Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

7 hours ago, iDeFecZx said:

It is

Can confirm.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

6 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

they just don't last very long, they kinda fall apart everywhere. 

One of those "only good when new" cars

4 hours ago, vetali said:

Can confirm.

Because from what I have read, the engine and manual transmission is strong and trouble free. The rest of the car is Italian (aka built with iffy quality standards)

Is what I have read, incorrect?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

2 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

Because from what I have read, the engine and manual transmission is strong and trouble free. The rest of the car is Italian (aka built with iffy quality standards)

That's what I read when I was looking at buying one a while ago as well. There seemed to be issues with plastics and electronics quality. If you haven't already, I'd ask around on Abarth/Fiat forums specifically and see what experiences they've had.

11 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

Engines are fairly robust, gearboxes are awful on them, know a few people who've had them and gone through multiple boxes

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

The roads here got salted for the first snow of the year and cold snap a few days ago, but yesterday it rained... I wasn't sure if it rained enough to clear the salt off so I swiped the street in front of my house with my finger then used the only salinity detector I have available. I liked my wet street finger. Ok so street does not taste good, the aftertaste really lingers, but it was barely salty. I might take the car out for the last drives of the year tomorrow and/or Saturday and I'm very excited about that. I've been kind of ticked about only getting 2 days after the intake was on to drive it around.

13 hours ago, Bitter said:

The roads here got salted for the first snow of the year and cold snap a few days ago, but yesterday it rained... I wasn't sure if it rained enough to clear the salt off so I swiped the street in front of my house with my finger then used the only salinity detector I have available. I liked my wet street finger. Ok so street does not taste good, the aftertaste really lingers, but it was barely salty. I might take the car out for the last drives of the year tomorrow and/or Saturday and I'm very excited about that. I've been kind of ticked about only getting 2 days after the intake was on to drive it around.

What do you drive that has you worried about road salt?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

3 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

What do you drive that has you worried about road salt?

Nearly 23yr old Toyota with coilovers and poly bushings.

6 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Nearly 23yr old Toyota with coilovers and poly bushings.

Ah, yes, old cars, as lovely as they are, rustproofing was not as...advanced...as we have these days.

See, this is where old Italian cars are superiour. They leak oil, not because the engine needs repair, but to lubricate the chassis against rust 😆

Found out the oil cap is optional on the Celica, I got distracted by the dogs before leaving to run an errand and didn't put the cap on. 20 mile highway drive, I lost about 1/8th of a qt onto my engine and made a stupidly annoying mess to clean up.

Saw this....thing....at the store. Plate decodes to an 02 Trail Blazer with a 4.2 I6.

messages_0(19).jpeg

messages_0(18).jpeg

So this came back after a bunch of work, I heard some valve train noise but the owner wasn't worried "I change my oil every 3000 miles, it's fine"

Nope. Was not fine. 20221129_125003.thumb.jpg.17b1b940cc41f2211064329bd9a0908b.jpgIMG_20221129_123458.thumb.jpg.db12495e1cfae2418ed95d33b839d886.jpg

Client states that Duke of Oil has been using high mileage synthetic every 3000 miles for years. I have some serious doubts about that. Either they've been subbing in regular oil, haven't actually been changing the oil, or he had someone take it for oil changes and they just took the money and lied. That's nasty for 173,000 miles for synthetic every 3K, something doesn't add up.

Thats not due to dino oil. Thats due to not rotating your tires every oil change.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2 hours ago, vetali said:

Thats not due to dino oil. Thats due to not rotating your tires every oil change.

It's clearly because they used beam wiper blades, duh

39 minutes ago, Bitter said:

It's clearly because they used beam wiper blades, duh

The thought of bringing my car for an oil change some place and them not actually doing it, kinda sickens me 

it’s such an easy thing to pull too… not the first time I’ve heard it suspected either 😕 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

I never knew speed rating on tires meant anything until today. Holy shit you can really tell when you are going faster than what your tires are rated for.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

2 hours ago, Bitter said:

If I do an exhaust cutout, I found the button I'm using for it.

Screenshot_20221203-142638_AliExpress.jpg.cd94f851662068d7812b6b895509d7fd.jpg

I can't think of a more perfect button for that.

Its almost 2023, make your own with a stick figure bending over and a trumpet sticking out of their ass.

29 minutes ago, vetali said:

Its almost 2023, make your own with a stick figure bending over and a trumpet sticking out of their ass.

Someone else suggested the OEM Party Mode button, which I also like.

spacer.png

Mercedes OEM tires have foam in them for acoustic reasons.

IMG_20221206_155747.thumb.jpg.7c3415450822aff9c84961cf4be5ab5d.jpg

Learned something new today.

Anyone else see this fascinating TTC video?

14 minutes ago, Bitter said:

They've been doing this for several years now if I remember correctly

34 minutes ago, Bitter said:

-snip-

Learned something new today.

My parents’ Q7 has this feature. When they went to get a tire patched the ppl weren’t sure they were gonna be able to do it because they’ve never seen that before lol 

I think they ended up buying some Michelins or conti’s without the foam. Because the OG tires with the foam are incredibly expensive (like $500 per tire or something stupid like that) and not too great.

They said they didn’t notice a difference

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Yeah the PS 4S don't have the foam and aren't MO or MO1 marked, customer is a good friend of the boss so the boss priced out the OEM PS 3's and they're not that much more than the PS 4S which is a higher performance tire. We'll probably slap on another set of the OEM tires that'll take the car to around 60K miles and I'll be shocked if he doesn't trade it on another one by then cause it'll be almost 10 years old at that point and this guy just doesn't keep cars that long anymore.

14 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

They said they didn’t notice a difference

Nice

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

PS 4S installed on wheels, they'll go on the car in the spring.

Boss called the owner last night (they're old friends) and the owner said "look I bought a performance car so if these are higher performance tires then that's what I want on it" WELL OK SIR! Lol. I can't imagine this thing on some real track use Pilot Sport Cup tires or Proxes or something, the worn PS3's were already pretty good with the AWD and little turbo lag. I didn't do any launches because that's abuse of a customer vehicle but boy do I want to....

Topped off my DEF/adblue today. I don’t let it drain all the way I try to time it so I can fill it up when it’s about halfway and a single 2.5 gal jug fills it up.

but today When I got to the end of the bottle I felt some of the crystals that had formed on top of the bottle fall on my hands

hope none of that made it into the tank…. Lol because my luck that will clog something and end in a delete and I don’t really feel like spending all that rn 

So I guess note to self don’t get every last drop out of the bottle. Not worth it 

22k miles and about 1 year, 1 mo into ownership, Oil change #4 soon! 🙂 

Spoiler

Gotta be careful with deletes, EPA been cracking down on shops that do them. Seen a couple shops recently that specialized in brodozers that closed up suddenly.