[UPDATED 2] - Nvidia GPP shows its first victim

9 minutes ago, Jack_of_all_Trades said:

Has AMD responded to this in any way ? Its gonna be too late when the mining boom ends, seems like right now(when any gpu flies off the shelf) at the peak of it is the only right moment. 

Their response has been to shop this story to the press. People like Kyle Bennet. That's why we know about it. Basically put the info out and make Nvidia look bad in the public eye amongst enthusiasts, and thereby try to slightly increases the negotiation power of the partners against Nvidia.

But that's it so far. No legal action from AMD so far.

Yep in terms of revenue and sales this will only hit AMD's bottom line when the mining boom ends. Right now the limiting factor is memory supply and fabrication.

This is a very clever play by Nvidia to take advantage of the current market situation using the fact that the partners are desperate for allocation to get them to sign on the dotted line. It also shows that Nvidia is still vary of AMD's upcoming products such as scalable Navi and APUs or intel-AMD partnerships hitting the laptop market.

5 hours ago, Humbug said:

Their response has been to shop this story to the press. People like Kyle Bennet. That's why we know about it. Basically put the info out and make Nvidia look bad in the public eye amongst enthusiasts, and thereby try to slightly increases the negotiation power of the partners against Nvidia.

But that's it so far. No legal action from AMD so far.

Yep in terms of revenue and sales this will only hit AMD's bottom line when the mining boom ends. Right now the limiting factor is memory supply and fabrication.

This is a very clever play by Nvidia to take advantage of the current market situation using the fact that the partners are desperate for allocation to get them to sign on the dotted line. It also shows that Nvidia is still vary of AMD's upcoming products such as scalable Navi and APUs or intel-AMD partnerships hitting the laptop market.

I don't think AMD can take legal action until they have some kind of argument that his has hurt their sales of cards. It would take a while and they would have to look and see how much sales have dropped off from partners around the time that GPP was implemented. If it is a substantial amount, Nvidia could have very serious legal action taken against them.

Personally, I'm no the side of not seeing how this really benefits the market in any meaningful way. Sure the partners are supposedly getting priority access to chips, but if every company is getting priority access, does it continue to be priority access or will Nvidia just make up something else to try and pull them in even more. Nvidia has an overwhelmingly large percentage of the market share (not that AMD has been super competitive as of late) but 99% of gamers and probably well over 90% of tech people would recommend something like a 1060 over a 580, assuming that the gamers are even aware that such a card exists (or even for that matter a company exists).

Example, when my brother was looking to upgrade his computer I opted for a new AMD card over the GTX 970 he was looking at. The reason being that he wanted high refresh rate gaming and couldn't afford a super powerful card (Overwatch and CS:GO are the only two games he really plays). I opted for AMD to get a high refresh FreeSync monitor for the games he can't push those high frame rates. He was unaware that there was even another company in the market that made cards.

When you have a situation like this, do you really need the GPP? Your only competition is already unable to compete at the same level. It just seems like Nvidia is spending more money and time to hobble AMDs forward movement to catch up than they are actually trying to move forward themselves.

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

9 hours ago, kladzen said:

Have you read the follow up on this?? People have found out the manual and other items contains "gaming" and so on... and this is for the "generic" box.. the issue is they have moved/transfered name but forgot to remove all the evidence in the manuals an such explaning it's a GAMING box an gaming focused.. ON A FUCKING GENERIC BOX.. that USED TO BE / IS the exact same as their "gaming brand" "aorus",,

You dont see an issue here??

I know, that's why it's pretty stupid of them to say that it doesn't target *GAMERS* when it's supposed to be a *GAMING* box. Also that's a pretty sloppy way of covering up the evidence

This just hardens my position on buying AMD cards.

That and if you get your hands dirty with a Vega 56 you equal a 1080 in performance with no variable refresh tax to pay.

I hope Navi isn’t underwhelming like Vega was..... otherwise we are all screwed.

7 hours ago, Humbug said:

It also shows that Nvidia is still vary of AMD's upcoming products

No it only shows that Nvidia is planning out their future and wanted a bigger piece of the pie if not all of it. You can't make a move like this when you standing at the top is up for question shortly thereafter, as no one would agree to terms if that were the reality.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

2 hours ago, DragonTamer1 said:

Personally, I'm no the side of not seeing how this really benefits the market in any meaningful way. Sure the partners are supposedly getting priority access to chips, but if every company is getting priority access, does it continue to be priority access

I think it's not so much what you get from being in, but what you stop getting if you don't join. 

There is of course no benefit for "the market", it's more of a zero-sum game between the involved companies, and possibly other related firms (like their competitors).

2 hours ago, DragonTamer1 said:

tWhen you have a situation like this, do you really need the GPP? Your only competition is already unable to compete at the same level. It just seems like Nvidia is spending more money and time to hobble AMDs forward movement to catch up than they are actually trying to move forward themselves.

I wouldn't look at this exclusively from an Nvidia vs. AMD point of view, though. This as much about the relationship between GPU makers as it is about the relationship between (one of the) GPU makers and AIB makers. In the end, the total revenue generated by selling graphics cards is

TR = number of GPUs x GPU price.

If everyone do their jobs, TR is already extracting all the possible surplus from consumers, and the question becomes how do we split TR between retailers, AIB vendors, GPU vendors, component suppliers... Much of the discussion is centered around whether Nvidia will get a larger share of TR relative to AMD, or even expand TR by reducing consumer choice, but if you don't see an obvious way in which GPP can hep with that (either because it doesn't seem powerful enough, or because Nvidia is already too large to grow further), maybe you have to consider other options, like Nvidia growing their share relative to AIB partners, for example. If AIB partners weaken their Radeon brands, they'll have a less credible threat to give up some Nvidia sales if their terms deteriorate. And, as you pointed out, while there's no Radeon equivalent to the Titan V, in the high volume segment consumers can actually go with either GPU maker and get their money's worth, so AIB partners could lean Green or Red depending on where they get the more attractive cut.

TL;DR: maybe we don't need to analyze this as a short run move against AMD specifically, but more as a step in a medium/long run strategy to achieve the best possible position within the industry (where "position" is not just about market share, but also about rent extraction and overall control of it).

no asus

why

W HY  YYY

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

5 hours ago, DragonTamer1 said:

Nvidia has an overwhelmingly large percentage of the market share (not that AMD has been super competitive as of late) but 99% of gamers and probably well over 90% of tech people would recommend something like a 1060 over a 580,

It's nowhere near that one sided. Yes most people blindly buy Nvidia but there is still a sizable minority community which buys and recommends AMD when they can. That's why Nvidia is doing this: to ensure that once the mining boom ends they will have the upper hand even more regardless of how competitive or non competitive Navi is on performance.

One thing you have to respect about Nvidia is that they never get complacent. Even if the current generation of AMD high end GPUs is not competitive Nvidia will keep innovating and pushing the boundaries to make their own stuff faster. They never sit still. They always do everything possible to secure their market whether it be through technical innovations, channel partnerships, marketing etc. Doesn't matter that vega64 is slower than 1080ti. We will focus on beating our own 1080ti by a decent margin. When AMD has somethign than us we will focus on beating them, until then we will use our own high end as the benchmark.

It's different in the x86 CPU world. Intel seems to really need AMD on their tail in order to get off their asses. So when AMD has architectures like Athlon64 and Zen cores is when Intel wakes up.

That's fine, I'm sure AMD can play that game as well. 

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

Oh my lord, why isn't anyone suing their asses yet?

This is a prime example of anti consumer bullshit

When the PC is acting up haunted,

who ya gonna call?
"Monotone voice" : A local computer store.

*Terrible joke I know*

1 hour ago, sof006 said:

That's fine, I'm sure AMD can play that game as well. 

No, they can't. To pull off something like this you need leverage. AMD has no leverage anywhere. They don't dominate any market.

On 2018/3/21 at 10:48 PM, Ryujin2003 said:

I checked the MSI website and still see AMD GamingX products... I'll be freaking pissed if they go away.

They are no longer available in stores.

17 hours ago, Humbug said:

So when AMD has architectures like Athlon64 and Zen cores is when Intel wakes up.

More like 'when Intel shits itself' #X299

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

On 3/22/2018 at 11:28 PM, Jurrunio said:

They are no longer available in stores.

More like 'when Intel shits itself' #X299

Checked, they are not available in most Belgian stores.

Intel indeed has the habit to shoot into action once AMD catches up, then they nearly let AMD go bankrupt & the cycle restarts.

What a monopoly, with Microsoft fingerbangin' everyone!

When the PC is acting up haunted,

who ya gonna call?
"Monotone voice" : A local computer store.

*Terrible joke I know*

On 3/22/2018 at 3:28 PM, Sfekke said:

Oh my lord, why isn't anyone suing their asses yet?

This is a prime example of anti consumer bullshit

Because Nvidia has a legion of lawyers behind them and the agreement is worded carefully enough that, I know this might sound hard to believe, it is extremely difficult to prove in court.

If AMD go to court, Nvidia can drag it through repeal and repeal all the way up.

Basically AMD has 100% given up the suing option by going to the press (a big no-no if you actually want to sue. Nvidia has already gotten away with it legally.

6 hours ago, Syryquil said:

Now their website doesn't have amd stuff unless you pick a specific card.

Have you got any script blockers on? Just tried it myself and it works, though you initially see Nvidia cards show up like in your video but then it filters correctly.

This is so funny

All the AIB will jump on board, if they don't, they wont be competitive. They will alll create a new brand name for their high-end AMD counterpart and profit from the GPP... except that, they wont really benefit from it, because everybody will be in it, so in the end they will be on equal footing, just like they are right now. This is just bullshit to hurt AMD even more. 

1 hour ago, dark_blade6@ said:

This is so funny

All the AIB will jump on board, if they don't, they wont be competitive. They will alll create a new brand name for their high-end AMD counterpart and profit from the GPP... except that, they wont really benefit from it, because everybody will be in it, so in the end they will be on equal footing, just like they are right now. This is just bullshit to hurt AMD even more. 

Well the partners are not doing it to hurt AMD.

But Nvidia has been very cunning. This is a time when due to the mining craze all the partners are desperate for supply. So it was probably not difficult to get them to sign on the dotted line, or else their allocation of chips would be assigned to somebody else...

Nvidia knows that this is the most opportune time to get the partners to sign, and Nvidia will reap the benefits over the next few years after the mining craze dies down.

Now we have MSI starting in Twitter that AMD cards are sub par, and will seemingly only sell them if they are up to the expected performance level....

I think a lot of these statements will be damaging to AMD, and not being sold under the gaming branding tag will hurt even more. Because gaming means it performs better... AMD is getting wrecked.. I really think that NVIDIA is going to get light up when a lawsuit eventually drops.

54 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

Now we have MSI starting in Twitter that AMD cards are sub par, and will seemingly only sell them if they are up to the expected performance level....

I think a lot of these statements will be damaging to AMD, and not being sold under the gaming branding tag will hurt even more. Because gaming means it performs better... AMD is getting wrecked.. I really think that NVIDIA is going to get light up when a lawsuit eventually drops.

Source? I just looked any couldn't find it.

EX- Host of CanadaComputers CCHotSpot

Ask me in PM why - if your wondering...

I don't agree with MSI here,don't like their cards either lol but the article claiming "sub-par" is rather clickbait when MSI stated "ahead of the GPU experience". Does MSI India's social media even speak for all of MSI? They aren't totally wrong about Nvidia being ahead when AMD cards are better for mining at the inflated prices.