Folding Community Board

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

16 hours ago, Kilrah said:

The phone doesn't act as a raw WiFi adapter but as a NAT router and AFAIK there's no way to forward ports on the phone like you'd do on a common router, so you can't reach the tethered device from outside. 

Use an actual WiFi adapter, USB or such.

Maybe at some point. It's not a big deal. I had the computer sitting around collecting dust and figured that I would put it to good use. Same goes for the phone. LOL.

Just checked the temp, 40.3C inside.... To fold or not fold... that is the question 

Nah... gonna keep folding, covid ain't resting, neither is my rig! 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Just now, marknd59 said:

I've had to take off my side panels.

desk-01.jpg

I dont even know where Foldatrons side panel is....

my main rig is a H500p has the front plexi taken off so no need to take the side panels off , the air flow is better with the rads and the 200mm fans enclosed. 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Just now, GOTSpectrum said:

I dont even know where Foldatrons side panel is....

my main rig is a H500p has the front plexi taken off so no need to take the side panels off , the air flow is better with the rads and the 200mm fans enclosed. 

I removed the panel on my rig back in April when I saw the CPU consistently reaching 94C (or higher!). With the glass off, it's usually ~78C (with a max of 84C). I'll be getting the Be Quiet! 500DX soon that has much better airflow.

Just now, justpoet said:

Airflow is king for constant load applications like folding.

Definitely. I saw those temps and said, "Well, that's as good a reason for a modern case as any." The 500DX comes with 3 fans plus I've got the one on my tower HSF. That should help out immensely when I upgrade everything. In the meantime, glass panel stays off ;)

17 minutes ago, justpoet said:

Airflow is king for constant load applications like folding.

Yep, theres a reason laptops generally fair terribly for sustained workloads

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

42 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

Yep, theres a reason laptops generally fair terribly for sustained workloads

SO TERRIBLE!!! Haha! Any laptop that fairs "well" is not one that you would want on top of said lap ;)

1 hour ago, justpoet said:

I hear next month will be a great time for that! ;) 

I have decided, on further consideration, to hold steady with the current systems and not upgrade with the 3000 launch.

Due to a combination of factors:

BABY coming wooooooooo!  Very excited and appropriately scared about this

Student loans are so close to being paid off

Lots of house projects going on that cost $

And in terms of PC hardware and "futureproofing", I bought some of the highest end hardware for my home system (intel 3350P + GTX 970 ---> 9900k + 2080ti on water) and work system (ryzen 2200g + GTX 760---> 3900x + 2080ti in one of the best air cooled set ups) and honestly should be happy with what I have for a while and leave it alone.  I am already pretty far ahead of the next console generation in terms of gaming that hasnt even launched, and I can video edit, stream, and do pretty much whatever I want.  I think the next upgrade will be put off for at least another GPU generation, if not an additional one.  Plus 2.5M-3M PPD on my 24/7 folder is nothing to sneeze at!

The recruiting of GPU's has involved firing up Barbados Slim (old PC made of parts lying around) and my wife's (RX580) to get me to there :).  Not that I am stopping after, just excited for the next badge.

El Zoido:  9900k + RTX 4090 / 32 gb 3600mHz RAM / z390 Aorus Master 

The Box:  3900x + RTX 3080 /  32 gb 3000mHz RAM / B550 MSI mortar 

Picked up a node 605 on a whim (though a grandia gd09 became available right after, sigh) and deployed some current stock into it while the psu from my main rig is on a trip across the width of the continent for a RMA. I'd like to think the window mesh is doing something, but in reality it's probably not. Wraith prism came in handy as I had no other coolers for the only other am3+ board I had lying around, since I cba to swap the entire system over temporarily.

One of the drive cages met with a dremel within the first 24 hours since I couldn't fit both a server fan and a 3.5in drive concurrently, so one of 'em had to go.

117402194_585840435435344_3179592080358216943_n.jpg

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

17 minutes ago, Zberg said:

I have decided, on further consideration, to hold steady with the current systems and not upgrade with the 3000 launch.

Lots of house projects going on that cost $

And in terms of PC hardware and "futureproofing", I bought some of the highest end hardware for my home system (intel 3350P + GTX 970 ---> 9900k + 2080ti on water) and work system (ryzen 2200g + GTX 760---> 3900x + 2080ti in one of the best air cooled set ups) and honestly should be happy with what I have for a while and leave it alone.  I am already pretty far ahead of the next console generation in terms of gaming that hasnt even launched, and I can video edit, stream, and do pretty much whatever I want.  I think the next upgrade will be put off for at least another GPU generation, if not an additional one.  Plus 2.5M-3M PPD on my 24/7 folder is nothing to sneeze at!

The recruiting of GPU's has involved firing up Barbados Slim (old PC made of parts lying around) and my wife's (RX580) to get me to there :).  Not that I am stopping after, just excited for the next badge.

Rock on. Yeah, good choice all around. I was in a similar situation 6 years ago with starting a family, quitting my teaching job of 10 years, moving, paying off my undergrad debt, and starting grad school. Tends to be moments like yours where you take stock and redirect money in different places. LOL.

Congrats on the baby!!!

2 hours ago, Zberg said:

Congrats!  Kids are awesome!  Especially early on.  Also, being debt free is awesome too!  Good job!

Hi all 

just thought i would pop in and say hello. 

started folding some time ago but not got much horse power at the moment. 

i have a question tho. is it better to have more clock speed or more cores. im only CPU folding at the moment as cant power my old 770 right now.

31 minutes ago, thelordsmith said:

Hi all 

just thought i would pop in and say hello. 

started folding some time ago but not got much horse power at the moment. 

i have a question tho. is it better to have more clock speed or more cores. im only CPU folding at the moment as cant power my old 770 right now.

Welcome to the team!!!

As far as cores go, I'd imagine more cores is better, because for example, lets take a quad core, you would need to overclock it by 30-50% vs getting six core processor. (I know it isn't always that simple and there are many complicated things going on in folding). But generally more cores at a lower frequency will be better for power consumption too, something to bare in mind when folding. 

Also, if you can get a GPU I'd really suggest it, even a 1650 would murder most CPUs! 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

1 hour ago, GOTSpectrum said:

Welcome to the team!!!

As far as cores go, I'd imagine more cores is better, because for example, lets take a quad core, you would need to overclock it by 30-50% vs getting six core processor. (I know it isn't always that simple and there are many complicated things going on in folding). But generally more cores at a lower frequency will be better for power consumption too, something to bare in mind when folding. 

Also, if you can get a GPU I'd really suggest it, even a 1650 would murder most CPUs! 

I second this. Until I recently replaced it, my old R9 280 would eviscerate my CPU by a 1-2 orders of magnitude. Any GPU is going to help.

As far as cores go, more is definitely better. Even when folding with only a GPU, F@H still reserves at least one core on the CPU for some aspects of the computation.

Also... welcome aboard!

17 hours ago, Zberg said:

-responsibility snip-

Make sure to get them into folding early ;) Congrats man

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

18 hours ago, Zberg said:

Congrats man, being a parent was super rewarding for me! You really do learn so much about yourself! 

PS the white noise of computer fans is super soothing to most babies 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Hi guys, i'm back folding after some weeks out of it. My rx 580 used to get around 450k PPD on average, going as high as 6-700k depending on the WU. Now, i'm getting a lot of covid moonshot WU's, 13421 mostly, but i'm getting lower PPD, it says it's around 250-300k. On some cancer WU's i'm getting normal PPD so it's not the gpu. It's just the specific WU's? Am i the only one noticing it?

15 minutes ago, Critaek said:

Hi guys, i'm back folding after some weeks out of it. My rx 580 used to get around 450k PPD on average, going as high as 6-700k depending on the WU. Now, i'm getting a lot of covid moonshot WU's, 13421 mostly, but i'm getting lower PPD, it says it's around 250-300k. On some cancer WU's i'm getting normal PPD so it's not the gpu. It's just the specific WU's? Am i the only one noticing it?

Moonshot WUs are a bastard, sometimes they give my 1080 1.4m othertimes 800k. Just the nature of the type of work the Moonshot WUs are doing. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Ugh, I have a conundrum.  My RX5700 is really not liking the 13420 project (which, according to the forums, is not an uncommon problem for my setup).  It gets to the point that the client just plain stops crunching WUs on it, since it is failing so much.  I've seen strings of where it happens 10 times in a row, with 28 in total just yesterday.

I get the impression from the community on the folding forums that this sort of behavior is more harmful than helpful to the science, and while points are nice, my main goal here is to help the scientists - not contribute to their frustrations.  I've been toying with the idea to put my GPU folding on pause until FAHcore 0.0.12 comes out (sometime next week hopefully), but I don't know if that is the right course of action.

1 minute ago, juls_397 said:

Hi guys,

I decided to start folding yesterday to contribute to something useful with my new build. This was a good reason to finally join the forum, so hello and greetings from Germany!

WELCOME FINE SIR! 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240