they don't break. There's no reason you couldn't use a PS2 Model M today, and no reason you couldn't use a 10+ year old laser/optical mouse today.

17 minutes ago, Cookybiscuit said:

Most peripherals last a long time as long as they don't break. There's no reason you couldn't use a PS2 Model M today, and no reason you couldn't use a 10+ year old laser/optical mouse today.

Currently a user of an '87 model M, I can agree.

24 minutes ago, Cookybiscuit said:

My backup mouse is a ten year old Intellimouse that still works :)

Optics don't become obsolete. For example, assuming you don't break them, a decent telescope or pair of binoculars will last you, your kids and your grandkids a lifetime.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

I can only think of cases, toilets, and uh... a gun. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Even 40 and 50 year old audio gear isnt obsolete. The best audio gear ive ever heard in my entire life is 40-50 years old. 

My dad buys and sells audio gear in the $4,000+ a piece range, so ive heard.my fair share to know.

30 year old audio gear and new-15 year old audio gear is mostly mediocre though.

1 hour ago, minervx said:

My yamaha ns10m speakers are about 40-45 years old now i think. A lot of the biggest music studios in the world still use them. 

Google "yamaha ns10m" in pictures, then.

Google "music studio" and search for those white cones. 

Knives, non electric tools, dishes, bath tubs, (in my case) AR15s, sun glasses.

38 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

.. a gun

Most guns can become obsolete. Obsolete doesn't mean no longer useful.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

I feel like desktop PCs aren't even that bad as far as obsolescence goes. The core i5 2400 from 2011 is still a very capable CPU, especially combined with 8gb of ram. And if you want to play games it's so easy to add a GTX 1050 for $150 (it used to cost less, damn cryptominers!). 

Bedding and clothes on the other hand become obsolete faster than I'd like. The major complaint I have is how fast fabric degrades. Especially tshirts that look terrible after only several months of wear. There's definitely some planned obsolescence involved here. Further, there are definitely different qualities of fabric or leather that are not clearly communicated to the consumer. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest that the lowest quality of materials and fabrics are used everywhere because the consumer doesn't care or know. 

The other major thing that I don't ever see becoming obsolete are musical instruments. If you take good care it lasts forever. 

There is certainly a lot of audio gear that is still "good" 20-40 years later, but could it have been predicted at the time?  I've got a Nikko Alpha 2 that is fantastic, but could you have known 30 years ago that it was going to be amazing and the next thing over on the retailer's shelf wasn't going to be?  NS10s are certainly the studio standard (though they're usually reference), but could that have been anticipated when they were new?

I think recognizing that something is going to last is the real trick!

The only really old computer hardware I'm still using is an ancient Antec Soho case and 4.1 Klipsch speaker system; everything else is five years old or newer.

A well purchased television can easily last you 5-10 years.  Even just the 32" 1360x768p HDTV on the wall in my bedroom, it's 7 years but why replace it?  It's the TV I watch YouTube on on lazy weekend mornings before getting out of bed.

Ditto for the 65" TV I got for my living room 18 months ago.  I did NOT buy that with the intention to replace that in 2-3 years, it's going to stand there a GOOD many years unless it blows up prematurely.

Only tech that I can say lasted long was my philips music player, 25+ years, but ended up dying :(

otherwise, well, some external HDDs that I've had for 6 or 7 years now and still work, my Wifi repeater has been going strong for 5 years now and still isn't obsolete (up to 300mbps download speed, but since my connection is only 50mbps... xD), a texas nspire cx cas that's been there for 7 years and still "works" (battery... eh, 15 min battery)

the rest, well, yeah, most got replaced. I still have all my old phones, they work fine, just not enough powerful for these days. PC? Got updated 2/3 times so not really, most is 1/2 years old.

The tech lasting the longest is clearly old music systems, maybe even vynil players.

A good monitor could last you a long while. Had a 1080p ViewSonic monitor and that lasted for 4-5 years if memory serves correctly

2 hours ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

a gun

I only protect my home with dual wield flintlock pistols :P

A good screwdriver can last you forever though. Seems like such a small thing but you have to put together every computer you build with one, and you don't often buy a replacement unless you bought a cheap one and it got stripped or lost.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Hard drives, while they do get obsolete, it takes a LONG time, like, Pre-Sata days with those IDE cables that I absolutely hate working with.

4 hours ago, Cookybiscuit said:

There's no reason you couldn't use a PS2 Model M

If I could get my hands on a Model M keyboard, I'd use that thing for as long as it's alive.

17 minutes ago, ZcanKal said:

If I could get my hands on a Model M keyboard, I'd use that thing for as long as it's alive.

They aren't that expensive, and you can buy clones that are pretty similar to the original by a company called Unicomp.