Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

@warmmilk that K20 doesn't sound to bad, does it? I've heard a K24 before (the one ariel atom ive seen in my lifetime), it sort of sounds like it. 

I wish i had that much brakes... my car only does . 7 G's approx of braking lol

and 1.1G turns, cool! ive never been able to test mine safely xD

and my corolla with its amazing 125 hp and econobox transmission gets a whopping 0.3G's while accelerating. WOWZA! xD

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Just gonna leave this here:

AfhlC0o.jpg

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

so guys, i have a question.

is it better to buy a car that is decent at $1200 or less  and fix it up or to buy a car that is more solid at $2000 or so?

(plz quote as i dont follow this thread)

My Rig  

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/kGNksY

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($379.00 @ shopRBC) 

CPU Cooler: RAIJINTEK THEMIS 65.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($34.99 @ NCIX) 

Motherboard: MSI CSM-H87M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($78.83 @ DirectCanada) 

Memory: Kingston HyperX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($139.99 @ Memory Express) 

Storage: Kingston Fury 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($71.34 @ DirectCanada) 

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($92.95 @ Vuugo) 

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card  ($298.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($125.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($66.99 @ NCIX) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($116.00 @ shopRBC) 

Case Fan: Cougar Turbine 120 (4-Pack) 60.4 CFM 120mm  Fans  ($23.99 @ NCIX) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Keyboard: Logitech G710 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($114.99 @ NCIX) 

Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 Wired Optical Mouse  ($76.99 @ Amazon Canada) 

Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Pro Headset  ($78.98 @ DirectCanada) 

Total: $2074.22

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when availableGenerated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-10 15:33 EDT-0400Build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/303263-the-dell-from-hell/#entry4121100 

Phone Compassion Spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EN6s426gyxqPloIqT4wQ7Y7yovkkQy_5B3djVN-N-R8/edit#gid=0

Gta V Pc Online Crew http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/344773-unofficial-linus-tech-tips-gta-v-crew-pc/

is it better to buy a car that is decent at $1200 or less  and fix it up or to buy a car that is more solid at $2000 or so?

Around here the separation between a 1200 and 2k dollar car is pretty small. Once you get to 3k + the cars are a bit better.

Anyway, if you can fix cars yourself then yeah... the cheaper one. If you have to pay to have it fixed then no, its not worth it. Save up for something better. 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max

$2000 solid option

That is very little room to account for all that may be wrong with the car.

System: Thinkpad T460

-snip-

If I am not mistaken it is not because of emissions. Unless your in California... but really F Californian. 

Spotted this one too.

Then a Porsche drove past.

The only time I saw one in person was at Microcenter of all places.

The only time I saw one in person was at Microcenter of all places.

probably had to get a new 980 for his dash gauges.

Blarg

If I am not mistaken it is not because of emissions. Unless your in California... but really F Californian. 

:angry:

System: Thinkpad T460

:angry:

Just saying the truth. 

is it better to buy a car that is decent at $1200 or less and fix it up or to buy a car that is more solid at $2000 or so?

Depends on when you have the money to fix it up because with 2k your still going to have problems. The one thing you should really look for is when the owner just went fuck it this car isn't worth anything so they'll start trashing it around

AMD FX 8350 | 2X XFX RADEON HD7850 | ASUS SABERTOOTH R2.0 | NZXT GUARDIAN 921RB | KINGSTON HYPER-X 2X8GB 

Power goals for when i get my next car.

If it is american 

If it is european. (This one is front/four wheel drive though)

If it is japanese

If your on a budget they'll probably all end up with ls1's xD

Also i see a lot of this sort of car around on this thread, and ill be honest, i have no fuckin clue when it comes to these cars.

Went and had a look at it today all the vital electronics seem to work, wipers ect.

This a good deal?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mercedes-Benz-380SEL-1984-4-door-sedan-blue-/271917000081?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item3f4f842591

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

As I get older I get angrier more cynical, meaner. I feel some warning posts coming. I feel a ban coming. I was warned.

CPU-i5 2400 GPU-Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC Mobo-H67MA-D2H-B3 Ram-G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb 1333mhz Case-Fractal Define R4 PSU-Corsair CX750 Storage-Samsung EVO 250gb, 1tb WD Black,Hitachi 1tb Other stuff-Corsair K90, M90 Cooling-3x 140mm Fractal fans Sound-Sennheiser HD438 headphones

If your on a budget they'll probably all end up with ls1's xD

Also i see a lot of this sort of car around on this thread, and ill be honest, i have no fuckin clue when it comes to these cars.

Went and had a look at it today all the vital electronics seem to work, wipers ect.

This a good deal?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mercedes-Benz-380SEL-1984-4-door-sedan-blue-/271917000081?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item3f4f842591

R0jaioG.png

Oh god why..

The saying "There is nothing more expensive than a cheap mercedes" usually rings true. But if you like it i won't stop you.

Check spare prices on what needs to be done to it and decide after that.

If you end up buying it then subscribe to Kent Bergsma (Mercedessource) on youtube. That guy has saved my bacon repeatedly.

Also keep in mind. Spares are three times more expensive but usually break three times less often

If i'm on a budget i won't be buying ls1's xD. I'd tune the original engines/find better tuning bases on the used market. 

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

The Car thread car of the year right here

ITReog4.jpg

"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

I'll just leave this here.

Still going through photos from Cars and Coffee Toronto and a round of CSCS, in case anyone's interested.

The JDM 458 that was finished last month.

11072629_10153336792461815_3246035578064

A R34 GT-T with a GT-R kit on it, but the general public are none the wiser.

11696256_10153336792181815_8937232106363

These never get old.

10012965_10153336792026815_3203334867735

The infamous 2JZ swapped dtrift car.

11222543_10153336791761815_6475621886271

Lastly, one of the rarest modern Porsches in North America and a 50th as a bonus.

11700566_10153336791571815_3006726135302

11717536_10153336795216815_9148967763732

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

Oh god why..

The saying "There is nothing more expensive than a cheap mercedes" usually rings true. But if you like it i won't stop you.

Check spare prices on what needs to be done to it and decide after that.

If you end up buying it then subscribe to Kent Bergsma (Mercedessource) on youtube. That guy has saved my bacon repeatedly.

Also keep in mind. Spares are three times more expensive but usually break three times less often

If i'm on a budget i won't be buying ls1's xD. I'd tune the original engines/find better tuning bases on the used market. 

Hmmm, i was just gunna try and roadworthy it and slam it. Might take another closer look then cheers.

And ls1's are the cheapest power you'll get. Full twin turbo setup (inc everything) just went for 2k. Ls1's over here are ~1200 in the car, so you can sell off the bits and maybe end up paying 200 ish. Plus sell the engine in the car. Thats in straya.

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

As I get older I get angrier more cynical, meaner. I feel some warning posts coming. I feel a ban coming. I was warned.

CPU-i5 2400 GPU-Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC Mobo-H67MA-D2H-B3 Ram-G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb 1333mhz Case-Fractal Define R4 PSU-Corsair CX750 Storage-Samsung EVO 250gb, 1tb WD Black,Hitachi 1tb Other stuff-Corsair K90, M90 Cooling-3x 140mm Fractal fans Sound-Sennheiser HD438 headphones

wasted my whole july 4th extended weekend because of how god damn hot Texas summer heat is. could only finish about 50% of what I planned

at least got my front end mods done, mostly happy with how it turned out

P_20150705_212024_zpsdqaqnglu.jpg

Every fucking time. They spend too much time worrying about banning these cars they forget about how bad these "rat rods" are. They're so fucking dirty. But really i hate that every import that comes into America has to come bone stock, no mods whatsoever. fuck them.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Hmmm, i was just gunna try and roadworthy it and slam it. Might take another closer look then cheers.

And ls1's are the cheapest power you'll get. Full twin turbo setup (inc everything) just went for 2k. Ls1's over here are ~1200 in the car, so you can sell off the bits and maybe end up paying 200 ish. Plus sell the engine in the car. Thats in straya.

I thought the auction ended a few hours ago?

Ls1's don't look as good as the original engine though. I want to keep the car looking somewhat period correct^^

wasted my whole july 4th extended weekend because of how god damn hot Texas summer heat is. could only finish about 50% of what I planned

at least got my front end mods done, mostly happy with how it turned out

- snip -

Looking good  ^_^

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

My 2002 Ford Focus over heated this morning on the way into work. 

No noticeable leaks in the engine bay or on the road, but the coolant tank was empty. I had the Focus towed back to my place, and took the Mustang into work instead. Now I have been doing nothing but reading on this issue and contemplating since I got to work.

My first thought was a head gasket, but the internet seems to think that those head gaskets in the non-SVT cars almost never go, but the bearing on the water pump is a common failure. When the bearing fails it stops pumping water, and the engine starts to cook off the coolant in the engine, as that boils off the extra coolant in the reservoir replaces it. Once the reservoir is empty the engine gets hot.

I am going to do a compression test this evening, and fill the thing up with water to try and see if I can find any leaks. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro